PDA

View Full Version : Feeding human grade tuna

Kiran
May 3rd 06, 12:42 PM
I occasionally feed her tuna chunks as treats which are greatly
appreciated. I buy tuna packed in water.

My question is: Is it ok to serve tuna in the water it came packed in,
or should the water be discarded?

I ask because I recall hearing different opinions on what to do with
canned people food (which is what this tuna is), about salt and other
cchemicals that may be in the packing fluids etc. As for the taste, my
cat loves that tuna water.

Gail
May 3rd 06, 12:45 PM
I think it's Ok to give the tuna and water occasionally.
Gail
"Kiran" > wrote in message
>I occasionally feed her tuna chunks as treats which are greatly
> appreciated. I buy tuna packed in water.
>
> My question is: Is it ok to serve tuna in the water it came packed in,
> or should the water be discarded?
>
> I ask because I recall hearing different opinions on what to do with
> canned people food (which is what this tuna is), about salt and other
> cchemicals that may be in the packing fluids etc. As for the taste, my
> cat loves that tuna water.

People Pie
May 3rd 06, 05:38 PM
"Kiran" > wrote in message

> I occasionally feed her tuna chunks as treats which are greatly
> appreciated. I buy tuna packed in water.

You cheapskate *******. A few pennies more and you could buy the tuna packed
in olive oil. Classier.

> My question is: Is it ok to serve tuna in the water it came packed in,
> or should the water be discarded?

Discard the tuna.

> I ask because I recall hearing different opinions on what to do with
> canned people food (which is what this tuna is)

Eh?! Are you trying to suggest that the meat inside the "tuna" tins in
question is really human flesh?! You sick ****er!

Yyeah! Ccould bbe ppoisonous, tthat s****!

> that may be in the packing fluids etc. As for the taste, my
> cat loves that tuna water.

A good idea, to save on all those tuna bills, would be to have your cat put
down. Think about it.

Barnabas Collins
May 3rd 06, 06:37 PM
On Wed, 3 May 2006 17:38:17 +0100, "People Pie" >
wrote:

>"Kiran" > wrote in message

>> I occasionally feed her tuna chunks as treats which are greatly
>> appreciated. I buy tuna packed in water.
>>
>You cheapskate *******. A few pennies more and you could buy the tuna packed
>in olive oil. Classier.
Classier.....and tastes like garbage.

I tried tuna in oil and thought I was going to puke.

I usually don't give my cats human tuna. Once a year or
so i'll give it to them as a treat. Also comes in handy
when they won't eat after some medical procudure.

Toni
May 3rd 06, 06:47 PM
"Kiran" > wrote in message
>I occasionally feed her tuna chunks as treats which are greatly
> appreciated. I buy tuna packed in water.

I would keep human tuna to the absolute minimum- if it begins to represent
too much of the cats diet you are risking tha cats developing steatitis
(yellow fat disease).
http://www.connollyac.com/showpracfaq.cfm?FAQID=168&Private=0

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

philo
May 3rd 06, 10:31 PM
Kiran wrote:
> I occasionally feed her tuna chunks as treats which are greatly
> appreciated. I buy tuna packed in water.
>
> My question is: Is it ok to serve tuna in the water it came packed in,
> or should the water be discarded?
>
> I ask because I recall hearing different opinions on what to do with
> canned people food (which is what this tuna is), about salt and other
> cchemicals that may be in the packing fluids etc. As for the taste, my
> cat loves that tuna water.

I've heard the tuna for people has too much salt in it for cats.
I'm not sure if that's true...but I'd *carefully* check the salt content
or consult a vet...

(although I'm sure if you just feed her the tuna occasionally it would
be OK)

Kiran
May 4th 06, 12:33 AM
philo > wrote:

: I've heard the tuna for people has too much salt in it for cats.

It probably has too much salt for humans as well. :)

: (although I'm sure if you just feed her the tuna occasionally it
: would be OK)

Right now it's about 2 cans a month.

Frank Pittel
May 5th 06, 01:39 AM
In rec.pets.cats.health+behav Kiran > wrote:
: I occasionally feed her tuna chunks as treats which are greatly
: appreciated. I buy tuna packed in water.

: My question is: Is it ok to serve tuna in the water it came packed in,
: or should the water be discarded?

: I ask because I recall hearing different opinions on what to do with
: canned people food (which is what this tuna is), about salt and other
: cchemicals that may be in the packing fluids etc. As for the taste, my
: cat loves that tuna water.

I had a cat that came down with FIV. At one point he nearly died when he
stopped eating and drinking. The only food I could get him to eat was tuna
and he would only drink the water in the can. While the vet warned that
tuna intended for humans are good for cats long term. He did agree that
it was better that he eat the tuna then nothing.

I forget exactly why the vet said the tuna was bad for cat, but it had
something to do with the level of minerals in the tuna was bad for cats.
--

-------------------

Barb P
May 5th 06, 01:46 AM
Does tuna have mercury in it? There is something in tuna that eating it in
large quantities can be harmful to pregnant women or something like that.
--

> : My question is: Is it ok to serve tuna in the water it came packed in,
> : or should the water be discarded?
>
> : I ask because I recall hearing different opinions on what to do with
> : canned people food (which is what this tuna is), about salt and other
> : cchemicals that may be in the packing fluids etc. As for the taste, my
> : cat loves that tuna water.
>
> I had a cat that came down with FIV. At one point he nearly died when he
> stopped eating and drinking. The only food I could get him to eat was tuna
> and he would only drink the water in the can. While the vet warned that
> tuna intended for humans are good for cats long term. He did agree that
> it was better that he eat the tuna then nothing.
>
> I forget exactly why the vet said the tuna was bad for cat, but it had
> something to do with the level of minerals in the tuna was bad for cats.
> --
>

> -------------------
> Keep working millions on welfare depend on you

Unknown One
May 5th 06, 03:14 PM
On Thu, 04 May 2006 19:39:23 -0500, Frank Pittel > wrote:

>: I occasionally feed her tuna chunks as treats which are greatly
>: appreciated. I buy tuna packed in water.
>
>: My question is: Is it ok to serve tuna in the water it came packed in,
>: or should the water be discarded?
>
>: I ask because I recall hearing different opinions on what to do with
>: canned people food (which is what this tuna is), about salt and other
>: cchemicals that may be in the packing fluids etc. As for the taste, my
>: cat loves that tuna water.

I give my four babies a small can of tuna a week for the four of them. I asked my vet at
http://vethealthcenter.com/ about it and she said that it would not hurt them as long as
that was all I gave them and they still got their regular cat food which they do.

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Dee
May 5th 06, 05:40 PM
I give mine the water I drain out - about once a month - and it is much
appreciated. :-) I think canned food in general should be viewed as a
treat, not a staple.

dgk
May 5th 06, 07:14 PM
On Fri, 05 May 2006 16:40:17 GMT, "Dee" > wrote:

>I give mine the water I drain out - about once a month - and it is much
>appreciated. :-) I think canned food in general should be viewed as a
>treat, not a staple.

They really love that tuna water. They don't get it often but they
sure lap it up when they do.

Kiran
May 5th 06, 08:49 PM
Dee > wrote:

: II think canned food in general should be viewed as a treat,
: not a staple.

Canned *human* food, sure. I am not sure however that canned *cat* food
should also be viewed as treat, I do use it as staple and if that's
what you meant, I'd like to know why.

mlbriggs
May 6th 06, 01:13 AM
On Thu, 04 May 2006 19:39:23 -0500, Frank Pittel wrote:

> In rec.pets.cats.health+behav Kiran > wrote:
> : I occasionally feed her tuna chunks as treats which are greatly
> : appreciated. I buy tuna packed in water.
>
> : My question is: Is it ok to serve tuna in the water it came packed in,
> : or should the water be discarded?
>
> : I ask because I recall hearing different opinions on what to do with
> : canned people food (which is what this tuna is), about salt and other
> : cchemicals that may be in the packing fluids etc. As for the taste, my
> : cat loves that tuna water.
>
> I had a cat that came down with FIV. At one point he nearly died when he
> stopped eating and drinking. The only food I could get him to eat was tuna
> and he would only drink the water in the can. While the vet warned that
> tuna intended for humans are good for cats long term. He did agree that
> it was better that he eat the tuna then nothing.
>
> I forget exactly why the vet said the tuna was bad for cat, but it had
> something to do with the level of minerals in the tuna was bad for cats.

I fix a tuna sandwich for lunch about once a week. TuTu gets a tuna lunch
that day also. It is her favorite food. She has Iams low cal and Iams
hairball as her regular diet. I also give her a small lunch of Fancy
Feast but she will only eat FF tuna, whitefish w/tuna or chicken w/tuna.
She ignores beef or anything with chunks or gravy. MLB

Grampa Walton
May 6th 06, 08:26 PM
"Barb P" > wrote in
:

> Does tuna have mercury in it? There is something in tuna
> that eating it in large quantities can be harmful to
> pregnant women or something like that.

Hi-
This is where a lot of people get confused, so did I once, so
I did a bunch of research, and here is what I learned.

"Human" tuna has more salt in it than cats should eat, it can
be used like a treat, or even as a meal, but only once in a
while, even though it is about 1/2 the price of premium cat
food, lol, as it can contribute to FUS ( Feline Urological
(sp?) Sydrome ) (Because of the salt) and FUS can kill your
cat in about 24-48 hours.
The tuna in most "Premium" cat food, like Fancy Feast for
example, is "Human" tuna, just without so much added salt.

"Cat" tuna, ie: RED tuna, should not be eaten by anything on
this planet, this is where the mercury comes in. Regular tuna
has mercury in it, but so does almost every fish that comes
from the sea, thank industry for that, but red tuna feeds
differently than other species and its mercury content is so
high it cannot be sold as humen food in most countries of the
world.

Pregnant women should stay away from ocean fish in general,
simply because even the minute quantities of mercury that are
in it won't be absorbed by her, studies have shown it gets
mostly absorbed by the baby instead.
HTH :-)

Kiran
May 7th 06, 06:43 AM
Grampa Walton > wrote:

: I did a bunch of research, and here is what I learned.
:
: "Human" tuna has more salt in it than cats should eat, it can
: be used like a treat, or even as a meal, but only once in a
: while, even though it is about 1/2 the price of premium cat
: food, lol, as it can contribute to FUS ( Feline Urological
: (sp?) Sydrome ) (Because of the salt) and FUS can kill your
: cat in about 24-48 hours.
: The tuna in most "Premium" cat food, like Fancy Feast for
: example, is "Human" tuna, just without so much added salt.
:
: "Cat" tuna, ie: RED tuna, should not be eaten by anything on
: this planet, this is where the mercury comes in...

Thanks. So white "cat" tuna is ok, white "people" tuna is too salty,
and all red tuna is no-no.

Is salt the reason why my cat prefers human tuna to tuna cat food?

Grampa Walton
May 7th 06, 07:25 AM
Kiran > wrote in
:

> Is salt the reason why my cat prefers human tuna to tuna
> cat food?

Your welcome, glad to be of help. :-)
And it could be, some cat's like salt, but I would wager that
its more likely that because you eat the other one, kittie
probably would rather share what mommy has, lol. Mine would
prefer whatever is on MY plate most of the time. Cat tuna also
has other flavors in it too, and people tuna has no "Fish By-
products".(well at least thats what they claim on the side of
the can.......)

Luce Pussť
May 7th 06, 04:27 PM
"Grampa Walton" > wrote in message

> Kiran > wrote in
> :
>
> > Is salt the reason why my cat prefers human tuna to tuna cat food?
> >

> Your welcome, glad to be of help. :-)

Admit it. You just want to get your liver-spotted old mitts into Kiran's
underpants, you old perv!

> And it could be, some cat's like salt, but I would wager that
> its more likely that because you eat the other one, kittie
> probably would rather share what mommy has, lol.

"lol". Heh! And "mommy"! Have you any idea how ridiculous you sound?!

Eeeyuurgh! You disgusting old ****!

> Cat tuna also has other flavors in it too, and people tuna has no
> "Fish By-products".(well at least thats what they claim on the side
> of the can.......)

Stop stalking Kiran, Perv!