PDA

View Full Version : Science Diet...


Joe Canuck
May 19th 06, 02:15 PM
10 lb bag of the dry Chicken & Rice formula...

At the Vet: $38.00

At Petsmart: $25.99

The vet ALWAYS has to order, Petsmart has it in stock. Is the increased
price the shipping charge or the vets outrageous markup? ...or some
combination.

Why purchase it at the vet's you say?

Because in that northern community the food isn't available anywhere
else and the nearest Petsmart is a 500 mile trip.

Joe <-- considering stocking up next time in the city by purchasing at
least 4 bags at a total savings of $48 which is almost enough to
purchase another 2 bags at $25.99.

Of course, 4 bags will last at least 48 weeks... so will likely be
getting very close to the expiry date on the last of the stocked up bags.

jmc
May 19th 06, 03:32 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Joe Canuck exclaimed (5/19/2006 9:15 AM):
> 10 lb bag of the dry Chicken & Rice formula...
>
> At the Vet: $38.00
>
> At Petsmart: $25.99
>
> The vet ALWAYS has to order, Petsmart has it in stock. Is the increased
> price the shipping charge or the vets outrageous markup? ...or some
> combination.
>
> Why purchase it at the vet's you say?
>
> Because in that northern community the food isn't available anywhere
> else and the nearest Petsmart is a 500 mile trip.
>
> Joe <-- considering stocking up next time in the city by purchasing at
> least 4 bags at a total savings of $48 which is almost enough to
> purchase another 2 bags at $25.99.
>
> Of course, 4 bags will last at least 48 weeks... so will likely be
> getting very close to the expiry date on the last of the stocked up bags.

You could order from Petsmart.com. By the sound of things, the shipping
charge would likely not put the cost up to what the vet is charging.

I get Meep's litter (Worlds Best) from Petsmart, online, sent to my APO
address. Silly fussy cat :)

jmc

RPS
May 19th 06, 04:16 PM
Joe Canuck > wrote:

: 10 lb bag of the dry Chicken & Rice formula...
:
: At the Vet: $38.00
:
: At Petsmart: $25.99
:
: The vet ALWAYS has to order, Petsmart has it in stock. Is the increased
: price the shipping charge or the vets outrageous markup? ...or some
: combination.
:
: Why purchase it at the vet's you say?
:
: Because in that northern community the food isn't available anywhere
: else and the nearest Petsmart is a 500 mile trip.

Well I guess that explains it. He doesn't have the volume to stock it
or save on shipping as Petsmart might. A fe wthings you can do: Check
Purina's website to see other stores near you, some might be closer
than Petsmart. You can order online. Or as you say below, stock up
during your visits to the city.

: Joe <-- considering stocking up next time in the city by purchasing at
: least 4 bags...
: Of course, 4 bags will last at least 48 weeks... so will likely be
: getting very close to the expiry date on the last of the stocked up bags.

They will last much more if frozen. Do you have the space in your
freezer or, if not, can you add a freezer?

May 19th 06, 04:24 PM
Joe Canuck > wrote:

>
>The vet ALWAYS has to order, Petsmart has it in stock. Is the increased
>price the shipping charge or the vets outrageous markup? ...or some
>combination.

Would the vet consider a volume discount?

-mhd