PDA

View Full Version : Diagnose Limping Cat

Ard
May 16th 06, 01:12 PM
I'm hoping that someone can offer a diagnosis for my limping cat. She
is a 13 year old, indoor cat who is limping on her left rear leg. She
walks with the lower bone (the part just above her pad) almost parallel
to the ground. It is if she cannot put weight on her pad or the joint
above the pad. Most cats bend that joint to about 70 degrees. She just
thumps along, sometimes putting the "elbow joint" down
simultaneously or even before the pad. This has been going on for 6
months but seems to be worsening the last week.

Out vet has no clear diagnosis. Our cat's blood work is fine and
x-rays show no major bone or joint problems. It is not a hip problem
since she can scratch OK. The vet says that she is not in pain, since
his moving the leg caused her no discomfort.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions to what we can do for her.
There is a vet in our area who does acupuncture. Has anyone tried this
successfully?

stan beck
May 16th 06, 01:43 PM
Does your kitty walk differently throughout the day. In other words,
when she first wakes up, is she walking differently then toward the end
of the day?

Stan

www.Kitten-Pictures.com
The most adorable kitten pictures on the net!

Ard
May 16th 06, 03:41 PM
I think that is worse in the morning, but man not really sure.

Buddy
May 16th 06, 04:24 PM
Did they check for kidney problems in the blood tests? I once had a
kitty who limped with the back leg who was later diagnosed with kidney
failure. Also was the cat checked for thyroid problems? My
hyperthyroid cat limped towards the end.

Barb
May 16th 06, 04:44 PM
Maybe get a second opinion?

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Anna via CatKB.com
May 16th 06, 05:09 PM
>simultaneously or even before the pad. This has been going on for 6
>months but seems to be worsening the last week.
>Out vet has no clear diagnosis. Our cat's blood work is fine and
>x-rays show no major bone or joint problems. It is not a hip problem

Some conditions that cause back leg weakness are arthritis, diabetes, kidney
disease (the back leg weakness in kidney disease can be a result of low
potassium, high phosphorus, metabolic acidosis or anemia). You said you had
blood work done and it is fine - perhaps you should ask for a copy to see
some oft the numbers - creatinine, BUN, phosphorus, potassium and glucose at
least; I trust he did a urinalysis also? It's needed to help to diagnose
kidney disease and diabetes. You may need to seek a second opinion if your
present vet is offering no solution.