PDA

View Full Version : Otto's not eating, medication questions

Elizabeth Blake
May 20th 06, 10:41 PM
My cat Otto, almost 7 years old, started acting weird Wednesday. On
Thursday he went to the vet who diagnosed colitis. He said it would
probably pass in a few days and it could have been brought on by stress.
Otto barely ate breakfast on Wednesday (and threw up what he did eat) and
did not eat dinner on Wednesday night, or breakfast THursday morning. He
went to the vet Thursday afternoon.

The vet gave me 2 prescriptions, Flagyl for his mucousy diarrhea and Reglan
for his appetite. Each pill was cut into quarters and I was told to give
him 1/4 pill half an hour before each meal. When Tiger crashed in March,
she was also prescribed 1/4 of Reglan twice a day but it did nothing for her
appetite.

So, Otto is still barely eating. This morning I decided to try his regular
food again instead of the Hill's I/D prescription. He ate a bit (Science
Diet chicken, I think) and then walked away. I opened a can of tuna and put
a little of the water on his food and he lapped it up. Later he kept
looking at me and got excited when I opened the fridge, so I gave him more.
I had put about 1/4 can of the food in his bowl and by putting tuna water in
it, he ate about half of that.

I'm going to pick up baby food on my way home from work to see if he'll eat
that. I don't think it's good to keep giving him tuna water, but will get
more tuna if that's the only way he'll eat. He's not even interested in the
fish, just the liquid. This morning was the most he's eaten since Tuesday.

Is 1/4 of a Reglan tablet too low a dose? And what's with the 1/4 Flagyl?
When I adopted Isaac last month he was sent home with Flagyl, and he was
getting a full pill at a time. I think it's good not to overmedicate, but
if he's being given such a low dose that it's not even helping, that's not
good either.

--
Liz

blkcatgal
May 21st 06, 01:33 AM
I'm sorry Otto still isn't feeling well. I always thought that Reglan was
for controlling vomiting, not to increase appetite. I really don't know much
about the dosage. Try the baby food. Make sure it doesn't contain onions.
Whenever my cat had a episode of vomiting and lack of appetite, he never
turned his nose up to baby food. If he doesn't start eating normally soon,
I'd talk to your vet.

Good luck.

Sue

"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
> My cat Otto, almost 7 years old, started acting weird Wednesday. On
> Thursday he went to the vet who diagnosed colitis. He said it would
> probably pass in a few days and it could have been brought on by stress.
> Otto barely ate breakfast on Wednesday (and threw up what he did eat) and
> did not eat dinner on Wednesday night, or breakfast THursday morning. He
> went to the vet Thursday afternoon.
>
> The vet gave me 2 prescriptions, Flagyl for his mucousy diarrhea and
> Reglan
> for his appetite. Each pill was cut into quarters and I was told to give
> him 1/4 pill half an hour before each meal. When Tiger crashed in March,
> she was also prescribed 1/4 of Reglan twice a day but it did nothing for
> her
> appetite.
>
> So, Otto is still barely eating. This morning I decided to try his
> regular
> food again instead of the Hill's I/D prescription. He ate a bit (Science
> Diet chicken, I think) and then walked away. I opened a can of tuna and
> put
> a little of the water on his food and he lapped it up. Later he kept
> looking at me and got excited when I opened the fridge, so I gave him
> more.
> I had put about 1/4 can of the food in his bowl and by putting tuna water
> in
> it, he ate about half of that.
>
> I'm going to pick up baby food on my way home from work to see if he'll
> eat
> that. I don't think it's good to keep giving him tuna water, but will get
> more tuna if that's the only way he'll eat. He's not even interested in
> the
> fish, just the liquid. This morning was the most he's eaten since
> Tuesday.
>
> Is 1/4 of a Reglan tablet too low a dose? And what's with the 1/4 Flagyl?
> When I adopted Isaac last month he was sent home with Flagyl, and he was
> getting a full pill at a time. I think it's good not to overmedicate, but
> if he's being given such a low dose that it's not even helping, that's not
> good either.
>
> --
> Liz

Elizabeth Blake
May 21st 06, 02:01 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'm sorry Otto still isn't feeling well. I always thought that Reglan was
> for controlling vomiting, not to increase appetite. I really don't know
> much about the dosage. Try the baby food. Make sure it doesn't contain
> onions. Whenever my cat had a episode of vomiting and lack of appetite, he
> never turned his nose up to baby food. If he doesn't start eating
> normally soon, I'd talk to your vet.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Sue

When Tiger crashed in March and now with Otto, the vet said he would give me
something to stimulate the appetite. Otto threw up Wednesday morning and
possibly Tuesday night, but nothing after that (except some white foamy
stuff) because he wasn't eating. Tiger hadn't been throwing up at all.

Tonight when I went to feed him, Otto was very excited and was even jumping
up at me. I bought some Gerber chicken baby food (chicken, water, corn
starch) and put it down. Nothing. I opened the fridge and he got very
excited again. I took out the container of tuna and poured some water on
the baby food, along with a few chunks of tuna. He lapped up the water and
the chunks that didn't fall into the baby food and wanted more. I pressed
out the last of the liquid and put more tuna chunks in and he ate them.
Then I got out the plain cooked ground chicken I made for him on Thursday
and put some of that in the bowl and he ate it all, so I just gave him some
more.

Hopefully he'll keep this up. He was very animated tonight which was good
to see. Tomorrow I might try him on some of his regular food again, with a
little tuna and/or chicken. Hopefully he'll be back to eating like normal
by Monday, which is what the vet predicted.

--
Liz

Char
May 21st 06, 07:05 AM
I sure hope he feels better soon Elizabeth.
Let us know how he makes out. Its a good sign he is still interested in
food.

Char