PDA

View Full Version : Cat Urine: best cleanup solution and cause for serious cat urine?

RadioMeow
May 6th 06, 02:07 AM
Hello everyone,

What have all of you discovered as a good solution or product for
cleaning up cat urine? I'd like to hear your recommendations and
especially any home remedies you've come up with.

If you have any tips on getting the stuff out of carpet or yarn that
would be a bonus.

Finally, what causes serious cat urine? Is it diet or a health related
(or both)? If you have any web site links or good search terms to help
with my research, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Robert
http://www.radiomeow.com/
The Cat Lovers Web Radio Show

Judy
May 6th 06, 03:25 AM
"RadioMeow" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello everyone,
>
> What have all of you discovered as a good solution or product for
> cleaning up cat urine? I'd like to hear your recommendations and
> especially any home remedies you've come up with.
>
> If you have any tips on getting the stuff out of carpet or yarn that
> would be a bonus.
>
> Finally, what causes serious cat urine? Is it diet or a health related
> (or both)? If you have any web site links or good search terms to help
> with my research, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
> Robert
> http://www.radiomeow.com/
> The Cat Lovers Web Radio Show

If you have a serious cat urine problem, you should give your vet a call.

Anna via CatKB.com
May 6th 06, 03:46 AM
>What have all of you discovered as a good solution or product for
>cleaning up cat urine? I'd like to hear your recommendations and
>especially any home remedies you've come up with.

You need to rid the area of the odor, not just the stain. Go to Walmart of a
pet store and find a product that is made to get out urine odor or the cat
will return to that area again and again.

>Finally, what causes serious cat urine? Is it diet or a health related
>(or both)? If you have any web site links or good search terms to help
>with my research, I'd appreciate it.

Has your cat started urinating outside his box? This could mean he has a
urinary tract infection. He associates the litter box with pain and avoids
it. If this is the case, take him to your vet ASAP for a urine sample to be
drawn. An untreated UTI can result in a blockage if left untreated
(emergency situation). If it is not a medical problem, it may be because the
box is not clean enough, or not in a quiet enough place, or has a cover and
he doesn't like a cover, or he's urinated somewhere on the floor once and
then was drawn to it over and over because of the smell.

May 6th 06, 05:12 AM
"RadioMeow" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello everyone,
>
> What have all of you discovered as a good solution or product for
> cleaning up cat urine?

>http://tinyurl.com/koaso

May 6th 06, 05:14 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "RadioMeow" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > What have all of you discovered as a good solution or product for
> > cleaning up cat urine?

or, better:

http://tinyurl.com/koaso

-L.
May 6th 06, 06:30 AM
RadioMeow wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

>From an old post:

"As for cleaning - I do not recommend the enzymatic cleaners as they
simply do not work well enough - the urine scent is retained and the
cat will pee again to cover it up. There are three products I do
recommend (from an old post):

***paste
I recommend ODOKLEEN cleaner to remove any vomit, urine or feces (it
requires lots of rinsing, though - a wet vac works wonders for this),
and then treating the area with ODOKILL or NODOR to remove the odor.
I have yet to find an odor which is not removed using NODOR. ODOKLEEN
and ODOKILL are available through pet supply stores. NODOR is made by
Nu-Scents in Knoxville, TN, USA. They are a very small company and do
not ship outside of NA. Their product can be ordered in the US by
credit card by calling 1*(800)*262*9366. They ship via UPS. They are
very nice people. NODOR will kill male cat spray smell.

***end paste

Do not use Lysol or Pinesol cleaners as they contain phenolics which
are deadly to cats - they cause liver damage. "

-L.

RadioMeow
May 6th 06, 02:02 PM
Anna,

It's not for my cat. I've started doing a podcast for cat lovers and
I'm going to talk about this subject in my next podcast. Glad you
entered this thread. I didn't know about CatKb.com until you did. I
just took a look at your site and I really like it.

Is FLUTD the usual cause for serious cat urine? I haven't see anyone
on this thread mention diet so far.

Robert
http://www.radiomeow.com/
The Cat Lovers Web Radio Show

RadioMeow
May 6th 06, 02:04 PM
-L.,

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Robert
http://www.radiomeow.com/
The Cat Lovers Web Radio Show

Anna via CatKB.com
May 6th 06, 11:47 PM
>It's not for my cat. I've started doing a podcast for cat lovers and
>I'm going to talk about this subject in my next podcast. Glad you

Oh; Interesting.

>Is FLUTD the usual cause for serious cat urine? I haven't see anyone
>on this thread mention diet so far.

There's also diabetes and kidney disease - both of these conditions can cause
excess urination.

As for diet, if the cat is eating only canned food there may be more
urination due to the higher water content in the food.

RadioMeow
May 8th 06, 02:33 PM
Anna,

> There's also diabetes and kidney disease - both of these conditions can cause
excess urination.

Well that's a scary thought, and to go see the vet every time the cat
urinates a little excessively could get expensive. Are there any other
symptoms that would make you decide that a vet visit was a definitely
must to rule out a serious disease?

BTW, the voting feature on your CatKB.com site for each search result
is very cool. Kudos!

Thanks,
Robert
http://www.RadioMeow.com/

Anna via CatKB.com
May 8th 06, 06:11 PM
>Well that's a scary thought, and to go see the vet every time the cat
>urinates a little excessively could get expensive. Are there any other
>symptoms that would make you decide that a vet visit was a definitely
>must to rule out a serious disease?

For a bladder infection, you *might* see blood in urine (not always),
straining in the litter box, meowing in the box, urinating in other places
than the box, going back and forth to the box continually and voiding small
amounts.

For diabetes, you may notice the cat drink more, have a change in appetite,
have weight loss, poor coat condition, and might be lethargic.

For kidney disease, you may notice the cat drink more, eat less than usual,
have weight loss, vomit, have poor coat condition, be lethargic and have very
bad breath or gingevitis.

Another condition that can cause excessive urination is hyperthyroidism. The
cat may eat and drink more than usual, have weight loss, vomit and have
diarreah and have an unkempt looking coat.

Even cancer can cause changes in urination.

That's why it's a good idea to contact the vet whenever it's noticed that
something is different about the cat's usual habits.

Brian Link
May 9th 06, 03:11 AM
On 5 May 2006 18:07:49 -0700, "RadioMeow" >
wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>What have all of you discovered as a good solution or product for
>cleaning up cat urine? I'd like to hear your recommendations and
>especially any home remedies you've come up with.
>
>If you have any tips on getting the stuff out of carpet or yarn that
>would be a bonus.
>
>Finally, what causes serious cat urine? Is it diet or a health related
>(or both)? If you have any web site links or good search terms to help
>with my research, I'd appreciate it.
>
>Thanks,
>Robert
>http://www.radiomeow.com/
>The Cat Lovers Web Radio Show

Our best solution so far has been a product called "Anti-Icky-Poo". I
think Megan suggested it initially. The label boasts its utility in
cleaning up all sorts of smells, including "Dead Bodies". Hence my
wife and I casually referring to it as "Dead Body Spray".

BLink
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"