PDA

View Full Version : Cat won't poop in litter box!

Gaeriel_Aleigh
May 17th 06, 11:32 PM
Scamper is about 4-5 years old. He's always been really good about using
his litter box (unless it got too dirty) until last June. In June my family
went on vacation and us girls were gone six weeks. During that time my
brothers didn't clean his litter box once. During that time he started to use
the bathroom on the floor. After I got home and cleaned everything up, he was
fine for awhile. Then, a few months later, he refused to use the litter box
at all if the top was on. So I left the top off and he was fine for awhile.
Now he'll pee in the litter box and poop on the floor next to it. I don't
know what to do. I clean the carpet and treat it with an odor and stain
remover but it doesn't help.
My mom says I'll have to get rid of him if he doesn't stop! I have a few
months lee-way since he spends sunny days outside in the summer, but I need
to get this taken care of. Can anyone help me?

Anna via CatKB.com
May 17th 06, 11:53 PM
>Now he'll pee in the litter box and poop on the floor next to it. I don't
>know what to do. I clean the carpet and treat it with an odor and stain
>remover but it doesn't help.

Try giving him another litter box. Some cats like to pee in one and poop in
another. If you happen to be around when he's about to go on the floor, pick
him up quickly and put him into the box. Once he does his poop in there,
praise him and give him a treat. Positive reinforcement like this can do
wonders.

Gaeriel_Aleigh
May 18th 06, 12:00 AM
Anna wrote:
>>Now he'll pee in the litter box and poop on the floor next to it. I don't
>>know what to do. I clean the carpet and treat it with an odor and stain
>>remover but it doesn't help.
>
>Try giving him another litter box. Some cats like to pee in one and poop in
>another. If you happen to be around when he's about to go on the floor, pick
>him up quickly and put him into the box. Once he does his poop in there,
>praise him and give him a treat. Positive reinforcement like this can do
>wonders.

I've tried that, it hasn't worked.

Gail
May 18th 06, 03:01 AM
He should be seen by a vet to rule out a physical problem.
Gail
"Gaeriel_Aleigh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Anna wrote:
>>>Now he'll pee in the litter box and poop on the floor next to it. I don't
>>>know what to do. I clean the carpet and treat it with an odor and stain
>>>remover but it doesn't help.
>>
>>Try giving him another litter box. Some cats like to pee in one and poop
>>in
>>another. If you happen to be around when he's about to go on the floor,
>>pick
>>him up quickly and put him into the box. Once he does his poop in there,
>>praise him and give him a treat. Positive reinforcement like this can do
>>wonders.
>

> I've tried that, it hasn't worked.

Judy
May 19th 06, 03:28 AM
"Gaeriel_Aleigh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Scamper is about 4-5 years old. He's always been really good about
> using
> his litter box (unless it got too dirty) until last June. In June my
> family
> went on vacation and us girls were gone six weeks. During that time my
> brothers didn't clean his litter box once. During that time he started to
> use
> the bathroom on the floor. After I got home and cleaned everything up, he
> was
> fine for awhile. Then, a few months later, he refused to use the litter
> box
> at all if the top was on. So I left the top off and he was fine for
> awhile.
> Now he'll pee in the litter box and poop on the floor next to it. I don't
> know what to do. I clean the carpet and treat it with an odor and stain
> remover but it doesn't help.
> My mom says I'll have to get rid of him if he doesn't stop! I have a
> few
> months lee-way since he spends sunny days outside in the summer, but I
> need
> to get this taken care of. Can anyone help me?

Why not give your vet a call and explain the situation? His problem could be
a medical one that needs to be addressed. Or, it could be that when it comes
to litter boxes that he'd prefer to have more than one. Matilda prefers two
boxes. One is designated for pee and the other is for poo.

Try adding a second box.