PDA

View Full Version : NEED ADVISE


janco8170
May 12th 06, 08:17 PM
I just adopted my 2nd kitty from the Miami animal control... he is the most
adorable Orange Tabbyhe has no major concerns eyes drippy or watery - no!
everything else appears to be fine... the only thing is, is thathe keeps
sneezing... like as if he allergic to something.... he activity is normal..he
is only 1 month old and believe it or not he is sooooo active... running
arounf jumping up and down everywhere.. playful, etc... but the sneezing...
before I take him to the vet should I be concerned or give it a little bit
more time...
PS: he has had his shots and is fine...just sneezing a lot... can any one
advise....???
Thanks a mil....

Anna via CatKB.com
May 12th 06, 08:38 PM
>I just adopted my 2nd kitty from the Miami animal control... he is the most
>adorable Orange Tabbyhe has no major concerns eyes drippy or watery - no!
>everything else appears to be fine... the only thing is, is thathe keeps
>sneezing... like as if he allergic to something.... he activity is normal..he
>is only 1 month old and believe it or not he is sooooo active... running
>arounf jumping up and down everywhere.. playful, etc... but the sneezing...
>before I take him to the vet should I be concerned or give it a little bit
>more time...
>PS: he has had his shots and is fine...just sneezing a lot... can any one
>advise....???

He is only 1 month old? They adopted a kitten out to you that is only 4
weeks?? Are you sure that is the correct age? Usually shelters will not
adopt out a 4 week old kitten; they will wait until they are at least 6-8
weeks old, which is also the time they are usually vaccinated. The sneezing
can be attributed to the FVRCP vaccine he got. It may be a mild reaction to
the vaccine which can occur a few days after being vaccinated. Or it may be
due to the fact that he caught an upper respitory infection at the shelter.
You need to keep a close eye on this; you also need to call them and ask some
questions. If he seems sick, he'll need to go to vet; URI's can be fatal to
a kitten.

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200605/1

janco8170
May 12th 06, 08:52 PM
Anna I apologize I he is 2 months old... I typoed... he is two months old he
is a sweetheart and this sneezing is continuous. I will moniter the sneezing
the next few days otherwise I am going to take him to my vet... I apprecaite
your response. This helps me a lot... your great...thanks a mil. Jannette

Anna wrote:
>>I just adopted my 2nd kitty from the Miami animal control... he is the most
>>adorable Orange Tabbyhe has no major concerns eyes drippy or watery - no!
>[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
>>PS: he has had his shots and is fine...just sneezing a lot... can any one
>>advise....???
>
>He is only 1 month old? They adopted a kitten out to you that is only 4
>weeks?? Are you sure that is the correct age? Usually shelters will not
>adopt out a 4 week old kitten; they will wait until they are at least 6-8
>weeks old, which is also the time they are usually vaccinated. The sneezing
>can be attributed to the FVRCP vaccine he got. It may be a mild reaction to
>the vaccine which can occur a few days after being vaccinated. Or it may be
>due to the fact that he caught an upper respitory infection at the shelter.
>You need to keep a close eye on this; you also need to call them and ask some
>questions. If he seems sick, he'll need to go to vet; URI's can be fatal to
>a kitten.

Gail
May 12th 06, 08:57 PM
Sounds like an upper respiratory infection which is common in shelters. He
needs to see a vet for antibiotics.
Gail
"janco8170" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I just adopted my 2nd kitty from the Miami animal control... he is the most
> adorable Orange Tabbyhe has no major concerns eyes drippy or watery - no!
> everything else appears to be fine... the only thing is, is thathe keeps
> sneezing... like as if he allergic to something.... he activity is
> normal..he
> is only 1 month old and believe it or not he is sooooo active... running
> arounf jumping up and down everywhere.. playful, etc... but the
> sneezing...
> before I take him to the vet should I be concerned or give it a little bit
> more time...
> PS: he has had his shots and is fine...just sneezing a lot... can any one
> advise....???
> Thanks a mil....

Buddy
May 12th 06, 09:11 PM
I agree with Gail. Get him to the vet immediately. Kittens go down
hill fast. Sneezing all the time is not normal.

janco8170
May 12th 06, 09:21 PM
YOU ALL ARE RIGHT THIS IS WORRYING ME I'M GOING TO TAKE HIM TO MY VET
IMMEDIATLY! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVISE! JANNETTE

Buddy wrote:
>I agree with Gail. Get him to the vet immediately. Kittens go down
>hill fast. Sneezing all the time is not normal.

Anna via CatKB.com
May 12th 06, 09:38 PM
>YOU ALL ARE RIGHT THIS IS WORRYING ME I'M GOING TO TAKE HIM TO MY VET
>IMMEDIATLY! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVISE! JANNETTE

That's a good idea; new kittens should have a check-up anyways. But as I
said before, it may be a vaccine reaction; I worked in a shelter and saw this
happen to many cats. So don't worry too much. You're doing the right thing
by getting him checked out though (the little guy obviously got himself a
great owner!).

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200605/1

janco8170
May 12th 06, 09:42 PM
Just one more question your advise is greatful... I have another kitty
Savannah who had to take some amoxicillin to prevent infection from a minor
surgery she had when she was just about the same age... and I have a half a
bottle left do you think if I gave "Napoleon" that's the new kitty's name a
small drop for a couple of days for the sneezing it would be safe enough...it
is an antiobiotic...

Anna wrote:
>>YOU ALL ARE RIGHT THIS IS WORRYING ME I'M GOING TO TAKE HIM TO MY VET
>>IMMEDIATLY! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVISE! JANNETTE
>
>That's a good idea; new kittens should have a check-up anyways. But as I
>said before, it may be a vaccine reaction; I worked in a shelter and saw this
>happen to many cats. So don't worry too much. You're doing the right thing
>by getting him checked out though (the little guy obviously got himself a
>great owner!).

Anna via CatKB.com
May 12th 06, 10:00 PM
>Just one more question your advise is greatful... I have another kitty
>Savannah who had to take some amoxicillin to prevent infection from a minor
>surgery she had when she was just about the same age... and I have a half a
>bottle left do you think if I gave "Napoleon" that's the new kitty's name a
>small drop for a couple of days for the sneezing it would be safe enough...it
>is an antiobiotic...

No, I would not give him something that was prescribed for your other cat.
You don't know yet if he even needs antibiotics. Just give your vet a call
and tell them the story. You should also call the Miami AC if they adopted
him out to you while he was sneezing; they may reimburse you some of the
funds to help pay for any costs that incur at the vet's.

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200605/1

Anna via CatKB.com
May 12th 06, 10:08 PM
>Just one more question your advise is greatful... I have another kitty
>Savannah who had to take some amoxicillin to prevent infection from a minor
>surgery she had when she was just about the same age... and I have a half a

Oh and also, you should not keep old bottles of antibiotics. Once you are
done with them, you should throw them away. They will not be as effective
over time and if you are prescribed them again in the future, the vet will
give you a new, fresh supply. Also, if your kitty is prescribed antibiotics,
*always* use the whole amount that the vet says to give, don't stop using it
if the cat seems fine. They have to finish the whole course for it to be
effective (same rule that applies to humans).

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

janco8170
May 12th 06, 10:13 PM
I just got off the phone with the vet I'm bringing Napoleon to see him
tomorrow morning at 9 am..I don't want to risk it...I thank you so much for
your advise....

Anna wrote:
>>Just one more question your advise is greatful... I have another kitty
>>Savannah who had to take some amoxicillin to prevent infection from a minor
>>surgery she had when she was just about the same age... and I have a half a
>>bottle left do you think if I gave "Napoleon" that's the new kitty's name a
>>small drop for a couple of days for the sneezing it would be safe enough...it
>>is an antiobiotic...
>
>No, I would not give him something that was prescribed for your other cat.
>You don't know yet if he even needs antibiotics. Just give your vet a call
>and tell them the story. You should also call the Miami AC if they adopted
>him out to you while he was sneezing; they may reimburse you some of the
>funds to help pay for any costs that incur at the vet's.

Phil P.
May 12th 06, 11:00 PM
"janco8170" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Just one more question your advise is greatful... I have another kitty
> Savannah who had to take some amoxicillin to prevent infection from a
minor
> surgery she had when she was just about the same age...

No. Amoxi is only good for for 10 days after its mixed.