PDA

View Full Version : Cat lost a tooth

Cal
May 4th 06, 12:04 AM
Hi.

My 12yr old had to have his upper right canine removed. When he came
home we feed him moist food for about a week, but then slowly put him
back on hard food. Since losing the tooth he is now cutting his upper
lip with his lower canine.

Is there any solution? I don't want him to have to lose another tooth,
but his cut is bad. He is a big boy so his teeth are big.

Thanks

Toni
May 4th 06, 01:05 AM
"Cal" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi.
>
> My 12yr old had to have his upper right canine removed. When he came
> home we feed him moist food for about a week, but then slowly put him
> back on hard food. Since losing the tooth he is now cutting his upper
> lip with his lower canine.
>
> Is there any solution? I don't want him to have to lose another tooth,
> but his cut is bad. He is a big boy so his teeth are big.

I have seen dogs with their canine teeth filed down- usually due to biting
issues, but perhaps a consult with a veterinary dentist is in order?

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

Rhonda
May 4th 06, 05:35 AM
We've had two different cats with a canine removed. One is just fine but
the other had an occasional bump on his lip from the other tooth
rubbing. It never really cut the lip, though.

I wonder if the vet could file it a bit -- maybe it's chipped and has a
sharper point?

I agree you might mention it to the vet.

Rhonda

Cal wrote:

> Hi.
>
> My 12yr old had to have his upper right canine removed. When he came
> home we feed him moist food for about a week, but then slowly put him
> back on hard food. Since losing the tooth he is now cutting his upper
> lip with his lower canine.
>
> Is there any solution? I don't want him to have to lose another tooth,
> but his cut is bad. He is a big boy so his teeth are big.
>
> Thanks

Lorna Kemble
May 5th 06, 03:31 PM
You should mention it to the vet, it will take a bit of getting used to
for him to have the tooth missing also. I have known cats do fine with
no canines! But if he is getting a cut since the one has gone missing
you should see if your vet can do anything.