PDA

View Full Version : Ear infection, Need somehting to hold my strong cat

OceanView
May 12th 06, 03:15 AM
Hi folks,
My cat, a VERY strong, 15-pound male, has an ear infection and I have to
give him two separate liquid treatments for the next ten days. Oh joy. The
problem is how to hold him still enough to be able to give him the treatment.
I live alone, so it's just me against a very strong cat. My only thought now
is to wrap a towel around him, but I don't have much faith in that. We did
that in the vet's office and three of us could not keep him still for long.

Years ago I saw a type of cage you could put cats in which exposed just their
head. They don't like it but it doesn't hurt them.. However, I can't find
anything like that. It has to be a frugal solution, as I'm unemployed (and
just spent $192 at the vet). Anybody have experience in this area?

I'd appreciate a suggestion. Thanks!

Judy
May 12th 06, 03:46 AM
"OceanView" > wrote in message
> Hi folks,
> My cat, a VERY strong, 15-pound male, has an ear infection and I have to
> give him two separate liquid treatments for the next ten days. Oh joy. The
> problem is how to hold him still enough to be able to give him the
> treatment.
> I live alone, so it's just me against a very strong cat. My only thought
> now
> is to wrap a towel around him, but I don't have much faith in that. We
> did
> that in the vet's office and three of us could not keep him still for
> long.
>
> Years ago I saw a type of cage you could put cats in which exposed just
> their
> head. They don't like it but it doesn't hurt them.. However, I can't
> find
> anything like that. It has to be a frugal solution, as I'm unemployed
> (and
> just spent $192 at the vet). Anybody have experience in this area?
>
> I'd appreciate a suggestion. Thanks!

How about this?

http://shopping.msn.com/Prices/shp/?itemId=391892460

raoul
May 12th 06, 05:00 AM
In article >, OceanView
> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> My cat, a VERY strong, 15-pound male, has an ear infection and I have to
> give him two separate liquid treatments for the next ten days. Oh joy. The
> problem is how to hold him still enough to be able to give him the treatment.
> I live alone, so it's just me against a very strong cat. My only thought now
> is to wrap a towel around him, but I don't have much faith in that. We did
> that in the vet's office and three of us could not keep him still for long.

I'm surprised there isn't something like the 'squeezer' a rancher uses
for cattle and sheep. The animal is run into the squeezer and the
sides squeeze in and the rancher can do whatever proceedure is
necessary.

country_cinderella
May 12th 06, 07:15 AM
I was going to suggest that maybe since you are on limited fund right now,
maybe you could use a cardboard box, that you would have to cut a hole for
just his head. Of course it would have to be just barely big enough for him
to fit in because you would not want him to be able to just pull his head
down in the box and hide from you.
Now that I have told you what I thought of I am going to tell you that I
think the bag that JUDY posted a url for looks wonderful. I did not notice
what the shipping cost so I do not know if that is going to be out of your
price range or not.
I would love to get one of those for around here. My roommate and I
volunteer for an animal rescue group and we often have cats that need to
receive meds. I will have to wait before I can get one though because I
have been laid off, so I am unemployed too, but I will be starting another
job this weekend. Maybe in a couple of paychecks maybe we will be able to
order one.
Thanks Judy for posting that url for OceanView.
I hope you find a way to make med times easy on both you and your cat
Cinders

"OceanView" > wrote in message
> Hi folks,
> My cat, a VERY strong, 15-pound male, has an ear infection and I have to
> give him two separate liquid treatments for the next ten days. Oh joy. The
> problem is how to hold him still enough to be able to give him the
> treatment.
> I live alone, so it's just me against a very strong cat. My only thought
> now
> is to wrap a towel around him, but I don't have much faith in that. We
> did
> that in the vet's office and three of us could not keep him still for
> long.
>
> Years ago I saw a type of cage you could put cats in which exposed just
> their
> head. They don't like it but it doesn't hurt them.. However, I can't
> find
> anything like that. It has to be a frugal solution, as I'm unemployed
> (and
> just spent $192 at the vet). Anybody have experience in this area?
>
> I'd appreciate a suggestion. Thanks!

Phil P.
May 12th 06, 11:38 AM
"raoul" > wrote in message
> In article >, OceanView
> > wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> > My cat, a VERY strong, 15-pound male, has an ear infection and I have
> > give him two separate liquid treatments for the next ten days. Oh joy.
The
> > problem is how to hold him still enough to be able to give him the
treatment.
> > I live alone, so it's just me against a very strong cat. My only thought
now
> > is to wrap a towel around him, but I don't have much faith in that. We
did
> > that in the vet's office and three of us could not keep him still for
long.

> I'm surprised there isn't something like the 'squeezer' a rancher uses
> for cattle and sheep. The animal is run into the squeezer and the
> sides squeeze in and the rancher can do whatever proceedure is
> necessary.

There is:

Tru-Catch Restraint Carrier Module
http://www.animal-traps.com/rcarrier.htm

Tomahawk Restraint Module http://tinyurl.com/azk9f

Tomahawk Squeeze Cage http://tinyurl.com/zow79

I have the Tomahawk Restraint Module but I recommend the Tru-Catch model.

Phil

P No Gree G O
May 12th 06, 02:54 PM
OceanView wrote:

> Hi folks,
> My cat, a VERY strong, 15-pound male, has an ear infection and I have to
> give him two separate liquid treatments for the next ten days. Oh joy. The
> problem is how to hold him still enough to be able to give him the treatment.
> I live alone, so it's just me against a very strong cat. My only thought now
> is to wrap a towel around him, but I don't have much faith in that. We did
> that in the vet's office and three of us could not keep him still for long.
>
> Years ago I saw a type of cage you could put cats in which exposed just their
> head. They don't like it but it doesn't hurt them.. However, I can't find
> anything like that. It has to be a frugal solution, as I'm unemployed (and
> just spent $192 at the vet). Anybody have experience in this area?
>
> I'd appreciate a suggestion. Thanks!

Wrap him in a towel.

OceanView
May 12th 06, 03:20 PM
"Judy" > wrote in
:

> "OceanView" > wrote in message
>> Hi folks,
>> My cat, a VERY strong, 15-pound male, has an ear infection and I have
>> give him two separate liquid treatments for the next ten days. Oh joy.
The
>> problem is how to hold him still enough to be able to give him the
>> treatment.
>> I live alone, so it's just me against a very strong cat. My only thought
>> now
>> is to wrap a towel around him, but I don't have much faith in that. We
>> did
>> that in the vet's office and three of us could not keep him still for
>> long.
>>
>> Years ago I saw a type of cage you could put cats in which exposed just
>> their
>> head. They don't like it but it doesn't hurt them.. However, I can't
>> find
>> anything like that. It has to be a frugal solution, as I'm unemployed
>> (and
>> just spent $192 at the vet). Anybody have experience in this area?
>>
>> I'd appreciate a suggestion. Thanks!
>
> How about this?
>
> http://shopping.msn.com/Prices/shp/?itemId=391892460

Thanks, Judy!
And thanks to everyone for suggestions. I think this might work the best
for me and right now, manly because it's the cheapest, but it also appeals
to me a little more than cages. I have a space problem, too!

I just hope he cant' tear through it. Every vet he's been to says the same
thing: That's a REALLY strong cat!

Dori
May 12th 06, 03:51 PM
Hi folks,
My cat, a VERY strong, 15-pound male, has an ear infection and I have to
give him two separate liquid treatments for the next ten days. Oh joy. The
problem is how to hold him still enough to be able to give him the treatment.
I live alone, so it's just me against a very strong cat. My only thought now
is to wrap a towel around him, but I don't have much faith in that. We did
that in the vet's office and three of us could not keep him still for long.

Years ago I saw a type of cage you could put cats in which exposed just their
head. They don't like it but it doesn't hurt them.. However, I can't find
anything like that. It has to be a frugal solution, as I'm unemployed (and
just spent $192 at the vet). Anybody have experience in this area?

I'd appreciate a suggestion. Thanks!

Here's what my vet's technician recommended when I faced the same problem.

First, have your medication ready to go and close at hand.

A cat will try to back away, not charge forward, so put the cat on a counter with its tail end against your chest. That way it can't back away because you're blocking it.

While wrapping your arm around one side, take hold of its ear firmly (not roughly) and hold on, and apply the med with the other hand. If you are holding the ear by its tip firmly, if the cat struggles it pulls its ear and will stop because it hurts.

Softly sweet talk it while doing all this, and don't forget to praise and love him up afterward. Also, as a general guideline, regularly pet and touch your cat all over his/her body often, so they are used to being touched.

Wrapping a cat in a towel with only the head out will work, and the hardest part is catching the cat :) !! Use a big towel and work fast.

Good luck.

May 12th 06, 06:43 PM
OceanView wrote:
> Hi folks,
> My cat, a VERY strong, 15-pound male, has an ear infection and I have to
> give him two separate liquid treatments for the next ten days. Oh joy. The
> problem is how to hold him still enough to be able to give him the treatment.
> I live alone, so it's just me against a very strong cat. My only thought now
> is to wrap a towel around him, but I don't have much faith in that. We did
> that in the vet's office and three of us could not keep him still for long.
>
> Years ago I saw a type of cage you could put cats in which exposed just their
> head. They don't like it but it doesn't hurt them.. However, I can't find
> anything like that. It has to be a frugal solution, as I'm unemployed (and
> just spent $192 at the vet). Anybody have experience in this area?
>
> I'd appreciate a suggestion. Thanks!

This is what I've done and have somewhat successful. First, catch the
cat. then stand behind and lean over the cat so they can't back up.
You might have to actually lay on the cat and/or maybe wrap him up.
coming from behind force the mouth open with thumb and forefinger,
shove medicine down with right hand. I'm right handed. it helps to have
meds ready. this works pretty well with a reasonable cat.
unfortunately, yours doesn't sound reasonable. hope this helps.

stan beck
May 12th 06, 09:44 PM
I wonder if the vet can prescribe a mild sedative, just calm him down
some.

Stan

www.kitten-pictures.com
For Adorable Kitten Pictures!

OceanView
May 12th 06, 10:28 PM
wrote in
ups.com:

> OceanView wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>> My cat, a VERY strong, 15-pound male, has an ear infection and I have
>> give him two separate liquid treatments for the next ten days. Oh joy.
>> The problem is how to hold him still enough to be able to give him the
>> treatment. I live alone, so it's just me against a very strong cat. My
>> only thought now is to wrap a towel around him, but I don't have much
>> faith in that. We did that in the vet's office and three of us could
>> not keep him still for long.
>>
>> Years ago I saw a type of cage you could put cats in which exposed just
>> their head. They don't like it but it doesn't hurt them.. However, I
>> can't find anything like that. It has to be a frugal solution, as I'm
>> unemployed (and just spent $192 at the vet). Anybody have experience
>> in this area?
>>
>> I'd appreciate a suggestion. Thanks!
>
> This is what I've done and have somewhat successful. First, catch the
> cat. then stand behind and lean over the cat so they can't back up.
> You might have to actually lay on the cat and/or maybe wrap him up.
> coming from behind force the mouth open with thumb and forefinger,
> shove medicine down with right hand. I'm right handed. it helps to have
> meds ready. this works pretty well with a reasonable cat.
> unfortunately, yours doesn't sound reasonable. hope this helps.

Thanks! In this case, I have to jam it down into his ears...4 times: two
ears two bottles. I've had *some* success in the past giving him pills byt
getting him when he's sleeping. Gets him pretty ****ed off, but it works!

Phil P.
May 13th 06, 10:54 AM
"P No Gree G O" > wrote in message

> Wrap him in a towel.

Like a burrito! lol

OceanView
May 13th 06, 08:35 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "P No Gree G O" > wrote in message
>
>> Wrap him in a towel.
>
> Like a burrito! lol

Burito el-squirmo-o. treatment #1 went semi-successful. He's just so quick
with the head-flick, it's hard to keep the suff in there. Very strong neck.

NanCe via CatKB.com
May 13th 06, 11:32 PM
>Burito el-squirmo-o. treatment #1 went semi-successful. He's just so quick
>with the head-flick, it's hard to keep the suff in there. Very strong neck.

You could also kneel on the floor; put him between your legs with his
backside facing you and hold him there firmly with your legs (while wrapped
in the towel if need be).