PDA

View Full Version : help with hair loss

StephanieM
May 9th 06, 04:12 PM
I have three cats, one has a problem with I am guessing hair loss.
While I have never seen her pull out her hair, it seems like her hair
thins a great deal on her hind legs. I have recently changed her food
to pro plan from the Kirkland brand (I know not the *best* catfood),
and I am hoping that will do the trick. It will take awhile to figure
this out. This cat is about four years old, and developed this problem
within the last six months. She has a slightly nervous personality, so
I am not certain that this problem was induced by her diet.

Any thoughts?

Anna via CatKB.com
May 9th 06, 08:25 PM
>thins a great deal on her hind legs. I have recently changed her food
>to pro plan from the Kirkland brand (I know not the *best* catfood),
>Any thoughts?

You may have to wait a bit until the new food kicks in if it had to do with
the food. If that's not it, she may be licking the fur off; could be due to
nerves or boredom.

May 9th 06, 09:07 PM
"StephanieM" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have three cats, one has a problem with I am guessing hair loss.
> While I have never seen her pull out her hair, it seems like her hair
> thins a great deal on her hind legs. I have recently changed her food
> to pro plan from the Kirkland brand (I know not the *best* catfood),
> and I am hoping that will do the trick. It will take awhile to figure
> this out. This cat is about four years old, and developed this problem
> within the last six months. She has a slightly nervous personality, so
> I am not certain that this problem was induced by her diet.
>
> Any thoughts?

Does she have little bumps running in a straight line up the back
of her leg(s)?

StephanieM
May 10th 06, 12:26 AM
Actually her skin looks nice and clear. I am really boggled by this.
This happened about six months ago, and then that hair grew back, and
it has happened again.

cybercat
May 10th 06, 12:42 AM
"StephanieM" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Actually her skin looks nice and clear. I am really boggled by this.
> This happened about six months ago, and then that hair grew back, and
> it has happened again.

I asked because I thought she might have an allergic condition my cat
has--EGC--but if she has no bumps, she doesn't.

Since you say she is nervous, she is likely grooming the hair away out of
anxiety. I know this is going to sound stupid, but try to figure out what is
bothering her and fix it.

When my girl came to live with us, she had a naked bikini area. :) It stayed
naked and pink until about a year ago, which is when I figured out that she
had been nervously grooming the place ever since her spay.

I found out when hair began disappearing on her flank. The only thing that
had changed was that our other cat, who was here when she got here, was
coming up into the guest room where my nervous girl liked to sleep, and
getting on that bed. The latter cat was doing that because she had somehow
gotten more attached to me and wanted to be with me, upstairs where the
guest room is. I began spending time with that cat all the way down on the
first level, she stopped coming up into Gracie's turf, and Gracie's fur grew
back on her flank! As she grew happier her bikini area began growing in, and
now she has that gorgeous thick vanilla-and-spots thing that tabbies have
going on. :) I kiss her belly every night, quick like before she can start
rabbit-kicking my head!

country_cinderella
May 10th 06, 12:50 AM
I am only taking a guess here, but maybe she is getting a mild bladder
infection, just enough to irritate her, and she is licking enough to loose
hair trying to make the irritation go away. I am only guessing though

Another thought I had was to ask you if she is spayed if not maybe it has
something to do with going into heat and being irritated enough to be
licking the hair on the hind legs thin

Just guesses; hope she gets over what ever the problem is.
country_cinderella

"StephanieM" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have three cats, one has a problem with I am guessing hair loss.
> While I have never seen her pull out her hair, it seems like her hair
> thins a great deal on her hind legs. I have recently changed her food
> to pro plan from the Kirkland brand (I know not the *best* catfood),
> and I am hoping that will do the trick. It will take awhile to figure
> this out. This cat is about four years old, and developed this problem
> within the last six months. She has a slightly nervous personality, so
> I am not certain that this problem was induced by her diet.
>
> Any thoughts?

Judy
May 12th 06, 12:42 AM
"StephanieM" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have three cats, one has a problem with I am guessing hair loss.
> While I have never seen her pull out her hair, it seems like her hair
> thins a great deal on her hind legs. I have recently changed her food
> to pro plan from the Kirkland brand (I know not the *best* catfood),
> and I am hoping that will do the trick. It will take awhile to figure
> this out. This cat is about four years old, and developed this problem
> within the last six months. She has a slightly nervous personality, so
> I am not certain that this problem was induced by her diet.
>
> Any thoughts?

I'm dealing with this now in my cat. Here's a link to the article the vet
sent me home with.

http://www.vetstream.com/ownerinformation/cat/felis_overgr.htm

Though I believe she might have taken up this habit as a result of being
bullied for a couple of months last summer, she has been given a shot of
Depo-Medrol which will result in telling us whether or not she's
over-grooming as a result of stresses or due to allergies or a skin problem.

If the hair starts to return over the next week or so, we'll know the
problem is not as a result of stresses.

Best wishes.

Judy & Matilda of the mostly bare belly. :c)