PDA

View Full Version : Shy cat -- will guests traumatize him?

April 22nd 06, 01:53 AM
One of my two cats is very skittish. I have only had one (maybe two)
people in my condo at a time before. He runs in the other room and
hides behind the bed. In some of these instances, he will come out of
the other room (very timidly) but he then runs back to the other room
if the person just makes a very minor move (e.g. crosses their legs or
something).

I may have six people in my condo and I am concerned how much this will
scare/traumatize him. How should I handle this? I have the option of
not meeting at my place.

TIA for any hints you can give me.

Matthew AKA NMR
April 22nd 06, 02:06 AM
Keep him in the other room cats are shy by nature and curious to heart.
That many people are going to scary the heck out of the cat if you force the
cat upon them. Leave the door ajar to let him come out and go on his own
and tell the people don't touch or try to touch unless the cat lets them
or you will have holy hell on your hands.

You may want to put a litter box and food plus water dish in there and make
sure he has a place to hide in the room.

If you are going to be going in and out of the place and the cat is not an
outdoor cat close the door and put kitty up accident will happen

Sorry not to many choices to do you are not going to traumatize him unless
one of your guest gets stupid and makes a grab for him than if feel sorry
for that person because the secret ninja lion in every cat will come out
and will show some tricks never experience in that persons' life and the
makings of an American funniest home video would be in the works

It may take a day or two for him to get used to he fact everyone is gone
once it is over so make sure you spoil him after words

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> One of my two cats is very skittish. I have only had one (maybe two)
> people in my condo at a time before. He runs in the other room and
> hides behind the bed. In some of these instances, he will come out of
> the other room (very timidly) but he then runs back to the other room
> if the person just makes a very minor move (e.g. crosses their legs or
> something).
>
> I may have six people in my condo and I am concerned how much this will
> scare/traumatize him. How should I handle this? I have the option of
> not meeting at my place.
>
> TIA for any hints you can give me.

April 22nd 06, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

My condo is a small one bedroom (only 750 sq feet) -- the litter is in
the bedroom (not really any other place in the house) so he can hide
there and the guests will be in the dining room & living room.
However, I didn't think of putting food & water in there -- so that
idea will be helpful.

Frank Pittel
April 22nd 06, 02:20 AM
wrote:
: One of my two cats is very skittish. I have only had one (maybe two)
: people in my condo at a time before. He runs in the other room and
: hides behind the bed. In some of these instances, he will come out of
: the other room (very timidly) but he then runs back to the other room
: if the person just makes a very minor move (e.g. crosses their legs or
: something).

: I may have six people in my condo and I am concerned how much this will
: scare/traumatize him. How should I handle this? I have the option of
: not meeting at my place.

: TIA for any hints you can give me.

The cat will hide while people are there but will get over it quickly when
they leave. I had one cat that would run and hide when people came over and
no sooner did I close the door behind them when they left the cat would come
out of hiding acting like nothing happened!
--

-------------------

Anna via CatKB.com
April 22nd 06, 04:24 AM
>TIA for any hints you can give me.

I have 3 cats, one has always been social and stays when company comes over
but the other two (seniors) have hidden their whole lives. Just let them go
where ever they want (mine go under the bed) and yes, provide food, water and
box there. Don't try and bring them out to meet people, if they want to come
out they will. You can also shut the door to your bedroom so that it is even
quieter for them. Once your guests leave, they'll come out and probably
sniff everywhere which is cute.

April 22nd 06, 05:17 PM
So... It sounds like this should not be a problem. My fear was that
his heart would be pounding so much that he could get sick (or worse).
Since I suffer from panic attacks, I didn't want him to have a 2-3 hour
"episode" like I can get during stressful situations.

Once again, thanks to everyone! Cat lovers are some of the nicest
people in the world. None of the caustic and/or sarcastic
replies/comments I often get on other newsgroups.

April 22nd 06, 08:10 PM
wrote:

>Once again, thanks to everyone! Cat lovers are some of the nicest
>people in the world. None of the caustic and/or sarcastic
>replies/comments I often get on other newsgroups.

Heh, stick around :-)

-mhd

LB
April 23rd 06, 10:00 PM
Hi , you write:
> One of my two cats is very skittish. I have
> only had one (maybe two) people in my condo at
> a time before. He runs in the other room and
> hides behind the bed.
-------
This is common enough. While some cats are genuinely frightened, others
just like to scramble to a safety zone while listening, smelling and
later inspecting newcomers from a chosen vantage point. It's not a big
deal, really, as long as you ask guests not to capture the cat for
enforced affection.

Closing the door may make YOU feel better, but it may not be
necessary--especially given that over time cats may become accustomed
to the noises and smells of certain people and will eventually venture
out to explore and satisfy curiosity.

I think cats are often more brave than people credit them, and this
should be encouraged rather than squelched. Ha! No sense in putting a
sweater on a cat just because WE get cold.