PDA

View Full Version : Help me please

Angela St.Aubin
May 14th 06, 02:53 AM
There is something wrong with my cat josephine. one of her front canine
teeth is really loose and hanging flat across her gums and there is blood
and she is acting weird. the vet isn't open until 10:00 tomorrow. i dont
know what to do. she is an adult, so it is not a baby tooth. what should i
do until then?
any idea what it is? any one else experience this before? i cant stop crying
i am so worried.
i have the money to take her to the vet, but it is money i have saved up for
a move out of town in 2 weeks. if anyone has had this happen before, what
did they do to fix it, and how much did it cost/
what if it falls out/ can she eat without it?
should i take the hard food away?

jmc
May 14th 06, 03:31 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Angela St.Aubin exclaimed (5/13/2006 9:53 PM):
> There is something wrong with my cat josephine. one of her front canine
> teeth is really loose and hanging flat across her gums and there is blood
> and she is acting weird. the vet isn't open until 10:00 tomorrow. i dont
> know what to do. she is an adult, so it is not a baby tooth. what should i
> do until then?
> any idea what it is? any one else experience this before? i cant stop crying
> i am so worried.
> i have the money to take her to the vet, but it is money i have saved up for
> a move out of town in 2 weeks. if anyone has had this happen before, what
> did they do to fix it, and how much did it cost/
> what if it falls out/ can she eat without it?
> should i take the hard food away?

Angela: Is there an emergency vet you can go to? Does your vet have an
after-hours number where you can ask for advice or ask to bring your cat
in in an emergency? If you have one of these options, use them.

Can you define "acting weird"?

I'd probably take all her food away, if her gum is damaged she could get
food stuck in there... at any rate it sounds like her mouth would be so
sore she'd not want to eat.

The only thing I can think of doing in the meantime, if she'll accept
it, is to try to hold an ice pack on her mouth, to slow the bleeding and
minimize any swelling. Don't force her though, that could just make
things worse.

Any idea how this happened? Is she an outdoor cat? If she is I'd
DEFINITELY get her to a vet right away!

jmc

Angela St.Aubin
May 14th 06, 03:35 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Angela St.Aubin exclaimed (5/13/2006 9:53 PM):
> > There is something wrong with my cat josephine. one of her front canine
> > teeth is really loose and hanging flat across her gums and there is
blood
> > and she is acting weird. the vet isn't open until 10:00 tomorrow. i dont
> > know what to do. she is an adult, so it is not a baby tooth. what should
> > do until then?
> > any idea what it is? any one else experience this before? i cant stop
crying
> > i am so worried.
> > i have the money to take her to the vet, but it is money i have saved up
for
> > a move out of town in 2 weeks. if anyone has had this happen before,
what
> > did they do to fix it, and how much did it cost/
> > what if it falls out/ can she eat without it?
> > should i take the hard food away?
> >

> Angela: Is there an emergency vet you can go to? Does your vet have an
> after-hours number where you can ask for advice or ask to bring your cat
> in in an emergency? If you have one of these options, use them.
>
> Can you define "acting weird"?
>
> I'd probably take all her food away, if her gum is damaged she could get
> food stuck in there... at any rate it sounds like her mouth would be so
> sore she'd not want to eat.
>
> The only thing I can think of doing in the meantime, if she'll accept
> it, is to try to hold an ice pack on her mouth, to slow the bleeding and
> minimize any swelling. Don't force her though, that could just make
> things worse.
>
> Any idea how this happened? Is she an outdoor cat? If she is I'd
> DEFINITELY get her to a vet right away!
>
> jmc

I called every vet in the area (i live in a rural area) and they all only
open on weekdays, and only one is open tomorrow for emergencies, at 10:00
am. And that is a 50$ cab ride away. there doesnt seem to be any bleeding
now.
she is acting more normal too, she was resting, and is now sitting down and
even purred when i pet her. she is an indoor cat, but likes to climb on
things and jump around so the only thing i can figure is that she knocked
it. it only seems to be that one tooth. it is laying flat backwards. i took
away her food. she is now kneading the blanket on the couch and going in
circles which is unlike her but seems like a good thing even though it is
strange for her. i hate having to wait so long, i know i wont be able to
sleep.

Joe Canuck
May 14th 06, 05:06 AM
Angela St.Aubin wrote:
> There is something wrong with my cat josephine. one of her front canine
> teeth is really loose and hanging flat across her gums and there is blood
> and she is acting weird. the vet isn't open until 10:00 tomorrow. i dont
> know what to do. she is an adult, so it is not a baby tooth. what should i
> do until then?
> any idea what it is? any one else experience this before? i cant stop crying
> i am so worried.
> i have the money to take her to the vet, but it is money i have saved up for
> a move out of town in 2 weeks. if anyone has had this happen before, what
> did they do to fix it, and how much did it cost/
> what if it falls out/ can she eat without it?
> should i take the hard food away?

No hard food, she may not consume it anyways.

Any neighbors or friends in the area that can help with transportation?

The different behavior is likely a result of the pain from the injury.

cybercat
May 14th 06, 05:13 AM
"Angela St.Aubin" > wrote in message
. ..

Do you have a friend or neighbor with a car?

Your cat needs to go in tomorrow--you know that.

Offer gas money, it will be cheaper than a cab.

Get your cat help, she cannot help herself.

(They are so stoic, she could be in terrible pain.)

*When you do the right thing, the money works
itself out.

Do the right thing.

-L.
May 14th 06, 06:16 AM
Angela St.Aubin wrote:
> I called every vet in the area (i live in a rural area) and they all only
> open on weekdays, and only one is open tomorrow for emergencies, at 10:00
> am. And that is a 50$ cab ride away. there doesnt seem to be any bleeding
> now.
> she is acting more normal too, she was resting, and is now sitting down and
> even purred when i pet her. she is an indoor cat, but likes to climb on
> things and jump around so the only thing i can figure is that she knocked
> it. it only seems to be that one tooth. it is laying flat backwards. i took
> away her food. she is now kneading the blanket on the couch and going in
> circles which is unlike her but seems like a good thing even though it is
> strange for her. i hate having to wait so long, i know i wont be able to
> sleep.

If the tooth is laying flat, it's out of the socket- you can probably
just reach in there and pull it the rest of the way out. Take the cat
in asap as it can become abscessed.

-L.

Angela St.Aubin
May 14th 06, 04:32 PM
We just got home from meeting with on call emergency vet at the animal
hospital a few towns over. He pulled out josies tooth . the tooth was
broken, so there is a good chance that part of it is still below her gum
line. he said to get it out would be painful and expensive, and require
surgery, and that it should be fine to leave it as it is. It bled alot and
she was not pleased. She also did not like the thermometer up her butt. she
got a shot of antibiotics. i also bought 3 treatments of revolution, one for
each cat, to hopefully take care of their ear mites once and for all. all
that and cabfare both ways was about 250$ which while a lot for someone on
low income like me, was less then i expected. it would have been more if i
had them do more tests, the total extraction, sedation or things like that.
she must smell like the vet now as the other cats are hissing at her, so i
closed them in the bedroom for a bit to let her relax.

Toni
May 14th 06, 05:24 PM
"Angela St.Aubin" > wrote in message
> We just got home from meeting with on call emergency vet at the animal
> hospital a few towns over. He pulled out josies tooth . the tooth was
> broken, so there is a good chance that part of it is still below her gum
> line. he said to get it out would be painful and expensive, and require
> surgery, and that it should be fine to leave it as it is. It bled alot and
> she was not pleased. She also did not like the thermometer up her butt.
> she
> got a shot of antibiotics. i also bought 3 treatments of revolution, one
> for
> each cat, to hopefully take care of their ear mites once and for all. all
> that and cabfare both ways was about 250$ which while a lot for someone on
> low income like me, was less then i expected. it would have been more if i
> had them do more tests, the total extraction, sedation or things like
> that.
> she must smell like the vet now as the other cats are hissing at her, so i
> closed them in the bedroom for a bit to let her relax.

Rhonda
May 14th 06, 07:15 PM
I'll bet everyone feels better now. Did you get any sleep?

I hope this takes care of it and that she is feeling good.

Rhonda

Angela St.Aubin wrote:

> We just got home from meeting with on call emergency vet at the animal
> hospital a few towns over. He pulled out josies tooth . the tooth was
> broken, so there is a good chance that part of it is still below her gum
> line. he said to get it out would be painful and expensive, and require
> surgery, and that it should be fine to leave it as it is. It bled alot and
> she was not pleased. She also did not like the thermometer up her butt. she
> got a shot of antibiotics. i also bought 3 treatments of revolution, one for
> each cat, to hopefully take care of their ear mites once and for all. all
> that and cabfare both ways was about 250$ which while a lot for someone on
> low income like me, was less then i expected. it would have been more if i
> had them do more tests, the total extraction, sedation or things like that.
> she must smell like the vet now as the other cats are hissing at her, so i
> closed them in the bedroom for a bit to let her relax.

cybercat
May 14th 06, 08:02 PM
"Angela St.Aubin" > wrote in message
> We just got home from meeting with on call emergency vet at the animal
> hospital a few towns over. He pulled out josies tooth . the tooth was
> broken, so there is a good chance that part of it is still below her gum
> line. he said to get it out would be painful and expensive, and require
> surgery, and that it should be fine to leave it as it is.

You are a fine cat mom and a stellar human being. Josie is lucky to have
you. You can bet she was in pain.

Angela St.Aubin
May 14th 06, 09:42 PM
I am glad it is over with (at least for now) and she seems okay, she has
been sleeping mostly, but also ate some soft food. One of the other cats is
still hissing at her, so I am keeping them separate.