PDA

View Full Version : Silent clippers

---MIKE---
May 2nd 06, 02:51 PM
I would like to be able to trim Tiger's butt hair. Unfortunately, the
sound of the clippers frightens him and makes the job impossible. Is
there such a thing as a silent clipper? As it is now, I have to take
him to the vet who tranquilizes him to do it.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Juice
May 2nd 06, 03:22 PM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> I would like to be able to trim Tiger's butt hair. Unfortunately, the
> sound of the clippers frightens him and makes the job impossible. Is
> there such a thing as a silent clipper? As it is now, I have to take
> him to the vet who tranquilizes him to do it.

just set him on a heating pad MIKE

Toni
May 2nd 06, 06:21 PM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
I would like to be able to trim Tiger's butt hair. Unfortunately, the
sound of the clippers frightens him and makes the job impossible. Is
there such a thing as a silent clipper? As it is now, I have to take
him to the vet who tranquilizes him to do it.

You could always consider taking him to a groomer and having them show you
how to manage it by yourself. I do this for clients all the time. It's just
a matter of an elizabethan collar and knowing how to hold him.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

Lorna Kemble
May 2nd 06, 07:53 PM
I work in a vets and sometimes we do dematts and basic clipping. I
would love the person who made silent clippers. Sometimes clipping up
for blood samples can stress out the animals too so would be great if
they made silent ones. Sadly I have yet to find them. Buster collars
can help and having help restraining them too but not too tightly as
that can scare them just as much.

sideshowhaas
May 2nd 06, 09:35 PM
I am in the beauty supply industry and have never run across a silent
clipper. Not from Wahl, Oster, Andis, Laube, Forfex, etc, etc, etc. If
you can, try a rechargeable rotary motor clipper. I prefer the Wahl
Omega ($75+/-), holds a charge for about 30 min, can be used with
plastic combs (included), metal combs (3 sizes, not included) and has
detachable blades (I have 1, 3, 5 and 10 mm). If corded I would suggest
the Wahl Dual Velocity ($110+/-) rotary motor. Vibrating and pivot
motors tend to vibrate a lot and, I think, produce more noise. If it's
just a small job, like Tiger's butt hair, try a rotary motor trimmer.

-L.
May 2nd 06, 11:27 PM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> I would like to be able to trim Tiger's butt hair. Unfortunately, the
> sound of the clippers frightens him and makes the job impossible. Is
> there such a thing as a silent clipper? As it is now, I have to take
> him to the vet who tranquilizes him to do it.

Thre are cordless clippers made by Kim Laube that are nearly silent but
they are extremely expensive. My experience is that once a cat needs
sedation for shaves, he usually continues to need sedation, though.

-L.