PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the warning on lilies

May 18th 06, 07:45 PM
Someone posted a warning on lily pollen being poisonous to cats.
Thanks for the warning.

Even if you dont ever buy lilies, sometimes people bring them.
Its useful to know.

DB

chas
May 21st 06, 12:42 PM
I posted a warning a while back so I'm glad it was of help.

Despite all my years of being owned by various cats it was something I had
not known about until I read a news article about a cat that had become a
victim of lilies. I personally do not like lillies anyway so would not have
them indoors or in my garden. But there's always the chance a well meaning
person would bring me some - I'm so glad I now know the danger.

chas

May 21st 06, 09:47 PM
chas wrote:
> I posted a warning a while back so I'm glad it was of help.
>
> Despite all my years of being owned by various cats it was something I had
> not known about until I read a news article about a cat that had become a
> victim of lilies. I personally do not like lillies anyway so would not have
> them indoors or in my garden. But there's always the chance a well meaning
> person would bring me some - I'm so glad I now know the danger.
>
> chas

It isnt something I would have thought about. They are often in
bouquets.

By the same token - would guess that saffron is also poisonous to cats?

Matthew aka NMR
May 21st 06, 09:53 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

> chas wrote:
>> I posted a warning a while back so I'm glad it was of help.
>>
>> Despite all my years of being owned by various cats it was something I
>> had
>> not known about until I read a news article about a cat that had become a
>> victim of lilies. I personally do not like lillies anyway so would not
>> have
>> them indoors or in my garden. But there's always the chance a well
>> meaning
>> person would bring me some - I'm so glad I now know the danger.
>>
>> chas
>
> It isnt something I would have thought about. They are often in
> bouquets.
>
> By the same token - would guess that saffron is also poisonous to cats?

IMO as a rule I always treat all house plants as poisonous I don't allow
any of the furballs anywhere near one just in case.

May 22nd 06, 07:15 AM
Matthew aka NMR wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > chas wrote:
> >> I posted a warning a while back so I'm glad it was of help.
> >>
> >> Despite all my years of being owned by various cats it was something I
> >> had
> >> not known about until I read a news article about a cat that had become a
> >> victim of lilies. I personally do not like lillies anyway so would not
> >> have
> >> them indoors or in my garden. But there's always the chance a well
> >> meaning
> >> person would bring me some - I'm so glad I now know the danger.
> >>
> >> chas
> >
> > It isnt something I would have thought about. They are often in
> > bouquets.
> >
> > By the same token - would guess that saffron is also poisonous to cats?
> >
> IMO as a rule I always treat all house plants as poisonous I don't allow
> any of the furballs anywhere near one just in case.

Saffron - was thinking of the spice. Not that the cat is likely to get
any, but makes sense to be aware. Its lily stamens.

cybercat
May 22nd 06, 02:59 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Matthew aka NMR wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > ups.com...

> > > It isnt something I would have thought about. They are often in
> > > bouquets.
> > >
> > > By the same token - would guess that saffron is also poisonous to
cats?

> > IMO as a rule I always treat all house plants as poisonous I don't
allow
> > any of the furballs anywhere near one just in case.
>
> Saffron - was thinking of the spice. Not that the cat is likely to get
> any, but makes sense to be aware. Its lily stamens.

Actually, I have a learned friend who told me that it comes from crocus
stamens. Lots of people grow these bulbs in pots in the spring. But I think
the ones that are used for the spice are a certain variety. Sativa, maybe?

May 22nd 06, 07:47 PM
cybercat wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > Saffron - was thinking of the spice. Not that the cat is likely to get
> > any, but makes sense to be aware. Its lily stamens.
> >

> Actually, I have a learned friend who told me that it comes from crocus
> stamens. Lots of people grow these bulbs in pots in the spring. But I think
> the ones that are used for the spice are a certain variety. Sativa, maybe?

Youre right. Cat-safe, then?

cybercat
May 22nd 06, 08:26 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
> > > wrote in message
>
> > > Saffron - was thinking of the spice. Not that the cat is likely to get
> > > any, but makes sense to be aware. Its lily stamens.
> > >

> > Actually, I have a learned friend who told me that it comes from crocus
> > stamens. Lots of people grow these bulbs in pots in the spring. But I
think
> > the ones that are used for the spice are a certain variety. Sativa,
maybe?

> Youre right. Cat-safe, then?

I am not sure! Let's do some research and report back! It seems important
because
these plants are so common, they grow wild in many places.

chas
May 23rd 06, 06:33 PM
Just going back to the lilies - it's the ENTIRE plant, not just the stamens
or pollen.

I've also recently discovered azaleas are poisonous to cats - but I don't
believe the danger is as acute as lilies. I think they would have to eat the
azalea rather than just brush past it as with lillies.

chas

Matthew aka NMR
May 23rd 06, 10:24 PM
Both are the entire plant and both are poisonous to cats
"chas" > wrote in message
> Just going back to the lilies - it's the ENTIRE plant, not just the
> stamens or pollen.
>
> I've also recently discovered azaleas are poisonous to cats - but I don't
> believe the danger is as acute as lilies. I think they would have to eat
> the azalea rather than just brush past it as with lillies.
>
> chas

BulletProof
May 24th 06, 03:47 AM
Matthew aka NMR wrote:
> Both are the entire plant and both are poisonous to cats

well aren't you just the perfect little friend for a cat

Matthew aka NMR
May 24th 06, 03:56 AM
"BulletProof" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Matthew aka NMR wrote:
>> Both are the entire plant and both are poisonous to cats
>
> well aren't you just the perfect little friend for a cat

You know it I and I will admit it in a heart beat just like yourself and
you know it to :-)