PDA

View Full Version : Otto is sick, lethargic

Elizabeth Blake
May 18th 06, 03:57 PM
Wednesday morning I put down Otto & Isaac's breakfast. Otto ate a tiny bit
and then threw up. Later, when I went into the bathroom to shower I saw
vomit all over the bath mat. I know it wasn't from Wednesday morning, since
he had barely eaten and had already puked that up in the kitchen. I guess
he puked Tuesday night after I had gone to bed. I thought he might be
working on a hairball, because he'll often vomit when he's ready to hack one
up. Usually he doesn't vomit right after eating, and tyhe hairballs that he
spits up are mostly hair and a little liquid.

Anyway, Wednesday night I get home and he doesn't want any dinner. Later he
puked up some white foamy liquid. All he wanted to do was sleep.

This morning I called the vet, they say they're booked and have nothing for
tomorrow either. I begged and she said she could fit me in at 6:15 today.
Otto didn't eat anything this morning and he's just sleeping now. He spent
all of last night curled up on his towel on the end table in my bedroom, one
of his favorite sleeping spots. After I woke up, I went to feed Isaac.
Went back in the bedroom and couldn't find Otto anywhere. Checked the whole
apartment and then finally found him curled in the little cat condo in the
bedroom. He's never gone into that floor level cubby before so I know he's
not feeling good.

He also has weird diarrhea. He's not producing much of it, but it's kind of
gelatinous (sp?). It's not muddy, it looks more clear and gooey (but still
brown). I couldn't get any to take with me for a sample, since it's just a
small amount every time.

Other than a couple of eye infections early on in his first year, this is
the first time he's been ill. I'm feeling guilty, thinking maybe he caught
something from Isaac and it's just taken a couple of weeks to show up.
Isaac has been symptom free of his URI/virus for several weeks now and Otto
is acting completely different than Isaac was.

When I called for the vet appointment, the woman who answered asked me if it
was possible that he had gotten into something he shouldn't have, but
there's nothing around for him to get into. He's not the type to chew on
stuff, all cleaners are safely inside a cabinet.
--
Liz

cybercat
May 18th 06, 04:24 PM
"Elizabeth Blake" >

> When I called for the vet appointment, the woman who answered asked me if
it
> was possible that he had gotten into something he shouldn't have

This sure is what it sounds like to me. I had a cat that acted
the same way, from the repeat vomiting to the weird stool
and the hiding. It was a plant she ate part of. They checked
her and gave her pills to stop her from throwing up and
she was fine. This was actually the only time that cat had
to be taken to the vet for illness in the 20 years she lived.

Sherri
May 19th 06, 12:58 AM
Elizabeth Blake wrote:
> Wednesday morning I put down Otto & Isaac's breakfast. Otto ate a tiny bit
> and then threw up. Later, when I went into the bathroom to shower I saw
> vomit all over the bath mat. I know it wasn't from Wednesday morning, since
> he had barely eaten and had already puked that up in the kitchen. I guess
> he puked Tuesday night after I had gone to bed. I thought he might be
> working on a hairball, because he'll often vomit when he's ready to hack one
> up. Usually he doesn't vomit right after eating, and tyhe hairballs that he
> spits up are mostly hair and a little liquid.
>
> Anyway, Wednesday night I get home and he doesn't want any dinner. Later he
> puked up some white foamy liquid. All he wanted to do was sleep.
>
> This morning I called the vet, they say they're booked and have nothing for
> tomorrow either. I begged and she said she could fit me in at 6:15 today.
> Otto didn't eat anything this morning and he's just sleeping now. He spent
> all of last night curled up on his towel on the end table in my bedroom, one
> of his favorite sleeping spots. After I woke up, I went to feed Isaac.
> Went back in the bedroom and couldn't find Otto anywhere. Checked the whole
> apartment and then finally found him curled in the little cat condo in the
> bedroom. He's never gone into that floor level cubby before so I know he's
> not feeling good.
>
> He also has weird diarrhea. He's not producing much of it, but it's kind of
> gelatinous (sp?). It's not muddy, it looks more clear and gooey (but still
> brown). I couldn't get any to take with me for a sample, since it's just a
> small amount every time.
>
> Other than a couple of eye infections early on in his first year, this is
> the first time he's been ill. I'm feeling guilty, thinking maybe he caught
> something from Isaac and it's just taken a couple of weeks to show up.
> Isaac has been symptom free of his URI/virus for several weeks now and Otto
> is acting completely different than Isaac was.
>
> When I called for the vet appointment, the woman who answered asked me if it
> was possible that he had gotten into something he shouldn't have, but
> there's nothing around for him to get into. He's not the type to chew on
> stuff, all cleaners are safely inside a cabinet.
> --
> Liz

How's Otto ? What did the vet say?

Elizabeth Blake
May 19th 06, 01:42 AM
"Sherri" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> How's Otto ? What did the vet say?

The vet said it was probably colitis. I just looked it up and he does have
a lot of the symptoms. He sent me home with Flagyl and Reglan, to be given
1/2 hour before he eats twice a day. I also got some prescription I/D
canned food, and the vet said to also try baby food to encourage him to eat.
By the time we got back the supermarket was closed, so I just put down some
of the rx food for him. He seemed excited about food but only ate a little.
I bought some chicken breasts earlier today so I put some in the food
processor and ground it up, cooked it and put some on top of the food. He
is now happily eating away for the first time in two days.

The vet got a stool sample, gave him some injections (now I forget what they
were for) and sub-q fluids. After seeing the bill ($49 for the damn
fluids!!) I was ****ed, because I have 2 full bags of lactated ringers at
home, from my cat Tiger who passed away in March. I could have saved $49 by
doing it myself but I was so upset I wasn't even thinking.

The vet seemed pretty certain that this is a one time thing and that Otto
will be feeling fine in a few days. I'm to bring him in if he still won't
eat (but he's doing that right now, and hopefully will eat enough of it) or
doesn't seem any better. I'll call for the fecal sample results on Monday
(I think that's when he said to call).

Otto just walked out of the kitchen. He didn't eat a whole lot, but now
he's hanging out by the bathroom/bedroom in one of his old favorite spots
instead of hiding somewhere, so that's a good sign.

I've got to put his leftovers in the fridge before letting Isaac out of the
bedroom, because he'll head right for them! I'll give the bowl back to Otto
one more time in a little while to see if he wants any more.

--
Liz

Anna via CatKB.com
May 19th 06, 01:54 AM
>The vet said it was probably colitis. I just looked it up and he does have
>a lot of the symptoms. He sent me home with Flagyl and Reglan, to be given
>1/2 hour before he eats twice a day. I also got some prescription I/D
>canned food, and the vet said to also try baby food to encourage him to eat.
>The vet seemed pretty certain that this is a one time thing and that Otto
>will be feeling fine in a few days. I'm to bring him in if he still won't
>eat (but he's doing that right now, and hopefully will eat enough of it) or

Happy to hear he's going to be okay. I know that "whew" feeling when you
find out something's not as bad as you thought it could be. They sure know
how to worry us don't they?

Elizabeth Blake
May 19th 06, 04:39 AM
"Anna via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

> Happy to hear he's going to be okay. I know that "whew" feeling when you
> find out something's not as bad as you thought it could be. They sure
> know
> how to worry us don't they?
>
> --

I'll be happy when he's back to eating normally and stops sleeping all day.
I offered him his dinner leftovers but he didn't want them. At least he ate
something tonight, and tomorrow I'm going to pick up some baby food for him
as the vet suggested.

--
Liz

Lesley
May 19th 06, 10:15 AM
Elizabeth Blake wrote:
> " At least he ate
> something tonight, and tomorrow I'm going to pick up some baby food for him
> as the vet suggested.

You probably know this but just in case don't forget the check baby
food for onions. I was recommended it once for a sick cat and found it
quite hard to find one that didn't have onion in it. I did in the end
through and she hoovered the stuff up!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Barb
May 21st 06, 10:52 PM
You called the vet and told them these things and they said they were booked
today and tomorrow, too, and you had to beg to get an appointment? If your
cats are regular patients of theirs- well, if it were I, I would be
incensed.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Elizabeth Blake
May 22nd 06, 01:32 AM
"Barb" > wrote in message
erio.net...
> You called the vet and told them these things and they said they were
> booked
> today and tomorrow, too, and you had to beg to get an appointment? If
> your
> cats are regular patients of theirs- well, if it were I, I would be
> incensed.

Well, when I called of course I didn't speak to a vet, just the woman at the
front desk. I also only began using this vet late last year when I first
noticed that Tiger was acting off. I wasn't pleased with either of the
previous vets I had been using. Back in 2001 or 2002 I had brought Otto to
the current vet the day after Christmas, because my vet at the time was on
vacation. On Christmas Otto's eye puffed up and looked like a prop from a
horror movie. I was really mad when I called my regular vet and only got a
message saying they were closed until after the New Year, and recommended
another vet in a different city. I checked the Yellow Pages and found the
place I'm currently using, and got an appointment right away. For some
reason I then went back to the original vet, and soon after switched to yet
another (who was closer than the current one). That last office I didn't
like at all. When Tiger got sick in December I remembered bringing Otto to
our current vet and decided to go back to them even though they were the
farthest away of the three.

I like this current office because they're open 7 days a week and there's
more than one vet.

Otto is now pretty much back to normal just like the vet predicted. No more
diarrhea and he's eating his regular food, although he now thinks he's going
to get tuna juice or chicken with it every time.

--
Liz

Barb
May 22nd 06, 04:40 PM
I'm so glad Otto is all back to normal. All's well that ends well.
However, what good is it if your vet is open 24/7 but with such a sick cat
they are too busy to see you? My vet has office hours but also gives us his
beeper number for emergency. If you feel that the problem lies with the
person that answered the phone perhaps you should discuss that with the vet.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,