PDA

View Full Version : Taking kitty camping

Char
May 7th 06, 07:20 PM
I have a dilema.
I want to go camping this year for a few days at a time but am concerned
with leaving my cat at home by herself while I am away. My place gets hot
during the summer and I can't really leave the windows open wide enough for
it to be any benefit to cooling the air in the house.

SO..I could take her with me, but where I go camping it's in the deep forest
high up in the tree line.
There is a small chance of bears, cougars ect. coming in to camp.
Also, would this be just a stresser to her to come with me instead of
staying at home.
The house isnt SO hot that she would get sick, but it's hot enough to make
me feel really uncomfortable without opening the windows.
Shes great on a leash, I have used one on her all her life. Shes been an
indoor kitty with yard privileges only if I am outside with her and she
cannot leave the grass area of my yard.

Anyone out there bring your cats camping?
What advise would you give or what have been your experiences?
Leave her at home or bring her with me?

thanks,
Char

Toni
May 7th 06, 07:37 PM
"Char" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Anyone out there bring your cats camping?
> What advise would you give or what have been your experiences?
> Leave her at home or bring her with me?

Maybe it's just me, but I think taking a cat camping is a really bad idea.

Have a petsitter come to your house 2-3 times a day.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

Joe Canuck
May 7th 06, 07:59 PM
Char wrote:

> I have a dilema.

Many of us do. :-)

> I want to go camping this year for a few days at a time but am concerned
> with leaving my cat at home by herself while I am away. My place gets hot
> during the summer and I can't really leave the windows open wide enough for
> it to be any benefit to cooling the air in the house.
>
> SO..I could take her with me, but where I go camping it's in the deep forest
> high up in the tree line.
> There is a small chance of bears, cougars ect. coming in to camp.
> Also, would this be just a stresser to her to come with me instead of
> staying at home.
> The house isnt SO hot that she would get sick, but it's hot enough to make
> me feel really uncomfortable without opening the windows.
> Shes great on a leash, I have used one on her all her life. Shes been an
> indoor kitty with yard privileges only if I am outside with her and she
> cannot leave the grass area of my yard.
>
> Anyone out there bring your cats camping?
> What advise would you give or what have been your experiences?
> Leave her at home or bring her with me?
>
> thanks,
> Char

You didn't mention how long this camping trip will be.

Whether it will be a stressor depends on how your cat reacts to new
surroundings. Do you know how your cat reacts to being left at home alone?

Will you be camping in a tent or is there a building?

Years ago I used to bring a cat to a remote northern cottage I had on a
lake. The cat disliked the 10 mile boat ride with the motor roaring and
the boat bouncing about depending on the wave conditions. Once there and
inside the building everything was fine... it was just the trip up and
back that was troublesome.

I'd consider leaving her at home and having someone check on her while
there. I don't imagine you are going to all the trouble to get to this
location for only a couple of days.

cybercat
May 7th 06, 08:17 PM
"Char" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have a dilema.

Char, do you know someone you could trust to keep her for you? Maybe your
Mom or a sister or best friend? I think you will worry yourself sick over
her if you leave her or if you take her camping.

Lorna Kemble
May 7th 06, 08:32 PM
It's best to either have someone come to your house a few times a day
to check she is ok, or can someone look after your cat for you whilst
you are away? Friend or put her in cattery.

May 7th 06, 08:37 PM
"Char" > wrote:

>Anyone out there bring your cats camping?
>What advise would you give or what have been your experiences?
>Leave her at home or bring her with me?

If your cat ever gets loose and wanders off you will never see it
again. It doesn't know the camp site is home, plus it may just hide
even from you if it is scared.

Bears aren't your only problem - owls are a bigger likelihood of a
threat.

-m

Gail
May 7th 06, 08:56 PM
Leave her home where she will be safe.
Gail
"Char" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have a dilema.
> I want to go camping this year for a few days at a time but am concerned
> with leaving my cat at home by herself while I am away. My place gets hot
> during the summer and I can't really leave the windows open wide enough
> for
> it to be any benefit to cooling the air in the house.
>
> SO..I could take her with me, but where I go camping it's in the deep
> forest
> high up in the tree line.
> There is a small chance of bears, cougars ect. coming in to camp.
> Also, would this be just a stresser to her to come with me instead of
> staying at home.
> The house isnt SO hot that she would get sick, but it's hot enough to make
> me feel really uncomfortable without opening the windows.
> Shes great on a leash, I have used one on her all her life. Shes been an
> indoor kitty with yard privileges only if I am outside with her and she
> cannot leave the grass area of my yard.
>
> Anyone out there bring your cats camping?
> What advise would you give or what have been your experiences?
> Leave her at home or bring her with me?
>
> thanks,
> Char

Joe Canuck
May 7th 06, 08:59 PM
Lorna Kemble wrote:
> It's best to either have someone come to your house a few times a day
> to check she is ok, or can someone look after your cat for you whilst
> you are away? Friend or put her in cattery.

A definite NO to the cattery.

Having someone check in on the cat in your home means that cat at least
gets to stay in familiar surroundings.

Rhonda
May 7th 06, 09:04 PM
Hmmmm, since you can't leave her home because of the heat -- I like the
idea of finding a friend or someone she could stay with.

I know someone who took a cat camping but they had a small RV so the cat
was completely safe. I don't think I'd trust a cat in a tent. I also
know people who have taken rabbits camping, but stayed right with them
while they were in a big, fenced puppy pen.

I know cougars are attracted to small animals too, that would be a real
worry with a cat on a leash.

If you have to take her, I'd almost be inclined to sleep in the car with
her. That wouldn't really be fun for anyone.

Rhonda

Char wrote:

> I have a dilema.
> I want to go camping this year for a few days at a time but am concerned
> with leaving my cat at home by herself while I am away. My place gets hot
> during the summer and I can't really leave the windows open wide enough for
> it to be any benefit to cooling the air in the house.
>
> SO..I could take her with me, but where I go camping it's in the deep forest
> high up in the tree line.
> There is a small chance of bears, cougars ect. coming in to camp.
> Also, would this be just a stresser to her to come with me instead of
> staying at home.
> The house isnt SO hot that she would get sick, but it's hot enough to make
> me feel really uncomfortable without opening the windows.
> Shes great on a leash, I have used one on her all her life. Shes been an
> indoor kitty with yard privileges only if I am outside with her and she
> cannot leave the grass area of my yard.
>
> Anyone out there bring your cats camping?
> What advise would you give or what have been your experiences?
> Leave her at home or bring her with me?
>
> thanks,
> Char

Rhonda
May 7th 06, 09:08 PM
Joe Canuck wrote:

> Lorna Kemble wrote:
>
>> It's best to either have someone come to your house a few times a day
>> to check she is ok, or can someone look after your cat for you whilst
>> you are away? Friend or put her in cattery.
>>

> A definite NO to the cattery.
>
> Having someone check in on the cat in your home means that cat at least
> gets to stay in familiar surroundings.

She said her house is too hot for the cat when she's gone. I wouldn't
keep a cat alone in a boiling house.

Rhonda

Joe Canuck
May 7th 06, 09:42 PM
Rhonda wrote:
> Joe Canuck wrote:
>
>> Lorna Kemble wrote:
>>
>>> It's best to either have someone come to your house a few times a day
>>> to check she is ok, or can someone look after your cat for you whilst
>>> you are away? Friend or put her in cattery.
>>>

>> A definite NO to the cattery.
>>
>> Having someone check in on the cat in your home means that cat at
>> least gets to stay in familiar surroundings.
>
> She said her house is too hot for the cat when she's gone. I wouldn't
> keep a cat alone in a boiling house.
>
> Rhonda

It doesn't need to be hot with someone checking in on a regular basis.

rrb
May 7th 06, 10:13 PM
Char wrote:
> I have a dilema.
> I want to go camping this year for a few days at a time but am concerned
> with leaving my cat at home by herself while I am away. My place gets hot
> during the summer and I can't really leave the windows open wide enough for
> it to be any benefit to cooling the air in the house.
>
> SO..I could take her with me, but where I go camping it's in the deep forest
> high up in the tree line.
> There is a small chance of bears, cougars ect. coming in to camp.
> Also, would this be just a stresser to her to come with me instead of
> staying at home.
> The house isnt SO hot that she would get sick, but it's hot enough to make
> me feel really uncomfortable without opening the windows.
> Shes great on a leash, I have used one on her all her life. Shes been an
> indoor kitty with yard privileges only if I am outside with her and she
> cannot leave the grass area of my yard.
>
> Anyone out there bring your cats camping?
> What advise would you give or what have been your experiences?
> Leave her at home or bring her with me?
>
> thanks,
> Char

How hot is hot? It shouldn't be too hot that a couple of fans placed
such that they blow against a chair wouldn't be able to provide some
reliief from the heat. Cats will seek out a hot or cool spot as needed.
With plenty of water there shouldn't be a problem for your cat for a few
days.

As for the camping with the cat I recommend against it for several reasons:

1. Depending on your cats reaction to new things she would most likely
be stressed and freaked out.
2. Unless you keep her in a cage or in a harness under control 24 hours
a day she will most likely escape.
3. Keeping her constrained as in #2 will increase her stress and discomfort.
4. With bears and other wildlife around it is best to leave her at home.
Bears in particular are attracted to food scents and other odors.
Keeping a cat, along with a litter box, and her food will most likely
attract them to you in they come in the camp.

All in all I would recommend leaving her at home with plenty of water
and food. Place a few fans as I mentioned above to give her a place to
escape the heat. Have someone trusted come in and check on her once a day.

rrb

\kls\
May 7th 06, 10:48 PM
Why a definite NO to the cattery?

I'm intrigued as I have found a lovely one with big chalets and outdoor run
access, heated beds, closed up at night etc. My baby is very safe, very
looked after and has toys, regular feeding with every diet catered for.
They will take them to the Vet if anything is wrong and give them individual
loving attention.

Peace of mind (if you find the right cattery).

K.

"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
> Lorna Kemble wrote:
>> It's best to either have someone come to your house a few times a day
>> to check she is ok, or can someone look after your cat for you whilst
>> you are away? Friend or put her in cattery.
>>

> A definite NO to the cattery.
>
> Having someone check in on the cat in your home means that cat at least
> gets to stay in familiar surroundings.

MaryL
May 7th 06, 11:50 PM
"Char" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have a dilema.
> I want to go camping this year for a few days at a time but am concerned
> with leaving my cat at home by herself while I am away. My place gets hot
> during the summer and I can't really leave the windows open wide enough
> for
> it to be any benefit to cooling the air in the house.
>
> SO..I could take her with me, but where I go camping it's in the deep
> forest
> high up in the tree line.
> There is a small chance of bears, cougars ect. coming in to camp.
> Also, would this be just a stresser to her to come with me instead of
> staying at home.
> The house isnt SO hot that she would get sick, but it's hot enough to make
> me feel really uncomfortable without opening the windows.
> Shes great on a leash, I have used one on her all her life. Shes been an
> indoor kitty with yard privileges only if I am outside with her and she
> cannot leave the grass area of my yard.
>
> Anyone out there bring your cats camping?
> What advise would you give or what have been your experiences?
> Leave her at home or bring her with me?
>
> thanks,
> Char

I definitely would not take my cats on a camping trip -- too much stress and
too many dangers there for a little kitty. However, I also would not simply
take off and leave my cats alone. In fact, I will soon be leaving on
vacation. I leave the air conditioner turned on (although at a higher level
than when I am home), and I have a *very trustworthy* pet sitter who comes
in twice a day. She feeds the cats, puts out fresh water, scoops litter,
plays with them, and also does extra things like bring in mail and papers.
The cats are much safer that way -- and much more content, I think, because
they remain in their normal environment.

MaryL

cybercat
May 7th 06, 11:58 PM
""kls"" > wrote in message
> Why a definite NO to the cattery?

Joe had a HORRIBLE experience with a boarding place.
Which does not mean they are all like that, but I cannot blame
him for not recommending the use of one.

May 7th 06, 11:59 PM
"Char" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have a dilema.
> I want to go camping this year for a few days at a time but am concerned
> with leaving my cat at home by herself while I am away. My place gets hot
> during the summer and I can't really leave the windows open wide enough
for
> it to be any benefit to cooling the air in the house.

So you have no air conditioning?

Char
May 8th 06, 12:14 AM
Camping trip will be only a weekend, its not far from here. The wilderness
is only 20 mins away. :)
She doesnt react to strangers well. Hissy fit..lol
I'll be camping in my van, sleeping on a foamy.
Thats why I am worried about it.
I'm sorta leaning on the keep her home. I don't have a mom/dad/brother/sis
to watch her and am going with the friend who would feed her ect.
I think she would be ok for a day and half, no longer on her own. It would
drive me bananas worrying about her any longer. I'll have to find someone to
check her. Shes a one person type cat and has a hissy fit with other people.
With me, shes a limp puddle of love! funny how that is huh?

"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
> Char wrote:
>
> > I have a dilema.
>
> Many of us do. :-) <<<(LOL! how true)
>
> > I want to go camping this year for a few days at a time but am concerned
> > with leaving my cat at home by herself while I am away. My place gets
hot
> > during the summer and I can't really leave the windows open wide enough
for
> > it to be any benefit to cooling the air in the house.
> >
> > SO..I could take her with me, but where I go camping it's in the deep
forest
> > high up in the tree line.
> > There is a small chance of bears, cougars ect. coming in to camp.
> > Also, would this be just a stresser to her to come with me instead of
> > staying at home.
> > The house isnt SO hot that she would get sick, but it's hot enough to
make
> > me feel really uncomfortable without opening the windows.
> > Shes great on a leash, I have used one on her all her life. Shes been an
> > indoor kitty with yard privileges only if I am outside with her and she
> > cannot leave the grass area of my yard.
> >
> > Anyone out there bring your cats camping?
> > What advise would you give or what have been your experiences?
> > Leave her at home or bring her with me?
> >
> > thanks,
> > Char
> >

> You didn't mention how long this camping trip will be.
>
> Whether it will be a stressor depends on how your cat reacts to new
> surroundings. Do you know how your cat reacts to being left at home alone?
>
> Will you be camping in a tent or is there a building?
>
> Years ago I used to bring a cat to a remote northern cottage I had on a
> lake. The cat disliked the 10 mile boat ride with the motor roaring and
> the boat bouncing about depending on the wave conditions. Once there and
> inside the building everything was fine... it was just the trip up and
> back that was troublesome.
>
> I'd consider leaving her at home and having someone check on her while
> there. I don't imagine you are going to all the trouble to get to this
> location for only a couple of days.

Char
May 8th 06, 12:15 AM
yes I would worry, dont have family to watch her so I'll have to find
another way I guess.

Shes my family, thats why I wanted to take her, but the more I think about
it..seems like a bad idea

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Char" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > I have a dilema.
>

> Char, do you know someone you could trust to keep her for you? Maybe your
> Mom or a sister or best friend? I think you will worry yourself sick over
> her if you leave her or if you take her camping.
>

> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

Char
May 8th 06, 12:17 AM
ya..theres a cattery here, a good one, but I think it would stress her even
more to be gone from home and not have me with her..I have spoiled her
rotten with love and attention.

"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
> Lorna Kemble wrote:
> > It's best to either have someone come to your house a few times a day
> > to check she is ok, or can someone look after your cat for you whilst
> > you are away? Friend or put her in cattery.
> >

> A definite NO to the cattery.
>
> Having someone check in on the cat in your home means that cat at least
> gets to stay in familiar surroundings.

Char
May 8th 06, 12:26 AM
Humm...ya..Owls..I never thought of that. Jeez..they are everywhere...I had
one come and hunt in the trees in my front yard for two years in a row. It
would sit on the power lines at the end of my driveway at night and scare
the sleeping birds in the trees. I found dead birds on my grass many
times..which sort of confused me..don't they eat them right away? I had
Ebony outside at dusk with me too and it would be there on the lines, I
didnt know at the time that owls kill cats..shes about 16 lbs though..LOL!
Still, it could do alot of damage by the time I got to her.
I dont let her outside with me after dusk anymore.
She crys at the door pathetically but eventually stops.

> wrote in message
> "Char" > wrote:
>
> >Anyone out there bring your cats camping?
> >What advise would you give or what have been your experiences?
> >Leave her at home or bring her with me?
>
> If your cat ever gets loose and wanders off you will never see it
> again. It doesn't know the camp site is home, plus it may just hide
> even from you if it is scared.
>
> Bears aren't your only problem - owls are a bigger likelihood of a
> threat.
>
> -m

Char
May 8th 06, 12:26 AM
No A/C
not that lucky

"Brandy Alexandre" > wrote in message
> Char > wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>
> > I have a dilema.
> > I want to go camping this year for a few days at a time but am
> > concerned with leaving my cat at home by herself while I am away.
> > My place gets hot during the summer and I can't really leave the
> > windows open wide enough for it to be any benefit to cooling the
> > air in the house.
> >
> > SO..I could take her with me, but where I go camping it's in the
> > deep forest high up in the tree line.
> > There is a small chance of bears, cougars ect. coming in to camp.
> > Also, would this be just a stresser to her to come with me instead
> > of staying at home.
> > The house isnt SO hot that she would get sick, but it's hot enough
> > to make me feel really uncomfortable without opening the windows.
> > Shes great on a leash, I have used one on her all her life. Shes
> > been an indoor kitty with yard privileges only if I am outside
> > with her and she cannot leave the grass area of my yard.
> >
> > Anyone out there bring your cats camping?
> > What advise would you give or what have been your experiences?
> > Leave her at home or bring her with me?
> >
> > thanks,
> > Char
> >

> When I was young we took out cats camping. Stake them outside like you
> would dogs, brought them in the tent at night. But you have to be
> careful because of ticks and such. Any reason why you can't set a max
> temp on the a/c? When I'm gone during the day I have the a/c set for
> 80 because that's the most Kami can deal with comfortably (she can have
> cooler in the bathroom or bedroom closet).
>
> --
> Brandy Alexandre
>
> --Everything tastes better with cat hair in it. =^.^=

Char
May 8th 06, 12:31 AM
She'd be in my van with me sleeping.
But during the day I would have her leashed...but I have almost made my mind
up not to take her.
I think I'll get a friend to come over and keep the windows open during the
day with a stick in them.

I havent gone camping for years cause I never wanted to leave her alone.
I've had her for 12 years.
A person I just met ( new neighbour) offered to go camping with me, her and
her kids would be good company and so I told her I would.

"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Hmmmm, since you can't leave her home because of the heat -- I like the
> idea of finding a friend or someone she could stay with.
>
> I know someone who took a cat camping but they had a small RV so the cat
> was completely safe. I don't think I'd trust a cat in a tent. I also
> know people who have taken rabbits camping, but stayed right with them
> while they were in a big, fenced puppy pen.
>
> I know cougars are attracted to small animals too, that would be a real
> worry with a cat on a leash.
>
> If you have to take her, I'd almost be inclined to sleep in the car with
> her. That wouldn't really be fun for anyone.
>
> Rhonda
>
> Char wrote:
>
> > I have a dilema.
> > I want to go camping this year for a few days at a time but am concerned
> > with leaving my cat at home by herself while I am away. My place gets
hot
> > during the summer and I can't really leave the windows open wide enough
for
> > it to be any benefit to cooling the air in the house.
> >
> > SO..I could take her with me, but where I go camping it's in the deep
forest
> > high up in the tree line.
> > There is a small chance of bears, cougars ect. coming in to camp.
> > Also, would this be just a stresser to her to come with me instead of
> > staying at home.
> > The house isnt SO hot that she would get sick, but it's hot enough to
make
> > me feel really uncomfortable without opening the windows.
> > Shes great on a leash, I have used one on her all her life. Shes been an
> > indoor kitty with yard privileges only if I am outside with her and she
> > cannot leave the grass area of my yard.
> >
> > Anyone out there bring your cats camping?
> > What advise would you give or what have been your experiences?
> > Leave her at home or bring her with me?
> >
> > thanks,
> > Char

Char
May 8th 06, 12:36 AM
Thats a perfect situation for sure!
If I had someone to trust, I wouldnt have this problem..LOL
I'll have to find someone. I won't go unless I find someone to watch her and
come to the house everyday.
Yup..I just made my mind up, NOT taking her.
Awesome advise and opinions from everyone!
A million thank-yous.
Char

news:[email protected]

> "Char" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >I have a dilema.
> > I want to go camping this year for a few days at a time but am concerned
> > with leaving my cat at home by herself while I am away. My place gets
hot
> > during the summer and I can't really leave the windows open wide enough
> > for
> > it to be any benefit to cooling the air in the house.
> >
> > SO..I could take her with me, but where I go camping it's in the deep
> > forest
> > high up in the tree line.
> > There is a small chance of bears, cougars ect. coming in to camp.
> > Also, would this be just a stresser to her to come with me instead of
> > staying at home.
> > The house isnt SO hot that she would get sick, but it's hot enough to
make
> > me feel really uncomfortable without opening the windows.
> > Shes great on a leash, I have used one on her all her life. Shes been an
> > indoor kitty with yard privileges only if I am outside with her and she
> > cannot leave the grass area of my yard.
> >
> > Anyone out there bring your cats camping?
> > What advise would you give or what have been your experiences?
> > Leave her at home or bring her with me?
> >
> > thanks,
> > Char
> >

> I definitely would not take my cats on a camping trip -- too much stress
and
> too many dangers there for a little kitty. However, I also would not
simply
> take off and leave my cats alone. In fact, I will soon be leaving on
> vacation. I leave the air conditioner turned on (although at a higher
level
> than when I am home), and I have a *very trustworthy* pet sitter who comes
> in twice a day. She feeds the cats, puts out fresh water, scoops litter,
> plays with them, and also does extra things like bring in mail and papers.
> The cats are much safer that way -- and much more content, I think,
because
> they remain in their normal environment.
>
> MaryL

Rhonda
May 8th 06, 12:39 AM
Char wrote:

> No A/C
> not that lucky

We don't have A/C either. Not many do in this part of the country, but
there are a few weeks a year when it's a full-time job keeping all of us
cool.

Good luck with kitty,

Rhonda

Joe Canuck
May 8th 06, 12:43 AM
"kls" wrote:
> Why a definite NO to the cattery?

1) You never know what sort of things the cat may pickup there,
particularly if they are allowed to be in the same spots as other cats.

2) This place isn't the cat's home, so there will be some stress... it
won't be a night at the "Waldorf".

3) Is it really a good place? How do you know that they don't leave the
cat inside the carrier you transport him/her there in until just before
your scheduled return back?

Yes, there are some good places... but one must find the right one.

> I'm intrigued as I have found a lovely one with big chalets and outdoor run
> access, heated beds, closed up at night etc. My baby is very safe, very
> looked after and has toys, regular feeding with every diet catered for.
> They will take them to the Vet if anything is wrong and give them individual
> loving attention.
>
> Peace of mind (if you find the right cattery).
>
> K.
>

> "Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
>> Lorna Kemble wrote:
>>> It's best to either have someone come to your house a few times a day
>>> to check she is ok, or can someone look after your cat for you whilst
>>> you are away? Friend or put her in cattery.
>>>
>> A definite NO to the cattery.
>>
>> Having someone check in on the cat in your home means that cat at least
>> gets to stay in familiar surroundings.

Joe Canuck
May 8th 06, 12:44 AM
Char wrote:
> Thats a perfect situation for sure!
> If I had someone to trust, I wouldnt have this problem..LOL
> I'll have to find someone. I won't go unless I find someone to watch her and
> come to the house everyday.
> Yup..I just made my mind up, NOT taking her.
> Awesome advise and opinions from everyone!
> A million thank-yous.
> Char

This is actually the mind control group. :-D

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> "Char" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> I have a dilema.
>>> I want to go camping this year for a few days at a time but am concerned
>>> with leaving my cat at home by herself while I am away. My place gets
> hot
>>> during the summer and I can't really leave the windows open wide enough
>>> for
>>> it to be any benefit to cooling the air in the house.
>>>
>>> SO..I could take her with me, but where I go camping it's in the deep
>>> forest
>>> high up in the tree line.
>>> There is a small chance of bears, cougars ect. coming in to camp.
>>> Also, would this be just a stresser to her to come with me instead of
>>> staying at home.
>>> The house isnt SO hot that she would get sick, but it's hot enough to
> make
>>> me feel really uncomfortable without opening the windows.
>>> Shes great on a leash, I have used one on her all her life. Shes been an
>>> indoor kitty with yard privileges only if I am outside with her and she
>>> cannot leave the grass area of my yard.
>>>
>>> Anyone out there bring your cats camping?
>>> What advise would you give or what have been your experiences?
>>> Leave her at home or bring her with me?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Char
>>>

>> I definitely would not take my cats on a camping trip -- too much stress
> and
>> too many dangers there for a little kitty. However, I also would not
> simply
>> take off and leave my cats alone. In fact, I will soon be leaving on
>> vacation. I leave the air conditioner turned on (although at a higher
> level
>> than when I am home), and I have a *very trustworthy* pet sitter who comes
>> in twice a day. She feeds the cats, puts out fresh water, scoops litter,
>> plays with them, and also does extra things like bring in mail and papers.
>> The cats are much safer that way -- and much more content, I think,
> because
>> they remain in their normal environment.
>>
>> MaryL

Char
May 8th 06, 01:11 AM
LOL....thats my cats job. She knows it well. Has me wrapped around her
widdle paws.

"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
> Char wrote:
> > Thats a perfect situation for sure!
> > If I had someone to trust, I wouldnt have this problem..LOL
> > I'll have to find someone. I won't go unless I find someone to watch her
and
> > come to the house everyday.
> > Yup..I just made my mind up, NOT taking her.
> > Awesome advise and opinions from everyone!
> > A million thank-yous.
> > Char
> >

> This is actually the mind control group. :-D
>

> > "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> >> "Char" > wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]
> > hot

> > make

> >> I definitely would not take my cats on a camping trip -- too much
stress
> > and
> >> too many dangers there for a little kitty. However, I also would not
> > simply
> >> take off and leave my cats alone. In fact, I will soon be leaving on
> >> vacation. I leave the air conditioner turned on (although at a higher
> > level
> >> than when I am home), and I have a *very trustworthy* pet sitter who
comes
> >> in twice a day. She feeds the cats, puts out fresh water, scoops
litter,
> >> plays with them, and also does extra things like bring in mail and
papers.
> >> The cats are much safer that way -- and much more content, I think,
> > because
> >> they remain in their normal environment.
> >>
> >> MaryL

MaryL
May 8th 06, 01:23 AM
Char,

You need someone who is *very* reliable (as I am sure you know), both for
your kitties and for your house. I first used this pet sitter 3 years ago.
I obtained a number of references by calling a friend who has a large number
of cats (rescue) and sometimes needs a pet sitter. Then I called some
people at the local university who use a pet sitter. As it turned out,
*all* mentioned this same person. So, I called her and made arrangements to
meet her. I later learned that she also called around and checked *me* out.
Well, she is just as wonderful as everyone said, and she has been my pet
sitter ever since. She comes to the house a couple of days before I plan to
leave to go over the full list of items with me (food, water, emergency
phone numbers, veterinarian, etc., and also to be come reacquainted with my
kitties).

Ask friends if they can recommend anyone, also check with vets and possibly
with pet supply stores. Be sure to leave a printed list with specific
instructions in case of emergency.

And have a great time on vacation!

MaryL

"Char" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Thats a perfect situation for sure!
> If I had someone to trust, I wouldnt have this problem..LOL
> I'll have to find someone. I won't go unless I find someone to watch her
> and
> come to the house everyday.
> Yup..I just made my mind up, NOT taking her.
> Awesome advise and opinions from everyone!
> A million thank-yous.
> Char
>

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "Char" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>> >I have a dilema.
>> > I want to go camping this year for a few days at a time but am
>> > concerned
>> > with leaving my cat at home by herself while I am away. My place gets
> hot
>> > during the summer and I can't really leave the windows open wide enough
>> > for
>> > it to be any benefit to cooling the air in the house.
>> >
>> > SO..I could take her with me, but where I go camping it's in the deep
>> > forest
>> > high up in the tree line.
>> > There is a small chance of bears, cougars ect. coming in to camp.
>> > Also, would this be just a stresser to her to come with me instead of
>> > staying at home.
>> > The house isnt SO hot that she would get sick, but it's hot enough to
> make
>> > me feel really uncomfortable without opening the windows.
>> > Shes great on a leash, I have used one on her all her life. Shes been
>> > an
>> > indoor kitty with yard privileges only if I am outside with her and she
>> > cannot leave the grass area of my yard.
>> >
>> > Anyone out there bring your cats camping?
>> > What advise would you give or what have been your experiences?
>> > Leave her at home or bring her with me?
>> >
>> > thanks,
>> > Char
>> >

>> I definitely would not take my cats on a camping trip -- too much stress
> and
>> too many dangers there for a little kitty. However, I also would not
> simply
>> take off and leave my cats alone. In fact, I will soon be leaving on
>> vacation. I leave the air conditioner turned on (although at a higher
> level
>> than when I am home), and I have a *very trustworthy* pet sitter who
>> comes
>> in twice a day. She feeds the cats, puts out fresh water, scoops litter,
>> plays with them, and also does extra things like bring in mail and
>> papers.
>> The cats are much safer that way -- and much more content, I think,
> because
>> they remain in their normal environment.
>>
>> MaryL

lastcatstanding
May 8th 06, 02:31 AM
On Sun, 07 May 2006 14:13:19 -0700, rrb > wrote:

>Char wrote:
>> I have a dilema.
>> I want to go camping this year for a few days at a time but am concerned
>> with leaving my cat at home by herself while I am away. My place gets hot
>> during the summer and I can't really leave the windows open wide enough for
>> it to be any benefit to cooling the air in the house.
>>
>> SO..I could take her with me, but where I go camping it's in the deep forest
>> high up in the tree line.
>> There is a small chance of bears, cougars ect. coming in to camp.
>> Also, would this be just a stresser to her to come with me instead of
>> staying at home.
>> The house isnt SO hot that she would get sick, but it's hot enough to make
>> me feel really uncomfortable without opening the windows.
>> Shes great on a leash, I have used one on her all her life. Shes been an
>> indoor kitty with yard privileges only if I am outside with her and she
>> cannot leave the grass area of my yard.
>>
>> Anyone out there bring your cats camping?
>> What advise would you give or what have been your experiences?
>> Leave her at home or bring her with me?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Char
>>

>How hot is hot? It shouldn't be too hot that a couple of fans placed
>such that they blow against a chair wouldn't be able to provide some
>reliief from the heat. Cats will seek out a hot or cool spot as needed.
>With plenty of water there shouldn't be a problem for your cat for a few
>days.
>
>As for the camping with the cat I recommend against it for several reasons:
>
>1. Depending on your cats reaction to new things she would most likely
>be stressed and freaked out.
>2. Unless you keep her in a cage or in a harness under control 24 hours
>a day she will most likely escape.
>3. Keeping her constrained as in #2 will increase her stress and discomfort.
>4. With bears and other wildlife around it is best to leave her at home.
>Bears in particular are attracted to food scents and other odors.
>Keeping a cat, along with a litter box, and her food will most likely
>attract them to you in they come in the camp.
>
>All in all I would recommend leaving her at home with plenty of water
>and food. Place a few fans as I mentioned above to give her a place to
>escape the heat. Have someone trusted come in and check on her once a day.
>
>rrb

Rob?

rrb
May 8th 06, 02:39 AM
lastcatstanding wrote:
> On Sun, 07 May 2006 14:13:19 -0700, rrb > wrote:
>
>> Char wrote:
>>> I have a dilema.
>>> I want to go camping this year for a few days at a time but am concerned
>>> with leaving my cat at home by herself while I am away. My place gets hot
>>> during the summer and I can't really leave the windows open wide enough for
>>> it to be any benefit to cooling the air in the house.
>>>
>>> SO..I could take her with me, but where I go camping it's in the deep forest
>>> high up in the tree line.
>>> There is a small chance of bears, cougars ect. coming in to camp.
>>> Also, would this be just a stresser to her to come with me instead of
>>> staying at home.
>>> The house isnt SO hot that she would get sick, but it's hot enough to make
>>> me feel really uncomfortable without opening the windows.
>>> Shes great on a leash, I have used one on her all her life. Shes been an
>>> indoor kitty with yard privileges only if I am outside with her and she
>>> cannot leave the grass area of my yard.
>>>
>>> Anyone out there bring your cats camping?
>>> What advise would you give or what have been your experiences?
>>> Leave her at home or bring her with me?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Char
>>>

>> How hot is hot? It shouldn't be too hot that a couple of fans placed
>> such that they blow against a chair wouldn't be able to provide some
>> reliief from the heat. Cats will seek out a hot or cool spot as needed.
>> With plenty of water there shouldn't be a problem for your cat for a few
>> days.
>>
>> As for the camping with the cat I recommend against it for several reasons:
>>
>> 1. Depending on your cats reaction to new things she would most likely
>> be stressed and freaked out.
>> 2. Unless you keep her in a cage or in a harness under control 24 hours
>> a day she will most likely escape.
>> 3. Keeping her constrained as in #2 will increase her stress and discomfort.
>> 4. With bears and other wildlife around it is best to leave her at home.
>> Bears in particular are attracted to food scents and other odors.
>> Keeping a cat, along with a litter box, and her food will most likely
>> attract them to you in they come in the camp.
>>
>> All in all I would recommend leaving her at home with plenty of water
>> and food. Place a few fans as I mentioned above to give her a place to
>> escape the heat. Have someone trusted come in and check on her once a day.
>>
>> rrb
>
> Rob?

rrb
May 8th 06, 02:40 AM
lastcatstanding wrote:
> On Sun, 07 May 2006 14:13:19 -0700, rrb > wrote:
>
>> All in all I would recommend leaving her at home with plenty of water
>> and food. Place a few fans as I mentioned above to give her a place to
>> escape the heat. Have someone trusted come in and check on her once a day.
>>
>> rrb
>
> Rob?

uh, no. You have something to add to this thread - other than quoting
everything to add a one word response?

lastcatstanding
May 8th 06, 02:42 AM
On Sun, 07 May 2006 18:39:33 -0700, rrb > wrote:

>lastcatstanding wrote:

>>> How hot is hot? It shouldn't be too hot that a couple of fans placed
>>> such that they blow against a chair wouldn't be able to provide some
>>> reliief from the heat. Cats will seek out a hot or cool spot as needed.
>>> With plenty of water there shouldn't be a problem for your cat for a few
>>> days.
>>>
>>> As for the camping with the cat I recommend against it for several reasons:
>>>
>>> 1. Depending on your cats reaction to new things she would most likely
>>> be stressed and freaked out.
>>> 2. Unless you keep her in a cage or in a harness under control 24 hours
>>> a day she will most likely escape.
>>> 3. Keeping her constrained as in #2 will increase her stress and discomfort.
>>> 4. With bears and other wildlife around it is best to leave her at home.
>>> Bears in particular are attracted to food scents and other odors.
>>> Keeping a cat, along with a litter box, and her food will most likely
>>> attract them to you in they come in the camp.
>>>
>>> All in all I would recommend leaving her at home with plenty of water
>>> and food. Place a few fans as I mentioned above to give her a place to
>>> escape the heat. Have someone trusted come in and check on her once a day.
>>>
>>> rrb
>>
>> Rob?
Well?

lastcatstanding
May 8th 06, 02:43 AM
On Sun, 07 May 2006 18:40:14 -0700, rrb > wrote:

>lastcatstanding wrote:
>> On Sun, 07 May 2006 14:13:19 -0700, rrb > wrote:
>>
>>> All in all I would recommend leaving her at home with plenty of water
>>> and food. Place a few fans as I mentioned above to give her a place to
>>> escape the heat. Have someone trusted come in and check on her once a day.
>>>
>>> rrb
>>
>> Rob?
>
>uh, no. You have something to add to this thread - other than quoting
>everything to add a one word response?

Ya don't have to be a prick about it. Run along before I take your
candy away.

rrb
May 8th 06, 02:53 AM
lastcatstanding wrote:
> On Sun, 07 May 2006 18:40:14 -0700, rrb > wrote:
>
>> lastcatstanding wrote:

>>> Rob?
>> uh, no. You have something to add to this thread - other than quoting
>> everything to add a one word response?
>
> <SNIP>

Again I ask anything useful to add to this thread? If not FOAD.

rrb
May 8th 06, 02:55 AM
lastcatstanding wrote:

<SNIP>

It's not my fault you are too ignorant to realize I am not this Rob
person you are inquiring about.

laurie w
May 8th 06, 03:01 AM
We take our cats camping,
www.richandlaurie.com
has pics,

just keep the harness on them at all times,
make sure the area is secure, be EXTREMELY cautious opening and closing
areas where kitty is at.

Try out a few short drives in your area, to see how kitty travels...

never leave kitty unattended unless kitty is locked in the car/van.

one way to do that is to have a duplicate set of keys, and leave vehicle
running, and locked.
only good for very short periods.

also there are wire 'cages' that are big enough for the kitty and a
litter box,
we are considering one for our cats... the cat would actually be much
safter in the car in such a cage.

sure it restricts the stuff you can do, but kitties CAN camp :)

GL - let us know how it works out, whichever way you decide :)

news:[email protected]

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Char" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > I have a dilema.
>

> Char, do you know someone you could trust to keep her for you? Maybe
> your
> Mom or a sister or best friend? I think you will worry yourself sick
> over
> her if you leave her or if you take her camping.
>

> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

Ryan Robbins
May 8th 06, 03:09 AM
"Char" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> The house isnt SO hot that she would get sick, but it's hot enough to make
> me feel really uncomfortable without opening the windows.

Why doesn't she get sick when you're home and it's hot?

lastcatstanding
May 8th 06, 03:29 AM
On Sun, 07 May 2006 18:53:58 -0700, rrb > wrote:

>lastcatstanding wrote:

>>> uh, no. You have something to add to this thread - other than quoting
>>> everything to add a one word response?
>>
>> <SNIP>
>
> Again I ask anything useful to add to this thread? If not FOAD.

Yes I do, I was showing the world how you can dance at the drop of a
peanut.

lastcatstanding
May 8th 06, 03:30 AM
On Sun, 07 May 2006 18:55:37 -0700, rrb > wrote:

>lastcatstanding wrote:
>
><SNIP>
>

>It's not my fault you are too ignorant to realize I am not this Rob
>person you are inquiring about.

It's not my fault you are foaming and dancing just to try and make
some worthless point.

May 8th 06, 04:35 AM
"Char" > wrote:

> I >didnt know at the time that owls kill cats..shes about 16 lbs though.

Several years back in a Canadian city called Stratford, ON they found
a decapitated swan by the river that runs through town (its a park).
At first it was assumed to be a cult killing or the work of a sicko
but a lab determined it was killed by an owl.

Cher (the singer) witnessed her own cat carried away by an owl right
in front of her.

-m

Char
May 8th 06, 06:56 AM
*GASP!*

> wrote in message
> "Char" > wrote:
>
> > I >didnt know at the time that owls kill cats..shes about 16 lbs though.
>
> Several years back in a Canadian city called Stratford, ON they found
> a decapitated swan by the river that runs through town (its a park).
> At first it was assumed to be a cult killing or the work of a sicko
> but a lab determined it was killed by an owl.
>
> Cher (the singer) witnessed her own cat carried away by an owl right
> in front of her.
>
> -m

Char
May 8th 06, 07:11 AM
Because I have my doors and windows open when I am at home, and she is
outside with me in the shade laying in the grass.
When I am not home, I have to go to work.. the place is closed up and gets
hot inside, I can leave the windows open a little, but not very much.
I dont live in a large place, so it doesnt take long to get stuffy.

I dont leave fans running either as I have seen them get over heated and
cause fires with other people.
She usually goes under the bed to stay cool at those times.
Shes never been sick or shown to be uncomfortable...but then I have never
left her for more than a few hours.
If I leave for more than a few days I have someone coming to check on her or
she goes to a cat hotel.
The cat hotels here are FAB! 30.00 a day though. SO...that would be my last
choice when camping for a weekend. She would be stressed leaving the house
anyways.
I have decided to keep her home and not take her, but I am going to make
sure someone comes and cools the house down everyday.
Its only a weekend..I guess I am just a worry wart.
The owl story spooked me...lol ..there is generous amounts of wildlife
including many species of owls here..and FLOCKS of eagles! They fly over
the islands here 50 at a time riding the updrafts. No exagerration. Its an
awesome site to behold.
Last year I counted more than 50 flying up and diving down to the tree line
and up again for about an hour.
I hear they can get a taste for kitties too.

"Ryan Robbins" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Char" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > The house isnt SO hot that she would get sick, but it's hot enough to
make
> > me feel really uncomfortable without opening the windows.
>
> Why doesn't she get sick when you're home and it's hot?

Matthew aka NMR
May 8th 06, 07:27 AM
How much would your vet charge to hold on to him

Maybe a window fan installed and the window locked down but keep the fan off
and its vent opened to help with circulation.

They do make battery operated fans

"Char" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Because I have my doors and windows open when I am at home, and she is
> outside with me in the shade laying in the grass.
> When I am not home, I have to go to work.. the place is closed up and gets
> hot inside, I can leave the windows open a little, but not very much.
> I dont live in a large place, so it doesnt take long to get stuffy.
>
> I dont leave fans running either as I have seen them get over heated and
> cause fires with other people.
> She usually goes under the bed to stay cool at those times.
> Shes never been sick or shown to be uncomfortable...but then I have never
> left her for more than a few hours.
> If I leave for more than a few days I have someone coming to check on her
> or
> she goes to a cat hotel.
> The cat hotels here are FAB! 30.00 a day though. SO...that would be my
> last
> choice when camping for a weekend. She would be stressed leaving the house
> anyways.
> I have decided to keep her home and not take her, but I am going to make
> sure someone comes and cools the house down everyday.
> Its only a weekend..I guess I am just a worry wart.
> The owl story spooked me...lol ..there is generous amounts of wildlife
> including many species of owls here..and FLOCKS of eagles! They fly over
> the islands here 50 at a time riding the updrafts. No exagerration. Its
> an
> awesome site to behold.
> Last year I counted more than 50 flying up and diving down to the tree
> line
> and up again for about an hour.
> I hear they can get a taste for kitties too.
>

> "Ryan Robbins" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "Char" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>> > The house isnt SO hot that she would get sick, but it's hot enough to
> make
>> > me feel really uncomfortable without opening the windows.
>>
>> Why doesn't she get sick when you're home and it's hot?

Alison
May 8th 06, 05:56 PM
"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message

> A definite NO to the cattery.>>>

Why?
Alison

Joe Canuck
May 8th 06, 06:17 PM
Alison wrote:
> "Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
>> A definite NO to the cattery.>>>
>

> Why?
> Alison

Because it can be like a box of chocolates... you never know what you
will get with a cattery. And sometimes that can be taken literally given
the number of animals that must go through those places.

I had a horrid experience with one that is documented in the archives of
this group.

Can you imagine an 18 pound cat being confined in a carrier for 3 days
solid? Enough room to turn around, but not enough room to stand up. It
took her a few days to recover and a few more days for my anger over the
issue to subside.

The *only* reason I discovered this abuse is because I returned home
much earlier than originally planned. The owners at the cattery were not
expected me for another few days. So, if you return as scheduled things
may appear normal... but who knows what the animal went through. I'm
sure they would have bathed mine and had her in a regular cage on the
day I was originally scheduled to have returned.