PDA

View Full Version : long-haired cat hair growth?

furfin
April 30th 06, 07:16 PM
I just adopted two 13 month old domestic long hair cats. I have heard
it takes two to three years for the full coat to come in. Does anyone
know how much they change in the second and third years? Here are
recent pics:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d158/furfin/gustoy4.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d158/furfin/Hjump400.jpg

Buddy
April 30th 06, 09:09 PM
They will look a bit fluffier in a few years. The age they are at
right now is the most gangly looking age for a cat, I think.

Toni
April 30th 06, 10:07 PM
"furfin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I just adopted two 13 month old domestic long hair cats. I have heard
> it takes two to three years for the full coat to come in. Does anyone
> know how much they change in the second and third years? Here are
> recent pics:
> http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d158/furfin/gustoy4.jpg
> http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d158/furfin/Hjump400.jpg

My black cat has hair exactly like that- longish but not too profuse. It is
the perfect amount of coat for a longhaired cat as it is easier to maintain
than Persian type coats. You will get nice long hair on the tail, back of
the rear legs, and neck ruff but not too much in other areas. So as long as
the cat is on a decent diet and you brush a couple of times a week you won't
see too many hairs floating around your home.

Length also depends to some extent on your climate and whether or not they
are exclusively indoor cats. The length of the daylight (or artificial light
if indoor animals) regulates the shedding cycles, so outdoor cats will see
longer hair in the winter and shorter in the summer (in the northern
hemisphere anyway) and indoor cats will remain relatively uniform all year
round.

And spayed female animals see less hormonal cycle induced shedding, and thus
carry more uniform coats year round than non spayed animals.

Enjoy them however they turn out!

-Toni

furfin
May 1st 06, 02:46 AM
Thanks that's really interesting. I'm hoping they don't get too long
because of matting potential. I read that you need to brush longhairs
every day but they don't tolerate much more that a few brief swipes at
a time and I'm such a cat pleaser I don't want to push it because I
want them to enjoy being handled by people. I would rather brush every
few days than every day but I will do what is necessary. They came with
tiny balls of matted hair under the arms that I trimmed out and one had
a matt on one side of his butt that I also trimmed off. My maine coon
kitty lookalike doesn't really matt and is easy to brush but these guys
seem to have more undercoat. Maybe as they age and settle down they
will sit still for brushing more.

One of my new guys is definitely hairier than the other and this one
might need the butt shave treatment. Does anyone do this and what razor
& blades do you use, and how do you go about it?

Toni
May 1st 06, 11:05 AM
"furfin" > wrote in message
> I read that you need to brush longhairs
> every day but they don't tolerate much more that a few brief swipes at
> a time and I'm such a cat pleaser I don't want to push it because I
> want them to enjoy being handled by people. I would rather brush every
> few days than every day but I will do what is necessary.

During the initial training period I keep a brush and a package of cat
treats next to my favorite chair and do a couple of swipes every time the
cat comes to say hello. This way they learn that it doesn't hurt, is always
over quickly, and a treat follows.

> One of my new guys is definitely hairier than the other and this one
> might need the butt shave treatment. Does anyone do this and what razor
> & blades do you use,

In our grooming shop we use a #10 blade on butts.

> and how do you go about it?

Very carefully. You might need a helper to hold.
Cats vary quite a bit in their reactions- some accept it well and others
will fight you tooth and nail. It is easy to hurt them, easier to cut them,
and as clippers and blades are quite expensive a groomer might be best.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com