PDA

View Full Version : Reoccurring Cat Rash

May 3rd 06, 07:03 PM
Hi...

Our cat has had a reoccurring bumpy, scaly, itchy rash which starts at
her tail and moves up to her neck.

My landlord (who owns the cat) has taken her to the vet 4 different
times. They give her a shot...and the rash starts to go away in a few
days. They also give her some pills (antibiotics?) to put in her food.

The rash recedes to her tail and then....slowly starts to creep up
again.

Now...today...I'm so sad to say she is covered in the rash on the back
from tail to neck.

And it is obviously very uncomfortable for her and making all of us
very sad.

The vet took a biopsy which didn't reveal very much.

The other difficult part of this is that I'm not taking her to the vet
myself and so I get all of this information second hand.

Each trip to the vet costs $200.

They are in the ballpark with their ability to make the rash
recede...but have yet to make it disappear.

I've suggested to my landlord that maybe they should see another vet.

The cat is 13 and my fear is that the landlord is going to get fed up
and say...
Well, maybe it's time for the cat to pass on.

She also has a dry cough that occasionally results in vomiting bile.

That issue seems to recede when the rash does...so maybe it is
connected to the rash?

In other respects...she is healthy and happy and has complete mobility,
etc.

Does her condition sound familiar?

Please share with me any advice or thoughts you may have.

She is my landlord's cat but one of my best friends.

Thank you!

-todd

Toni
May 3rd 06, 07:41 PM
> wrote in message >
> Does her condition sound familiar?
>
> Please share with me any advice or thoughts you may have.
>
> She is my landlord's cat but one of my best friends.

Is the cat an indoor cat, outdoor cat, or both?

I ask only because the pattern of the rash being only on the top part of her
body really suggests some sort of contact dermatitis from her repeatedly
rubbing the area while scooting under something. Like a bush, or plant, or
car, etc?

Of course it could be any one of 100 things, but many animals show this wear
pattern just from going under sofas, so it isn't too much of a stretch to
think she might be rubbing underneath something that is provoking a reaction
in her skin.

Just a thought!

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

May 3rd 06, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the response, Toni.

She is an indoor cat.

And she's been living in the same places and running around
the same spaces for most of her life.

This rash (or whatever it is) has only manifested in the past year.

Thanks again,

-todd

Anna via CatKB.com
May 4th 06, 12:05 AM
>I've suggested to my landlord that maybe they should see another vet.

Yes, that's a good idea. She may also be allergic to whatever she is eating
and may need a different food.

>She also has a dry cough that occasionally results in vomiting bile.

At 13 years old, she needs to have a blood profile done. That will reveal
anything going on inside such as kidney disease, diabetes, etc.

Rhonda
May 4th 06, 05:32 AM
Did the vet say what he/she thought it was?

If it's ringworm, it takes very aggressive treatment to get rid of it.
One way to tell if it's ringworm is for the vet to look at it under a
black light.

I would try another vet for a second opinion. It shouldn't cost $200
every visit either.

Good luck,

Rhonda