PDA

View Full Version : My cat keeps missing the box, but there's more...

0to60
April 27th 06, 11:53 AM
It all started around a year ago. My cat likes to pee in the corner of the
box, and every once in a while he'd cut it so close that the stream would go
clear over the side of the box and onto the floor. Then, he just started
GOING on the floor. I've tried different things to stop this, new
litterbox, new litter, new location, combinations of the above, but to no
avail. Sometimes it'll work for a few days, but eventually he misses the
box and then reverts to his outside-the-box-eliminator ways.

It seems like this is a fairly common problem. Is there any known solution?

Karen
April 27th 06, 01:35 PM
0to60 wrote the following on 4/27/2006 6:53 AM:
> It all started around a year ago. My cat likes to pee in the corner of the
> box, and every once in a while he'd cut it so close that the stream would go
> clear over the side of the box and onto the floor.

A box with very high sides and/or a cover? I have one large cat who
pushes up against a corner and would miss if not for a high-sided,
covered box. I found that the Bouda boxes don't work for her because when
she peed against the cover it would end up dripping outside of the box
because of the way the lid fit on. I've never had a problem with the
largest VanNess box.

Karen R.

Zappa
April 27th 06, 02:45 PM
"0to60" > wrote in message

> It all started around a year ago. My cat likes to pee in the corner of
> the box, and every once in a while he'd cut it so close that the stream
> would go clear over the side of the box and onto the floor. Then, he
> just started GOING on the floor. I've tried different things to stop
> this, new litterbox, new litter, new location, combinations of the above,
> but to no avail. Sometimes it'll work for a few days, but eventually he
> misses the box and then reverts to his outside-the-box-eliminator ways.
>
> It seems like this is a fairly common problem. Is there any known
solution?

There is, indeed, Oto, and a very simple one it is too. Simply cover the
surrounding floor with metal foil and pass an electrical current (from the
mains, preferably, or a car battery setup will do) to it. Then, when
urination occurs, the disciplinary jolt will persuade the recalcitrant
feline to pee in the right place. Alternatively, if the thought of
electrically shocking cats is too much for you to consider, a good, hard
kick right up its arse should do the trick. And if THAT doesn't work, just
have the cat put down and get another one that looks just like the original
(cats are all the same anyway, so it doesn't matter). Hope this helps.

Dr. Woodard
April 27th 06, 03:52 PM
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 05:53:29 -0500, "0to60"
> wrote:

>It all started around a year ago. My cat likes to pee in the corner of the
>box, and every once in a while he'd cut it so close that the stream would go
>clear over the side of the box and onto the floor. Then, he just started
>GOING on the floor. I've tried different things to stop this, new
>litterbox, new litter, new location, combinations of the above, but to no
>avail. Sometimes it'll work for a few days, but eventually he misses the
>box and then reverts to his outside-the-box-eliminator ways.
>
>It seems like this is a fairly common problem. Is there any known solution?

Make sure the litter box you get has a high sides.

Dr. Woodard
April 27th 06, 03:54 PM
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:35:05 GMT, Karen > wrote:

>0to60 wrote the following on 4/27/2006 6:53 AM:
>> It all started around a year ago. My cat likes to pee in the corner of the
>> box, and every once in a while he'd cut it so close that the stream would go
>> clear over the side of the box and onto the floor.
>
>A box with very high sides and/or a cover? I have one large cat who
>pushes up against a corner and would miss if not for a high-sided,
>covered box. I found that the Bouda boxes don't work for her because when
>she peed against the cover it would end up dripping outside of the box
>because of the way the lid fit on. I've never had a problem with the
>largest VanNess box.
>
>Karen R.
I would add i've had cats who didn't like the litter box cover. Also
some cats have trouble figuring out how to use a litter box door.

Zeitgeist
April 27th 06, 04:16 PM
"Dr. Woodard" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:35:05 GMT, Karen > wrote:
>
> I would add i've had cats who didn't like the litter box cover. Also
> some cats have trouble figuring out how to use a litter box door.

What is there to figure out?

Phil P.
April 27th 06, 05:50 PM
"0to60" > wrote in message
> It all started around a year ago. My cat likes to pee in the corner of
the
> box, and every once in a while he'd cut it so close that the stream would
go
> clear over the side of the box and onto the floor. Then, he just started
> GOING on the floor. I've tried different things to stop this, new
> litterbox, new litter, new location, combinations of the above, but to no
> avail. Sometimes it'll work for a few days, but eventually he misses the
> box and then reverts to his outside-the-box-eliminator ways.
>
> It seems like this is a fairly common problem. Is there any known
solution?

Yup.

http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_Enrichment/litterbox-rubbermaid-high.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_Enrichment/litter_box-dog-2.jpg

Dr. Woodard
April 27th 06, 08:36 PM
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:16:33 -0400, "Zeitgeist"
> wrote:

>"Dr. Woodard" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:35:05 GMT, Karen > wrote:
>>
>> I would add i've had cats who didn't like the litter box cover. Also
>> some cats have trouble figuring out how to use a litter box door.
>>

>What is there to figure out?

The cat would try to squeeze to the right or left of the door.

It's like the cat tried to go into the door head on was stopped for
some reason so then it would try to squeeze in on the right or left
side.

I even tried attempting to show the cat how to use the door.

R. Sole
April 27th 06, 08:50 PM
"Dr. Woodard" > wrote in message

> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:16:33 -0400, "Zeitgeist"
> > wrote:
>

> > "Dr. Woodard" > wrote in message
>
> > > On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:35:05 GMT, Karen > wrote:
> > >
> > > I would add i've had cats who didn't like the litter box cover. Also
> > > some cats have trouble figuring out how to use a litter box door.
> > >

> > What is there to figure out?
> >

> The cat would try to squeeze to the right or left of the door.
>
> It's like the cat tried to go into the door head on was stopped for
> some reason so then it would try to squeeze in on the right or left
> side.
>
> I even tried attempting to show the cat how to use the door.

Errr ........ yes. Let's see. You got on your hands & knees, with the cat
looking on, presumably cooing banal, crazed **** to it, like "Ooooh look,
Tiddly-Widdly, dis is ow Snookums does go through-woo da ickle door-door,
see?" . . . . after which you probably (and very helpfully) butted your head
against the said door just to belabour the point. I also assume that all the
while you were making exaggerated pointing motions with your hands, towards
the door, in an insane attempt at further explaining the point to what is
obviously an extremely unintelligent and/or emotionally abused animal.

You weirdo loonies should be banned from owning animals. You really should.

April 27th 06, 09:23 PM
Some cats are a bit slow - can't figure out how to use cat flaps either. Or
they just don't like the odor of an enclosed box, start to step inside then
think 'phewee....'.

But then I had to teach my poodle how to climb the stairs. (I put a treat
on every 3rd step will encouraging the dog to come to me. Then put her paws
on the 2nd step, while my 8 YO daughter pushed gently on the dog's butt. It
was truly hilarious!!! Repeat all the way up the stairs. And we had to do
this not once, but 2-3 times.)

-- maryjane

"Dr. Woodard" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:16:33 -0400, "Zeitgeist"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Dr. Woodard" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:35:05 GMT, Karen > wrote:
>>>
>>> I would add i've had cats who didn't like the litter box cover. Also
>>> some cats have trouble figuring out how to use a litter box door.
>>>

>>What is there to figure out?
>>
> The cat would try to squeeze to the right or left of the door.
>
> It's like the cat tried to go into the door head on was stopped for
> some reason so then it would try to squeeze in on the right or left
> side.
>
> I even tried attempting to show the cat how to use the door.

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

0to60
April 28th 06, 01:10 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> Yup.
>

> http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_Enrichment/litterbox-rubbermaid-high.jpg

This is the one I have, and he pee's right out the entry cutout.

Chris Crossz
April 28th 06, 01:13 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "0to60" > wrote in message
>
> > It all started around a year ago. My cat likes to pee in the corner of
> > the box, and every once in a while he'd cut it so close that the stream
> > would go clear over the side of the box and onto the floor. Then, he
> > just started GOING on the floor. I've tried different things to stop
> > this, new litterbox, new litter, new location, combinations of the
> > above, but to no avail. Sometimes it'll work for a few days, but
> > eventually he misses the box and then reverts to his
> > outside-the-box-eliminator ways.
> >
> > It seems like this is a fairly common problem. Is there any known
> > solution?
> >

> Yup.

http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_Enrichment/litterbox-rubbermaid-high.jpg
> http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_Enrichment/litter_box-dog-2.jpg

Wow, Phil! Those are some great pics! Seems a shame that they should only be
used by dirty, filthy cats to **** into, doesn't it? They'd make great bread
boxes, or something. Especially if you fitted them with lids, and all that.
Amongst other uses, I'd bet. Oh yes. You seem like an interesting guy! What
about you and me, some night, getting together for a spot of cat-killing?

Chrissy Crassz
April 28th 06, 01:32 AM
"0to60" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> >
> > Yup.

http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_Enrichment/litterbox-rubbermaid-high.jpg

> This is the one I have, and he pee's right out the entry cutout.

****ing hell! He does? Jesus. As Syd Barrett once said "That cat's something
I can't explain"!

This situation of yours is getting worse. I think it's time to get down to
the nitty gritty. **** all that electrocution ****. What you SHOULD do is
this : Collect a fortnight's worth of your OWN urine, and keep it in one of
those pressurised beer-barrels; the kind you can fit a small carbon-dioxide
cylinder to. Pump some gas in till the pressure's high, then wait for your
disgusting cat to do its business. Then, hiding behind the barrel, wait till
the cat "pee's right out the entry cutout" and *immediately* turn the barrel
tap on, drenching the unfortunate animal in your 2-week-old, stale urine. Do
this several times till it learns, the dirty little ****er.

Phil P.
April 28th 06, 03:53 AM
"0to60" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> >
> > Yup.

http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_Enrichment/litterbox-rubbermaid-high.jpg

> This is the one I have, and he pee's right out the entry cutout.

These would be the next step:

http://maxshouse.com/misc/mixing_tubs.jpg

0to60
May 2nd 06, 02:36 AM
So I bought a large cage and put the litterbox, food, water, a blanket and
the little miscreant into it. Now, I don't have the heart to leave him in
there full time, but I do put him in the cage when I'm not around and at
night. He NEVER has a problem when he's living in the cage. He
demonstrates 100% accuracy. But, then I let him out of the cage and leave
the door to the cage open and he roams the house freely. When its time to
pee, he enters the cage, steps into the box and promptly pees right over the
side of the box and onto the cage floor-liner.

What the hell, mel? Why is he doing this? He CLEARLY has the ability to
aim correctly when he's gonna live in the box. But if he's walking around,
he misses by a mile. I don't get it!!!!

One more piece of information: when he's locked in the cage, he won't lay on
the blanket I give him! He sits in the litterbox. That's right, he sits in
the litterbox, opposite his perfectly-placed pee clump. Now, if this
problem were the other way around (when he stays in the cage, he lays in the
'box and thus pees outside the box), I could understand it. But this makes
no sense. When he stays in the cage, he prefers to lounge in the box (which
isn't so strange, I see caged cats in shelters doing this all the time) but
he pees in it 100% accurately and never misses a drop.

Please help.

0to60
May 2nd 06, 11:48 AM
[...]

Watersportz
May 2nd 06, 05:47 PM
"0to60" > wrote in message

> So I bought a large cage and put the litterbox, food, water, a blanket and
> the little miscreant into it. Now, I don't have the heart to leave him in
> there full time, but I do put him in the cage when I'm not around and at
> night. He NEVER has a problem when he's living in the cage. He
> demonstrates 100% accuracy. But, then I let him out of the cage and leave
> the door to the cage open and he roams the house freely. When its time to
> pee, he enters the cage, steps into the box and promptly pees right over
> the side of the box and onto the cage floor-liner.
>
> What the hell, mel? Why is he doing this? He CLEARLY has the ability to
> aim correctly when he's gonna live in the box. But if he's walking
> around, he misses by a mile. I don't get it!!!!
>
> One more piece of information: when he's locked in the cage, he won't lay
> on the blanket I give him! He sits in the litterbox. That's right, he
> sits in the litterbox, opposite his perfectly-placed pee clump. Now, if
> this problem were the other way around (when he stays in the cage, he
> lays in the 'box and thus pees outside the box), I could understand it.
> But this makes no sense. When he stays in the cage, he prefers to lounge
> in the box (which isn't so strange, I see caged cats in shelters doing
> this all the time) but he pees in it 100% accurately and never misses a
> drop.
>
> Please help.

Oto - this is really getting serious. First of all, be aware that we - all
your friends in alt.pets.cats - are behind you in this 100%. We will get
through this terrible situation TOGETHER.

The rest of us have been communicating by email and REALLY getting to grips
with the situation, and after MANY days of careful deliberations we have
come to a conclusion that will, hopefully, be beneficial to all relevant
parties, including the leaking feline in question.

The only thing to do is to have the cat put down.

This would
(a) put it out of its misery
(b) put YOU out of your misery
(c) put US out of our misery

And then just buy a new cat. By training it from kittenhood how to urinate
properly - by careful application of horrific beatings, electrocution, and
whipping - it should end up giving you (and us) no grief.

David G Fisher
May 2nd 06, 07:32 PM
Did you buy a high sided litterbox with a lid? There's no way he can pee
over the top of those.

If he's peeing out the entrance, then cut some strips of plastic and hang
them vertically over the entrance like you see with some cat/dog doors.

Dave

"0to60" > wrote in message
. ..
> So I bought a large cage and put the litterbox, food, water, a blanket and
> the little miscreant into it. Now, I don't have the heart to leave him in
> there full time, but I do put him in the cage when I'm not around and at
> night. He NEVER has a problem when he's living in the cage. He
> demonstrates 100% accuracy. But, then I let him out of the cage and leave
> the door to the cage open and he roams the house freely. When its time to
> pee, he enters the cage, steps into the box and promptly pees right over
> the side of the box and onto the cage floor-liner.
>
> What the hell, mel? Why is he doing this? He CLEARLY has the ability to
> aim correctly when he's gonna live in the box. But if he's walking
> around, he misses by a mile. I don't get it!!!!
>
> One more piece of information: when he's locked in the cage, he won't lay
> on the blanket I give him! He sits in the litterbox. That's right, he
> sits in the litterbox, opposite his perfectly-placed pee clump. Now, if
> this problem were the other way around (when he stays in the cage, he lays
> in the 'box and thus pees outside the box), I could understand it. But
> this makes no sense. When he stays in the cage, he prefers to lounge in
> the box (which isn't so strange, I see caged cats in shelters doing this
> all the time) but he pees in it 100% accurately and never misses a drop.
>
> Please help.

Jim
May 3rd 06, 04:16 PM
If you every wander through a cat kennel or visit PetSmart or one of the
other pet stores when they have adoptable cats on display, the cats are in a
cage and many of them are lying in their litterbox. I've been told it is
something that makes a cat placed in an unfamiliar, insecure setting feel
more secure. Whenever I boarded my cat, I was told she spent the first few
days in her litter box.
Have you experimented with your litter box? When my cat got older and
arthritic, it was difficult for her to squat down and so she peed over the
side of the litter box. I bought a box with taller sides but a front she
could still step over easily. Don't assume that litter box problems are
always behavioral. Have you taken him to a vet for evaluation?