PDA

View Full Version : fleas in carpet

May 21st 06, 06:08 AM
need something strong to spray carpets...but not hurt my kitty.
something other than borax and yes, I've bombed more than three times.
..

Charlie Wilkes
May 21st 06, 09:06 AM
On 20 May 2006 22:08:51 -0700, " >
wrote:

>need something strong to spray carpets...but not hurt my kitty.
>something other than borax and yes, I've bombed more than three times.
>.
Get some of that pyrethrum dust and put lots of it down, then vacuum
it up later. They sell it in drug stores, grocery stores. Get about
3 cannisters. It works fine. Keep the cat off it until you vacuum,
not that it is all that dangerous.

Charlie

-L.
May 21st 06, 05:53 PM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> On 20 May 2006 22:08:51 -0700, " >
> wrote:
>
> >need something strong to spray carpets...but not hurt my kitty.
> >something other than borax and yes, I've bombed more than three times.
> >.
> Get some of that pyrethrum dust and put lots of it down, then vacuum
> it up later. They sell it in drug stores, grocery stores. Get about
> 3 cannisters. It works fine. Keep the cat off it until you vacuum,
> not that it is all that dangerous.

No do NOT use Pyrethrin dust. Pyrethrins are some of the most toxic
chemicals still on the market, for cats.

Get Frontline Spray - available online...

http://www.pestproducts.com/frontlinespray.htm

....and spray the house in two to three sessions 2.5 weeks apart. Treat
the cats with Advantage - do not subsitute anything other than
Frontline spray (do not use the spray on the cats) and Advantage.
Other chemicals are toxic and/or ineffective.

Here is a good review which discusses the toxicology of commonly sold
insecticides:
http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M01289.htm

-L.

keywords: flea fleas insecticides review frontline advantage pyrethrins
treatment house

BulletProof
May 21st 06, 06:21 PM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

> Get some of that pyrethrum dust and put lots of it down, then vacuum
> it up later. They sell it in drug stores, grocery stores. Get about
> 3 cannisters. It works fine. Keep the cat off it until you vacuum,
> not that it is all that dangerous.

FGS Charlie! don't buy no pyrethrum.., lol

resistance is futile

Matthew aka NMR
May 21st 06, 06:32 PM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> On 20 May 2006 22:08:51 -0700, " >
> wrote:
>
>>need something strong to spray carpets...but not hurt my kitty.
>>something other than borax and yes, I've bombed more than three times.
>>.
> Get some of that pyrethrum dust and put lots of it down, then vacuum
> it up later. They sell it in drug stores, grocery stores. Get about
> 3 cannisters. It works fine. Keep the cat off it until you vacuum,
> not that it is all that dangerous.
>
> Charlie

That product contain a cholinesterase inhibitor; for those wonder what that
is it is a enzyme needed to help our nervous system function properly.
We have this Product on our Warning List not to use around human, animal,
fish or insects. It is highly toxic Plus wasn't that substance banned by
the EPA for sale and use in the USA

RobZip
May 22nd 06, 03:52 AM
" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> need something strong to spray carpets...but not hurt my kitty.
> something other than borax and yes, I've bombed more than three times.
> .

One item I found that works well is Zema Insect Growth Inhibitor. It's focus
is killing live eggs in carpet and bedding. The product claims 30 day
effectiveness but every 3rd week seems to work out well. I usually vaccum
first, apply the product, shoot some up into the vaccum, then re-apply to
the carpet. BTW - dispose of the carpet bag to reduce the chance a rare
survivor might find his way out.

Charlie Wilkes
May 23rd 06, 02:20 AM
On Sun, 21 May 2006 17:32:44 GMT, "Matthew aka NMR"
> wrote:

>"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
>> On 20 May 2006 22:08:51 -0700, " >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>need something strong to spray carpets...but not hurt my kitty.
>>>something other than borax and yes, I've bombed more than three times.
>>>.
>> Get some of that pyrethrum dust and put lots of it down, then vacuum
>> it up later. They sell it in drug stores, grocery stores. Get about
>> 3 cannisters. It works fine. Keep the cat off it until you vacuum,
>> not that it is all that dangerous.
>>
>> Charlie
>
>That product contain a cholinesterase inhibitor; for those wonder what that
>is it is a enzyme needed to help our nervous system function properly.
>We have this Product on our Warning List not to use around human, animal,
>fish or insects. It is highly toxic Plus wasn't that substance banned by
>the EPA for sale and use in the USA

Maybe so. It's toxic to fish, because they put it in lakes to kill
the carp. But it's considered to be environmentally ok because it
degrades into non-toxic substances. It's also organic, as it is made
from a type of lily plant, and I think it's certified for organic
farmers.

This might be a faux pas on my part. What I know is: I bought some
carpet powder in the drug store, sprinkled it on the carpet, vacuumed
it up, no one was the worse for wear that I could tell. And it did
work. I seem to recall that pyrethrum was the active ingredient.

Charlie