PDA

View Full Version : cat diapers

April 25th 06, 11:29 PM
I have a cat with chronic diarhhea caused by tumors. We've had the
lumps removed twice and they've grown back both times so now we're
trying to make her comfortable for the time she has left. The vet
didn't think she'd survive another surgery. We don't have a good spot
to contain her in, so I've got her in a big dog crate for much of the
day and outside for exercise breaks, neither of which is the greatest
solution for her. She leaks constantly so it's very problematic to
have her in the house at all around the other pets and my kids.
Diapers would be the ideal solution for her and I bought some specialty
pet diapers, but I can't get them on her. Her hindquarters are very
tender and she doesn't like to have her tail or her hips touched at
all. Does anyone have any advice or ideas on how to get a diaper on an
unwilling cat? I checked the archives, and I found some old threads
suggesting diapers but no details on how to talk the cat into going
along with it. I would really love to give her back the run of the
house so she can be close to me for the time she has left.

Dawn
http://www.dawnwich.com

cybercat
April 26th 06, 02:07 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a cat with chronic diarhhea caused by tumors. We've had the
> lumps removed twice and they've grown back both times so now we're
> trying to make her comfortable for the time she has left. The vet
> didn't think she'd survive another surgery. We don't have a good spot
> to contain her in, so I've got her in a big dog crate for much of the
> day and outside for exercise breaks, neither of which is the greatest
> solution for her. She leaks constantly so it's very problematic to
> have her in the house at all around the other pets and my kids.
> Diapers would be the ideal solution for her and I bought some specialty
> pet diapers, but I can't get them on her. Her hindquarters are very
> tender and she doesn't like to have her tail or her hips touched at
> all. Does anyone have any advice or ideas on how to get a diaper on an
> unwilling cat? I checked the archives, and I found some old threads
> suggesting diapers but no details on how to talk the cat into going
> along with it. I would really love to give her back the run of the
> house so she can be close to me for the time she has left.

I think it is probably time to let your friend go.

Bianca L via CatKB.com
April 26th 06, 02:16 AM
wrote:
> Her hindquarters are very
>tender and she doesn't like to have her tail or her hips touched at
>all. >
>Dawn
>http://www.dawnwich.com

If your cat is in pain, then it's time to let go. You need to do the most
selfless act of love and take her in to be put to sleep.

I am really sorry your cat is going through this, you tried your best and she
knows that. However by your description it sounds like she is suffering and
that's not good.

April 26th 06, 03:18 AM
"Bianca L via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> wrote:
> > Her hindquarters are very
> >tender and she doesn't like to have her tail or her hips touched at
> >all. >
> >Dawn
> >http://www.dawnwich.com
>
> If your cat is in pain, then it's time to let go. You need to do the most
> selfless act of love and take her in to be put to sleep.
>
> I am really sorry your cat is going through this, you tried your best and
she
> knows that. However by your description it sounds like she is suffering
and
> that's not good.

I wanted to add that my comment was made from the point of view of
someone who let her cat go too long--she became incontinent, too--and
regrets it.

You love her, and trust me, it is very easy to slip into a state of denial
in this situation. I let my girl become skin and bones. I could look in her
eyes and see her begging me to let her go, but I just could not do it. I
deeply regret this, but I know she understood. She did not want to leave
me either, I don't think. Man, it has been five years and this still chokes
me up.

Judy
April 26th 06, 04:49 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a cat with chronic diarhhea caused by tumors. We've had the
> lumps removed twice and they've grown back both times so now we're
> trying to make her comfortable for the time she has left. The vet
> didn't think she'd survive another surgery. We don't have a good spot
> to contain her in, so I've got her in a big dog crate for much of the
> day and outside for exercise breaks, neither of which is the greatest
> solution for her. She leaks constantly so it's very problematic to
> have her in the house at all around the other pets and my kids.
> Diapers would be the ideal solution for her and I bought some specialty
> pet diapers, but I can't get them on her. Her hindquarters are very
> tender and she doesn't like to have her tail or her hips touched at
> all. Does anyone have any advice or ideas on how to get a diaper on an
> unwilling cat? I checked the archives, and I found some old threads
> suggesting diapers but no details on how to talk the cat into going
> along with it. I would really love to give her back the run of the
> house so she can be close to me for the time she has left.
>
> Dawn

At this point, it's probably time to make a decision and let her go.

-L.
April 26th 06, 06:52 AM
wrote:
> I have a cat with chronic diarhhea caused by tumors. We've had the
> lumps removed twice and they've grown back both times so now we're
> trying to make her comfortable for the time she has left. The vet
> didn't think she'd survive another surgery.

Seriously sounds like it may be time to allow her her freedom from
suffering. Here's a link that might help:

http://angelshavenhere.homestead.com/makingthedecision.html

My heart goes out to you,

-L.

-L.
April 26th 06, 06:55 AM
cybercat wrote:
> I wanted to add that my comment was made from the point of view of
> someone who let her cat go too long--she became incontinent, too--and
> regrets it.
>
> You love her, and trust me, it is very easy to slip into a state of denial
> in this situation. I let my girl become skin and bones. I could look in her
> eyes and see her begging me to let her go, but I just could not do it. I
> deeply regret this, but I know she understood. She did not want to leave
> me either, I don't think. Man, it has been five years and this still chokes
> me up.

It doesn't matter when you do it, you will always second-guess yourself
that it was either too early or too late. We humans are much to hard
on ourselves when it comes to euthanizing our friends. We should be
celebrating the fact that we have the option, when instead, we beat
ourselves up about it.

I still second-guess my decision to euth my dog Toshie last Easter.
Then I went back and looked at pictures from three months before - man
how much she had changed in those three months. I have found some
comfort, but not much. No matter when you do it, it sucks.

-L.

Ellie Bentley
April 26th 06, 09:18 AM
Dawnwich,

I am so pleased to see that so many people have suggested the same
advice to you. I too think the same thing.

Aren't many cats and dogs such very lucky creatures, having owners like
us who love them so much that when their quality of life becomes very
poor we are prepared to help release them from it, for their sake? If
only we humans, here in the UK at least, were as lucky when we get old
and our quality of life becomes intolerable.

Love,
Ellie.

cybercat
April 26th 06, 04:46 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
> > I wanted to add that my comment was made from the point of view of
> > someone who let her cat go too long--she became incontinent, too--and
> > regrets it.
> >
> > You love her, and trust me, it is very easy to slip into a state of
denial
> > in this situation. I let my girl become skin and bones. I could look in
her
> > eyes and see her begging me to let her go, but I just could not do it. I
> > deeply regret this, but I know she understood. She did not want to leave
> > me either, I don't think. Man, it has been five years and this still
chokes
> > me up.
>
> It doesn't matter when you do it, you will always second-guess yourself
> that it was either too early or too late. We humans are much to hard
> on ourselves when it comes to euthanizing our friends. We should be
> celebrating the fact that we have the option, when instead, we beat
> ourselves up about it.
>
> I still second-guess my decision to euth my dog Toshie last Easter.
> Then I went back and looked at pictures from three months before - man
> how much she had changed in those three months. I have found some
> comfort, but not much. No matter when you do it, it sucks.
>
> -L.

Yes, it does. And yet, you are absolutely right, our animals are
lucky we have the power to ease their suffering. I guess it is one of
those "the power of choice means responsibility" things.

April 26th 06, 07:18 PM
I want to thank everyone for their comments and their concern. The
reason that we haven't seriously considered euthenasia yet is that she
still has a surprising amount of energy for an animal with such
problems. She still hunts and plays with enthusiasm, and she's still
got an appetite and maintains a good weight (I don't know how). I know
we don't have a lot of time, but I think she'll tell me when the time's
come.

I guess my initial question about the diapers was pretty well hopeless
given her sore back half though.

Thanks again, and I will take all your feedback seriously and consider
putting her to sleep. I know that day will come before too much
longer.