PDA

View Full Version : Caloric needs of cats?

Kiran
May 15th 06, 07:34 AM
Sometime ago, I had a posted a question about how much to feed a cat.
The response I rememebr (from Phil and others) was 20 Kcal per lb of
body weight per day, for a neutered adult. So, for a 5 lb cat it would
be 100 Kcal per day.

However, it struck me that the calculator at

http://www.petdiets.com/default.asp?Menu=Nutrition&Submenu=DER&PageName=
/calculate/der.asp

gives 155 Kcal for the same 5 lb cat.

The difference seems a bit too karge.

Is this just a difference of opinion or are they talking about
different things (can't imagine how)?

Thanks.

Phil P.
May 15th 06, 10:00 AM
"Kiran" > wrote in message
> Sometime ago, I had a posted a question about how much to feed a cat.
> The response I rememebr (from Phil and others) was 20 Kcal per lb of
> body weight per day, for a neutered adult. So, for a 5 lb cat it would
> be 100 Kcal per day.
>
> However, it struck me that the calculator at
>
> http://www.petdiets.com/default.asp?Menu=Nutrition&Submenu=DER&PageName=
> /calculate/der.asp
>
> gives 155 Kcal for the same 5 lb cat.
>
> The difference seems a bit too karge.
>
> Is this just a difference of opinion or are they talking about
> different things (can't imagine how)?

The "calculator" is based on outdated information. Neutered cats require
about 1/3 less kcals. That's why so many cats are overweight or obese.

Phil

Kiran
May 15th 06, 07:27 PM
Phil P. > wrote:

: "Kiran" > wrote
: > Sometime ago, I had a posted a question about how much to feed a cat.
: > The response I rememebr (from Phil and others) was 20 Kcal per lb of
: > body weight per day, for a neutered adult. So, for a 5 lb cat it would
: > be 100 Kcal per day...The calculator at
:
: The "calculator" is based on outdated information. Neutered cats require
: about 1/3 less kcals. That's why so many cats are overweight or obese.
:
: Phil

Thanks Phil. So it is 100 Kcal per day for 5 lb neutered adult.