PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with all the new spam

AlexZ
April 27th 06, 11:53 AM
There is a ton of new spam. Fortunately it is all by one person, so
your newsreader should be able to filter it out. Also, each post has
the string T0000 in the subject line, so set another filter for that.

Barnabas Collins
April 27th 06, 03:37 PM
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:53:09 GMT, AlexZ > wrote:

>There is a ton of new spam. Fortunately it is all by one person, so
>your newsreader should be able to filter it out. Also, each post has
>the string T0000 in the subject line, so set another filter for that.
Or you can filter it out by author.

Barb
April 27th 06, 04:43 PM
Yes, I blocked and deleted all his mail but only have about ten messages
from the group. Some people sure have plenty of time on their hands!

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

---MIKE---
April 27th 06, 07:17 PM
I think this week is school vacation.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Dan Espen
April 27th 06, 09:50 PM
Brandy Alexandre > writes:

> AlexZ > wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>
>> There is a ton of new spam. Fortunately it is all by one person, so
>> your newsreader should be able to filter it out. Also, each post has
>> the string T0000 in the subject line, so set another filter for that.
>>

> There are also to abuse reporting email addresses in the header. I say
> that's the better option.

The abuser was posting from Google Groups.
A few hours ago I went to Google Groups and reported the abuse there
on his posts in alt.cats and a few other groups.

I haven't seen a post since, but who knows, he may have turned off
his program or seen the error of his ways. I don't know how
good Google is about shutting down this kind of thing.
There seems to be a lot of spam coming out of Google lately.

To report abuse, view the message, click on options, then report abuse.
You need a Google account to report abuse.

April 28th 06, 12:29 AM
Dan Espen > wrote:

>To report abuse, view the message, click on options, then report abuse.
>You need a Google account to report abuse.

News posting accounts are easily changed so it's far better to report
(send a copy including headers) to the company hosting any website
advertised. Run a traceroute on the domain name and then a whois
search on the resulting IP address. In this case it's Yahoo -
It's invariably a breach of the website
hosting terms of use.

Also, or if no website is mentioned, report to the ISP providing the
spammer with their internet connection. This can be determined by
entering the address given in the NNTP-Posting-Host into whois. In
this case it's

All the other information in the post header is easier to forge.

Here's a site with the traceroute and whois tools -
http://www.demon.net/toolkit/internettools/

If you want to make it easier for other people to report then once
you've found out the relevant email addresses post them as a reply to
the spam, but *don't* repeat or quote the spam.

April 28th 06, 12:34 PM
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:37:12 -0400, Barnabas Collins
> wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:53:09 GMT, AlexZ > wrote:
>
>>There is a ton of new spam. Fortunately it is all by one person, so
>>your newsreader should be able to filter it out. Also, each post has
>>the string T0000 in the subject line, so set another filter for that.
>Or you can filter it out by author.

Filter it yourself. I happen to enjoy reading this guys words. I read
each and every message and I found every message unique, exciting and
enlightening. It sure beats the usual boredom posted on here. I guess
you people dont understand the concept of freedom of speech, and only
want to read what trips your trigger, and dont care about other
people. If Jesus was as self centered, self serving, and self
absorbed as most of you, we'd still be waiting to have our sins
forgiven, and there would be no Christmas. If you truely love Jesus,
thank this person for posting.

Rachel

Barb P
April 28th 06, 01:06 PM
To each his own, Rachel..but remember, the groups you are calling boring are
for the topic at hand..cats not religion. Not that I have anything against
it. Every thing has a place. This wasnt the place...IMO.
--

> Filter it yourself. I happen to enjoy reading this guys words. I read
> each and every message and I found every message unique, exciting and
> enlightening. It sure beats the usual boredom posted on here. I guess
> you people dont understand the concept of freedom of speech, and only
> want to read what trips your trigger, and dont care about other
> people. If Jesus was as self centered, self serving, and self
> absorbed as most of you, we'd still be waiting to have our sins
> forgiven, and there would be no Christmas. If you truely love Jesus,
> thank this person for posting.
>
> Rachel

Barnabas Collins
April 28th 06, 07:23 PM
On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 06:34:30 -0500,
wrote:

>Filter it yourself. I happen to enjoy reading this guys words. I read
>each and every message and I found every message unique, exciting and
>enlightening.
What unique messages? I chose a couple at random, they turned out to
be spam to sell t-shirts.

Yes these people have freedom of speech. They dont' have the freedom
of sticking me with the bill for their spam.

Spam is the equivalant of junk mail sent through snail mail postage
due.

Spammers can send me all the spam they want to AFTER THEY START
PAYING FOR MY INERNET SERVICE. Right now they don't contribute a
dime.

Oh and they can send me spam too when they pay for the computer,
the electricity, my time, etc.

Right now they don't so I don't want to see their spam.

It sure beats the usual boredom posted on here. I guess
>If you truely love Jesus,
>thank this person for posting.
No Jesus would not be wasting time hawking t-shrits.

Barnabas Collins
April 28th 06, 07:26 PM
>I agree. And was the person she defends following the teaching of
>Christ? I think not.

I'm waiting for someone to show where in the Bible Jesus says it is
OK to send spam sellig T-shirts?

Barnabas Collins
April 28th 06, 07:28 PM
On 28 Apr 2006 12:29:32 GMT, Brandy Alexandre
> wrote:
>Freedom of speech has nothing to do with the rules and regulations of
>private enterprise. There is also the responsibility of speech which
>operates on the concept of things like you can't yell FIRE in a crowded
>theatre, or in our case, disrupt the ordinary flowing these
>communications. Imagine if you couldn't voice this partcular opinion,
>or just have it read, because it was buried in the flood of someone
>else's irresponsible speech that violates the terms of use of the
>organization that gave him access.
>
>Back to school for you! ;)
Go read the terms of service fo your ISP. Most likely there is a
thing in there that you can't spam Usenet Newsgroups.

Got T-shirts to sell? Take out an ad in the newspaper, buy ads
on Animal Planet, etc. Just keep your ads off my computer.

Cadman
April 29th 06, 08:23 AM
Uhhhh...what exactly does any of this have to do with cats?

You people are pathetic! You call yourself a Cat Group?
All I see is a bunch of idiots pretending to play cops and robbers!

So, is Matthew your Sherrif? He certainly seems illiterate enough to be the
Sherrif.

Are you seriously going to to attempt to police something you don't even understand?

All you ever do is whine about this and whine about that. What about the kitties?
Who sticks up for the kitties?

Well, I'll tell you who: I Do! I think it is irresponsible and extraordinarily lame that so
much time and energy here is taken away from the poor defenseless cats.

Well, there's a new Sherrif in town. And he doesn't give a **** about SPAM or "Trolls." In fact
he regularly engages in Spam and Trolling. But, one thing is for certain: he loves Cats!

And that is why CADMAN is seeking your support for the position of alt.pets.cats President.

VOTE FOR CADMAN!

--------------------

I approve this message.

-Cadman for alt.pets.cats President 2006

AlexZ wrote:
> There is a ton of new spam. Fortunately it is all by one person, so
> your newsreader should be able to filter it out. Also, each post has
> the string T0000 in the subject line, so set another filter for that.

lastcatstanding
April 29th 06, 03:43 PM
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:23:30 -0700, Cadman > wrote:

>Uhhhh...what exactly does any of this have to do with cats?
>
>You people are pathetic! You call yourself a Cat Group?
>All I see is a bunch of idiots pretending to play cops and robbers!
>
>So, is Matthew your Sherrif? He certainly seems illiterate enough to be the
>Sherrif.
>
>Are you seriously going to to attempt to police something you don't even understand?
>
>All you ever do is whine about this and whine about that. What about the kitties?
>Who sticks up for the kitties?
>
>Well, I'll tell you who: I Do! I think it is irresponsible and extraordinarily lame that so
>much time and energy here is taken away from the poor defenseless cats.
>
>Well, there's a new Sherrif in town. And he doesn't give a **** about SPAM or "Trolls." In fact
>he regularly engages in Spam and Trolling. But, one thing is for certain: he loves Cats!
>
>And that is why CADMAN is seeking your support for the position of alt.pets.cats President.
>
>VOTE FOR CADMAN!
>
>--------------------
>
>I approve this message.
>
>-Cadman for alt.pets.cats President 2006

Subscribe

Dr. Woodard
April 29th 06, 03:59 PM
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:15:51 -0500, "Barb"
> wrote:

>One man's garbage is another man's gold. A poster claims to enjoy very much
>reading the recent spam selling tee shirts. Like I posted before, some
>people must really have a lot of time on their hands!
Hey if someone wants spam they can have it all....including the ton I
get.

I for one want no spam. They can send me spam after thay pay for my
internet service and also pay for the cost of the
computer/monitor/keyboard/electricity/etc. Since right now they don't
contribute a dime to my computer expesnes I don't want a single one
of their spams.

BTW, our e-mail has been shut down a number times when an
e-mailer would send out spam, it would get bounced back,
and our emmail would be down when it is floodeded with millions
e-mails bounced back.

Barb
April 29th 06, 04:15 PM
One man's garbage is another man's gold. A poster claims to enjoy very much
reading the recent spam selling tee shirts. Like I posted before, some
people must really have a lot of time on their hands!

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

cybercat
April 29th 06, 08:13 PM
"Barb" > wrote in message
rio.net...
> One man's garbage is another man's gold. A poster claims to enjoy very
much
> reading the recent spam selling tee shirts. Like I posted before, some
> people must really have a lot of time on their hands!

I say, let them post away. It's Usenet. It's a free-for-all.

Free to post, free to react, free to ignore, free to killfile,
free to unsub and move on.

It's fabulous, if you think about it. : D

Barb P
April 29th 06, 08:38 PM
I chose the killfile....

--
> "Barb" > wrote in message
> rio.net...
>> One man's garbage is another man's gold. A poster claims to enjoy very
> much
>> reading the recent spam selling tee shirts. Like I posted before, some
>> people must really have a lot of time on their hands!
>>

> I say, let them post away. It's Usenet. It's a free-for-all.
>
> Free to post, free to react, free to ignore, free to killfile,
> free to unsub and move on.
>
> It's fabulous, if you think about it. : D
>

> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
> http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

Barnabas Collins
April 30th 06, 12:59 AM
On 29 Apr 2006 21:13:14 +0200, "cybercat" > wrote:

>"Barb" > wrote in message
rio.net...
>> One man's garbage is another man's gold. A poster claims to enjoy very
>much
>> reading the recent spam selling tee shirts. Like I posted before, some
>> people must really have a lot of time on their hands!
>>

>I say, let them post away. It's Usenet. It's a free-for-all.
>
>Free to post, free to react, free to ignore, free to killfile,
>free to unsub and move on.
>
>It's fabulous, if you think about it. : D
Except if you look at the terms of service for an ISP, many of
them list posting of spam on usenet to be an illegal acitivity and
give spamming a usenet newsgroup as grounds for cancelling an account.

April 30th 06, 04:23 AM
"Barnabas Collins" > wrote in message
> On 29 Apr 2006 21:13:14 +0200, "cybercat" > wrote:

> >It's fabulous, if you think about it. : D
> Except if you look at the terms of service for an ISP, many of
> them list posting of spam on usenet to be an illegal acitivity and
> give spamming a usenet newsgroup as grounds for cancelling an account.

A clue for you, Barney: "spam" is not defined as anything you do not like.

lastcatstanding
April 30th 06, 07:25 AM
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:59:13 -0400, Barnabas Collins
> wrote:

>On 29 Apr 2006 21:13:14 +0200, "cybercat" > wrote:
>

>>"Barb" > wrote in message
rio.net...
>>> One man's garbage is another man's gold. A poster claims to enjoy very
>>much
>>> reading the recent spam selling tee shirts. Like I posted before, some
>>> people must really have a lot of time on their hands!
>>>

>>I say, let them post away. It's Usenet. It's a free-for-all.
>>
>>Free to post, free to react, free to ignore, free to killfile,
>>free to unsub and move on.
>>
>>It's fabulous, if you think about it. : D
>Except if you look at the terms of service for an ISP, many of
>them list posting of spam on usenet to be an illegal acitivity and
>give spamming a usenet newsgroup as grounds for cancelling an account.

You go Barney!

ALL HAIL BARNEY!

Barnabas Collins
April 30th 06, 03:21 PM
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:23:39 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:
>A clue for you, Barney: "spam" is not defined as anything you do not like.
A clue for you: I define spam as anything someone is trying to sell to
me. That includes the con artirsts who are trying to sell
their scams.

And in the spam in question on this usenet newsgroup, make no mistake,
the spammer is selling T-shirts.

May 1st 06, 10:50 AM
On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:26:03 -0400, Barnabas Collins
> wrote:

>>I agree. And was the person she defends following the teaching of
>>Christ? I think not.
>
>I'm waiting for someone to show where in the Bible Jesus says it is
>OK to send spam sellig T-shirts?

Those are Jesus t-shirts. That makes them not only ok, but makes them
a work from God. Apparently you are an athiest sinner and should be
condemning Jesus offline, not spewing your hatred toward Jesus on a
public newsgroup. Maybe YOU should read the Terms of Service for your
internet service.

Jesus is alright with me !

Cats Are Gods Angels
May 1st 06, 11:51 AM
> wrote in message

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:26:03 -0400, Barnabas Collins
> > wrote:
>
> > > I agree. And was the person she defends following the teaching of
> > > Christ? I think not.
> > >

> > I'm waiting for someone to show where in the Bible Jesus says it is
> > OK to send spam sellig T-shirts?
> >

> Those are Jesus t-shirts. That makes them not only ok, but makes them
> a work from God. Apparently you are an athiest sinner and should be
> condemning Jesus offline, not spewing your hatred toward Jesus on a
> public newsgroup. Maybe YOU should read the Terms of Service for
> your internet service.

Well said, rachel. I'm sure those people think they're so smug and so smart
denying the Truth of Christ - in public, no less - but little do they know
that, all the time, their conduct is being written down in the celestial
book and will one day have to be justified to The Lord! Also, I can also
assume that those people must hate cats (beat them, and molest them),
because their hearts are so full of hate towards God, and Jesus T-shirts.
Those people are evil!

> Jesus is alright with me !

Me too, rachel. I'm sure that, like me, you believe Jesus - GOD!!! - is
merciful and compassionate to all sinners. However, having just prayed to
God and asking Him to forgive "Brandy Alexandre" and "Barnabas Collins" for
their sinful, cat/Jesus-hating habits, His voice spoke to me and said "NO!".

So I'm afraid to have to tell you two - and everyone else reading this that
hates Jesus T-shirts and God - that your days are numbered and you are
Hell-bound, and it serves you right, and I hope you burn for all eternity in
constant pain and anguish, and wishing you hadn't crossed rachel and I with
your incessant evil, and denial of the Holiness of Jesus T-shirts and Holy
Spam (in the name of Jesus, so it's not spam). Burn for all eternity.

- Love (and peace) to all (except sinners).

Ivor Jones
May 1st 06, 01:26 PM
> wrote in message

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:26:03 -0400, Barnabas Collins
> > wrote:
>
> > > I agree. And was the person she defends following
> > > the teaching of Christ? I think not.
> >
> > I'm waiting for someone to show where in the Bible
> > Jesus says it is OK to send spam sellig T-shirts?
> >

> Those are Jesus t-shirts. That makes them not only ok,
> but makes them a work from God. Apparently you are an
> athiest sinner and should be condemning Jesus offline,
> not spewing your hatred toward Jesus on a public
> newsgroup. Maybe YOU should read the Terms of Service
> for your internet service.
>
> Jesus is alright with me !

And with me, as long as it isn't force fed. Not everyone follows your
religion, don't use a non-related newsgroup to preach.

Ivor

Barnabas Collins
May 1st 06, 05:45 PM
On Mon, 1 May 2006 11:51:55 +0100, "Cats Are Gods Angels"
]> wrote:

>Me too, rachel. I'm sure that, like me, you believe Jesus - GOD!!! - is
>merciful and compassionate to all sinners. However, having just prayed to
>God and asking Him to forgive "Brandy Alexandre" and "Barnabas Collins" for
>their sinful, cat/Jesus-hating habits, His voice spoke to me and said "NO!".
>
>So I'm afraid to have to tell you two - and everyone else reading this that
>hates Jesus T-shirts and God - that your days are numbered and you are
>Hell-bound, and it serves you right, and I hope you burn for all eternity in
>constant pain and anguish, and wishing you hadn't crossed rachel and I with
>your incessant evil, and denial of the Holiness of Jesus T-shirts and Holy
>Spam (in the name of Jesus, so it's not spam). Burn for all eternity.
Hey doesn't matter to me. I'm not christian, I haven't found Jesus (i
didn't know he was lost), and I also own cats. So i'm condemned to
burn in hell or so i've been told.

Barnabas Collins
May 1st 06, 05:48 PM
>And with me, as long as it isn't force fed. Not everyone follows your
>religion, don't use a non-related newsgroup to preach.
Some people don't realize there are thousands of religions in the
world, not everyone is Christian.

I for one am not so I'm condemned to burn in hell.