PDA

View Full Version : Fishers

---MIKE---
May 8th 06, 01:10 AM
When discussing the dangers to outside cats, fishers have been mentioned
as a dangerous predator. I know they are found in my locality. This
year's issue of the Old Farmer's Almanac has an article about them
complete with a picture.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Matthew aka NMR
May 8th 06, 07:09 AM
Mike most people are probably scratching their head about that one most will
think you are talking about the bird. Most don't know what it is
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
When discussing the dangers to outside cats, fishers have been mentioned
as a dangerous predator. I know they are found in my locality. This
year's issue of the Old Farmer's Almanac has an article about them
complete with a picture.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

---MIKE---
May 8th 06, 01:38 PM
Matthew wrote:

>Mike most people are probably
> scratching their head about that one
> most will think you are talking about the
> bird. Most don't know what it is

The fisher is sometimes called a "fisher cat". It is a small predator
with gigantic claws. It can take down a porcupine easily. Cats are
another favorite "meal". About six years ago I lost IKE. He
disappeared during the day and I suspect it was a fisher. Amber and
Tiger stay in the house.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Anna via CatKB.com
May 8th 06, 06:47 PM
>When discussing the dangers to outside cats, fishers have been mentioned
>as a dangerous predator. I know they are found in my locality. This
>year's issue of the Old Farmer's Almanac has an article about them
>complete with a picture.

Apparently they live in Canada and the northern part of North America. I
know we definitely have them where I live in Canada, including foxes and
black bears (both of which I've seen in my yard), wolves, lynxes, bobcats,
etc. Good thing my guys don't run free! Sometimes when I'm walking them
outside in the yard, I feel a bit nervous in case some animal shows up; so
far, it's only been a neighbour's dog once and he was easily scared off when
I clapped my hands and yelled at him, but a wild animal? Yikes!

Matthew aka NMR
May 8th 06, 06:51 PM
I thought Florida was bad Florida panthers, foxes, alligators, sal****er
crocodiles, golden hawks, bobcats, osprey hawks, black bears, tourist and
old folks

"Anna via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> >When discussing the dangers to outside cats, fishers have been mentioned
>>as a dangerous predator. I know they are found in my locality. This
>>year's issue of the Old Farmer's Almanac has an article about them
>>complete with a picture.
>
> Apparently they live in Canada and the northern part of North America. I
> know we definitely have them where I live in Canada, including foxes and
> black bears (both of which I've seen in my yard), wolves, lynxes,
> bobcats,
> etc. Good thing my guys don't run free! Sometimes when I'm walking them
> outside in the yard, I feel a bit nervous in case some animal shows up; so
> far, it's only been a neighbour's dog once and he was easily scared off
> when
> I clapped my hands and yelled at him, but a wild animal? Yikes!

Joe Canuck
May 8th 06, 06:56 PM
Anna via CatKB.com wrote:
>> When discussing the dangers to outside cats, fishers have been mentioned
>> as a dangerous predator. I know they are found in my locality. This
>> year's issue of the Old Farmer's Almanac has an article about them
>> complete with a picture.
>
> Apparently they live in Canada and the northern part of North America. I
> know we definitely have them where I live in Canada, including foxes and
> black bears (both of which I've seen in my yard), wolves, lynxes, bobcats,
> etc. Good thing my guys don't run free! Sometimes when I'm walking them
> outside in the yard, I feel a bit nervous in case some animal shows up; so
> far, it's only been a neighbour's dog once and he was easily scared off when
> I clapped my hands and yelled at him, but a wild animal? Yikes!

I have seen bobcats, porcupines, chipmunks, squirrels, snakes, moose,
bear, beavers, raccoons, mice, fox and assorted birds (some rather
large) at the cottage in northern Canada.

Anna via CatKB.com
May 9th 06, 08:36 PM
>I thought Florida was bad Florida panthers, foxes, alligators, sal****er
>crocodiles, golden hawks, bobcats, osprey hawks, black bears

Thank god I don't have alligators & crocodiles! I heard they come right up
to your house in Florida. We have owls and hawks too; we have the Great
Horned and Great Grey among others but those are the huge ones. A Great
Horned picked up a 4 pound Yorkie terrier here in Canada but the owner ran
out and grabbed it from his talons. As both of these have been seen about a
block from my house, I keep an eye on my little 6 pounder when I'm out with
her. They probably wouldn't do anything with a human around though (crosses
fingers).

>tourist and old folks

LOL. Yea, I heard you get a lot of pasty white, old, sometimes scary looking
(in their bathing suits) Canadians vacationing down there; sorry about that.

Anna via CatKB.com
May 9th 06, 08:58 PM
>I have seen bobcats, porcupines, chipmunks, squirrels, snakes, moose,
>bear, beavers, raccoons, mice, fox and assorted birds (some rather
>large) at the cottage in northern Canada.

Yup, it's a menagerie around here. We have deer too in our yard eating out
of the bird feeders but we don't mind those since they're harmless. Even the
foxes would run out of the yard if a human came out. It's the bears that
freak me out. DH heard a noise behind him in the yard once, turned around
and there was one right behind him; luckily, it just ran off which they'll do
almost all of the time. Our neighbour still had birdseed out (it was summer)
and he came by for a meal. But every once in awhile, you hear of one
attacking. A guy was almost attacked recently out walking in the bushes
around here. He had his dog with him and it scared it off but the guy got
some slashes on his belly first. Maybe it just had babies and he was getting
close to where they were maybe he startled him, who knows. Scary though.

Ellie Bentley
May 10th 06, 12:09 AM
Anna via CatKB.com wrote:
> >I have seen bobcats, porcupines, chipmunks, squirrels, snakes, moose,
> >bear, beavers, raccoons, mice, fox and assorted birds (some rather
> >large) at the cottage in northern Canada.
> Yup, it's a menagerie around here. We have deer too in our yard eating out
> of the bird feeders but we don't mind those since they're harmless.

Here in Mid-Wales (UK) we only have a few humans, a few foxes, and some
badgers to look out for - unless a farmer lets his dog run loose now and
again. In fact, the only "fearful" situation for our cats when they're
out (which is only during the day) is the Annual Hunt that happens early
on Boxing Day. Suddenly, 30 bloody-thirsty hounds run amuck wherever
they choose, followed by men in Landrovers/Jeeps with guns. But nothing
at all in comparison to what you're describing in the wilds of Canada.
Sounds like exciting countryside!

Ellie.

May 10th 06, 03:12 AM
> >I thought Florida was bad Florida panthers, foxes, alligators, sal****er
> >crocodiles, golden hawks, bobcats, osprey hawks, black bears
>
> Thank god I don't have alligators & crocodiles! I heard they come right up
> to your house in Florida. We have owls and hawks too; we have the Great
> Horned and Great Grey among others but those are the huge ones. A Great
> Horned picked up a 4 pound Yorkie terrier here in Canada but the owner ran
> out and grabbed it from his talons. As both of these have been seen about a
> block from my house, I keep an eye on my little 6 pounder when I'm out with
> her. They probably wouldn't do anything with a human around though (crosses
> fingers).
>
> >tourist and old folks
>
> LOL. Yea, I heard you get a lot of pasty white, old, sometimes scary looking
> (in their bathing suits) Canadians vacationing down there; sorry about that.

Recently various types of hawks and eagles have begun nesting in the
area. This happens when food supply is ample and the fish are returning
to the Providence river, and then of course there are the rodents that
are in abundant supply. There was a Red Tailed hawk pair nesting at the
top of the Bank of America tower.

Occasionally a wolf, fox or coyote will make its way into the city but
it's rare.

Other than that, no seriously dangerous animals here in RI.