PDA

View Full Version : Fountain deterrant--Any suggestions?

oldhickory
April 30th 06, 02:40 AM
Help! We have a couple of fountains that we want to put back out in our
home but can't figure out a way to keep the cat from drinking out of them.

A few months ago we discovered that "Buffy" was getting sick from drinking
the water out of one of the fountains. She vomited violently and we made
several trips to the ER and vet before we figured out what was making her
sick.

We don't have time to clean the fountains out each week, and I think that's
what it would take to keep the water fresh enough. They have lots of rocks
arranged in them and it would mean disassembling, washing bowl, rocks, pump,
then re-assembling. We just don't have that much time in our lives right
now.

Has anyone had a similar experience and found a good solution? Is there
something we could put in the water that might be a deterrant, but not
dangerous? I'm afaid a strong enough bleach solution to keep it from going
off, would make her sick.

We tried giving her her own fountain to drink out of but, of course, she
won't touch it--only the forbidden one. Of course with the new addition to
the family, there's a good chance she'll follow suit and we'll have two sick
ones...maybe three if they gang up on us...

Hmmm....I just had a thought...a little mouthwash maybe??

Thanks,
Buffy's family
http://www.davidandmollie.com/kitties/bufeyes.htm

Kiran
April 30th 06, 05:41 AM
oldhickory > wrote:

: Help! We have a couple of fountains that we want to put back out in our
: home but can't figure out a way to keep the cat from drinking out of them.

My cat also ignores all my attemts to provide her with fresh water and
marches straight to the fountain and drinks out of it. She has not
gotten sick or anything, but it is something I wonder about. I keep
filling the fountain with bottled drinking water, but I don't know if
that's enough. She just doesn't drink out of anything else.

Rhonda
April 30th 06, 06:19 AM
Having a fountain that a cat is not allowed to drink from will be pure
torture to the cats. They are naturally drawn to running water.

If you have any kind of fountain running, make sure the water is clean
and safe for them to drink. If you can't make it safe, I wouldn't do it.

Rhonda

oldhickory wrote:

> We tried giving her her own fountain to drink out of but, of course, she
> won't touch it--only the forbidden one. Of course with the new addition to
> the family, there's a good chance she'll follow suit and we'll have two sick
> ones...maybe three if they gang up on us...

April 30th 06, 04:13 PM
On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 01:40:56 GMT, "oldhickory"
> wrote:

>Help! We have a couple of fountains that we want to put back out in our
>home but can't figure out a way to keep the cat from drinking out of them.

<snip>
Have you thought of putting a small amount of one of those substances
that you spray on a cat to keep it from chewing on itself?? I've had
real good luck with bitter apple; Bernie never chews his tail
anymore. Mayabe a half teaspoon in the water would do....obviously,
it's non-toxic.

philo
April 30th 06, 07:45 PM
"oldhickory" > wrote in message
> Help! We have a couple of fountains that we want to put back out in our
> home but can't figure out a way to keep the cat from drinking out of them.
>
> A few months ago we discovered that "Buffy" was getting sick from drinking
> the water out of one of the fountains. She vomited violently and we made
> several trips to the ER and vet before we figured out what was making her
> sick.

The answer is very simple.

DO NOT USE THE FOUNTAINS!!!!!

or else be sure they are fed by fresh water
and have a constant drain rather than recirculation

Veloise
April 30th 06, 09:17 PM
oldhickory wrote:
> Help! We have a couple of fountains that we want to put back out in our
> home but can't figure out a way to keep the cat from drinking out of them.
>
> A few months ago we discovered that "Buffy" was getting sick from drinking
> the water out of one of the fountains. She vomited violently and we made
> several trips to the ER and vet before we figured out what was making her
> sick.
>
> We don't have time to clean the fountains out each week, and I think that's
> what it would take to keep the water fresh enough. They have lots of rocks
> arranged in them and it would mean disassembling, washing bowl, rocks, pump,
> then re-assembling. We just don't have that much time in our lives right
> now.

Just take your cats to the ASPCA, because clearly you aren't capable of
owning an animal.

(oops, sorry, that was from the "don't you dare take a vacation! you're
a pet owner!!!" thread)

> Has anyone had a similar experience and found a good solution? Is there
> something we could put in the water that might be a deterrant, but not
> dangerous? I'm afaid a strong enough bleach solution to keep it from going
> off, would make her sick.
>
> We tried giving her her own fountain to drink out of but, of course, she
> won't touch it--only the forbidden one. Of course with the new addition to
> the family, there's a good chance she'll follow suit and we'll have two sick
> ones...maybe three if they gang up on us...

Add some catnip smell to Buffy's fountain (little pile of it on the top
or on a ledge of it.

Bring your the decorative fountain and leave it sitting on the floor.

Experiment with what's in your baking cabinet. Does Buffy detest citrus
scents? Strawberries? Oregano? Hot peppers? Once you find the one that
she hates, put some of that on your fountain.

Then add uncomfortable pussy-footing items around your fountain.
Aluminium foil? Plastic bubble wrap? This is after she's checked out
yours, and found that hers has water in it and smells of catnip and
yours stinks.

You could also add the cola can training device. (Take an empty pop
can, put several pennies in it, and catch kitty in the act by shaking
it noisily.)

Depending on how determined she is, it might take a week to re-learn
her to leave your fountain alone.

Oh, and you'll have to quit your job so you can guard her from the
possibility of natural disasters, broken washing machine hoses, and
other possible trauma during the training, if not for the rest of her
life.

HTH

--Karen D.
who ran off yesterday leaving her furry kids with nothing but huge
bowls of dried-up cat food and water and two clean catboxes for 24
HOURS!!!

Veloise
April 30th 06, 09:17 PM
oldhickory wrote:
> Help! We have a couple of fountains that we want to put back out in our
> home but can't figure out a way to keep the cat from drinking out of them.
>
> A few months ago we discovered that "Buffy" was getting sick from drinking
> the water out of one of the fountains. She vomited violently and we made
> several trips to the ER and vet before we figured out what was making her
> sick.
>
> We don't have time to clean the fountains out each week, and I think that's
> what it would take to keep the water fresh enough. They have lots of rocks
> arranged in them and it would mean disassembling, washing bowl, rocks, pump,
> then re-assembling. We just don't have that much time in our lives right
> now.

Just take your cats to the ASPCA, because clearly you aren't capable of
owning an animal.

(oops, sorry, that was from the "don't you dare take a vacation! you're
a pet owner!!!" thread)

> Has anyone had a similar experience and found a good solution? Is there
> something we could put in the water that might be a deterrant, but not
> dangerous? I'm afaid a strong enough bleach solution to keep it from going
> off, would make her sick.
>
> We tried giving her her own fountain to drink out of but, of course, she
> won't touch it--only the forbidden one. Of course with the new addition to
> the family, there's a good chance she'll follow suit and we'll have two sick
> ones...maybe three if they gang up on us...

Add some catnip smell to Buffy's fountain (little pile of it on the top
or on a ledge of it.

Bring your the decorative fountain and leave it sitting on the floor.

Experiment with what's in your baking cabinet. Does Buffy detest citrus
scents? Strawberries? Oregano? Hot peppers? Once you find the one that
she hates, put some of that on your fountain.

Then add uncomfortable pussy-footing items around your fountain.
Aluminium foil? Plastic bubble wrap? This is after she's checked out
yours, and found that hers has water in it and smells of catnip and
yours stinks.

You could also add the cola can training device. (Take an empty pop
can, put several pennies in it, and catch kitty in the act by shaking
it noisily.)

Depending on how determined she is, it might take a week to re-learn
her to leave your fountain alone.

Oh, and you'll have to quit your job so you can guard her from the
possibility of natural disasters, broken washing machine hoses, and
other possible trauma during the training, if not for the rest of her
life.

HTH

--Karen D.
who ran off yesterday leaving her furry kids with nothing but huge
bowls of dried-up cat food and water and two clean catboxes for 24
HOURS!!!

Karen
May 1st 06, 12:46 AM
oldhickory wrote the following on 4/29/2006 9:40 PM:
> Help! We have a couple of fountains that we want to put back out in our
> home but can't figure out a way to keep the cat from drinking out of them.

Ours drink mostly from their own fountain, but once in a while they go
after the one that is difficult to clean. A bit of vinegar in the water
is a good deterrent.

Karen R.

MaryL
May 2nd 06, 07:18 AM
"oldhickory" > wrote in message
> Help! We have a couple of fountains that we want to put back out in our
> home but can't figure out a way to keep the cat from drinking out of them.
>
> A few months ago we discovered that "Buffy" was getting sick from drinking
> the water out of one of the fountains. She vomited violently and we made
> several trips to the ER and vet before we figured out what was making her
> sick.
>
> We don't have time to clean the fountains out each week, and I think
> that's what it would take to keep the water fresh enough. They have lots
> of rocks arranged in them and it would mean disassembling, washing bowl,
> rocks, pump, then re-assembling. We just don't have that much time in our
> lives right now.
>
> Has anyone had a similar experience and found a good solution? Is there
> something we could put in the water that might be a deterrant, but not
> dangerous? I'm afaid a strong enough bleach solution to keep it from going
> off, would make her sick.
>
> We tried giving her her own fountain to drink out of but, of course, she
> won't touch it--only the forbidden one. Of course with the new addition to
> the family, there's a good chance she'll follow suit and we'll have two
> sick ones...maybe three if they gang up on us...
>
> Hmmm....I just had a thought...a little mouthwash maybe??
>
> Thanks,
> Buffy's family
> http://www.davidandmollie.com/kitties/bufeyes.htm

I was given one of those little fountains, but Holly is greatly attracted to
moving water -- not just to drink but also to play. It isn't worth taking
risks with her health. I keep mine set up *without* any water. No, it's
not as pleasant to look at, but the alternative (possibly a sick cat) makes
it well worth doing without the pleasantry of a working fountain. Likewise,
I no longer keep real plants indoors -- same reaon. I have lots of plants
outdoor, but not inside. There are certain "trade offs" that come with
pets, and the great pleasure I get from my furry twosome makes all of those
decisions very easy to make.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

Will-Lee-Cue
May 2nd 06, 01:44 PM
Dumb animals tend to die sooner than smart ones.
Nature made that rule to ensure survival of the species.
Humans support the weak ones and encourage them to multiply.
Humans are so much smarter than nature!

Willee

> "oldhickory" > wrote

>> Help! We have a couple of fountains that we want to put back out in our
>> home but can't figure out a way to keep the cat from drinking out of
>> them.
>>
>> A few months ago we discovered that "Buffy" was getting sick from
>> drinking the water out of one of the fountains. She vomited violently
>> and we made several trips to the ER and vet before we figured out what
>> was making her sick.

Watersportz
May 2nd 06, 05:36 PM
news:[email protected]

> "oldhickory" > wrote in message
>
> > Help! We have a couple of fountains that we want to put back out
> > in our home but can't figure out a way to keep the cat from drinking
> > out of them.
> >

> I was given one of those little fountains, but Holly is greatly attracted
> to moving water -- not just to drink but also to play. It isn't worth
> taking risks with her health. I keep mine set up without any water.

Yeah! That's right! Me too! I, too, have a fountain - beautiful thing it is;
marble, lovely display or so the brochure pictures said, cost me a fortune -
but I won't have it working just in case it poisons my cats.

Then there's my swimming pool. Empty, and it'll stay that way. Can't have my
cat accidentally falling into it and drowning.

I also refuse to have an electrical supply running into the house, in case
my kittie sticks her paws into the outlets and gets electrocuted. Sure, it
makes life very uncomfortable, and it's Hell living without a fridge, TV,
music, heating, and lights, and my two kids were taken into care for
"neglect", but no matter. The cat is all that's important.

> No, it's not as pleasant to look at, but the alternative (possibly a
> sick cat) makes it well worth doing without the pleasantry of a
> working fountain.

Absolutely. Sure, when folks come round and point out to you that, surely,
it's pointless having a fountain if there's no water in it, and they think
you're a few cards short of the deck when you say it's because of the cat;
well, that may cause problems with your social standing, and make you think
that people consider you peculiar. "**** 'em", I always say.

> Likewise, I no longer keep real plants indoors -- same reaon.
> I have lots of plants outdoor, but not inside.

Well done. Real plants indoors? Psshhooh! OK, so real plants turn a house
into a home. They can fill a room with pleasant odours, life, energy, and
beauty. Sure, the communion between plants, the house, and humans is a holy,
beautiful thing. But **** them. Plastic ones are good enough for us, Mary.
It's for the cats!!!!!

> There are certain "trade offs" that come with pets, and the great pleasure
> I get from my furry twosome makes all of those decisions very easy to
make.

I couldn't agree with you less, Mary.

Say - have you ever considered purchasing some form of battery-operated,
vibrating sex-aid? You should. It would do you the world of good, you know.

David G Fisher
May 4th 06, 11:24 PM
"Will-Lee-Cue" > wrote in message
> Dumb animals tend to die sooner than smart ones.
> Nature made that rule to ensure survival of the species.
> Humans support the weak ones and encourage them to multiply.
> Humans are so much smarter than nature!
>
> Willee

I guess that's why there are so many f*cking stupid human animals around.

Dave

Phurball
May 5th 06, 12:54 AM
"David G Fisher" > wrote in message

> "Will-Lee-Cue" > wrote in message
>
> > Dumb animals tend to die sooner than smart ones.
> > Nature made that rule to ensure survival of the species.
> > Humans support the weak ones and encourage them to multiply.
> > Humans are so much smarter than nature!
> >

> I guess that's why there are so many f*cking stupid human animals around.

Yes. They're called cat-owners.

================
Cat-show Special :
http://tinyurl.com/kwsqx
================

Will-Lee-Cue
May 6th 06, 04:24 PM
Well Dave ... I guess you got my point!

Willee

"David G Fisher" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Will-Lee-Cue" > wrote in message
>> Dumb animals tend to die sooner than smart ones.
>> Nature made that rule to ensure survival of the species.
>> Humans support the weak ones and encourage them to multiply.
>> Humans are so much smarter than nature!
>>
>> Willee
>>

> I guess that's why there are so many f*cking stupid human animals around.
>
> Dave

oldhickory
May 6th 06, 10:44 PM
To others who responded with constructive suggestions, thank you very much.

To these guys, for pointing out what a worthless person I am, gosh, thanks
for being so helpful.

Since I'm so fricken worthless, I guess I'll stop trying to find a solution
to my dilemma and I'll

1. Put the fountain back out and let the cats drink out of it and get sick.
2. Get rid of the fountain that I love having for mental health reasons
3. Get rid of the cats.

There is obviously no point in trying to be intelligent or resourceful about
anything ever again.....

sheesh......why do I bother communicating?

"Will-Lee-Cue" > wrote in message
> Well Dave ... I guess you got my point!
>
> Willee
>
> "David G Fisher" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "Will-Lee-Cue" > wrote in message
>>> Dumb animals tend to die sooner than smart ones.
>>> Nature made that rule to ensure survival of the species.
>>> Humans support the weak ones and encourage them to multiply.
>>> Humans are so much smarter than nature!
>>>
>>> Willee
>>>

>> I guess that's why there are so many f*cking stupid human animals around.
>>
>> Dave

Decent Cat Person, Unlike YOU!
May 7th 06, 04:31 AM
"oldhickory" > whined like a ****HEAD
in message

> To others who responded with constructive suggestions, thank you very
> much.
>
> To these guys, for pointing out what a worthless person I am, gosh, thanks
> for being so helpful.
>
> Since I'm so fricken worthless, I guess I'll stop trying to find a
> solution to my dilemma and I'll
>
> 1. Put the fountain back out and let the cats drink out of it and get
sick.
> 2. Get rid of the fountain that I love having for mental health reasons
> 3. Get rid of the cats.
>
> There is obviously no point in trying to be intelligent or resourceful
> about anything ever again.....
>
> sheesh......why do I bother communicating?

You shouldn't bother.

We hate you. We think you are CRUEL TO CATS, and very, very stupid. We're
also not surprised you have mental health problems, you retard.

If you ever come back to this group again, we'll hunt you down. All us
regulars have been in touch concerning you, and we mean it, you ****.

LEAVE OUR GROUP ALONE, you cruel, cat-hating *******. Go rot in Hell.

-- This Petition digitally signed by --

Yojimbo
Barb P
Barnabas Collins
Matthew AKA NMR
Grampa Walton
Magic Mood JeepŠ
Barlyn via CatKB.com
Anna via CatKB.com
mlbriggs
Foundryrat
MaryL
lastcatstanding

-L.
May 7th 06, 07:31 AM
oldhickory wrote:
> Help! We have a couple of fountains that we want to put back out in our
> home but can't figure out a way to keep the cat from drinking out of them.

<snip>

Add distilled water to the sterilized fountain (and rocks) and install
a carbon filter in the fountain - it should have a filter already in it
which needs to be cleaned and replaced monthly at least. If it has no
filter, you are pretty much sunk - you will have to ditch the
fountains.

You can sterilize the fountain by running a 10% bleach solution through
it for 10 minutes, and then rinse it well with distilled water. Remove
all the rocks and treat them separately. Dry all parts with paper
towles and let them sit for 48 hours to liberate any chlorine that
might be left.

-L.

Will-Lee-Cue
May 9th 06, 03:12 AM
"oldhickory" > wrote

> sheesh......why do I bother communicating?

Communicating involves listening and considering ideas outside your own.
If you start off with a closed mind then no communication is possible.
You asked for opinions and opinions you got ... take them for what they are
worth.

I hope you resolve your problems with your cat to your complete
satisfaction.

Willee

Char
May 12th 06, 04:28 AM
"Decent Cat Person, Unlike YOU!" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_WITH_OLDHIC KORY!...

> "oldhickory" > whined like a ****HEAD
> in message
> >
> > To others who responded with constructive suggestions, thank you very
> > much.
> >
> > To these guys, for pointing out what a worthless person I am, gosh,
thanks
> > for being so helpful.
> >
> > Since I'm so fricken worthless, I guess I'll stop trying to find a
> > solution to my dilemma and I'll
> >
> > 1. Put the fountain back out and let the cats drink out of it and get
> sick.
> > 2. Get rid of the fountain that I love having for mental health reasons
> > 3. Get rid of the cats.
> >
> > There is obviously no point in trying to be intelligent or resourceful
> > about anything ever again.....
> >
> > sheesh......why do I bother communicating?
> >

> You shouldn't bother.
>
> We hate you. We think you are CRUEL TO CATS, and very, very stupid. We're
> also not surprised you have mental health problems, you retard.
>
> If you ever come back to this group again, we'll hunt you down. All us
> regulars have been in touch concerning you, and we mean it, you ****.
>
> LEAVE OUR GROUP ALONE, you cruel, cat-hating *******. Go rot in Hell.
>
> -- This Petition digitally signed by --
>
> Yojimbo
> Barb P
> Barnabas Collins
> Matthew AKA NMR
> Grampa Walton
> Magic Mood JeepŠ
> Barlyn via CatKB.com
> Anna via CatKB.com
> mlbriggs
> Foundryrat
> MaryL
> lastcatstanding

One word...
HA-LAR-I-OUS!
Can I sign? Can I sign?

OdorDestroyer.com
December 5th 06, 03:49 PM
Buffy's family,

This is a shameless plug for my company, but have you considered an
electronic cat repellent? We carry one for just under $30 that is
completely inaudible to humans. It is called a CatScram and operates
off a 9v battery or optional AC adapter.

Here's the description: The CatScram cat repellent is easy to use. Just
turn it on and place it so it faces the area you want to be cat free.
CatScram watches around the clock so you won't come home to find any
more yakballs on your stove or cat urine marking on your expensive couch.

And the link:
http://www.odordestroyer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CSCRAM

Hope that helps,
Philip

http://www.OdorDestroyer.com
Powerful pet odor removers for powerful pet odors.