PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Bite marks behind ear

tomsheree
May 9th 06, 07:11 PM
Hello. Any help will be appreciated. I have 5 cats. All have been
neutered/spayed. I have one cat (male) who is apparently being bitten behind
one of his ears. I haven't seen the culprit who is doing it to him. I am
giving first aid to him, and it starts to heal and then he apparently gets
it chewed on more. He eventually will have a bald spot there I am sure.
What can I do to help this poor kitten. He is about 6 months old. The one
who I suspect may be doing this is his sister. Has anyone else had this
problem?? Thanks again for any responses!

Toni
May 9th 06, 07:31 PM
"tomsheree" > wrote in message
.. .
> Hello. Any help will be appreciated. I have 5 cats. All have been
> neutered/spayed. I have one cat (male) who is apparently being bitten
> behind
> one of his ears. I haven't seen the culprit who is doing it to him. I am
> giving first aid to him, and it starts to heal and then he apparently gets
> it chewed on more. He eventually will have a bald spot there I am sure.
> What can I do to help this poor kitten. He is about 6 months old. The one
> who I suspect may be doing this is his sister. Has anyone else had this
> problem?? Thanks again for any responses!

Are you positive it is bites and not abrasions from him scratching the ear,
or a skin problem?

-Toni

tomsheree
May 9th 06, 07:34 PM
No, I am sure they are bites, you can see the teeth marks.

All my cats are house cats so they do not come in contact with outside
strays either. Got any ideas?

"Toni" > wrote in message
. ..

> "tomsheree" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Hello. Any help will be appreciated. I have 5 cats. All have been
>> neutered/spayed. I have one cat (male) who is apparently being bitten
>> behind
>> one of his ears. I haven't seen the culprit who is doing it to him. I am
>> giving first aid to him, and it starts to heal and then he apparently
>> gets
>> it chewed on more. He eventually will have a bald spot there I am sure.
>> What can I do to help this poor kitten. He is about 6 months old. The
>> one
>> who I suspect may be doing this is his sister. Has anyone else had this
>> problem?? Thanks again for any responses!
>>

> Are you positive it is bites and not abrasions from him scratching the
> ear, or a skin problem?
>
> -Toni

Toni
May 9th 06, 08:09 PM
"tomsheree" > wrote in message
. ..
> No, I am sure they are bites, you can see the teeth marks.
>
> All my cats are house cats so they do not come in contact with outside
> strays either. Got any ideas?

Not really- just trying to clarify that they were bites.

Anecdotally- one of mine was beating up on another a little bit too much for
my taste, so I kept clipping the nails of the aggressor really short and let
the nails on the abused one get really long and pointy.
It did help.

-Toni

May 9th 06, 08:51 PM
"tomsheree" > wrote in message
.. .
> Hello. Any help will be appreciated. I have 5 cats. All have been
> neutered/spayed. I have one cat (male) who is apparently being bitten
> behind
> one of his ears. I haven't seen the culprit who is doing it to him. I am
> giving first aid to him, and it starts to heal and then he apparently gets
> it chewed on more. He eventually will have a bald spot there I am sure.
> What can I do to help this poor kitten. He is about 6 months old. The one
> who I suspect may be doing this is his sister. Has anyone else had this
> problem?? Thanks again for any responses!

You may want to isolate the bitten cat until his ear heals.

Then make sure all the cats have lots of good hiding places. Whenever I've
had a more aggressive cat, as long as the timid one could get under or
behind something they could defend themselves. Any other cat trying to get
to them got soundly scratched on the nose.

Another way to defuse tension, is to be sure the cats have lots of different
levels - like on a cat tree. The dominant cat(s) will seek the higher
levels - and play cat King or Queen. It seems to make them feel better if
they can express their importance this way.

-- maryjane

tomsheree
May 9th 06, 09:31 PM
Thank you, I will isolate him till it heals. I appreciate the advice. Is it
ok to use an antibiotic ointment on cats, like neosporin??

> wrote in message
t...

> "tomsheree" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Hello. Any help will be appreciated. I have 5 cats. All have been
>> neutered/spayed. I have one cat (male) who is apparently being bitten
>> behind
>> one of his ears. I haven't seen the culprit who is doing it to him. I am
>> giving first aid to him, and it starts to heal and then he apparently
>> gets
>> it chewed on more. He eventually will have a bald spot there I am sure.
>> What can I do to help this poor kitten. He is about 6 months old. The
>> one
>> who I suspect may be doing this is his sister. Has anyone else had this
>> problem?? Thanks again for any responses!
>>

> You may want to isolate the bitten cat until his ear heals.
>
> Then make sure all the cats have lots of good hiding places. Whenever
> I've had a more aggressive cat, as long as the timid one could get under
> or behind something they could defend themselves. Any other cat trying to
> get to them got soundly scratched on the nose.
>
> Another way to defuse tension, is to be sure the cats have lots of
> different levels - like on a cat tree. The dominant cat(s) will seek the
> higher levels - and play cat King or Queen. It seems to make them feel
> better if they can express their importance this way.
>
> -- maryjane

stan beck
May 9th 06, 09:39 PM
Hi, This is a shot in the dark, but is it possible to put something on
your Kitty, behind his ear, that might repel the biter? Some kind of
bad tasting substance that is not harmful to one being bitten?

Stan

For the most adorable Kitten Pictures
http://kitten-pictures.blogspot.com

tomsheree
May 9th 06, 10:02 PM
I thought about that also. Got any suggestions as to what might work???
Thanks for responding!

"stan beck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, This is a shot in the dark, but is it possible to put something on
> your Kitty, behind his ear, that might repel the biter? Some kind of
> bad tasting substance that is not harmful to one being bitten?
>
> Stan
>
> For the most adorable Kitten Pictures
> http://kitten-pictures.blogspot.com

country_cinderella
May 9th 06, 11:05 PM
Yes it is okay to use Neosporin, in fact the vet has often suggested that
for my cats on occasion. Just be sure to carefully clean the area first so
as not to trap any dirt/dust under the Neosporin

country_cinderella

"tomsheree" > wrote in message
. ..
> Thank you, I will isolate him till it heals. I appreciate the advice. Is
> it ok to use an antibiotic ointment on cats, like neosporin??

Sherri
May 10th 06, 04:23 AM
country_cinderella wrote:
> Yes it is okay to use Neosporin, in fact the vet has often suggested that
> for my cats on occasion. Just be sure to carefully clean the area first so
> as not to trap any dirt/dust under the Neosporin
>
> country_cinderella
>

> "tomsheree" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Thank you, I will isolate him till it heals. I appreciate the advice. Is
> > it ok to use an antibiotic ointment on cats, like neosporin??

Bitter apple taste bad and its safe to use on cats. Be careful with the
bites, cat wound heal over very quickly and trap bacteria which can
cause a abscess

cybercat
May 10th 06, 04:34 AM
"Sherri" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> country_cinderella wrote:
> > Yes it is okay to use Neosporin, in fact the vet has often suggested
that
> > for my cats on occasion. Just be sure to carefully clean the area first
so
> > as not to trap any dirt/dust under the Neosporin
> >
> > country_cinderella
> >

> > "tomsheree" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> > > Thank you, I will isolate him till it heals. I appreciate the advice.
Is
> > > it ok to use an antibiotic ointment on cats, like neosporin??
>
> Bitter apple taste bad and its safe to use on cats. Be careful with the
> bites, cat wound heal over very quickly and trap bacteria which can
> cause a abscess

how!

lol

Anna via CatKB.com
May 10th 06, 06:23 PM
>giving first aid to him, and it starts to heal and then he apparently gets
>it chewed on more. He eventually will have a bald spot there I am sure.

Since you are giving first aid to him, here is some info. on abscesses. If
you think it's looks bad, I would suggest bringing him to your vet to look at
the bite wounds.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_bite_wound_abscess.html

May 18th 06, 05:19 AM
Sherri wrote:
> country_cinderella wrote:
> > Yes it is okay to use Neosporin, in fact the vet has often suggested that
> > for my cats on occasion. Just be sure to carefully clean the area first so
> > as not to trap any dirt/dust under the Neosporin
> >
> > country_cinderella
> >

> > "tomsheree" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> > > Thank you, I will isolate him till it heals. I appreciate the advice. Is
> > > it ok to use an antibiotic ointment on cats, like neosporin??
>
> Bitter apple taste bad and its safe to use on cats. Be careful with the
> bites, cat wound heal over very quickly and trap bacteria which can
> cause a abscess

I don't think I'd use bitter apple near a wound.

Sherry