PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Scratching Post in Toronto

Joe Canuck
April 22nd 06, 06:48 AM
Ruby Tuesday wrote:
> My cat's scratching post needs to be replaced. The rope is falling off,
> which is a big part of it. I would like to replace it with an exact same
> one. I went to the store (Feed Your Pet) where I bought it, but they don't
> have any like it in the store anymore.
>
> Basically it's a triangle with thick sisal rope on the sides, and beige
> carpeting everywhere else. Dangling from the top of the triangle on the
> inside of it, is a ball of carpety stuff from a strand of sisal rope. It's
> a very sturdy thing, my cat has given up on trying to get the ball of stuff
> down to the ground.
>
> So - anyone have any suggestions where I can go in Toronto to get a nice
> scratching post?

You don't need to replace the post.

You do need to replace the rope around the post and anything else that
needs replacing such as carpet, etc.

This is a do-it-yourself project.

Sisal rope is available and sold by the foot in hardware stores. Simply
take a sample of the rope presently around the post down to your local
hardware store to purchase enough to re-wrap the post.

Surprisingly, it takes more of the rope to wrap a post than you might
think so don't underestimate and purchase more rope that your estimate.

Ruby Tuesday
April 22nd 06, 08:41 AM
My cat's scratching post needs to be replaced. The rope is falling off,
which is a big part of it. I would like to replace it with an exact same
one. I went to the store (Feed Your Pet) where I bought it, but they don't
have any like it in the store anymore.

Basically it's a triangle with thick sisal rope on the sides, and beige
carpeting everywhere else. Dangling from the top of the triangle on the
inside of it, is a ball of carpety stuff from a strand of sisal rope. It's
a very sturdy thing, my cat has given up on trying to get the ball of stuff
down to the ground.

So - anyone have any suggestions where I can go in Toronto to get a nice
scratching post?

TIA,

- RT

Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child
playing with matches.

- Unknown

Joe Canuck
April 22nd 06, 06:50 PM
Ruby Tuesday wrote:
> "Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
>> Ruby Tuesday wrote:
>>> My cat's scratching post needs to be replaced. The rope is falling off,
>>> which is a big part of it. I would like to replace it with an exact
> same
>>> one. I went to the store (Feed Your Pet) where I bought it, but they
> don't
>>> have any like it in the store anymore.
>>>
>>> Basically it's a triangle with thick sisal rope on the sides, and beige
>>> carpeting everywhere else. Dangling from the top of the triangle on the
>>> inside of it, is a ball of carpety stuff from a strand of sisal rope.
> It's
>>> a very sturdy thing, my cat has given up on trying to get the ball of
> stuff
>>> down to the ground.
>>>
>>> So - anyone have any suggestions where I can go in Toronto to get a nice
>>> scratching post?
>> You don't need to replace the post.
>>
>> You do need to replace the rope around the post and anything else that
>> needs replacing such as carpet, etc.
>>
>> This is a do-it-yourself project.
>>
>> Sisal rope is available and sold by the foot in hardware stores. Simply
>> take a sample of the rope presently around the post down to your local
>> hardware store to purchase enough to re-wrap the post.
>>
>> Surprisingly, it takes more of the rope to wrap a post than you might
>> think so don't underestimate and purchase more rope that your estimate.
>
> Interesting. Thanks.
>
> What type of glue do I use to attach the rope to the post?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - RT

No glue, you wrap the rope tightly as possible around the post sections
and only attach the ends of the rope to the wood.

For that, you can use clips or staples large enough that you can hammer
them solidly into the wood. Something like this...

http://doityourself.com/ori/200x200/8150021.jpg

---MIKE---
April 22nd 06, 07:24 PM
I fasten the rope with stainless steel hose clamps. See the picture:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View?u=1777604&a=13746150&p=74024839&Sequence=3&res=high

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Joe Canuck
April 22nd 06, 07:45 PM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> I fasten the rope with stainless steel hose clamps. See the picture:
>
> http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View?u=1777604&a=13746150&p=74024839&Sequence=3&res=high
>

> ---MIKE---
>>> In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Yes, I imagine that would work quite well on round posts!

Ruby Tuesday
April 22nd 06, 09:25 PM
"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
> Ruby Tuesday wrote:
> > My cat's scratching post needs to be replaced. The rope is falling off,
> > which is a big part of it. I would like to replace it with an exact
same
> > one. I went to the store (Feed Your Pet) where I bought it, but they
don't
> > have any like it in the store anymore.
> >
> > Basically it's a triangle with thick sisal rope on the sides, and beige
> > carpeting everywhere else. Dangling from the top of the triangle on the
> > inside of it, is a ball of carpety stuff from a strand of sisal rope.
It's
> > a very sturdy thing, my cat has given up on trying to get the ball of
stuff
> > down to the ground.
> >
> > So - anyone have any suggestions where I can go in Toronto to get a nice
> > scratching post?
>
> You don't need to replace the post.
>
> You do need to replace the rope around the post and anything else that
> needs replacing such as carpet, etc.
>
> This is a do-it-yourself project.
>
> Sisal rope is available and sold by the foot in hardware stores. Simply
> take a sample of the rope presently around the post down to your local
> hardware store to purchase enough to re-wrap the post.
>
> Surprisingly, it takes more of the rope to wrap a post than you might
> think so don't underestimate and purchase more rope that your estimate.

Interesting. Thanks.

What type of glue do I use to attach the rope to the post?

Thanks,

- RT

---MIKE---
April 22nd 06, 09:45 PM
RT asked:

>What type of glue do I use to attach the
> rope to the post?

I wouldn't use glue. There could be an odor that could cause the cats
to avoid the post. If the post is round, use the stainless steel hose
clamps. If the post is not round, use a staple at the top and bottom
and wind the rope tightly around the post. You could also drill a hole
through the post, run the rope through the hole and put a knot in the
end. I have three posts (round) that are covered with tightly wound
sisal rope.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Wendy
April 24th 06, 11:46 AM
You could also use a macramé 'gathering wrap'
http://www.knotingwork.com/Pages/knots/basic_knots2_wraping.html#G_Wrap

I've done that with a post that I added rope to and it's holding up just
fine.

RT asked: