PDA

View Full Version : Hardest Day of my Life

Rockinghorse Winner
May 8th 06, 09:32 AM
Last saturday, I had to put down my companion and friend of 15 years,
Henry. He developed advanced kidney failure. Symptoms began on Monday
and by Thursday he wasn't eating or drinking. Henry was the mildest,
most retiring cat. He ran from anyone or any animal except for his
person (me). Although he was a beautiful cat, he was very modest, and
never sought the spotlight but on the contrary, preferred not to be
seen by anyone other than me. He was a lover not a fighter, and hated
all forms of confrontation with man or animal. He had a hesitant,
barely audible miaw, that he exercised when he was excited, usually
when he was hungry or just in a jolly mood.

I got him from someone giving away kittens out of a cardboard box in
front of the supermarket. He was the only male in the litter, and the
only orange one. He was all by himself, and didn't seem to want to
have anything to do with his sisters. This aloofness is a trait he kept
throughout his life, and made us two peas in a pod. When I lay down to
sleep, he would position himself just above me on the bed, close enough
to let me pet him, but never touching -- that would have been TOO close
for him, ha, ha.

Just last month, when he was still healthy, I said to him, Henry, when
you want to go (by go, I meant ease out of life), you go ahead, don't
worry about me, I'll be alright. And I stroked him gently like he
always enjoyed. He chose my two days off from work to start getting
ill (coincidence? I don't think so). He was so brave and noble
throughout, and never became ornery or difficult. He retained his
gentle spirit and was as accomodating to the vet, assistants and
everyone as you could want. I think he knew just what he was doing.

Henry, you were the best, and I will remember you my whole life for
giving me the greatest gift of all -- my humanity. I will always
retain that, and will pass it along. Your life was significant, baby,
and it will have it's effect, sweety. It will have it's effect. Good
bye, good buddy. See ya later.

Love, your friend, Lee

http://www.sonic.net/~lkokot/henry/

country_cinderella
May 8th 06, 10:44 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I have had the difficult task of
watching a treasured pet/friend pass and I know it is a painful goodbye. I
am glad that Henry and you were able to be together at the end so that you
could say your final goodbye's.

country_cinderella

"Rockinghorse Winner" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Last saturday, I had to put down my companion and friend of 15 years,
> Henry. He developed advanced kidney failure. Symptoms began on Monday
> and by Thursday he wasn't eating or drinking. Henry was the mildest,
> most retiring cat. He ran from anyone or any animal except for his
> person (me). Although he was a beautiful cat, he was very modest, and
> never sought the spotlight but on the contrary, preferred not to be
> seen by anyone other than me. He was a lover not a fighter, and hated
> all forms of confrontation with man or animal. He had a hesitant,
> barely audible miaw, that he exercised when he was excited, usually
> when he was hungry or just in a jolly mood.
>
> I got him from someone giving away kittens out of a cardboard box in
> front of the supermarket. He was the only male in the litter, and the
> only orange one. He was all by himself, and didn't seem to want to
> have anything to do with his sisters. This aloofness is a trait he kept
> throughout his life, and made us two peas in a pod. When I lay down to
> sleep, he would position himself just above me on the bed, close enough
> to let me pet him, but never touching -- that would have been TOO close
> for him, ha, ha.
>
> Just last month, when he was still healthy, I said to him, Henry, when
> you want to go (by go, I meant ease out of life), you go ahead, don't
> worry about me, I'll be alright. And I stroked him gently like he
> always enjoyed. He chose my two days off from work to start getting
> ill (coincidence? I don't think so). He was so brave and noble
> throughout, and never became ornery or difficult. He retained his
> gentle spirit and was as accomodating to the vet, assistants and
> everyone as you could want. I think he knew just what he was doing.
>
> Henry, you were the best, and I will remember you my whole life for
> giving me the greatest gift of all -- my humanity. I will always
> retain that, and will pass it along. Your life was significant, baby,
> and it will have it's effect, sweety. It will have it's effect. Good
> bye, good buddy. See ya later.
>
> Love, your friend, Lee
>
> http://www.sonic.net/~lkokot/henry/

Michael Lane
May 8th 06, 12:34 PM
Last saturday, I had to put down my companion and friend of 15 years,
Henry. He developed advanced kidney failure.
---------------------------------------

Here is a klink of the glass to Henry. There is nothing harder to suffer
thru than losing a loyal pet. My sincere condolences.

Michael Lane

" Say what you want and be who you are,
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind. "
Dr. Seuss

May 8th 06, 02:01 PM
Im so sorry to hear about Henry.My thoughts are with you.

Kiran
May 8th 06, 03:08 PM
Rockinghorse Winner > wrote:

: Last saturday, I had to put down my companion and friend of
: 15 years, Henry...

My thougth and prayers are with you and Henry.

Paraphrasing a Hindu thought, if someone loaned us something precious
and let us keep it for a long time, we'd not complain when he finally
needs it himself and asks it back one day; we'd return it with
gratitude for the favor shown. Now that God wanted Henry back, return
him with no complaints and all the due gratitude.

So as not to feel all alone in this, read someone else's very similar
experience expressed in a touching poem:

http://www.thetuxedocat.com/about.php?mark=01

Also, think about your already scheduled reunion with Henry at the
Rainbow Bridge:

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

-K

Kiran
May 8th 06, 03:25 PM
Rockinghorse Winner > wrote:

: Last saturday, I had to put down my companion and friend of
: 15 years, Henry...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Henry.

Paraphrasing a Hindu thought, if someone loaned us something precious
and let us keep it for a long time, we'd not complain when he finally
needs it himself and asks it back one day; we'd return it with
gratitude for the favor shown. Now that God wanted Henry back, return
him with no complaints and all the due gratitude.

So as not to feel all alone in this, read someone else's very similar
experience expressed in a touching poem:

http://www.thetuxedocat.com/about.php?mark=01

Also, think about your already scheduled reunion with Henry at the
Rainbow Bridge:

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

-K

May 8th 06, 03:56 PM
Henry sounds like a wonderful cat (aren't they all?). You were so lucky
to have him for 15 years. You'll see him again.

cybercat
May 8th 06, 04:56 PM
"Rockinghorse Winner" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Last saturday, I had to put down my companion and friend of 15 years,
> Henry. He developed advanced kidney failure. Symptoms began on Monday
> and by Thursday he wasn't eating or drinking. Henry was the mildest,
> most retiring cat. He ran from anyone or any animal except for his
> person (me). Although he was a beautiful cat, he was very modest, and
> never sought the spotlight but on the contrary, preferred not to be
> seen by anyone other than me. He was a lover not a fighter, and hated
> all forms of confrontation with man or animal. He had a hesitant,
> barely audible miaw, that he exercised when he was excited, usually
> when he was hungry or just in a jolly mood.
>
> I got him from someone giving away kittens out of a cardboard box in
> front of the supermarket. He was the only male in the litter, and the
> only orange one. He was all by himself, and didn't seem to want to
> have anything to do with his sisters. This aloofness is a trait he kept
> throughout his life, and made us two peas in a pod. When I lay down to
> sleep, he would position himself just above me on the bed, close enough
> to let me pet him, but never touching -- that would have been TOO close
> for him, ha, ha.
>
> Just last month, when he was still healthy, I said to him, Henry, when
> you want to go (by go, I meant ease out of life), you go ahead, don't
> worry about me, I'll be alright. And I stroked him gently like he
> always enjoyed. He chose my two days off from work to start getting
> ill (coincidence? I don't think so). He was so brave and noble
> throughout, and never became ornery or difficult. He retained his
> gentle spirit and was as accomodating to the vet, assistants and
> everyone as you could want. I think he knew just what he was doing.
>
> Henry, you were the best, and I will remember you my whole life for
> giving me the greatest gift of all -- my humanity. I will always
> retain that, and will pass it along. Your life was significant, baby,
> and it will have it's effect, sweety. It will have it's effect. Good
> bye, good buddy. See ya later.
>
> Love, your friend, Lee
>
> http://www.sonic.net/~lkokot/henry/

Henry sounds just wonderful and from your pictures was just the kind
of big orange tabby boy I have always wanted. From your description,
it is clear that you two were meant to be together. I know that feeling--
I still feel like someone sent my little Gracie to me, that we were sent
to each other, for similar reasons. I am very sorry for your loss. Thank
you for sharing Henry with us.

Barb
May 8th 06, 06:10 PM
So sorry you had to lose Henry. You were lucky to have had each other.
Fifteen years is how old my last 2 cats were when they died and I know how
you feel.

Read what the poster says about the rainbows edge. Sometimes I just try to
hold that thought.

Love,
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

cybercat
May 8th 06, 06:52 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Henry sounds like a wonderful cat (aren't they all?).

You know, all cats are not created equal! I just have to say this, because
in my experience it is true. I had for 20 years a cat that I adored--my
first cat. After she died I adopted a 2-year-old former feral female who had
been caught pregnant and socialized at a great no-kill shelter.

I learned that my first cat really did not like people, was really dumb in
cat terms, and was mean, too. (Partly my fault as I had her declawed like an
idiot.) It was my new cat Gracie who proved this, because she is so smart,
and so polite, and so affectionate she seeks me out for petting and wants to
snuggle like a child. It ocurrs to me that it is a good thing I got Gracie
last and my other cat first--imagine if I had gotten the wonderful cat first
and then the one that was not so wonderful. As it is, I adored my first cat.
I just did not know any better!

So ... I do think they are all different. (And I do take you point that each
of us usually thinks ours is the best!)

Gail
May 9th 06, 01:39 AM
He was beautiful. I'm very sorry for your loss.
Gail
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Rockinghorse Winner" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Last saturday, I had to put down my companion and friend of 15 years,
>> Henry. He developed advanced kidney failure. Symptoms began on Monday
>> and by Thursday he wasn't eating or drinking. Henry was the mildest,
>> most retiring cat. He ran from anyone or any animal except for his
>> person (me). Although he was a beautiful cat, he was very modest, and
>> never sought the spotlight but on the contrary, preferred not to be
>> seen by anyone other than me. He was a lover not a fighter, and hated
>> all forms of confrontation with man or animal. He had a hesitant,
>> barely audible miaw, that he exercised when he was excited, usually
>> when he was hungry or just in a jolly mood.
>>
>> I got him from someone giving away kittens out of a cardboard box in
>> front of the supermarket. He was the only male in the litter, and the
>> only orange one. He was all by himself, and didn't seem to want to
>> have anything to do with his sisters. This aloofness is a trait he kept
>> throughout his life, and made us two peas in a pod. When I lay down to
>> sleep, he would position himself just above me on the bed, close enough
>> to let me pet him, but never touching -- that would have been TOO close
>> for him, ha, ha.
>>
>> Just last month, when he was still healthy, I said to him, Henry, when
>> you want to go (by go, I meant ease out of life), you go ahead, don't
>> worry about me, I'll be alright. And I stroked him gently like he
>> always enjoyed. He chose my two days off from work to start getting
>> ill (coincidence? I don't think so). He was so brave and noble
>> throughout, and never became ornery or difficult. He retained his
>> gentle spirit and was as accomodating to the vet, assistants and
>> everyone as you could want. I think he knew just what he was doing.
>>
>> Henry, you were the best, and I will remember you my whole life for
>> giving me the greatest gift of all -- my humanity. I will always
>> retain that, and will pass it along. Your life was significant, baby,
>> and it will have it's effect, sweety. It will have it's effect. Good
>> bye, good buddy. See ya later.
>>
>> Love, your friend, Lee
>>
>> http://www.sonic.net/~lkokot/henry/
>>

> Henry sounds just wonderful and from your pictures was just the kind
> of big orange tabby boy I have always wanted. From your description,
> it is clear that you two were meant to be together. I know that feeling--
> I still feel like someone sent my little Gracie to me, that we were sent
> to each other, for similar reasons. I am very sorry for your loss. Thank
> you for sharing Henry with us.
>

> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
> http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

mlbriggs
May 9th 06, 01:50 AM
On Tue, 09 May 2006 00:39:47 +0000, Gail wrote:

> He was beautiful. I'm very sorry for your loss.
> Gail
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Rockinghorse Winner" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> Last saturday, I had to put down my companion and friend of 15 years,
>>> Henry. He developed advanced kidney failure. Symptoms began on Monday
>>> and by Thursday he wasn't eating or drinking. Henry was the mildest,
>>> most retiring cat. He ran from anyone or any animal except for his
>>> person (me). Although he was a beautiful cat, he was very modest, and
>>> never sought the spotlight but on the contrary, preferred not to be
>>> seen by anyone other than me. He was a lover not a fighter, and hated
>>> all forms of confrontation with man or animal. He had a hesitant,
>>> barely audible miaw, that he exercised when he was excited, usually
>>> when he was hungry or just in a jolly mood.
>>>
>>> I got him from someone giving away kittens out of a cardboard box in
>>> front of the supermarket. He was the only male in the litter, and the
>>> only orange one. He was all by himself, and didn't seem to want to
>>> have anything to do with his sisters. This aloofness is a trait he kept
>>> throughout his life, and made us two peas in a pod. When I lay down to
>>> sleep, he would position himself just above me on the bed, close enough
>>> to let me pet him, but never touching -- that would have been TOO close
>>> for him, ha, ha.
>>>
>>> Just last month, when he was still healthy, I said to him, Henry, when
>>> you want to go (by go, I meant ease out of life), you go ahead, don't
>>> worry about me, I'll be alright. And I stroked him gently like he
>>> always enjoyed. He chose my two days off from work to start getting
>>> ill (coincidence? I don't think so). He was so brave and noble
>>> throughout, and never became ornery or difficult. He retained his
>>> gentle spirit and was as accomodating to the vet, assistants and
>>> everyone as you could want. I think he knew just what he was doing.
>>>
>>> Henry, you were the best, and I will remember you my whole life for
>>> giving me the greatest gift of all -- my humanity. I will always
>>> retain that, and will pass it along. Your life was significant, baby,
>>> and it will have it's effect, sweety. It will have it's effect. Good
>>> bye, good buddy. See ya later.
>>>
>>> Love, your friend, Lee
>>>
>>> http://www.sonic.net/~lkokot/henry/
>>>

>> Henry sounds just wonderful and from your pictures was just the kind
>> of big orange tabby boy I have always wanted. From your description,
>> it is clear that you two were meant to be together. I know that feeling--
>> I still feel like someone sent my little Gracie to me, that we were sent
>> to each other, for similar reasons. I am very sorry for your loss. Thank
>> you for sharing Henry with us.
>>

>> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
>> http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

He had a sweet face, but the eyes seemed tired. The picture brought back
memories of my Ginger who left this existence many, many years ago.
"....rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go.." MLB

Charley's human
May 9th 06, 02:54 AM
Lee,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Henry was a beautiful feline. I
can see his aloofness in the picture. :-) The epitome of "catness".
You were certainly blessed to have such a wonderful comrade for such a
long time.

Michelle

Candace
May 9th 06, 03:18 AM
Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

> Henry, you were the best, and I will remember you my whole life for
> giving me the greatest gift of all -- my humanity. I will always
> retain that, and will pass it along. Your life was significant, baby,
> and it will have it's effect, sweety. It will have it's effect. Good
> bye, good buddy. See ya later.
>
> Love, your friend, Lee
>
> http://www.sonic.net/~lkokot/henry/

Lee, I'm sorry about Henry, he was a very handsome boy. I recently
lost my orange boy, too. I hope Henry will send you another special
kitty who needs you. You had a very special relationship; he's fine
now, it is you who are feeling the pain and I send my sincere
condolences to you.

Candace

Rockinghorse Winner
May 9th 06, 07:20 AM
Thanks to all. Your condolences were read and very much appreciated.
Me and Lassie, my other rescue, miss henry very much. Henry was god's
gift to a rather lonely and friendless New york transplant to
California. His legacy of meekness and compassion will be passed on to
the people and animals I come into contact with.

Prior to Henry's loss I lost 2 grandparents and 2 Aunts, but this was
the first death to really affect me in a strong way. It took a cat to
teach this to me. The hardest thing is walking in the door to an empty
apartment. That is when I really choke up. Henry was an island of
peace and contentment in a sometimes confusing and crazy world. He
asked very little, and gave so much.

Thank you so much for all your condolences. They mean a lot, and have
helped me. I think I'm healing already.

Gail
May 9th 06, 03:02 PM
I really think Henry will "send" another wonderful homeless cat for you to
love.
Gail
"Rockinghorse Winner" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thanks to all. Your condolences were read and very much appreciated.
> Me and Lassie, my other rescue, miss henry very much. Henry was god's
> gift to a rather lonely and friendless New york transplant to
> California. His legacy of meekness and compassion will be passed on to
> the people and animals I come into contact with.
>
> Prior to Henry's loss I lost 2 grandparents and 2 Aunts, but this was
> the first death to really affect me in a strong way. It took a cat to
> teach this to me. The hardest thing is walking in the door to an empty
> apartment. That is when I really choke up. Henry was an island of
> peace and contentment in a sometimes confusing and crazy world. He
> asked very little, and gave so much.
>
> Thank you so much for all your condolences. They mean a lot, and have
> helped me. I think I'm healing already.

Char
May 9th 06, 03:10 PM
> Last saturday, I had to put down my companion and friend of 15 years,
> Henry.

It's never easy to say goodbye to your best friend.
My heart tugged and tears came to my eyes as I read about Henry.
I can feel your pain and loss!
Eventually you will feel better and just the good memories will remain.
Only time will heal.
You gave him a wonderful life, full of love and tenderness.
Be happy and proud of that!
Heres to Henry and you! "Bravo!"
Take care,
Char

Elizabeth Blake
May 9th 06, 04:43 PM
"Rockinghorse Winner" > wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm very sorry for your loss. I also lost a cat recently, my first, and
know how hard it is. You & Henry were lucky to have found each other. He
was a very handsome cat.

--
Liz

Kiran
May 9th 06, 06:46 PM
Rockinghorse Winner > wrote:

: Thanks to all. Your condolences were read and very much appreciated.
: Me and Lassie, my other rescue, miss henry very much. Henry was god's
: gift to a rather lonely and friendless New york transplant to
: California. His legacy of meekness and compassion will be passed on to
: the people and animals I come into contact with.

You will heal and when you have, use this experience to reach out and
grow in all directions. When you are ready, get another cat so Lassie
will be less lonely. But also realize that there are always cats much
less fortunate than Henry, so give a few hours and a few dollars to a
deserving shelter in your area.

:
: Thank you so much for all your condolences. They mean a lot, and have
: helped me. I think I'm healing already.
:

Ryan Robbins
May 12th 06, 06:46 AM
"Rockinghorse Winner" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Prior to Henry's loss I lost 2 grandparents and 2 Aunts, but this was
> the first death to really affect me in a strong way. It took a cat to
> teach this to me. The hardest thing is walking in the door to an empty
> apartment. That is when I really choke up. Henry was an island of
> peace and contentment in a sometimes confusing and crazy world. He
> asked very little, and gave so much.

I can relate. I lost my Sara three weeks ago, on April 21, to kidney
disease. She died at home only minutes after I woke up. I still get ready to
block the door when I come home because she was always waiting for me, at
least until the last few weeks of her life. We lived alone together. I have
her obituary and some photos at http://bangorinfo.com/RRR/Sara. (I wrote the
obituary for the Yahoo feline chronic renal failure support group.)

Since July, I have been with three family pets when they died: My parents'
cat Polly, who had to be put to sleep at 16 years old in July for severe
heart failure; my parents' dog Tess, who had to be put to sleep at 13 in
November when a tumor blocked her thorax; and Sara. My parents adopted two
greyhounds this past winter. Their first adopted owner died in January. One
of the dogs, a 10-year-old male, was diagnosed with severe congestive heart
failure about two months ago. Fortunately medication has helped him, but my
parents have to limit his activity.

-- Ryan