PDA

View Full Version : Coughing kitty

April 23rd 06, 06:33 PM
I'm not too sure if there's something wrong with my cat or if she just
has a hairball that won't come up....

For the last 4 days she's been making coughing sounds, similar to when
a hairball needs to come up but then she'll stop and nothing comes up.
She's about 14 and overweight but is eating, drinking, using the
litterbox normally and generally seems to be fine. The coughing is
every few hours for a few coughs and that's it.

Any advice? Could it just be a cold? My other cat gets colds and
sneezes and has a runny eye sometimes so thought it could be that.

If you could write back to me via email, that would be great.

Many thanks,
Laura

LB
April 23rd 06, 09:30 PM
> I'm not too sure if there's something wrong with my cat or if
> she just has a hairball that won't come up....
---------------
I hate to say it, but it's probably something worse than a hairball
given the length of time this has been going on. She might have a tumor
or other condition blocking her airway or throat, or any number of
problems. It's vet time, and wishing you the best.

Phil P.
April 24th 06, 11:10 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm not too sure if there's something wrong with my cat or if she just
> has a hairball that won't come up....
>
> For the last 4 days she's been making coughing sounds, similar to when
> a hairball needs to come up but then she'll stop and nothing comes up.
> She's about 14 and overweight but is eating, drinking, using the
> litterbox normally and generally seems to be fine. The coughing is
> every few hours for a few coughs and that's it.
>
> Any advice? Could it just be a cold?

Have your cat checked for worms. Roundworm eggs in particular migrate
through the liver and enter the lungs where they're coughed up, swallowed
and return to the intestines again to begin another cycle.

In any case, chronic coughing in cats is abnormal and needs to be thoroughly
investigated. I'd take to a vet as soon as possible.

Phil