PDA

View Full Version : Uneaten canned food

Kiran
May 1st 06, 08:21 AM
I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...

Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
lid?

Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
prices!)?

What a Feline
May 1st 06, 11:25 AM
"Kiran" > wrote in message

> I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
> sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...
> Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
> plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
> lid?
>
> Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
> prices!)?

Think of all the starving children in the world, you soft, pampered ****.
Three possibilities spring to mind :

(1) Eat it yourself.
(2) Tie your cat down; force open its jaws; and MAKE the little ****er eat
it.
(3) Lock the cat in a box, or an escape-proof room for a week, with no food.
On release, see if it's in the mood.

MaryL
May 1st 06, 11:39 AM
"Kiran" > wrote in message
>I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
> sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...
>
> Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
> plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
> lid?
>
> Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
> prices!)?

Yes, you could save it for later if it is refrigerated. It should be fine
as long as it is covered (either plastic wrap or a plastic cover). I
haven't needed to do that because mine eat all of their food, but I did that
for awhile during the "transition" period from dry food to premium canned
food. In addition, I give each cat 1/3 cat of premium canned food (5.5 oz.)
twice a day. I refrigerate the remainder in the original can with a plastic
lid. That leaves 1/3 can, and two of those are then used together for a
meal.

MaryL
Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

Spider
May 1st 06, 01:35 PM
"Kiran" > wrote in message
>I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
> sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...
>
> Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
> plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
> lid?
>
> Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
> prices!)?

Hi Kiran,

Many cats (my Cheetah is one) enjoy their wet food a bit more gamey.
Cheetah licks the jelly off her food, waits for it to 'ripen' a bit, then
comes back and devours most of what's left. This doesn't mean you should
poison your cat with putrid food, but let her decide to try again later.
My Cheetah yowls at me crossly from her dish when she wants fresh, and she's
even dragged me in from the garden if I've missed her dinner time, so I know
she's not forcing herself to eat rotten food. I've never met a cat who
would. Don't be too ready to snatch up uneaten food until you've given her
chance to eat it. When either of my cats are fussy, I simply refuse to feel
guilty (they're very well cared for) and I serve their next dinner at the
appropriate time. Yes, occasionally I throw away an uneaten dinner, but
it's always at the next meal time, not in response to pussy pathos.

Yes, of course you can refridgerate uneaten food. It must be covered, and
cling film is fine. When you want to serve it again, be sure to let it come
to room temperature as most cats prefer their food this way. Having said
that, my ex Tiggypuss loved his dinner straight from the fridge, so maybe
try this as well. You already know that your puss will tell you if she
doesn't appreciate it.

Try not to worry. It's easy to be governed by pussy pathos but, when you
know how, it's easier still not to be. Another quick tip: don't watch kitty
eat - would you like it? - put her dinner down and walk away, so she's knows
you mean business.

Hope all goes well,
Spider

Unknown One
May 1st 06, 01:37 PM
>I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
>sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...
>
>Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
>plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
>lid?
>
>Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
>prices!)?

Don't know about yours but mine very seldon will eat when I give it to them but by morning
it is always gone. I would just leave it and see if they eat it later. I have one that
loves his canned food but he prefers it after it starts to dry out then he wolfs down
whatever the others have left.

The others eat a little at a time when they "get the urge" to eat.

lastcatstanding
May 1st 06, 02:01 PM
On Mon, 1 May 2006 11:25:05 +0100, "What a Feline"
]> wrote:

>"Kiran" > wrote in message

>> I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
>> sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...
>> Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
>> plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
>> lid?
>>
>> Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
>> prices!)?
>>

>Think of all the starving

< SLAP >

You have nothing to contribute.

Kiran
May 1st 06, 03:27 PM
Spider > wrote:

: Many cats (my Cheetah is one) enjoy their wet food a bit more gamey.
: Cheetah licks the jelly off her food, waits for it to 'ripen' a bit, then
: comes back and devours most of what's left. This doesn't mean you should
: poison your cat with putrid food, but let her decide to try again later.

Thank you for your most reassuring post. Yeah, maybe I do watch her and
pay attention to her reactions too much, and it would be better to just
relax.

How long would you leave the wet food uneaten on the plate before you
either regrigerate it or discard it? These days my home is probably at
60 degrees.

:
: Yes, of course you can refridgerate uneaten food. It must be covered, and
: cling film is fine. When you want to serve it again, be sure to let it come
: to room temperature as most cats prefer their food this way. Having said
: that, my ex Tiggypuss loved his dinner straight from the fridge, so maybe
: try this as well. You already know that your puss will tell you if she
: doesn't appreciate it.
:
: Try not to worry. It's easy to be governed by pussy pathos but, when you
: know how, it's easier still not to be. Another quick tip: don't watch kitty
: eat - would you like it? - put her dinner down and walk away, so she's knows
: you mean business.
:
: Hope all goes well,
: Spider

Kiran
May 1st 06, 03:30 PM
Unknown One > wrote:

: Don't know about yours but mine very seldon will eat when I give it to them
: but by morning it is always gone. I would just leave it and see if they eat it later.

Good to know! I assume you mean serve it in the evening/night and leave
it till next morning; so, it is ok to leave it for 8-10 hours? I know
you can do that with dry, but I was worrying about canned.

FirstDogSitting
May 1st 06, 04:17 PM
"lastcatstanding" > wrote in message

> On Mon, 1 May 2006 11:25:05 +0100, "What a Feline"
> ]> wrote:
>

> > "Kiran" > wrote in message
> >

> > > I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a
> > > few sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...
> > > Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
> > > plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
lid?
> > > Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
> > > prices!)?
> > >

> > Think of all the starving children in the world, you soft, pampered
****.
> > Three possibilities spring to mind :
> >
> > (1) Eat it yourself.
> > (2) Tie your cat down; force open its jaws; and MAKE the little ****er
> > eat it.
> > (3) Lock the cat in a box, or an escape-proof room for a week, with no
food.
> > On release, see if it's in the mood.
> >

> < unSLAPped >
> You have nothing to contribute.

Neither has :
lastcatstanding,

cybercat
May 1st 06, 07:04 PM
"Unknown One" > wrote in message

> >I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
> >sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...
> >
> >Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
> >plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
> >lid?
> >
> >Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
> >prices!)?
>

> Don't know about yours but mine very seldon will eat when I give it to
them but by morning
> it is always gone. I would just leave it and see if they eat it later. I
have one that
> loves his canned food but he prefers it after it starts to dry out then he
wolfs down
> whatever the others have left.
>
> The others eat a little at a time when they "get the urge" to eat.

Same here. I have seen advice to take up the food in 30 minutes but if I did
that my Gracie would not get a chance to eat. It keeps just fine for hours
in
a house kept at about 70 degrees. Perhaps in hotter places there might be
as danger, but I doubt there would be until, say, 8 hours or more had
passed.

Spider
May 1st 06, 07:35 PM
"Kiran" > wrote in message
> Spider > wrote:
>
> : Many cats (my Cheetah is one) enjoy their wet food a bit more gamey.
> : Cheetah licks the jelly off her food, waits for it to 'ripen' a bit,
> then
> : comes back and devours most of what's left. This doesn't mean you
> should
> : poison your cat with putrid food, but let her decide to try again
> later.
>
> Thank you for your most reassuring post. Yeah, maybe I do watch her and
> pay attention to her reactions too much, and it would be better to just
> relax.
>
> How long would you leave the wet food uneaten on the plate before you
> either regrigerate it or discard it? These days my home is probably at
> 60 degrees.

Hi Kiran,

:~) Glad to help.

Certainly if you watch her a lot she is going to feel unsettled and
defensive. Cats don't enjoy spectators or other forms of confrontation.
Further, if you walk away after putting her dinner down, you are making it
clear to her that the a' la carte menu is off today. What she sees is what
she gets.

Mmmm. 60 degrees is a bit cosy. If there's no cooler place to feed her,
then try 'fridging' it after an hour or so. You will soon know if you need
to shorten the time period! ... and it won't be the cat telling you! First
of all, though, take that small risk of leaving it down longer. If this
hits you on your guilt muscle, then leave some dry food for her, too. That
way, you don't have to worry about her starving.

Another idea would be to put less wet food down in one serving. This way
she won't be over-faced ... her survival instincts may tell her to eat while
food is scarce ... you get to save some money. Happiness all round.

Good luck.
Spider

Mike
May 1st 06, 07:40 PM
I feed my cat Hall's Prescription I/D canned food. I once called them to ask
some questions. The lady on the phone said canned food shouldn't be left at
room temperature for more than 3 or 4 hours. This makes sense to me. So, I
only dole out what I know she'll eat in one sitting.

When I buy canned food at my vets I also get a supply of plastic lids. After
Her Majesty gets her breakfast I save the rest in the refrigerator with the
washable lid on the can. She'll eat it after the second day but asking her
to eat food that's been in the fridge for 3 days is, I think, a personal
insult to her. She says, 'no'.

Mike in Illinois

"Kiran" > wrote in message
>I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
> sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...
>
> Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
> plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
> lid?
>
> Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
> prices!)?

MAO
May 2nd 06, 12:18 AM
"What a Feline" ]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]!EAT!!!...

> Think of all the starving children in the world, you soft, pampered ****.
> Three possibilities spring to mind :

SNIP

I feed the starving children to my cat ...when she's in the mood. Everybody
wins.

mladyJane
May 2nd 06, 03:22 AM
No you can just cover it well with syran or put it in a plastic
container witha sealing lid--no problem.My cat goes through her fiicky
thing.Some days she's hungry-polishes off all her food other days I
have to refridgerateit.I give her a half hour to eat her meal and
whatever is left gets covered and put in the fridge for her next meal.
Kiran wrote:
> I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
> sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...
>
> Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
> plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
> lid?
>
> Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
> prices!)?

Java
May 8th 06, 04:27 AM
Feed her/him with dry food. Better for the teeth.
Java
"Kiran" > a écrit dans le message de
> I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
> sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...
>
> Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
> plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
> lid?
>
> Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
> prices!)?

Joe Canuck
May 8th 06, 04:48 AM
Java wrote:
> Feed her/him with dry food. Better for the teeth.

Debatable.

> Java
> "Kiran" > a écrit dans le message de
>> I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
>> sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...
>>
>> Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
>> plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
>> lid?
>>
>> Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
>> prices!)?

MaryL
May 9th 06, 09:35 PM
"Java" > wrote in message
> Feed her/him with dry food. Better for the teeth.
> Java
> "Kiran" > a écrit dans le message de
>> I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
>> sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...
>>
>> Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
>> plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
>> lid?
>>
>> Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
>> prices!)?

That used to be the theory but has now been pretty much discarded. Cats do
not "chew," as people do -- they simply bite down and "crunch." (And even
for people, does chewing really help our teeth??) More recent research
seems to indicate that good-quality canned food is much better for your
cat's health and also will ensure more water intake.

MaryL