PDA

View Full Version : Excessive licking, hyperthyroidism, tapazole

DaveC
May 10th 06, 06:12 AM
Hi,

Several months ago my 12 year old cat started to lick obsessively. Took him
to the vet who thought he had some sort of allergy. Vet gave him shots
every couple of months, but excessive licking did not stop. Put him on
special allergy diet, which did not seem to help either.

Finally we and the vet took notice of his loss of weight. Vet did blood
test and found hyperthyroidism. Started cat on 5 mg tapazole per day (mixed
with wet food). Since then the cat seems to have stopped licking
obsessively; at least it is much less of a problem.

Has anybody else noticed that Tapazole has an effect on obsessive licking?

Thanks,

DaveC

vancats
May 10th 06, 11:24 AM
Hyperthyroid can cause obsessive licking. Treat the thyroid problem and
the licking stops.

One of my cats was losing weight and acting real twitchy, plus licking
and pulling fur out. Had blood work done and found out that it was
Hyperthyroid. He is on 5mg of Tapazole twice aday and has been doing
great! Thats been 2 years ago and I haven't had to up his dose yet!

Best of luck with your kitty.

Leslie

stan beck
May 10th 06, 12:55 PM
Hi Dave,

Do you notice a pattern with the licking -- meaning, is your cat
licking, say, after he has eaten, or does it all seem random?

Stan

For the most adorable Kitten Pictures
http://kitten-pictures.blogspot.com

DaveC
May 10th 06, 04:08 PM
I didn't see a pattern. Are you hinting that the licking could be in
response to a quick allergic flare up?

DaveC

oups.com...