PDA

View Full Version : Quality of 9Lives, Friskies, Whiskas?


Kiran
May 9th 06, 07:04 PM
Among cheaper brands of canned food, how do
9Lives, Friskies, and Whiskas compare in nutritional quality?

Anna via CatKB.com
May 9th 06, 09:31 PM
>Among cheaper brands of canned food, how do
>9Lives, Friskies, and Whiskas compare in nutritional quality?

My husband's childhood cat ate 9 Lives her whole life and lived well into her
20's, but she also was an outdoor cat so she probably hunted mice and birds
which may have provided her with nutrients too. Whiskas is made by Waltham;
they also have food in the vet's offices. Don't know anything about Friskies
except that they're made by Purina - I've heard that Purina One is their
highest quality food. I think they're considered middle of the road foods
but definitely better than feeding generic!

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200605/1

stan beck
May 9th 06, 09:43 PM
Look at the label -- if the ingredients aren't things you can
pronounce, things that you might not eat yourself, you may want to take
a second look. I know you are asking about those specific brands, but
I'm addressing the larger issue. Remember, garbage in, garbage out.
Watch out for the fillers and synthesized food -- it's actually common
sense. Think about what a Kitty would eat in the wild and compare that
to the label.

I hope this helps.

Stan

For the most adorable Kitten Pictures
http://kitten-pictures.blogspot.com

Joe Canuck
May 10th 06, 02:24 AM
Ivor Jones wrote:
> "stan beck" > wrote in message
> oups.com
>> Look at the label -- if the ingredients aren't things you
>> can pronounce, things that you might not eat yourself,
>> you may want to take a second look. I know you are
>> asking about those specific brands, but I'm addressing
>> the larger issue. Remember, garbage in, garbage out.
>> Watch out for the fillers and synthesized food -- it's
>> actually common sense. Think about what a Kitty would
>> eat in the wild and compare that to the label.
>
> But they don't make mouse flavoured cat food ;-)
>
> Ivor
>
>

You can make that yourself. Instructions below:

1) Purchase mouse from local pet store.

2) Put mouse in blender and set on puree.

3) Pour mouse puree into bowl and garnish.

4) Serves one cat.

Kiran
May 10th 06, 04:29 AM
edie humperdink > wrote:

: now, there's an interesting question: WHY don't they make mouse
: flavored food?

The answer must be that all commercial pet food is just a byproduct of
human foods.

Netmask
May 10th 06, 05:55 AM
"Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
...
>
>
> "stan beck" > wrote in message
> oups.com
>> Look at the label -- if the ingredients aren't things you
>> can pronounce, things that you might not eat yourself,
>> you may want to take a second look. I know you are
>> asking about those specific brands, but I'm addressing
>> the larger issue. Remember, garbage in, garbage out.
>> Watch out for the fillers and synthesized food -- it's
>> actually common sense. Think about what a Kitty would
>> eat in the wild and compare that to the label.
>
> But they don't make mouse flavoured cat food ;-)
>
> Ivor
>
>
I haven't had a cat in 40 years that would actually eat a mouse - they know
when they are on a good thing! That's why *they* domesticated us...

Toni
May 10th 06, 10:56 AM
"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message >>
>
> You can make that yourself. Instructions below:
>
> 1) Purchase mouse from local pet store.
>
> 2) Put mouse in blender and set on puree.
>
> 3) Pour mouse puree into bowl and garnish.
>
> 4) Serves one cat.
>


Nope- just go to the pet shop and buy pre-frozen mice packaged as reptile
food. Thaw them in hot water and serve. My kitties even eat the tails and
feet, and crunching the bones keeps thir teeth sparkling.

-Toni

Joe Canuck
May 10th 06, 02:51 PM
Toni wrote:
> "Joe Canuck" > wrote in message >>
>> You can make that yourself. Instructions below:
>>
>> 1) Purchase mouse from local pet store.
>>
>> 2) Put mouse in blender and set on puree.
>>
>> 3) Pour mouse puree into bowl and garnish.
>>
>> 4) Serves one cat.
>>
>
>
> Nope- just go to the pet shop and buy pre-frozen mice packaged as reptile
> food. Thaw them in hot water and serve. My kitties even eat the tails and
> feet, and crunching the bones keeps thir teeth sparkling.
>
> -Toni
>
>

Yes, I had forgotten about that. Excellent idea!

Just don't mistakenly use the mouse puree as spread on toast in the morning!

Patrick I McCurry
May 11th 06, 03:00 AM
"Netmask" > wrote in
:

>
> "Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
> ...
>>
>>
>> "stan beck" > wrote in message
>> oups.com
>>> Look at the label -- if the ingredients aren't things you
>>> can pronounce, things that you might not eat yourself,
>>> you may want to take a second look. I know you are
>>> asking about those specific brands, but I'm addressing
>>> the larger issue. Remember, garbage in, garbage out.
>>> Watch out for the fillers and synthesized food -- it's
>>> actually common sense. Think about what a Kitty would
>>> eat in the wild and compare that to the label.
>>
>> But they don't make mouse flavoured cat food ;-)
>>
>> Ivor
>>
>>
> I haven't had a cat in 40 years that would actually eat a mouse -
they
> know when they are on a good thing! That's why *they* domesticated
> us...
>
>
>

I had a piggish cat named Dipstick. Amidst begging for human food,
he enjoyed playing only with leaves... until the one day that he came
upon another cat's freshly mangled kill.
His eyes lit up as he realized that all those scampering things were
made of MEAT!
Thus started his spree, though ruled by his stomach he doesn't
torture the little guys the way most of the cats have.

He doesn't have the size, patience, athleticism, or inteligence of
any of the other cats, but by god if there's food involved he will
catch it.

He is also the only cat that I have ever seen catch a squirrel made
even more amazing as it was 2/3 his size. From the safe side of a
sliding glass door, I once saw him anxiously eye a passing adult
nutria.
(Non-native rodents that often weigh up to 25 pounds.)

Barb P
May 11th 06, 12:15 PM
--
>
> I had a piggish cat named Dipstick. Amidst begging for human food,
> he enjoyed playing only with leaves... until the one day that he came
> upon another cat's freshly mangled kill.
> His eyes lit up as he realized that all those scampering things were
> made of MEAT!

Dipstick??? LOL...Will have to tell my brother that one! They have a cat
named Doofus!

Justin Harding
May 11th 06, 04:47 PM
lol
"Barb P" > wrote in message
.. .
>
>
> --
> >
> > I had a piggish cat named Dipstick. Amidst begging for human food,
> > he enjoyed playing only with leaves... until the one day that he came
> > upon another cat's freshly mangled kill.
> > His eyes lit up as he realized that all those scampering things were
> > made of MEAT!
>
> Dipstick??? LOL...Will have to tell my brother that one! They have a cat
> named Doofus!
>
>