PDA

View Full Version : Is 4 1/4" opening sufficient for most cats to pass through?

Ajanta
May 16th 06, 09:38 PM
Please help!

There are so many cat lovers here and at least some of you must have
cat doors. I need to install one before next winter, so the cat I feed
wouldn't have to wait outside on a snowy windy porch before I spot her.
However, I don't want to wait until winter and I will have some help in
June as well.

The Petsafe Ultimate Small cat door, their best quality, has an opening
of 4.25 x 7". The small size is attractive to keep out weather and
undesired animals like racoons, but my worry is, is 4.25" enough for
most cats to squeeze in? (We may get other cats in future and wouldn't
want to change the cat door.)

If you know cats and cat doors, please respond!

Cal
May 17th 06, 12:20 AM
I have 2 kitty doors. 1 to the garage and open the screen porch in the
slider. I got the medium size. I have a large baby 22lbs and I was
paranoid he wouldn't fit in the door and get stuck. The other cats
open it just fine.

Ajanta
May 17th 06, 04:31 AM
Cal > wrote:

: I have 2 kitty doors. 1 to the garage and open the screen porch in the
: slider. I got the medium size. I have a large baby 22lbs and I was
: paranoid he wouldn't fit in the door and get stuck. The other cats
: open it just fine.

Thanks Cal. You didn't specify if it is Petsafe Ultimate? The medium
size in this line has an opening 8" wide. I would not worry about that.
I am considering small size, to keep out raccoons etc. The opening is 4
1/4" wide. That's what I am trying to determine, if it would
accommodate average cats.

Petsafe also has a Classic line. The small size theer has an opening 5"
wide, a little better.

However, Ultimate is their best line, so if some experienced person
would say cats can squeeze through 4 1/4", I would get that.

Ellie Bentley
May 17th 06, 09:51 AM
Ajanta wrote:
> my worry is, is 4.25" enough for most cats to squeeze in?

Hi Ajanta,

4.25" seems a bit narrow to me, though it would be an overweight or a
naturally unusually large breed of cat that could not get through it.
The height of 7" is very good - unnecessarily high, in fact, unless the
cavity is to go through a thick wall.

We have a network of three cat-flaps in doors and walls for the
convenience of our cats and all are a comfortable 5" wide and either 5"
or 6" tall.

Good luck.

Ellie.