PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for aging cat

The Other Mike
May 10th 06, 10:32 PM
Alll 3 of our cats are about 16 years old...one of them, the female,
is having trouble jumping and walking around. She seems to start
walking and then just plop down on the floor and lay there like she's
tired. She also can no longer jump onto the couch without falling 2
or 3 times first. When we go upstairs to bed...she just sits at the
bottom of the stairs and waits for us to carry her upstairs. We took
her to the vet and he said it's probably just arthritis (took blood
tests and nothing abnormal came up) but didn't give any
recommendations medicine to help her out a bit. She's eating fine and
seems fine in every other way. Is there any over the counter drugs
we could try? Maybe 1/4 aspirin or something...or is that bad for
cats? Any advice would be appreciated...we're trying to avoid going
back to the vet because she freaks out when we get her in the
car....just don't want to stress her out any more then she is if it's
not necessary.

Matthew aka NMR
May 10th 06, 10:47 PM
NO HUMAN DRUGS UNLESS VET TELLS YOU TO
Medicines for humans are often used for cats, both prescription and
non-prescription drugs (Phenobarbital, lasix, amoxicillin, cold medications,
etc.). When you hear that you should never give human medicines to cats, it
means that you should not give them without first consulting your vet.
Certain very common human drugs like aspirin and especially Tylenol
(acetaminophen) are deadly to cats, so don't give them any kind of
medication unless recommended by the vet (note that aspirin can be given in
very small doses, but you need to check correct dosage and frequency of
administration).
http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/health-care.shtml

some links about health care
http://www.fanciers.com/commpages.html
http://www.naturalpets.net/arthritis.htm

"The Other Mike" > wrote in message
> Alll 3 of our cats are about 16 years old...one of them, the female,
> is having trouble jumping and walking around. She seems to start
> walking and then just plop down on the floor and lay there like she's
> tired. She also can no longer jump onto the couch without falling 2
> or 3 times first. When we go upstairs to bed...she just sits at the
> bottom of the stairs and waits for us to carry her upstairs. We took
> her to the vet and he said it's probably just arthritis (took blood
> tests and nothing abnormal came up) but didn't give any
> recommendations medicine to help her out a bit. She's eating fine and
> seems fine in every other way. Is there any over the counter drugs
> we could try? Maybe 1/4 aspirin or something...or is that bad for
> cats? Any advice would be appreciated...we're trying to avoid going
> back to the vet because she freaks out when we get her in the
> car....just don't want to stress her out any more then she is if it's
> not necessary.

mlbriggs
May 10th 06, 11:42 PM
On Wed, 10 May 2006 17:32:44 -0400, The Other Mike wrote:

> Alll 3 of our cats are about 16 years old...one of them, the female,
> is having trouble jumping and walking around. She seems to start
> walking and then just plop down on the floor and lay there like she's
> tired. She also can no longer jump onto the couch without falling 2
> or 3 times first. When we go upstairs to bed...she just sits at the
> bottom of the stairs and waits for us to carry her upstairs. We took
> her to the vet and he said it's probably just arthritis (took blood
> tests and nothing abnormal came up) but didn't give any
> recommendations medicine to help her out a bit. She's eating fine and
> seems fine in every other way. Is there any over the counter drugs
> we could try? Maybe 1/4 aspirin or something...or is that bad for
> cats? Any advice would be appreciated...we're trying to avoid going
> back to the vet because she freaks out when we get her in the
> car....just don't want to stress her out any more then she is if it's
> not necessary.

When my Vet said I could give the cat a little aspirin, it was 1/4 of a
BABY Aspirin every third day That was hardly a crumb, but she only got
it once and it helped. Do be careful of the dosage. MLB

blkcatgal
May 11th 06, 12:48 AM
Do not give your cat aspirin without first consulting your vet. You should
probably take your cat to the vet for an exam. If it's arthritis that is
keeping her from jumping, etc., your vet may prescribe Cosequin which does
help.

Sue
"The Other Mike" > wrote in message
> Alll 3 of our cats are about 16 years old...one of them, the female,
> is having trouble jumping and walking around. She seems to start
> walking and then just plop down on the floor and lay there like she's
> tired. She also can no longer jump onto the couch without falling 2
> or 3 times first. When we go upstairs to bed...she just sits at the
> bottom of the stairs and waits for us to carry her upstairs. We took
> her to the vet and he said it's probably just arthritis (took blood
> tests and nothing abnormal came up) but didn't give any
> recommendations medicine to help her out a bit. She's eating fine and
> seems fine in every other way. Is there any over the counter drugs
> we could try? Maybe 1/4 aspirin or something...or is that bad for
> cats? Any advice would be appreciated...we're trying to avoid going
> back to the vet because she freaks out when we get her in the
> car....just don't want to stress her out any more then she is if it's
> not necessary.

stan beck
May 11th 06, 12:17 PM
Some vets make house calls -- perhaps that might work for you.

Stan

For the most adorable Kitten Pictures
http://kitten-pictures.blogspot.com

Debra Berry
May 11th 06, 10:16 PM
I've attached URLs for the Drs Foster and Smith website. The first
has different arthritis medications - many people use Cosequin, as
another poster mentioned. Also the URL for Ramps and Stairs for
pets with problems climbing onto the bed or couch.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?N=2002+22760
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?N=2002+113633

Maybe some of this will help.

Debbie

The Other Mike wrote:

> Alll 3 of our cats are about 16 years old...one of them, the female,
> is having trouble jumping and walking around. She seems to start
> walking and then just plop down on the floor and lay there like she's
> tired. She also can no longer jump onto the couch without falling 2
> or 3 times first. When we go upstairs to bed...she just sits at the
> bottom of the stairs and waits for us to carry her upstairs. We took
> her to the vet and he said it's probably just arthritis (took blood
> tests and nothing abnormal came up) but didn't give any
> recommendations medicine to help her out a bit. She's eating fine and
> seems fine in every other way. Is there any over the counter drugs
> we could try? Maybe 1/4 aspirin or something...or is that bad for
> cats? Any advice would be appreciated...we're trying to avoid going
> back to the vet because she freaks out when we get her in the
> car....just don't want to stress her out any more then she is if it's
> not necessary.

Spot
May 12th 06, 12:44 AM
You really need to talk to the vet about his. They make drugs specifically
for dogs there has to be something for cats but definately nothing over the
counter.

Celeste

"The Other Mike" > wrote in message
> Alll 3 of our cats are about 16 years old...one of them, the female,
> is having trouble jumping and walking around. She seems to start
> walking and then just plop down on the floor and lay there like she's
> tired. She also can no longer jump onto the couch without falling 2
> or 3 times first. When we go upstairs to bed...she just sits at the
> bottom of the stairs and waits for us to carry her upstairs. We took
> her to the vet and he said it's probably just arthritis (took blood
> tests and nothing abnormal came up) but didn't give any
> recommendations medicine to help her out a bit. She's eating fine and
> seems fine in every other way. Is there any over the counter drugs
> we could try? Maybe 1/4 aspirin or something...or is that bad for
> cats? Any advice would be appreciated...we're trying to avoid going
> back to the vet because she freaks out when we get her in the
> car....just don't want to stress her out any more then she is if it's
> not necessary.

The Other Mike
May 17th 06, 09:57 PM
On Thu, 11 May 2006 17:16:57 -0400, Debra Berry >
wrote:

>I've attached URLs for the Drs Foster and Smith website. The first
>has different arthritis medications - many people use Cosequin, as
>another poster mentioned. Also the URL for Ramps and Stairs for
>pets with problems climbing onto the bed or couch.
>
>http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?N=2002+22760
>http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?N=2002+113633
>
>Maybe some of this will help.
>
>Debbie

Thanks for this information. I called our vet and asked about the
Cosequin and he said it would be ok to try. Just received the
shipment and will start dosage tonight. We also purchased some
little stairs about a week ago...she's not the brightest cat in the
world so it took a few attempts to get her to realize what they were
for. Thanks again.

lymebytes
September 27th 07, 01:11 AM
Hi the Other Mike. I agree with the other posters. Do not give animals medications made for humans. It can be deadly.

When my older cat had arthritis, the vet prescribe Cosequin capsules which is for dogs and cats. It helped him a lot. I hope it helps your cat too.