PDA

View Full Version : IrfanView... does it send the wrong message?

Charlie Wilkes
May 2nd 06, 06:31 AM
It is my favorite free graphics viewer. But, for years now, the
default icon for IrfanView is an image of a run-over cat. You can
even change to a similar icon that shows the tire treads.

As much as I like the software, I am concerned that icon sends the
wrong message, especially to children. A run over frog would be much
better, in my opinion, and just as cute. I don't hate frogs, but they
are wild animals, and people eat their legs. I therefore hope you
will join me in emailing the author of IrfanView, requesting that he
change his logo from a run-over cat to a run-over frog.

Charlie

cybercat
May 2nd 06, 08:29 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> It is my favorite free graphics viewer. But, for years now, the
> default icon for IrfanView is an image of a run-over cat. You can
> even change to a similar icon that shows the tire treads.
>
> As much as I like the software, I am concerned that icon sends the
> wrong message, especially to children. A run over frog would be much
> better, in my opinion, and just as cute. I don't hate frogs, but they
> are wild animals, and people eat their legs. I therefore hope you
> will join me in emailing the author of IrfanView, requesting that he
> change his logo from a run-over cat to a run-over frog.
>
> Charlie

:) Hiya Charlie, nice to see you back.

Unknown One
May 2nd 06, 01:08 PM
>It is my favorite free graphics viewer. But, for years now, the
>default icon for IrfanView is an image of a run-over cat. You can
>even change to a similar icon that shows the tire treads.
>
>As much as I like the software, I am concerned that icon sends the
>wrong message, especially to children. A run over frog would be much
>better, in my opinion, and just as cute. I don't hate frogs, but they
>are wild animals, and people eat their legs. I therefore hope you
>will join me in emailing the author of IrfanView, requesting that he
>change his logo from a run-over cat to a run-over frog.
>
>Charlie

You know I have been using IrfanView for years and never really noticed that the red
splotch was a run over cat. After I realized this I did change the icon to what appears
to be a set of woman's boobs on my systems.

Alison
May 2nd 06, 01:50 PM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> It is my favorite free graphics viewer. But, for years now, the
> default icon for IrfanView is an image of a run-over cat. You can
> even change to a similar icon that shows the tire treads.
>
> As much as I like the software, I am concerned that icon sends the
> wrong message, especially to children. A run over frog would be much
> better, in my opinion, and just as cute. I don't hate frogs, but they
> are wild animals, and people eat their legs. I therefore hope you
> will join me in emailing the author of IrfanView, requesting that he
> change his logo from a run-over cat to a run-over frog.>>>

OMG! I never realised it was a run over cat! :((

Alison

Barb
May 2nd 06, 04:40 PM
I, too, use that software and never realized that. How do you change the
icon?

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Barb
May 2nd 06, 04:41 PM
How do you change the icon?

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

PawsForThought
May 2nd 06, 07:31 PM
Weird. I never noticed it was a cat. Are you sure it's a run over
cat? It's so small it's hard for me to tell. Barb, to change the
icon, right click on the shortcut for Irfanview, then click Properties,
then Change Icon. Then just browse for an icon of your liking.

Lauren

PawsForThought
May 2nd 06, 07:33 PM
Ok, I checked out the icon again. It seems there are 2 cat icons. One
is just a plain cat wearing sunglasses and the other one is the cat
with what looks to be tire tracks, or you could interpret as waves in
an ocean maybe. Charlie, look what you started!

Charlie Wilkes
May 3rd 06, 03:55 AM
On Tue, 2 May 2006 10:40:51 -0500, "Barb" >
wrote:

>I, too, use that software and never realized that. How do you change the
>icon?

How could you fail to notice a DEAD CAT on your desktop?

You must have icewater running in your veins, Barb.

Right click on the icon, choose properties, choose the shortcut tab,
and click on "change icon." You can choose a happy smiley face, an
island with a palm tree, a woman with big tits, or a run-over cat
w/tire treads.

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
May 3rd 06, 04:38 AM
On 2 May 2006 11:31:14 -0700, "PawsForThought" >
wrote:

>Weird. I never noticed it was a cat. Are you sure it's a run over
>cat? It's so small it's hard for me to tell. Barb, to change the

Undoubtedly. Check the icons available in the .exe if you doubt me.
One of them shows the same cat w/tire tracks.

Charlie

>icon, right click on the shortcut for Irfanview, then click Properties,
>then Change Icon. Then just browse for an icon of your liking.
>
>Lauren

Charlie Wilkes
May 3rd 06, 04:41 AM
On 2 May 2006 11:33:55 -0700, "PawsForThought" >
wrote:

>Ok, I checked out the icon again. It seems there are 2 cat icons. One
>is just a plain cat wearing sunglasses and the other one is the cat
>with what looks to be tire tracks, or you could interpret as waves in
>an ocean maybe. Charlie, look what you started!

"Waves in an ocean" my ass! Those are tire tracks. Face reality,
Lauren: it's a great program and it's free, but its trademark is a RUN
OVER CAT.

Charlie

Barb
May 3rd 06, 11:44 AM
Thanks, Lauren. Very helpful!

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Barb
May 3rd 06, 11:49 AM
Well, Charlie,

Either I have ice water running in my veins or I just didn't notice it was a
cat, like some of the other posters. Do you want to give me the benefit of
a doubt?

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Charlie Wilkes
May 3rd 06, 01:47 PM
On Wed, 3 May 2006 05:49:05 -0500, "Barb" >
wrote:

> Well, Charlie,
>
>Either I have ice water running in my veins or I just didn't notice it was a
>cat, like some of the other posters. Do you want to give me the benefit of
>a doubt?

I suppose I will give you the benefit of the doubt. At least you
didn't think the tire tracks were "waves in the ocean."

So what icon did you choose instead of the run-over cat? The panda
bear perhaps?

Charlie

Juice
May 3rd 06, 02:35 PM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

> So what icon did you choose instead of the run-over cat? The panda
> bear perhaps?

I percieve you have re-upped on your kif

PawsForThought
May 3rd 06, 06:14 PM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> I suppose I will give you the benefit of the doubt. At least you
> didn't think the tire tracks were "waves in the ocean."

Harumph! better to think waves in the ocean instead of flattened fauna
:(

cybercat
May 3rd 06, 11:24 PM
"PawsForThought" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> > I suppose I will give you the benefit of the doubt. At least you
> > didn't think the tire tracks were "waves in the ocean."
>
> Harumph! better to think waves in the ocean instead of flattened fauna
> :(

Charlie is just soooo bad. :) That's what makes him buckets
of fun.

-L.
May 4th 06, 08:36 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> On Tue, 2 May 2006 10:40:51 -0500, "Barb" >
> wrote:
>
> >I, too, use that software and never realized that. How do you change the
> >icon?
>
> How could you fail to notice a DEAD CAT on your desktop?

Could be a dog. You really cannot tell.

-L.

Charlie Wilkes
May 4th 06, 09:12 AM
On 3 May 2006 10:14:13 -0700, "PawsForThought" >
wrote:

>Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>> I suppose I will give you the benefit of the doubt. At least you
>> didn't think the tire tracks were "waves in the ocean."
>
>Harumph! better to think waves in the ocean instead of flattened fauna
>:(

Did you change your icon?

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
May 4th 06, 09:14 AM
On 3 May 2006 06:35:09 -0700, "Juice" >
wrote:

>Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>
>> So what icon did you choose instead of the run-over cat? The panda
>> bear perhaps?
>
>I percieve you have re-upped on your kif

Yeah, I was a little stoned. I had to cancel my trip to New Mexico at
the last minute, because I discovered to my chagrin that my driver's
license expired last fall, so I wouldn't be able to rent a car. I
took solace in the herb and spent about 12 hours tweaking my desktop
with custom icons.

Charlie

Barb
May 4th 06, 01:42 PM
Hey, Charlie,

I chose the island with a palm tree. I don't have a cat with sunglasses as
a choice.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Juice
May 4th 06, 02:25 PM
-L. wrote:

> Could be a dog. You really cannot tell.
>
> -L.

it's a cartoon! like when wile Wile E. gets flattened by his own
schemes

anybody that would write irfanview about some "flat cat" should get an
update from irfanview they should install that update and render their
software in-operative, lol

Juice
May 4th 06, 04:57 PM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> I had to cancel my trip to New Mehico at
> the last minute, because I discovered to my chagrin that my driver's
> license expired last fall, so I wouldn't be able to rent a car. I
> took solace in the herb and spent about 12 hours tweaking my desktop
> with custom icons.

<copped from another thread>

President Fox is to sign legislation that will make Mehico one of the
most permissive countries in the world when it comes to narcotics.

Users will be able to possess up to five grams of marijuana (the
equivalent of about four joints), five grams of opium, 25 milligrams of

heroin and 500 milligrams of cocaine - enough for a few lines.

Nor will they be prosecuted for possessing a few tabs of Ecstasy, small

quantities of amphetamines or magic mushrooms, or even a kilo of
so-called indigenous drugs such as the hallucinogenic peyote, a
psychotropic cactus still used in shamanic rituals

my take on it, the have-nots are costing the local gov't's too much
money in pro cessing them, this keeps them out of the courthouses

OH WAIT! YOU SAID NEW MEHICO! MY BAD

cybercat
May 4th 06, 05:32 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 May 2006 10:40:51 -0500, "Barb" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I, too, use that software and never realized that. How do you change
the
> > >icon?
> >
> > How could you fail to notice a DEAD CAT on your desktop?
>
> Could be a dog. You really cannot tell.
>
> -L.

Oh well, if it's a DOG then that's okay.

ducking and ----------------> running

PawsForThought
May 4th 06, 06:36 PM
Juice wrote:
> -L. wrote:
>
> > Could be a dog. You really cannot tell.
> >
> > -L.
>
> it's a cartoon! like when wile Wile E. gets flattened by his own
> schemes
>
> anybody that would write irfanview about some "flat cat" should get an
> update from irfanview they should install that update and render their
> software in-operative, lol

ROFL! Well I did end up sending an email to him. He sent me back a
really nice reply. He loves cats too and said the icon is just a joke
:) I'm keeping the one I have which is the cat with sunglasses.

Alison
May 4th 06, 10:22 PM
"Barb" > wrote in message
rio.net...
> Hey, Charlie,
>
> I chose the island with a palm tree. I don't have a cat with sunglasses
as
> a choice.
>
> --
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.>>

I don't have any choice, I just have the sunbathing cat with sunglasses.
The sunglasses could be a mask and the cat is a cat burglar who fell while
breaking and entering and landed with a splat!
Alison

Charlie Wilkes
May 5th 06, 12:29 AM
On 4 May 2006 10:36:32 -0700, "PawsForThought" >
wrote:

>Juice wrote:
>> -L. wrote:
>>
>> > Could be a dog. You really cannot tell.
>> >
>> > -L.
>>
>> it's a cartoon! like when wile Wile E. gets flattened by his own
>> schemes
>>
>> anybody that would write irfanview about some "flat cat" should get an
>> update from irfanview they should install that update and render their
>> software in-operative, lol
>
>ROFL! Well I did end up sending an email to him. He sent me back a
>really nice reply. He loves cats too and said the icon is just a joke
>:) I'm keeping the one I have which is the cat with sunglasses.

He might be ok, but I'm glad he didn't end up with Conan.

Charlie

cybercat
May 5th 06, 12:52 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> On 4 May 2006 10:36:32 -0700, "PawsForThought" >
> wrote:
>

> >Juice wrote:

> >> it's a cartoon! like when wile Wile E. gets flattened by his own
> >> schemes
> >>
> >> anybody that would write irfanview about some "flat cat" should get an
> >> update from irfanview they should install that update and render their
> >> software in-operative, lol
> >
> >ROFL! Well I did end up sending an email to him. He sent me back a
> >really nice reply. He loves cats too and said the icon is just a joke
> >:) I'm keeping the one I have which is the cat with sunglasses.
>
> He might be ok, but I'm glad he didn't end up with Conan.

I still think about that cat. I hope he's happy. I wonder if Philip is dead
yet? And I wonder what happened to the beautiful brown tabby kitten Philip
adopted.

Juice
May 5th 06, 01:53 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

> He might be ok, but I'm glad he didn't end up with Conan.

how did Conan end up?

Charlie Wilkes
May 5th 06, 11:26 AM
On 5 May 2006 01:52:01 +0200, "cybercat" > wrote:

>"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
>> On 4 May 2006 10:36:32 -0700, "PawsForThought" >
>> wrote:

>> >ROFL! Well I did end up sending an email to him. He sent me back a
>> >really nice reply. He loves cats too and said the icon is just a joke
>> >:) I'm keeping the one I have which is the cat with sunglasses.
>>
>> He might be ok, but I'm glad he didn't end up with Conan.
>>

>I still think about that cat. I hope he's happy. I wonder if Philip is dead
>yet? And I wonder what happened to the beautiful brown tabby kitten Philip
>adopted.

You could contact that woman in BC and ask after Conan, I suppose.
She hasn't posted here since the debacle ended, has she?

I thought it would have been fun if Conan had been adopted by someone
in this group, who could then post updates and photos etc. I didn't
really care who it was, but I thought it was a cool idea for the group
to sponsor a cat collectively.

But, I have learned out here on the island that when people get
together and start having fun, and doing something constructive in the
process, one or more individuals often look for a chance to spoil the
soup. Invariably these people operate behind a veil of high-minded
concern for some principle, law, or public safety issue. And so it
was with Conan's "rescuers."

As for Philip, he was a fun guy. He was just in it for kicks. His
reason for returning Conan was valid, IMO -- he was sick himself, not
the right person to husband a cat who might have chronic health
problems. He knew people would hit the roof, and he enjoyed every
second of it.

As for the cats, if I had to guess, I'd guess that both Conan and the
brown tabby are leading happy lives. It's not that hard to provide a
good home for a cat. Show me an "expert" at something most people can
do pretty well by applying common sense, and I'll show you someone who
doesn't have much to offer.

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
May 5th 06, 11:28 AM
On 4 May 2006 17:53:35 -0700, "Juice" >
wrote:

>Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>
>> He might be ok, but I'm glad he didn't end up with Conan.
>
>how did Conan end up?

What the hell is the name of that woman who seized control of him
through the offices of "Deceitful Dan" Mahoney? I cannot remember. I
think someone in the group should send her a friendly email, asking
about Conan.

Charlie

someone97
May 15th 06, 01:01 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> On 2 May 2006 11:31:14 -0700, "PawsForThought" >
> wrote:
>
> >Weird. I never noticed it was a cat. Are you sure it's a run over
> >cat? It's so small it's hard for me to tell. Barb, to change the
>
> Undoubtedly. Check the icons available in the .exe if you doubt me.
> One of them shows the same cat w/tire tracks.

Are you sure it isn't a hedgehog? or a weasel? or a stoat?

Of course a weasel is weaselly recognizable, but a stoat is stoatly
different.

s97