PDA

View Full Version : cats and dog food

Angela St.Aubin
May 20th 06, 08:10 PM
I am about to move out of town and me and my three cats will be sharing a
townhouse with a bichon frisse dog for 3 weeks or so. He is not a violent
dog, and is rather small, but is not very well trained. He is used to cats,
but my cats aren't used to dogs.
Mainly I am worried about them eating his dog food. They will eat anything
and everything, and he is free fed. Would it be dangerous for them to eat
his food for a few weeks? I would give them theirs too of course, but i
worry if they eat his they wont eat as much of theirs and i know they are
not made the same nationally. the other option is to keep them locked up in
the basement the whole time with their litter food and water, but i dont
want to have to do that.

CatNipped
May 20th 06, 09:08 PM
"Angela St.Aubin" > wrote in message
.. .
>I am about to move out of town and me and my three cats will be sharing a
> townhouse with a bichon frisse dog for 3 weeks or so. He is not a violent
> dog, and is rather small, but is not very well trained. He is used to
> cats,
> but my cats aren't used to dogs.
> Mainly I am worried about them eating his dog food. They will eat anything
> and everything, and he is free fed. Would it be dangerous for them to eat
> his food for a few weeks? I would give them theirs too of course, but i
> worry if they eat his they wont eat as much of theirs and i know they are
> not made the same nationally. the other option is to keep them locked up
> in
> the basement the whole time with their litter food and water, but i dont
> want to have to do that.

It would be better for them is they ate strictly their own food. Dog food
doesn't contain the necessary nutrients to maintain a healthy cat (taurine
is essential, a cat could go blind without it). Having said that, if they
have access to their own food, I don't think eating dog food also will harm
them if it's only for a week or two.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Angela St.Aubin
May 22nd 06, 04:02 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "Angela St.Aubin" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >I am about to move out of town and me and my three cats will be sharing a
> > townhouse with a bichon frisse dog for 3 weeks or so. He is not a
violent
> > dog, and is rather small, but is not very well trained. He is used to
> > cats,
> > but my cats aren't used to dogs.
> > Mainly I am worried about them eating his dog food. They will eat
anything
> > and everything, and he is free fed. Would it be dangerous for them to
eat
> > his food for a few weeks? I would give them theirs too of course, but i
> > worry if they eat his they wont eat as much of theirs and i know they
are
> > not made the same nationally. the other option is to keep them locked up
> > in
> > the basement the whole time with their litter food and water, but i dont
> > want to have to do that.
>
> It would be better for them is they ate strictly their own food. Dog food
> doesn't contain the necessary nutrients to maintain a healthy cat (taurine
> is essential, a cat could go blind without it). Having said that, if they
> have access to their own food, I don't think eating dog food also will
harm
> them if it's only for a week or two.
>
> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Thanks for the input.
I would provide them with their own food as usual,. but they have never been
around dog food so I dont know if they would like it and eat it a lot too
during the 2- 3 weeks.