PDA

View Full Version : Found Stray Kittens: What to Do

Larry R Harrison Jr
May 18th 06, 04:17 AM
We live out in the middle of nowhere in a trailer, and this trailer does
have "skirting" around most of it but there is an opening where animals
whatever could up underneath. We heard some crazy meowing tonight, crying
really, and found these stray kittens up underneath.

They are VERY young, probably about as long as my middle finger (I do have
pretty long fingers). They wouldn't eat the soft food we gave them. They
were meowing hysterically.

How can we take care of them? Is there a chance the mama cat may come back
looking for them and take care of them? Should we maybe feed them from an
eyedrop full of milk, or what?

Right now my inclination is to return them to the crawl space underneath the
trailer, but inside a box where they wouldn't get away loose but with the
top open to where the mother cat could get inside to retrive/feed them etc
if need be.

Tips?

LRH

Sherri
May 18th 06, 04:52 AM
Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
> We live out in the middle of nowhere in a trailer, and this trailer does
> have "skirting" around most of it but there is an opening where animals
> whatever could up underneath. We heard some crazy meowing tonight, crying
> really, and found these stray kittens up underneath.
>
> They are VERY young, probably about as long as my middle finger (I do have
> pretty long fingers). They wouldn't eat the soft food we gave them. They
> were meowing hysterically.
>
> How can we take care of them? Is there a chance the mama cat may come back
> looking for them and take care of them? Should we maybe feed them from an
> eyedrop full of milk, or what?
>
> Right now my inclination is to return them to the crawl space underneath the
> trailer, but inside a box where they wouldn't get away loose but with the
> top open to where the mother cat could get inside to retrive/feed them etc
> if need be.
>
> Tips?
>
> LRH

Yes, put them back and leave them alone.If she hasnt return by morning
then let me know.

Wendy
May 18th 06, 12:39 PM
"Larry R Harrison Jr" > wrote in message
. com...
> We live out in the middle of nowhere in a trailer, and this trailer does
> have "skirting" around most of it but there is an opening where animals
> whatever could up underneath. We heard some crazy meowing tonight, crying
> really, and found these stray kittens up underneath.
>
> They are VERY young, probably about as long as my middle finger (I do have
> pretty long fingers). They wouldn't eat the soft food we gave them. They
> were meowing hysterically.
>
> How can we take care of them? Is there a chance the mama cat may come back
> looking for them and take care of them? Should we maybe feed them from an
> eyedrop full of milk, or what?
>
> Right now my inclination is to return them to the crawl space underneath
> the trailer, but inside a box where they wouldn't get away loose but with
> the top open to where the mother cat could get inside to retrive/feed them
> etc if need be.
>
> Tips?
>
> LRH

They sound like they are very young and either need mom to take care of them
or to be bottle/dropper fed KMR. Mom does the job so much better than
people.

Try contacting a rescue group and see if they can help you trap mom. She
really needs to be spayed once her kittens are weaned so she doesn't have
more litters out there. I don't know if they are going to be able to help
you or not because a lot of groups are totally swamped in kittens this time
of year but please try. Is it possible for you to foster this family if Mom
can be caught? If so you might have better luck getting a rescue to assist
you.

I know it's a pain and expensive to take on a family of kittens yourself and
bring it to a good conclusion. The mom and kittens need to be
spayed/neutered and found homes for or returned outside if the mom is too
feral to be kept inside. It is never the fault of the person who finds the
litter. Not their cat, not their irresponsibility that the cat never got
spayed before she got pregnant. However, if nothing is done, a lot of the
cats born outside and their moms will die an unpleasant death. Starvation,
injury, health problems will kill them slowly and painfully.