PDA

View Full Version : Strange Cat Invading our Home. Help!

Susan
April 23rd 06, 09:54 AM
We have a very sweet little NEUTERED female cat. She has a cat flat to
go in and out of the house. Over the past few months we have noticed
that she was getting thin even though we kept giving her larger bowls
of food. Now we know why : a strange cat comes in and beats her up,
urinates inside the house, eats her food and is a bl***y nuisance. We
have tried putting one of those (harmless) spring loaded traps down,
hoping that if we caught it we could sprinkle it with water to try and
deter it from coming here. It ripped the door off the cage and escaped.
THREE times. Then we tried putting a booby trap on the cat flap: as
soon as it came through the flap, a trap door would drop and stop it
getting out. Then we could sprinkle it with water etc. This time, it
ripped the trap door off its screws and escaped. It has now discovered
how to lift up the flap and escape.In the morning, we find all the food
has gone, the trap door has fallen down but there is NO CAT to be
found. Houdini had nothing on this animal. Any ideas please? It is
driving my husband crazy being outwitted by a cat. We cant put any
repellents etc; down as we have a cat ourselves. It is also costing a
fortune in food and cleansing materials to try and get the stink of cat
pee out of the house.

April 23rd 06, 11:06 AM
They make a type of cat flap that will only open to your cat. It has some
kind of censor on it, that picks up a signal from a little box on your cat's
collar.
Check the online petstores.

-- Maryjane

PS. Here in Texas, in some rural suburbs - people find raccoons coming
through their cat flaps! They not only eat all the food, they act like
mini-vandals -- pick up and play with little knickknacks, steal small shiny
things, etc!! Imagine waking up to find 2-3 full size raccoons in your
house ; ) !!!!!!!!!!! Its not just funny - but a bit scary chasing them
back outside.

"Susan" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> We have a very sweet little NEUTERED female cat. She has a cat flat to
> go in and out of the house. Over the past few months we have noticed
> that she was getting thin even though we kept giving her larger bowls
> of food. Now we know why : a strange cat comes in and beats her up,
> urinates inside the house, eats her food and is a bl***y nuisance. We
> have tried putting one of those (harmless) spring loaded traps down,
> hoping that if we caught it we could sprinkle it with water to try and
> deter it from coming here. It ripped the door off the cage and escaped.
> THREE times. Then we tried putting a booby trap on the cat flap: as
> soon as it came through the flap, a trap door would drop and stop it
> getting out. Then we could sprinkle it with water etc. This time, it
> ripped the trap door off its screws and escaped. It has now discovered
> how to lift up the flap and escape.In the morning, we find all the food
> has gone, the trap door has fallen down but there is NO CAT to be
> found. Houdini had nothing on this animal. Any ideas please? It is
> driving my husband crazy being outwitted by a cat. We cant put any
> repellents etc; down as we have a cat ourselves. It is also costing a
> fortune in food and cleansing materials to try and get the stink of cat
> pee out of the house.

Susan
April 23rd 06, 11:43 AM
I will look around and see whether you can get collars with sensors in
them over here. Good idea! Yes - I know about those darned racoons.
Our kids are working in Florida and they have a hard time with the
little creatures coming into the enclosed patio, eating the cat and dog
food, turning things upside down, climbing up to reach things on
shelves. They seem to be a problem not only in The United States but
also here in Europe. They get into the attics and destroy insulation,
and all sorts of other antisocial activities. Keep the cat advice
rolling in :-) Thanks

Joe Canuck
April 23rd 06, 04:23 PM
Susan wrote:
> We have a very sweet little NEUTERED female cat. She has a cat flat to
> go in and out of the house. Over the past few months we have noticed
> that she was getting thin even though we kept giving her larger bowls
> of food. Now we know why : a strange cat comes in and beats her up,
> urinates inside the house, eats her food and is a bl***y nuisance. We
> have tried putting one of those (harmless) spring loaded traps down,
> hoping that if we caught it we could sprinkle it with water to try and
> deter it from coming here. It ripped the door off the cage and escaped.
> THREE times. Then we tried putting a booby trap on the cat flap: as
> soon as it came through the flap, a trap door would drop and stop it
> getting out. Then we could sprinkle it with water etc. This time, it
> ripped the trap door off its screws and escaped. It has now discovered
> how to lift up the flap and escape.In the morning, we find all the food
> has gone, the trap door has fallen down but there is NO CAT to be
> found. Houdini had nothing on this animal. Any ideas please? It is
> driving my husband crazy being outwitted by a cat. We cant put any
> repellents etc; down as we have a cat ourselves. It is also costing a
> fortune in food and cleansing materials to try and get the stink of cat
> pee out of the house.

Ever thought of disabling the cat flap?

Ever thought of getting an electronic cat flap that is only activated by
*your* cat through a device in a collar she wears?

It is actually better health wise for your own cat and she not be
allowed outside.

The solution seems so simple.

April 23rd 06, 04:59 PM
"Susan" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I will look around and see whether you can get collars with sensors in
> them over here. Good idea! Yes - I know about those darned racoons.
> Our kids are working in Florida and they have a hard time with the
> little creatures coming into the enclosed patio, eating the cat and dog
> food, turning things upside down, climbing up to reach things on
> shelves. They seem to be a problem not only in The United States but
> also here in Europe. They get into the attics and destroy insulation,
> and all sorts of other antisocial activities. Keep the cat advice
> rolling in :-) Thanks

The raccoons are actually kind of cute, as long as they're not eating your
pet's food or getting into stuff. Bad on garbage cans too - root through
them as much as loose dogs. Eat your chickens, if you live somewhere where
you can keep a few. (Chickens are the worlds best garbage disposals.
They'll eat any kind of scraps!! And you get eggs in return)

The real problem is a lot of them carry rabies - so you definitely don't
want them around.

-- maryjane

Susan
April 23rd 06, 05:00 PM
Our cat was a wild cat that decided when only a couple of months old,
that she wanted a family to spoil her. After sitting on our patio,
studying us contemptuously for a couple of weeks, she eventually
condescended to eat a piece of steak we put out for her. She has her
own bed with cushions and settee - her own room which is a huge glassed
in area overlooking the back garden. This is where her cat flap goes
into/out of. If she cannot get out, she gets really frantic. She has
never been an "indoor cat". We live in the South West of France and
have a huge garden with trees and shrubs, no neighbours and a river
running through it. It would be terribly cruel to confine her. Apart
from this monster cat that is causing us hassles, there is nothing to
cause her any harm or distress; She even goes for daily walks with me,
through the Kiwi-fruit fields and along the river banks. Unfortunately
keeping her in wont work! AND - probably wont keep Houdini out either.

April 23rd 06, 05:07 PM
Here's a link for a sensored cat door:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444178 1297&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033663&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1145808374145&itemNo=8&In=Cat&N=2033663&Ne=2

It will only open for your cat - who wear's a small magnet attached to her
collar.

-- maryjane

"Susan" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> We have a very sweet little NEUTERED female cat. She has a cat flat to
> go in and out of the house. Over the past few months we have noticed
> that she was getting thin even though we kept giving her larger bowls
> of food. Now we know why : a strange cat comes in and beats her up,
> urinates inside the house, eats her food and is a bl***y nuisance. We
> have tried putting one of those (harmless) spring loaded traps down,
> hoping that if we caught it we could sprinkle it with water to try and
> deter it from coming here. It ripped the door off the cage and escaped.
> THREE times. Then we tried putting a booby trap on the cat flap: as
> soon as it came through the flap, a trap door would drop and stop it
> getting out. Then we could sprinkle it with water etc. This time, it
> ripped the trap door off its screws and escaped. It has now discovered
> how to lift up the flap and escape.In the morning, we find all the food
> has gone, the trap door has fallen down but there is NO CAT to be
> found. Houdini had nothing on this animal. Any ideas please? It is
> driving my husband crazy being outwitted by a cat. We cant put any
> repellents etc; down as we have a cat ourselves. It is also costing a
> fortune in food and cleansing materials to try and get the stink of cat
> pee out of the house.

April 23rd 06, 05:10 PM
And here's a cat door that uses and infra-red collar key

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 6487&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033663&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1145808518513&itemNo=10&In=Cat&N=2033663&Ne=2

-- maryjane

"Susan" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> We have a very sweet little NEUTERED female cat. She has a cat flat to
> go in and out of the house. Over the past few months we have noticed
> that she was getting thin even though we kept giving her larger bowls
> of food. Now we know why : a strange cat comes in and beats her up,
> urinates inside the house, eats her food and is a bl***y nuisance. We
> have tried putting one of those (harmless) spring loaded traps down,
> hoping that if we caught it we could sprinkle it with water to try and
> deter it from coming here. It ripped the door off the cage and escaped.
> THREE times. Then we tried putting a booby trap on the cat flap: as
> soon as it came through the flap, a trap door would drop and stop it
> getting out. Then we could sprinkle it with water etc. This time, it
> ripped the trap door off its screws and escaped. It has now discovered
> how to lift up the flap and escape.In the morning, we find all the food
> has gone, the trap door has fallen down but there is NO CAT to be
> found. Houdini had nothing on this animal. Any ideas please? It is
> driving my husband crazy being outwitted by a cat. We cant put any
> repellents etc; down as we have a cat ourselves. It is also costing a
> fortune in food and cleansing materials to try and get the stink of cat
> pee out of the house.

Susan
April 23rd 06, 05:58 PM
Thanks Maryjane. My daughter who works in Florida, and her family are
coming for a visit early next month and I will ask her to go into Pets
Mart and buy one for us. Hopefully this will solve the problem. I am
SURE my husband lies awake at night plotting how to outsmart Houdini.
Its definitely an Einstein of the feline kind :-) In gerneral French
cats are very petite compared with those I have been used to. Houdini
though is in a class of his own. He must travel miles to get here,
crossing bridges and through fields. It must be the expensive brand of
cat food we give our cat. Perhaps Pur***a should sponsor us? "We only
got Invaded once we started buying Pur**a Pet Products"

Frank Pittel
April 23rd 06, 09:05 PM
Susan > wrote:
: Thanks Maryjane. My daughter who works in Florida, and her family are
: coming for a visit early next month and I will ask her to go into Pets
: Mart and buy one for us. Hopefully this will solve the problem. I am
: SURE my husband lies awake at night plotting how to outsmart Houdini.
: Its definitely an Einstein of the feline kind :-) In gerneral French
: cats are very petite compared with those I have been used to. Houdini
: though is in a class of his own. He must travel miles to get here,
: crossing bridges and through fields. It must be the expensive brand of
: cat food we give our cat. Perhaps Pur***a should sponsor us? "We only
: got Invaded once we started buying Pur**a Pet Products"

Are you sure that it's a cat and not a raccoon?
--

-------------------

Candace
April 24th 06, 01:29 AM
Susan wrote:
> We live in the South West of France and
> have a huge garden with trees and shrubs, no neighbours and a river
> running through it. It would be terribly cruel to confine her. Apart
> from this monster cat that is causing us hassles, there is nothing to
> cause her any harm or distress; She even goes for daily walks with me,
> through the Kiwi-fruit fields and along the river banks. Unfortunately
> keeping her in wont work! AND - probably wont keep Houdini out either.

Oh, will you adopt me? It sounds gorgeous!

Candace

Kiran
April 24th 06, 05:48 AM
Susan > wrote:

[...]

Since your cat lives with you, why do you have to leave food out? You
can feed her on a shcedule right in front of you. Without food and its
smells, the other cat will have much less reason to want to come in.

Otherwise those cat doors that only open for your cat (identified by a
special collar) should also work.

Susan
April 24th 06, 10:39 AM
The food is not actually left "Out", like putting it outside. There is
an enclosed room looking onto the garden with a cat flap to go in and
out. Her food is in here. Yes, we do feed her in front of us but she
seems to like having a bowl of pellets to nibble on during the night.
Houdini comes inside the house. I think that in this instance, the
collar should work fine and after Houdini finds that there is nothing
around for him to eat, hi might go away. Yesterday we blocked up the
cat flap and kept our cat indoors with litter tray. In the middle of
the night though, there was a heck of a racket when the invading
monster tried to get in. He sat and yowled outside our bedroom window
demanding to be fed. I wish I knew who he belonged to! Thanks for the
advice though and one way or another, we will sort him out.

Susan
April 24th 06, 12:38 PM
Candace - Your adoption can only be considered provided you dont shed
hair, dont claw the furniture and dont pee in the corner. If you think
you can truthfully answer DON'T DO IT to all of the above, we can think
about it :-)

Ajanta
April 24th 06, 08:39 PM
Susan > wrote:

: The food is not actually left "Out", like putting it outside. There is
: an enclosed room looking onto the garden with a cat flap to go in and
: out. Her food is in here. Yes, we do feed her in front of us but she
: seems to like having a bowl of pellets to nibble on during the night.
: Houdini comes inside the house. I think that in this instance, the
: collar should work fine and after Houdini finds that there is nothing
: around for him to eat, hi might go away. Yesterday we blocked up the
: cat flap and kept our cat indoors with litter tray. In the middle of
: the night though, there was a heck of a racket when the invading
: monster tried to get in. He sat and yowled outside our bedroom window
: demanding to be fed. I wish I knew who he belonged to! Thanks for the
: advice though and one way or another, we will sort him out.

That would have been a good opportunity to open the door, let him in
and examine his collar if any, and squirt some water if needed... :)

Seriously, though, we are assuming he belongs to someone, has home and
food by implication, but is a bully by nature. But do you really know?
What if he is homeless or effectively so (uncaring owners) and hungry,
just from a big breed? At least your description that he "yowled" for
food suggests that rather than an opportunistic bully.

I might investigate him a little more. I would keep the two cats and
their food separated but feed both until I knew just what is going on.

As Kiran says, don't free-feed your cat. That "she likes to nibble" all
night is hardly a good reason and may lead to health problems later.
Train her to have two square meals a day. Remove and discard the food
after 30 minutes. In a few days she will learn to eat what she wants in
30 minutes.

Susan
April 25th 06, 10:48 AM
If only ---- people would be compelled to neuter their cats -- if only
--- it was not a nightly ritual to many people to "put the cat out" ---
if only -- we didnt have such garden that attracts wildlife like
magnets --- life would be so much easier :-)