PDA

View Full Version : A great resource on nutritional analysis of canned foods

Kiran
May 13th 06, 07:56 AM
The following page has a lot of relatively recent nutritional info on
canned foods:

http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html

Perhaps some of you knwo about it but it was new to me.

Now my only question to those who can read and interpret these numbers
is, which ones are good, or let's say avoiding super expensive brands,
which ones offer best value?

I can look for high protein and low carb % in calories, but I can't
relate to those Ph numbers (per 100 kcal). What is the acceptable limit
here?

~*Connie*~
May 13th 06, 01:13 PM
for my diabetic cat, I go for wheat gluten free foods that have carbs under
5. A lot of diabetic cats go for under 10, but my em is sensitive. Under
10 seems like a good all around "catkins" type diet for your average cat.

If your cat has no health issues, then the other numbers are (at this point)
nice to know but not much of a worry. Who knows, in 10 years they might
tell us something different.

If you need to restrict other items due to health issues, then joining a
group who has dealt with that issue extensively will give you some more
insight.
"Kiran" > wrote in message

> The following page has a lot of relatively recent nutritional info on
> canned foods:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html
>
> Perhaps some of you knwo about it but it was new to me.
>
> Now my only question to those who can read and interpret these numbers
> is, which ones are good, or let's say avoiding super expensive brands,
> which ones offer best value?
>
> I can look for high protein and low carb % in calories, but I can't
> relate to those Ph numbers (per 100 kcal). What is the acceptable limit
> here?

Kiran
May 13th 06, 03:51 PM
~*Connie*~ > wrote:

: for my diabetic cat, I go for wheat gluten free foods that have carbs under
: 5. A lot of diabetic cats go for under 10, but my em is sensitive. Under
: 10 seems like a good all around "catkins" type diet for your average cat.

Which brands/flavors do you get for your cat?

On second look, I noticed quite a few of them have migher % of calories
from fat than from protein. Is that OK?

: If your cat has no health issues, then the other numbers are (at this point)
: nice to know but not much of a worry. Who knows, in 10 years they might
: tell us something different.

Do you pay attention to Phosphorous numbers? Those seem to be all over
the place from ~100 to 600 mg per 100Kcal.

~*Connie*~
May 13th 06, 05:20 PM
I don't pay attention to them. Im currently feeding her Evo canned. But
that is higher in calories (wanted to get her back to her fighting weight
after some weight loss) I was feeding fancy feast turkey and giblets. but I
hate the tiny cans. I'd probably feed wellness if it weren't for the garlic
in it. Im one of the rare people who have a problem feeding cats any garlic
as it is toxic. I have written to the food companies and they assure me
that in the quantities they put in it is harmless. Garlic can cause anemia,
and to me even a dash is too much. There is no point to it. Its like
saying here, have a little arsenic with your steak.

But again, Im in the minority. among those in the feline diabetes group
(where that nutrition chart was conceived) a lot of people feed wellness.

Im not a nutritionist. But the goal would be to strive to feed a balanced
meal.. something along the lines of a whole mouse or rodent.

as for phosphorous, I don't worry about it too much. Probably should, but
I don't. I don't have cats that have issues with that. If you have one with
kidney issues you would probably want to pay more attention to that.

certainly know more than I.
"Kiran" > wrote in message
> ~*Connie*~ > wrote:
>
> : for my diabetic cat, I go for wheat gluten free foods that have carbs
> under
> : 5. A lot of diabetic cats go for under 10, but my em is sensitive.
> Under
> : 10 seems like a good all around "catkins" type diet for your average
> cat.
>
> Which brands/flavors do you get for your cat?
>
> On second look, I noticed quite a few of them have migher % of calories
> from fat than from protein. Is that OK?
>
> : If your cat has no health issues, then the other numbers are (at this
> point)
> : nice to know but not much of a worry. Who knows, in 10 years they might
> : tell us something different.
>
> Do you pay attention to Phosphorous numbers? Those seem to be all over
> the place from ~100 to 600 mg per 100Kcal.

Kiran
May 15th 06, 07:23 PM
~*Connie*~ > wrote:

: for my diabetic cat, I go for wheat gluten free foods that have carbs under
: 5. A lot of diabetic cats go for under 10, but my em is sensitive. Under
: 10 seems like a good all around "catkins" type diet for your average cat.

What are these numbers, % by weight or calories? I was surprised to
note that many *canned* foods have 20%-30% carb calories and very few
undder 10% according to the below mentioned web site.

: If your cat has no health issues, then the other numbers are (at this point)
: nice to know but not much of a worry. Who knows, in 10 years they might
: tell us something different.

No health issues, but just like humans I know bodies can take a lot of
abuse before effects show, but show eventually they do, so I am trying
the prevention route.

: "Kiran" > wrote
: > The following page has a lot of relatively recent nutritional info on
: > canned foods:
: >
: > http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html
: >
: > Perhaps some of you knwo about it but it was new to me.
: >
: > Now my only question to those who can read and interpret these numbers
: > is, which ones are good, or let's say avoiding super expensive brands,
: > which ones offer best value?
: >
: > I can look for high protein and low carb % in calories, but I can't
: > relate to those Ph numbers (per 100 kcal). What is the acceptable limit
: > here?

Kiran
May 15th 06, 07:46 PM
Kiran > wrote:

: I was surprised to note that many *canned* foods have 20%-30%
: carb calories and very few under 10%

I got carried away and it should be "relatively few" instead of "very
few" above.

One surprise was that Whiskas appears to be lower (in % carb calories)
than many more expensive brands including Science Diet.

: : > http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html