PDA

View Full Version : H.P. Lovecraft: The Cats of Ulthar

Brian Link
May 20th 06, 07:55 AM
I'm a big Lovecraft fan. If you haven't heard of him, he was a
pulp-fantasy writer of the early 20th century whose fame only grew
after his death. He's now regarded as a seminal horror/fantasy/sci-fi
giant in America.

I'd be grateful if someone could point out a compendium of fiction
revolving around cats - but failing that thought I'd post this.

(warning: utterly non-graphic but suggested cat-killing. Fortunately,
the cats get their revenge...)

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thecatsofulthar.htm

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Charlie Wilkes
May 21st 06, 05:27 AM
On Sat, 20 May 2006 01:55:13 -0500, Brian Link > wrote:

>I'm a big Lovecraft fan. If you haven't heard of him, he was a
>pulp-fantasy writer of the early 20th century whose fame only grew
>after his death. He's now regarded as a seminal horror/fantasy/sci-fi
>giant in America.
>
>I'd be grateful if someone could point out a compendium of fiction
>revolving around cats - but failing that thought I'd post this.
>
>(warning: utterly non-graphic but suggested cat-killing. Fortunately,
>the cats get their revenge...)
>
>http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thecatsofulthar.htm
>
>BLink
>--------------------------
>"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Far out, man! What an awesome web site. Gutenberg doesn't have
Lovecraft yet.

Have you seen "The Re-animator?" It's an 80s horror flick based on
Lovecraft's story by that name, and it's quite good. I remember the
tag line for the posters advertising the movie: "Herbert West has a
perfectly good head on his shoulders. And another one on his desk."

I have a book of reprints from Famous Fantastic Mysteries that
includes "The Call of Cthulhu" and "The Music of Erich Zann." Someone
wrote a novel about 10 years ago called "Smilla's Sense of Snow" that
is inspired by "The Call of Cthulhu." It was a best seller but not
very good IMO.

Charlie

Matthew aka NMR
May 21st 06, 05:28 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 May 2006 01:55:13 -0500, Brian Link > wrote:
>
>>I'm a big Lovecraft fan. If you haven't heard of him, he was a
>>pulp-fantasy writer of the early 20th century whose fame only grew
>>after his death. He's now regarded as a seminal horror/fantasy/sci-fi
>>giant in America.
>>
>>I'd be grateful if someone could point out a compendium of fiction
>>revolving around cats - but failing that thought I'd post this.
>>
>>(warning: utterly non-graphic but suggested cat-killing. Fortunately,
>>the cats get their revenge...)
>>
>>http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thecatsofulthar.htm
>>
>>BLink
>>--------------------------
>>"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"
>
> Far out, man! What an awesome web site. Gutenberg doesn't have
> Lovecraft yet.
>
> Have you seen "The Re-animator?" It's an 80s horror flick based on
> Lovecraft's story by that name, and it's quite good. I remember the
> tag line for the posters advertising the movie: "Herbert West has a
> perfectly good head on his shoulders. And another one on his desk."
>
> I have a book of reprints from Famous Fantastic Mysteries that
> includes "The Call of Cthulhu" and "The Music of Erich Zann." Someone
> wrote a novel about 10 years ago called "Smilla's Sense of Snow" that
> is inspired by "The Call of Cthulhu." It was a best seller but not
> very good IMO.
>
> Charlie

Charlie I see you are a scif fi freak like me Seen almost all the movies
based on his series of writings

Brian Link
May 22nd 06, 01:00 AM
On Sun, 21 May 2006 04:28:59 GMT, "Matthew aka NMR"
> wrote:

>"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 20 May 2006 01:55:13 -0500, Brian Link > wrote:
>>
>>>I'm a big Lovecraft fan. If you haven't heard of him, he was a
>>>pulp-fantasy writer of the early 20th century whose fame only grew
>>>after his death. He's now regarded as a seminal horror/fantasy/sci-fi
>>>giant in America.
>>>
>>>I'd be grateful if someone could point out a compendium of fiction
>>>revolving around cats - but failing that thought I'd post this.
>>>
>>>(warning: utterly non-graphic but suggested cat-killing. Fortunately,
>>>the cats get their revenge...)
>>>
>>>http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thecatsofulthar.htm
>>>
>>>BLink
>>>--------------------------
>>>"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"
>>
>> Far out, man! What an awesome web site. Gutenberg doesn't have
>> Lovecraft yet.
>>
>> Have you seen "The Re-animator?" It's an 80s horror flick based on
>> Lovecraft's story by that name, and it's quite good. I remember the
>> tag line for the posters advertising the movie: "Herbert West has a
>> perfectly good head on his shoulders. And another one on his desk."
>>
>> I have a book of reprints from Famous Fantastic Mysteries that
>> includes "The Call of Cthulhu" and "The Music of Erich Zann." Someone
>> wrote a novel about 10 years ago called "Smilla's Sense of Snow" that
>> is inspired by "The Call of Cthulhu." It was a best seller but not
>> very good IMO.
>>
>> Charlie
>
>Charlie I see you are a scif fi freak like me Seen almost all the movies
>based on his series of writings

I always thought "The Mouth of Madness" was the best film adaptation
of a Lovecraft novel so far.

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Magic Mood JeepŠ
May 22nd 06, 03:05 AM
Brian Link wrote:
> On Sun, 21 May 2006 04:28:59 GMT, "Matthew aka NMR"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message

>>> Far out, man! What an awesome web site. Gutenberg doesn't have
>>> Lovecraft yet.
>>>
>>> Have you seen "The Re-animator?" It's an 80s horror flick based on
>>> Lovecraft's story by that name, and it's quite good. I remember the
>>> tag line for the posters advertising the movie: "Herbert West has a
>>> perfectly good head on his shoulders. And another one on his desk."
>>>
>>> I have a book of reprints from Famous Fantastic Mysteries that
>>> includes "The Call of Cthulhu" and "The Music of Erich Zann."
>>> Someone wrote a novel about 10 years ago called "Smilla's Sense of
>>> Snow" that
>>> is inspired by "The Call of Cthulhu." It was a best seller but not
>>> very good IMO.
>>>
>>> Charlie
>>
>> Charlie I see you are a scif fi freak like me Seen almost all the
>> movies based on his series of writings
>>

> I always thought "The Mouth of Madness" was the best film adaptation
> of a Lovecraft novel so far.
>
> BLink
> "The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Dh has all of the Re-Animator movies on DVD, loves HP Lovecraft. Somewhere
I bought a Cthulu doll, like a Ty Beanie Baby, and he keeps it with his
Lovecraft collection, a first edition Necronomicon (for those of you that
don't know, here's an eBay listing for a second edition
http://cgi.ebay.com/Necronomicon-by-Simon-2nd-Edition-1980_W0QQitemZ4642035568QQcategoryZ378QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
and a Necro moc-up used in RPGs.