PDA

View Full Version : Fat Cat

April 22nd 06, 05:47 PM
I have a 15 pound cat that is grey with four white feet and a white and
pink little nose. He is adorable. Although, he is the cutest cat in the
world, sometimes he is a hassle to take care of. He kills birds, mice,
moles, snakes, lizards, etc. and brings them in through the doggy door!
We work long days and have o have a doggy door for the dogs, but I
believe the cat enjoys the freedom the most. One more problem is that
he likes to drink the water from my sisters fish tank. Even with a
clean bowl of water he prefers to scare the fish and weighing 15 pounds
is not good for the lid of a fish tank(I have learned from experience).
I love him like a sibling or child, but man is he a handful!

cybercat
April 22nd 06, 06:14 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a 15 pound cat that is grey with four white feet and a white and
> pink little nose. He is adorable. Although, he is the cutest cat in the
> world, sometimes he is a hassle to take care of. He kills birds, mice,
> moles, snakes, lizards, etc. and brings them in through the doggy door!
> We work long days and have o have a doggy door for the dogs, but I
> believe the cat enjoys the freedom the most. One more problem is that
> he likes to drink the water from my sisters fish tank. Even with a
> clean bowl of water he prefers to scare the fish and weighing 15 pounds
> is not good for the lid of a fish tank(I have learned from experience).
> I love him like a sibling or child, but man is he a handful!

He sounds precious, but if you love him as much as you say, you should
think long and hard about continuing to let him roam. Anything could happen
to him out there. The animals he kills may have ingested poison (the
rodents),
or have been exposed to dangerous nerve agents in the form of pesticides
or fungicides (insects and the snakes and lizards that eat them). Mean
people
torture cats every day, they get hit by cars (it only takes one) and stray
dogs
are a problem too.

The "be free" "we will take that chance, he LOVES the outdoors so much!"
philosophy might work fine for me up until the time I found my cat lying
under a bush with his gut ripped open by a dog or dead from being hit
by a car. It worries me to death when people allow beloved pets to roam
unsupervised.

April 22nd 06, 06:25 PM
> wrote > We work long days and have o have a
doggy door for the dogs, but

So, you have a fenced yard, right? You would not let your dogs roam, surely?
So maybe your cat is safe after all, especially with the dogs out there too.

April 22nd 06, 06:52 PM
Well, for the most part he is safe, but occasionally the dogs do roam
about. we live down a dead end road with people i have known for 20
years, so If they ever get out they are welcomed at all the neighbors
yards and eventually wander back home.

cybercat
April 22nd 06, 07:11 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Well, for the most part he is safe, but occasionally the dogs do roam
> about. we live down a dead end road with people i have known for 20
> years, so If they ever get out they are welcomed at all the neighbors
> yards and eventually wander back home.

*shrugs* It is a judgment call--yours. My aim is not to be
critical of you--I am just eccentric about puddy tats and
can't bear to think of them in danger.

Sherri
April 22nd 06, 11:17 PM
cybercat wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Well, for the most part he is safe, but occasionally the dogs do roam
> > about. we live down a dead end road with people i have known for 20
> > years, so If they ever get out they are welcomed at all the neighbors
> > yards and eventually wander back home.
> >

> *shrugs* It is a judgment call--yours. My aim is not to be
> critical of you--I am just eccentric about puddy tats and
> can't bear to think of them in danger.
>

> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

Cyber~~ You okay?

LB
April 23rd 06, 09:47 PM
writes:
> [...] He kills birds, mice, moles, snakes, lizards, etc.
> and brings them in through the doggy door! We work long
> days and have o have a doggy door for the dogs, but I
> believe the cat enjoys the freedom the most.
------
Maybe rethink the open doggie door all day? How about an opening to a
shed or setting up dog houses or other forms of shelter for the dogs
during the day, and either let the cat use those too, or consider that
cats usually have no problem finding shelter under porches or whatnot.
Then just use the doggie door when you're home to supervise what comes
IN?

> One more problem is that he likes to drink the water from
> my sisters fish tank. [...]
-------
Why not put the fish tank in a room where the door can be closed? If
not possible, try piling lightweight aluminum pans or other
noise-making things (I'm sure you can find a commercial training
product) on top of the tank.

While this often works to scare cats away from surfaces, yours might be
especially resistant because he's focused on getting the moving
water--plus, lots of cats love the taste of fish food. I'd rethink the
location of the tank, or I'd lock the cat out of the house during the
day.

Best wishes!