PDA

View Full Version : Re: Teeth problem?

paul
May 11th 06, 11:11 PM
I just got a 12 week old kitten. He is constantly biting my fingers. Do
kittens go through "teething" like people?

If so, what can I do about it?

Judy
May 12th 06, 03:21 AM
"paul" > wrote in message
t...
>I just got a 12 week old kitten. He is constantly biting my fingers. Do
>kittens go through "teething" like people?

Yes they do.

> If so, what can I do about it?

Keep your fingers away and encourage him to bite on something else.

Anna via CatKB.com
May 12th 06, 03:31 AM
>I just got a 12 week old kitten. He is constantly biting my fingers. Do
>kittens go through "teething" like people?

Never let him think your fingers are toys or you will continue to bite them
as an adult.

>If so, what can I do about it?

Get toys for him to play with and chew on (make sure nothing is on them
though that he can swallow; you may have to remove eyes, tails, etc. from the
toys first until he gets older)

Anna via CatKB.com
May 12th 06, 03:41 AM
>I just got a 12 week old kitten. He is constantly biting my fingers. Do
>kittens go through "teething" like people?

Oh, and yes, they go through teething; right now your cat's adult teeth
should be starting to come in (at 3 to 4 months of age). Sometimes you'll
find some of the baby teeth as they fall out (so cute!).

Phil P.
May 12th 06, 11:38 AM
"paul" > wrote in message
t...
> I just got a 12 week old kitten. He is constantly biting my fingers. Do
> kittens go through "teething" like people?
>
> If so, what can I do about it?

Give him small chunks of roasted, boneless chicken/turkey breast and don't
ever play with him with your bare hands- use a sock or hand puppet. If he
thinks your hands are toys, you'll have a nipper when he gets older.

Phil

paul
May 12th 06, 05:01 PM
Thanks to all for being so informative. Through my ignorance he HAS been
chewing on my fingers. But that of course will stop. Thanks again.

"paul" > wrote in message
t...
>I just got a 12 week old kitten. He is constantly biting my fingers. Do
>kittens go through "teething" like people?
>
> If so, what can I do about it?

stan beck
May 12th 06, 09:49 PM
Don't worry too much about it, it is totally normal behavior. He will
grow out of it -- puppies have the same instinct as well.

Stan

www.Kitten-Pictures.com
For Adorable Kitten Pictures!

NanCe via CatKB.com
May 12th 06, 09:56 PM
>Don't worry too much about it, it is totally normal behavior. He will
>grow out of it -- puppies have the same instinct as well.

Nope, one of mine has never grown out of it; I foolishly played with my
fingers with him when he was a kitten. Now he will try and play with them
with his teeth as an adult, but I don't let him.