PDA

View Full Version : Poisonous/Dangerous plants

Kiran
May 18th 06, 08:23 PM
Is there a list available of yard / garden plants that are poisonous or
dangerous for cats and should be avoided?

So far we only had grass. Some reorganization of the property has
opened up a little space for plants and I want to be careful with
respect to our kitty.

Matthew aka NMR
May 18th 06, 08:25 PM
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/protect_your_pet_from_common_household_dangers/common_poisonous_plants.html

Joan in GB-W
May 19th 06, 04:22 AM
"Kiran" > wrote in message
> Is there a list available of yard / garden plants that are poisonous or
> dangerous for cats and should be avoided?
>
> So far we only had grass. Some reorganization of the property has
> opened up a little space for plants and I want to be careful with
> respect to our kitty.

Most list of poisonous plants for cats list the Jerusalem Cherry. My cat
Winston loves the ripe (I think it's the unripe that are dangerous, but I
wouldn't take chances if I were you) cherries and usually strips my plant if
I don't get it out of his way. Interestingly I often find the remains of
the cherries around the plant . . . meaning Winston eats the cherry and
spits out the seeds on the counter or floor. Makes me think the seeds are
poisonous and Winston knows it.

Joan

Poison Ivy
May 19th 06, 05:03 AM
"Kiran" > wrote in message

> Is there a list available of yard / garden plants that are poisonous or
> dangerous for cats and should be avoided?

Absolutely. All lists of poisonous plants harmful to cats should be avoided.
Cats must be subjected to dangerous plants in order to ensure they become
liable to Darwinian pressures. It's the natural way.

> So far we only had grass.

A move to "harder" substances, such as LSD or ketamine is inevitable. Please
avail yourself of the Government pamphlet "The Danger Of Drugs".

> Some reorganization of the property has opened up a little space
> for plants and I want to be careful with respect to our kitty.

If I were you I'd take no chances. It's probably best to have your kitty put
down NOW, nice and quick. Rather that than a possible 48-hour writhing,
agonizing death just because it ate some plant or other.

PS
One plant which I can absolutely recommend as being safe is the Jerusalem
Cherry. Delicious and nutricious, and very pretty.

Char
May 19th 06, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the link :)
I have been trying to look up Dwarf Sweet Pea's (flowers) one site said
toxic, while 3 sites didnt include it,
also including the one link you posted, so does anyone here know for sure if
these would be safe to plant where kitty can reach them.
thanks,
Char

"Matthew aka NMR" > wrote in message

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/protect_your_pet_from_common_household_dangers/common_poisonous_plants.html

Matthew aka NMR
May 19th 06, 04:52 PM
Worse come to worse you can contact the poison control and ask them but they
charge

"Char" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Thanks for the link :)
> I have been trying to look up Dwarf Sweet Pea's (flowers) one site said
> toxic, while 3 sites didnt include it,
> also including the one link you posted, so does anyone here know for sure
> if
> these would be safe to plant where kitty can reach them.
> thanks,
> Char
>
> "Matthew aka NMR" > wrote in message
>>
> http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/protect_your_pet_from_common_household_dangers/common_poisonous_plants.html

RPS
May 19th 06, 07:31 PM
Matthew aka NMR > wrote:

: http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/protect_your_pet_from_common_household_dange
: rs/common_poisonous_plants.html

Great link, but darn my wife just planted three Azaleas, anybody know
just how bad or dangerous they are?

Char
May 19th 06, 09:13 PM
humm...I think I'll call my vet, they are pretty friendly here, they might
let me know if they are not too busy.
There is a cats only clinic just down the road I take Ebony to, they know
her and I pretty good.

She just went through a bad spell in november with a blocked up anal gland,
she had to have surgery and I found out the hard way, she was allergic to an
antibiotic they injected her with . She was sooooo sick for about 3 days.
Had to postpone the surgery till she got over her symptoms. Poor girl. I
felt so bad for her.
After the surgery I had to take 4 days off work, apply warm compresses every
4 hours, night and day, to the drainage tubes and incision sites . I couldnt
bear to leave her alone to go to work.
The only symptoms she had were lethargy. There was very little discharge and
what clued me in was she got a high fever and because I am always petting
her and cuddling her, I noticed a change in her body temp immediately,
especially in the ears, I kiss her ears and they were pretty hot.
'Shes great now though! Back to normal.

thanks Matthew. :)

"Matthew aka NMR" > wrote in message
.. .
> Worse come to worse you can contact the poison control and ask them but
they
> charge
>

> "Char" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Thanks for the link :)
> > I have been trying to look up Dwarf Sweet Pea's (flowers) one site said
> > toxic, while 3 sites didnt include it,
> > also including the one link you posted, so does anyone here know for
sure
> > if
> > these would be safe to plant where kitty can reach them.
> > thanks,
> > Char
> >
> > "Matthew aka NMR" > wrote in message

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/protect_your_pet_from_common_household_dangers/common_poisonous_plants.html

Matthew aka NMR
May 20th 06, 05:28 AM
The entire plant is extremely poisonous it is the third plant on the list
"RPS" > wrote in message
> Matthew aka NMR > wrote:
>
> :
> http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/protect_your_pet_from_common_household_dange
> : rs/common_poisonous_plants.html
>
> Great link, but darn my wife just planted three Azaleas, anybody know
> just how bad or dangerous they are?

oldhickory
May 20th 06, 08:40 PM
http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html
http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants-non-toxic.html

lots of good stuff on this website...

"Joan in GB-W" > wrote in message

> "Kiran" > wrote in message
>> Is there a list available of yard / garden plants that are poisonous or
>> dangerous for cats and should be avoided?
>>
>> So far we only had grass. Some reorganization of the property has
>> opened up a little space for plants and I want to be careful with
>> respect to our kitty.
>
> Most list of poisonous plants for cats list the Jerusalem Cherry. My cat
> Winston loves the ripe (I think it's the unripe that are dangerous, but I
> wouldn't take chances if I were you) cherries and usually strips my plant
> if
> I don't get it out of his way. Interestingly I often find the remains of
> the cherries around the plant . . . meaning Winston eats the cherry and
> spits out the seeds on the counter or floor. Makes me think the seeds are
> poisonous and Winston knows it.
>
> Joan

Christina Szeman
May 21st 06, 06:36 AM
Hello,

Thanks for the info. My mother and I just bought a new kitten at home and
the kitten did try to eat one of my mother's plants, until we both said no
and took it away from her. Now I know what information I should print and
give to my mom.

Christina

"Kiran" > wrote in message
> Is there a list available of yard / garden plants that are poisonous or
> dangerous for cats and should be avoided?
>
> So far we only had grass. Some reorganization of the property has
> opened up a little space for plants and I want to be careful with
> respect to our kitty.

Kiran
May 21st 06, 08:57 AM
: Is there a list available of yard / garden plants that are poisonous or
: dangerous for cats and should be avoided?

Answering my own question but here a few links I found:

<http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanagement101/l/bltoxicplants.htm>

<http://landscaping.about.com/od/poisonouslandscapeplants>

<http://www.wstm.com/Global/story.asp?S=3459215>

<http://www.thegardenhelper.com/catsndogs.htm>