PDA

View Full Version : Queens NY Cat Sitter?

dgk
May 11th 06, 01:07 PM
I'll be going away in August and my former cat sitter (Crittercare)
appears to have gone out of business. There are plenty of similar
people in Manhattan but I can't find any that do Queens. Anyone know
someone?

Asking a friend to come by once or twice a day for a week is a bit
much and I'd rather have a professional who would know what to do if
one of the boys appears to be ailing.

Barb
May 11th 06, 04:48 PM
Try international pet sitters. I used one once and he was fine. He was
local and my vet actually knew the guy.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

dgk
May 11th 06, 07:31 PM
On Thu, 11 May 2006 10:48:35 -0500, "Barb"
> wrote:

>Try international pet sitters. I used one once and he was fine. He was
>local and my vet actually knew the guy.

Thanks, there is one that might do it. The other one is only dogs.

Phil P.
May 12th 06, 11:51 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> I'll be going away in August and my former cat sitter (Crittercare)
> appears to have gone out of business. There are plenty of similar
> people in Manhattan but I can't find any that do Queens. Anyone know
> someone?
>
> Asking a friend to come by once or twice a day for a week is a bit
> much and I'd rather have a professional who would know what to do if
> one of the boys appears to be ailing.

Contact NAPPS (National Association of Professional Pet Sitters)
1-800-296-PETS- They're bonded and insured and actually better than a
friend.

Phil

dgk
May 12th 06, 02:06 PM
On Fri, 12 May 2006 10:51:15 GMT, "Phil P." >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>> I'll be going away in August and my former cat sitter (Crittercare)
>> appears to have gone out of business. There are plenty of similar
>> people in Manhattan but I can't find any that do Queens. Anyone know
>> someone?
>>
>> Asking a friend to come by once or twice a day for a week is a bit
>> much and I'd rather have a professional who would know what to do if
>> one of the boys appears to be ailing.
>
>Contact NAPPS (National Association of Professional Pet Sitters)
>1-800-296-PETS- They're bonded and insured and actually better than a
>friend.
>
>Phil

Thanks, I'll give a call. That was pretty much my feeling. They have a
website: http://www.petsitters.org/index.cfm

There is a satirical newspaper called The Onion (www.theonion.com) and
a few years ago they had a fake article about a woman who was afraid
to leave her cats so that she could go on vacation. They interviewed
her neighbor, who said something like, "On yes, she was supposed to go
six or seven times and each time she cancelled". Then they had an
interview with a cat psychologist who said, "well, cats don't really
miss you very much. They simply look at you as the most likely source
of protein and will forget who you are if someone else brings them
food".

It was very funny but I'm sure everyone reading this can relate. I'm
going away this weekend and I have a friend coming in tomorrow to feed
them and I left a ton of dry food, but I know that they'll worry about
me when I don't come home tonight. And one will panic when my friend
comes to feed them, even though they've only met a few dozen times.
He's such a big wuss.

Maybe I should cancel the weekend getaway...

OceanView
May 12th 06, 03:47 PM
dgk > wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

> On Fri, 12 May 2006 10:51:15 GMT, "Phil P." >
> wrote:
>

>>"dgk" > wrote in message
>>> I'll be going away in August and my former cat sitter (Crittercare)
>>> appears to have gone out of business. There are plenty of similar
>>> people in Manhattan but I can't find any that do Queens. Anyone know
>>> someone?
>>>
>>> Asking a friend to come by once or twice a day for a week is a bit
>>> much and I'd rather have a professional who would know what to do if
>>> one of the boys appears to be ailing.
>>
>>Contact NAPPS (National Association of Professional Pet Sitters)
>>1-800-296-PETS- They're bonded and insured and actually better than a
>>friend.
>>
>>Phil
>>

> Thanks, I'll give a call. That was pretty much my feeling. They have a
> website: http://www.petsitters.org/index.cfm
>
> There is a satirical newspaper called The Onion (www.theonion.com) and
> a few years ago they had a fake article about a woman who was afraid
> to leave her cats so that she could go on vacation. They interviewed
> her neighbor, who said something like, "On yes, she was supposed to go
> six or seven times and each time she cancelled". Then they had an
> interview with a cat psychologist who said, "well, cats don't really
> miss you very much. They simply look at you as the most likely source
> of protein and will forget who you are if someone else brings them
> food".
>
> It was very funny but I'm sure everyone reading this can relate. I'm
> going away this weekend and I have a friend coming in tomorrow to feed
> them and I left a ton of dry food, but I know that they'll worry about
> me when I don't come home tonight. And one will panic when my friend
> comes to feed them, even though they've only met a few dozen times.
> He's such a big wuss.
>
> Maybe I should cancel the weekend getaway...

I stayed at my sister's house once when visiting family. She left and
stayed with her boyfriend. I got in at 11 pm and her cats were startled
when I walked through the door. One hid under the couch and watched me but
the other one took off someplace and I didn't know where until I heard
SPLASH! She had left the tub full and cat jump in to hide! SHe used bath
oils. That was nicesst smelling cat in the neighborhood.

Barb
May 12th 06, 04:48 PM
My 3 year old cat did not do well with me gone. She hid from my pet sitter,
a vet tech who loves cats.

When I came home she really showered me with attention including getting up
on the counter, putting her paw on my shoulder and reaching up so gently to
carefully touch my face.

It makes me feel like I don't want to go away and leave her any more.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Char
May 13th 06, 08:42 PM
I remember having to leave for 4 weeks one time.
My husband at the time was there and he took care of the cats ect.
Ebony didn't do well without me. Even at home with the hubby.
But I phoned every single day asking about the cats, then after he told me
they were ok, I'd ask him how he was...LOL
He felt soooo #2 on my list. Poor guy. (I'll probably get flamed for
husband neglect now...ha ha)

Ebony ( the one I still have now) was so happy to see me that she wouldnt
leave my side for weeks after I got back. She wouldn't eat unless I was in
the same room as her and she could keep her eyes on me. Stopping to take a
bite and looking to see if I was there. If I left the room, she would stop
eating to go look for me.

She does that to me too..reaching up and touching me lightly with her paws
to my face, with utter love in her eyes.

Amazing feeling isn't it? *sigh*

erio.net...