PDA

View Full Version : Hairballs...just a cat fact-of-life?

Jason B
April 23rd 06, 06:56 PM
I've had my two cats for almost 8 years now, and I am wondering, are
hairballs just a part of life as a cat? I realize the amount of hair
they take in when cleaning themselves, but does anyone have any
recommendations for controlling it?
I thought of this because I recently went on a cruise and got a little
sea sick. One of the options was to get a shot that would prevent me
from throwing up. The doctor said there have been some instances where
the effect of the shot lasted almost 6 months for some people.
Wouldn't it be nice if they had something like that for cats?

Angela St.Aubin
April 23rd 06, 07:09 PM
Well cats throw up and they have hair balls... two separate things.
and i wouldn't want to repress hair balls, as it would just stick in their
insides and that wouldn't be good.

"Jason B" > wrote in message
> I've had my two cats for almost 8 years now, and I am wondering, are
> hairballs just a part of life as a cat? I realize the amount of hair
> they take in when cleaning themselves, but does anyone have any
> recommendations for controlling it?
> I thought of this because I recently went on a cruise and got a little
> sea sick. One of the options was to get a shot that would prevent me
> from throwing up. The doctor said there have been some instances where
> the effect of the shot lasted almost 6 months for some people.
> Wouldn't it be nice if they had something like that for cats?

Matthew AKA NMR
April 23rd 06, 07:46 PM
"Buddy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> There are treats called "Temptations" and they have one for hairballs.
> Seems to work really well. Helps kitties eliminate them out the other
> end. You would not want to do anything that would prevent them from
> elimination, as this would interfere getting nourishment from their
> food and other things.

That is a standard cat treat in this house

Joe Canuck
April 23rd 06, 08:07 PM
Jason B wrote:
> I've had my two cats for almost 8 years now, and I am wondering, are
> hairballs just a part of life as a cat? I realize the amount of hair
> they take in when cleaning themselves, but does anyone have any
> recommendations for controlling it?
> I thought of this because I recently went on a cruise and got a little
> sea sick. One of the options was to get a shot that would prevent me
> from throwing up. The doctor said there have been some instances where
> the effect of the shot lasted almost 6 months for some people.
> Wouldn't it be nice if they had something like that for cats?

I have a long-haired breed.

Brushing the coat at least 2 -3 times/week will go a long way towards
cutting down on the ingestion of their own hair not to mention being
good for the coat.

I've also noticed since switching her to Science Diet food that I can
count on one hand the number of hairball incidents there have been over
the last few years.

Aside from the above two, I don't use any other hairball remedies.

William Hamblen
April 23rd 06, 08:46 PM
On 2006-04-23, Jason B > wrote:
> I've had my two cats for almost 8 years now, and I am wondering, are
> hairballs just a part of life as a cat? I realize the amount of hair
> they take in when cleaning themselves, but does anyone have any
> recommendations for controlling it?
> I thought of this because I recently went on a cruise and got a little
> sea sick. One of the options was to get a shot that would prevent me
> from throwing up. The doctor said there have been some instances where
> the effect of the shot lasted almost 6 months for some people.
> Wouldn't it be nice if they had something like that for cats?

They've got to get rid of the swallowed hair some way. The usual cure is
the occasional dose of petroleum jelly. Petromalt, Laxatone and similar
hairball formulas are petroleum jelly with malt syrup and vitamins added.
My cats haven't had much trouble with hairballs. They've all been
domestic shorthairs.

--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.

Claude V. Lucas
April 23rd 06, 08:59 PM
In article >,
Jason B > wrote:
>I've had my two cats for almost 8 years now, and I am wondering, are
>hairballs just a part of life as a cat? I realize the amount of hair
>they take in when cleaning themselves, but does anyone have any
>recommendations for controlling it?
>I thought of this because I recently went on a cruise and got a little
>sea sick. One of the options was to get a shot that would prevent me
>from throwing up. The doctor said there have been some instances where
>the effect of the shot lasted almost 6 months for some people.
>Wouldn't it be nice if they had something like that for cats?

Bubba loves Petromalt.

He thinks it is Kitty Kandy and he comes as close as a
cat ever does to begging for a dose when he sees the tube.

Once a day in shedding season and he never seems to have
any problems with hairballs.

Claude

LB
April 23rd 06, 10:04 PM
Best to avoid cheap dry foods, and you may want to try mixing hairball
formulas with regular diet. Regular brushings also help.

The idea is to enable cats to digest rather than clog up, because cat
hack is not only unpleasant, on a regular basis it's as destructive to
their upper tract as vomiting is for us.

Cat greens (easily purchased) and indoor formulas that incorporate
greens help overall cat digestion as well. Best wishes!

April 23rd 06, 10:30 PM
In article >,
says...
> I've had my two cats for almost 8 years now, and I am wondering, are
> hairballs just a part of life as a cat? I realize the amount of hair
> they take in when cleaning themselves, but does anyone have any
> recommendations for controlling it?
> I thought of this because I recently went on a cruise and got a little
> sea sick. One of the options was to get a shot that would prevent me
> from throwing up. The doctor said there have been some instances where
> the effect of the shot lasted almost 6 months for some people.
> Wouldn't it be nice if they had something like that for cats?

Mmmm - antiemetics are almost always effective when the underlying cause
is motion related. And even sometimes in the event of viruses, etc. But
they're never 100%.

The only thing that protects you is immunity to the particular pathogen.
Luckily I have it because I suffered the two-ender syndrome a couple
years back. Now I'm watching all my workmates get it and laughing.

---MIKE---
April 23rd 06, 11:22 PM
My two cats very rarely cough up a hairball. Tiger has long hair but
almost never has one. Amber has short hair but maybe once a month has
one. They eat mostly canned food (Wellness) and have oat grass to
nibble on. I think the food has a lot to do with it.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Jason B
April 24th 06, 02:09 AM
Joe Canuck wrote:
> Jason B wrote:
>
>> I've had my two cats for almost 8 years now, and I am wondering, are
>> hairballs just a part of life as a cat? I realize the amount of hair
>> they take in when cleaning themselves, but does anyone have any
>> recommendations for controlling it?
>> I thought of this because I recently went on a cruise and got a little
>> sea sick. One of the options was to get a shot that would prevent me
>> from throwing up. The doctor said there have been some instances
>> where the effect of the shot lasted almost 6 months for some people.
>> Wouldn't it be nice if they had something like that for cats?
>

> I have a long-haired breed.
>
> Brushing the coat at least 2 -3 times/week will go a long way towards
> cutting down on the ingestion of their own hair not to mention being
> good for the coat.
>
> I've also noticed since switching her to Science Diet food that I can
> count on one hand the number of hairball incidents there have been over
> the last few years.
>
> Aside from the above two, I don't use any other hairball remedies.

I brush both of them daily....sometimes they get it twice if my
girlfriend didn't see me doing it.

When it comes to food, I have always fed them Iams hairball/weight
control dry food. What do you all think of Iams. I don't see it
mentioned much here.

I've heard of the Vasoline trick on the paws.....I may have to give it a
try.

Joe Canuck
April 24th 06, 02:20 AM
Jason B wrote:
> Joe Canuck wrote:
>> Jason B wrote:
>>
>>> I've had my two cats for almost 8 years now, and I am wondering, are
>>> hairballs just a part of life as a cat? I realize the amount of hair
>>> they take in when cleaning themselves, but does anyone have any
>>> recommendations for controlling it?
>>> I thought of this because I recently went on a cruise and got a
>>> little sea sick. One of the options was to get a shot that would
>>> prevent me from throwing up. The doctor said there have been some
>>> instances where the effect of the shot lasted almost 6 months for
>>> some people.
>>> Wouldn't it be nice if they had something like that for cats?
>>

>> I have a long-haired breed.
>>
>> Brushing the coat at least 2 -3 times/week will go a long way towards
>> cutting down on the ingestion of their own hair not to mention being
>> good for the coat.
>>
>> I've also noticed since switching her to Science Diet food that I can
>> count on one hand the number of hairball incidents there have been
>> over the last few years.
>>
>> Aside from the above two, I don't use any other hairball remedies.
>
> I brush both of them daily....sometimes they get it twice if my
> girlfriend didn't see me doing it.
>
> When it comes to food, I have always fed them Iams hairball/weight
> control dry food. What do you all think of Iams. I don't see it
> mentioned much here.

I'm sure you'll get numerous opinions on IAMS.

I'm not a fan of it myself.

> I've heard of the Vasoline trick on the paws.....I may have to give it a
> try.

Careful with the Vaseline... too much and your cat will have a dirty
bottom. That won't be fun for either you or your cat.

Susan
April 24th 06, 10:29 AM
We are coming into summer season where I live. This is a time one
expects cats to "shed" a lot. She is brushed every day and given milk
to keep the fur from building up. She has a mixed diet of Purina
pellets to nibble on during the day and wet, canned food in the
evening. I recently noticed that she has patches of short hair along
her flanks and on her "arms". Almost like a buzz-cut ! She keeps
licking and grooming herself almost non-stop and I am sure that she is
wearing the fur down :-) I took her to the Vetinarian who said she
could probably have some psychological problems. I have never heard of
this before?? We have a famous river at the bottom of our garden and at
this time of year, fishermen walk along the banks to catch salmon.
Perhaps this is upsetting her? Suggestions welcomed, please!

Phil P.
April 24th 06, 11:09 PM
"Jason B" > wrote in message
> I've had my two cats for almost 8 years now, and I am wondering, are
> hairballs just a part of life as a cat? I realize the amount of hair
> they take in when cleaning themselves, but does anyone have any
> recommendations for controlling it?

If your cat coughs up a hairball more frequently than every few weeks to a
few months, she may have a slight motility disorder- especially if she eats
commercial diets.

Petromalt is a better choice than "hairball" diets for managing hairballs.

Phil

dgk
April 26th 06, 01:19 PM
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:56:32 GMT, Jason B
> wrote:

>I've had my two cats for almost 8 years now, and I am wondering, are
>hairballs just a part of life as a cat? I realize the amount of hair
>they take in when cleaning themselves, but does anyone have any
>recommendations for controlling it?
>I thought of this because I recently went on a cruise and got a little
>sea sick. One of the options was to get a shot that would prevent me
>from throwing up. The doctor said there have been some instances where
>the effect of the shot lasted almost 6 months for some people.
>Wouldn't it be nice if they had something like that for cats?

Most of my cats have gotten occassional hairballs - well, more like
hairslugs since they look like a slug. Once or twice a month I would
guess. I let them out in the backyard and one of them vomits grass
sometimes shortly after ingesting it. I think that's nothing to be
concerned about.

But vomiting without hairballs is not normal so if your cat vomits
often without hairballs coming up then something else is wrong.

Anna via CatKB.com
April 26th 06, 07:08 PM
>expects cats to "shed" a lot. She is brushed every day and given milk
>to keep the fur from building up. She has a mixed diet of Purina

??? How does milk keep fur from building up - never heard of that.

>evening. I recently noticed that she has patches of short hair along
>her flanks and on her "arms". Almost like a buzz-cut ! She keeps
>licking and grooming herself almost non-stop and I am sure that she is
>wearing the fur down :-) I took her to the Vetinarian who said she
>could probably have some psychological problems. I have never heard of

My cat did the same thing; Vet said she was grooming too much but she did not
have scabs or bleeding or anything severe so it was left alone and now a year
later, it has all grown back.