PDA

View Full Version : Diagnose My Cat Contest (winner get's a free photo of Fluffy)

May 21st 06, 06:47 PM
Greetings,
My cat has come down with a very unusual and apparently
uncomfortable illness.

Symptoms, symptoms, symptoms;

Appears to be angry with tail (about hourly, for a few minutes)

Bouts of aggression against self (tail chasing with growling,
hissing, vocalizing and tail biting). This behavior worsened gradually
over 5 days, peaked two days ago (cat was insane about it), and now
will settle for less than a minute of it at a time.
Fits of tail-directed aggression can usually be stopped with several
squirts of water
Hyper Sensitivity. Rarely will flinch at slightest provocation.
Occassioanally unusually playful (fiesty), like it would love to chase
something.

Pupils usually seem dialated, but other times narrow slits in bright
light.

Have seen yellowish vomit twice.

Reluctanct to eat, but eats sometimes

More reluctant to drink, but drinks occasionally

Warm nose.

Walks slowly but steadily.

Has found a secluded corner in a closet to sleep in.

Never aggresive towards me, only towards it's tail.

Skin seems fairly elastic. Hair appears slightly raised. Tail hair
thinned out at tail end from biting.

It's been about 10 days now since he first started in with tail chasing
(fighting with his tail), this behavior grew from a few minutes
every five hours to a few minutes every 20 minutes (two days ago, and
he was quite aggressive about it).
This behavior has subsided to the point that, if left alone, I don't
think he'd chase himself to exhaustion.. but would growl at his tail
and
bit occasionally, as he does within a half hour of waking. During
the first two days, his nose was cool, and has been warm since.

Refuses to go outside, but sometimes will go out within a few feet of
the door.

No wheezing, sniffling, or any sign of respiratory problem.

Eyes have good color.

He lives in a small apartment complex where there are other cats and
some stray cats. A few weeks ago I saw him get attacked by a cat
I figured it was a stray and also insane. It was the pounce, bite, and
run type of attack.. not the all-out battle type.

I have never seen him chase his tail before, or engage in any other
self-mutilation. He didn't bite his tail raw either, but two days ago
he was having an all-out battle with it.

He can be controlled from biting his tail by squirting water, covering
his tail, or sometimes just talking to him.

He seems to feel like we do when we get the worst case of the flu.
It's hard to say if he is getting better, but it's clear he is not
getting worse regarding tail attacks... that has gotten better.

He never acts scared of me, or other people. I presume he took to
sleeping in a secluded place because he feels terrible.

I switched his food two days ago from dry low-grade (rendered proteins,
cellulose filler) to dry high-grade (just chicken etc, no parts, no
filler).

Switching his food produced a normal stool.

He has not been biting non-food objects.

This cat seems to be previously owned and abandonded.. and I took it in
as a stray about a year ago.

Except for the tail-biting and being angry with tail, there are no
pronounced behavioral changes other than appearing gloomy (sick).
He seems failry lively sometimes. Oddly, it seems he feels very
strange when attacking his tail because sometimes after being squirted
several times he comes right over to me and stares at me, like the
comfort of being around were more important than the risk of being
squirted (he only get's squirted if he bites his tail).

I have'nt ruled out rabies, but it doesn't seem very likely.

I suspect this may be distemper.

I don't think it's a spinal tumor, because he has a fever.

He has no trouble walking.

So, for a chance at a free photo of Fluffy (or name your prize).. what
the heck is wrong with my cat?

Thank you !

May 21st 06, 07:04 PM
... also, this is a 'mature' cat. Naps indoors, sits outside, and eats.

Matthew aka NMR
May 21st 06, 07:19 PM
Are you serious about this or is this a goof

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> [...]
>
> He has not been biting non-food objects.
>
> This cat seems to be previously owned and abandonded.. and I took it in
> as a stray about a year ago.
>
> Except for the tail-biting and being angry with tail, there are no
> pronounced behavioral changes other than appearing gloomy (sick).
> He seems failry lively sometimes. Oddly, it seems he feels very
> strange when attacking his tail because sometimes after being squirted
> several times he comes right over to me and stares at me, like the
> comfort of being around were more important than the risk of being
> squirted (he only get's squirted if he bites his tail).
>
> I have'nt ruled out rabies, but it doesn't seem very likely.
>
> I suspect this may be distemper.
>
> I don't think it's a spinal tumor, because he has a fever.
>
> He has no trouble walking.
>
> So, for a chance at a free photo of Fluffy (or name your prize).. what

May 21st 06, 07:23 PM
I'm serious. About the cat, the facts, and why not, even the photo if
you want it :)

Seriously, I'm serious.. less a few careless typos everything else is
straight up.

Thanks,

Geoff

May 21st 06, 07:55 PM
I was wondering which part of "My cat has come down with a very unusual
and apparently
uncomfortable illness." sounds like the opening line to a joke?

Surely, I don't mind being a little humorous, yet who would write so
much about his cat's problem? Possibly I could be a hypochondriac on
behalf of my cat,
or possibly my cat could be practicing to audition for a plague scene
in the next doomsday movie, but I prefer to think my cat is actually
sick.. as indicated by the list of symptoms provided.

Having studies for several hours on the internet about cat illnesses,
I'm still perplexed.

Thanks,

Geoff

May 21st 06, 08:19 PM
wrote:
> Greetings,
> My cat has come down with a very unusual and apparently
> uncomfortable illness.
>
> Symptoms, symptoms, symptoms;
>
> Appears to be angry with tail (about hourly, for a few minutes)
>
> Bouts of aggression against self (tail chasing with growling,
> hissing, vocalizing and tail biting). This behavior worsened gradually
> over 5 days, peaked two days ago (cat was insane about it), and now
> will settle for less than a minute of it at a time.
> Fits of tail-directed aggression can usually be stopped with several
> squirts of water

Our Siamese chases and attacks her tail quite often. Started about 3-4
years ago. (Middleaged cat.) It seems to be play. Anyway, she can't
keep it once shes got it, Siamese tails are too smooth and slip away.

Possibly yr cat is getting stimulated to hunt, and the tail is
convenoent prey.

Maybe try a cat fisher and see if it helps.

If not, it could be boredom or stress. Our Simaese plucks fur when
bored and/ or stressed. Now has two pinkish patches on her back where
the coat is too damaged to grow back propoerly. Happy cat most of the
time, so we dont worry too much.

Another possibility is something is making the tail itch. Check for
fleas/ ringowrm/ dry skin.

cybercat
May 21st 06, 08:43 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I was wondering which part of "My cat has come down with a very unusual
> and apparently
> uncomfortable illness." sounds like the opening line to a joke?

Take the cat to a vet, you ass. And shut up.

May 21st 06, 08:47 PM
I failed to mention there is shreiking and howling involved sometimes,
like the kind you might get if you cut off a cat's leg with a dull
knife.

Also, my cat has - never - bitten his tail before in the 18 months I've
had him .. but I do understand that your cat likes to play, and thank
you for sharing.

Also, he seems feverish, with a warm nose. Listlessness.. occasionally
anxiety.

Also, he is hiding a lot and won't go out and barely eats.

If I hadn't read my original post, I too would think it it was just
play. An itching tail I doubt could prompt a thrashing death-thrust
tail attack replete with banshee howls..
I really don't think a cat would make that much noise if run over
slowly by a car. At times it's been quite like some absolute
psychotic episode.. maybe he caught something from a postal worker or
interior cabinet member.. I just don't know. To clarify further, when
the cat was going for the kill in the truest sense, it was sometimes
directed at the tail itself, and sometimes directed behind the tail,
like an invisible enemy were there.

It mimicks rabies in some respects, distemper in others, and also
seems like niether. Neurologically, the cat is only very slightly
shaky at times when sitting, like we would normally be if extremely
sick. He seems dazed.

Thanks for your ideas !

cybercat
May 21st 06, 08:50 PM
> wrote in message
ps.com...
> I failed to mention there is shreiking and howling involved sometimes,
> like the kind you might get if you cut off a cat's leg with a dull
> knife.

Aha! The problem is, his owner gets his jollies messing with nice cat people
by posting bogus stuff in newsgroups.

Matthew aka NMR
May 21st 06, 08:50 PM
Cyber you thinking what I am thinking about this person
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> I was wondering which part of "My cat has come down with a very unusual
>> and apparently
>> uncomfortable illness." sounds like the opening line to a joke?
>>

> Take the cat to a vet, you ass. And shut up.
>

> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
> http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

May 21st 06, 08:54 PM
The cat goes to the vet when I have reason to think he is dying or has
rabies.

If he surives another week though, I'll take him for shots.

... I suppose I could switch to my regular newsreader so I can block all
the pathetic ASSHOLES out there like cybercat.

Lose some weight cybercat. Everyone knows the abusers on the net are
FAT pathetic slobs who hate themselves, drink heavily, beat their
spouses and
children, and screw their nieghbors kids... We know what your story is,
so please.. keep out of it if you have nothing but your stupid ass
NUKABLE american ****.

**** off and die, asshole.

May 21st 06, 08:56 PM
And you get your jollies boning mittens up the ass, when your neighbors
kids aren't available.

Wendy
May 21st 06, 09:26 PM
I love that "if he survives another week".

Take him to a vet or re-home the cat to someone who will take proper care of
him. Think about this for just a second if you can. The cat is exhibiting
unusual self destructive behavior. If it was your child doing this would you
wait to see if he survived another week or would you figure the behavior
indicated a problem that might best be addressed by a trained professional?

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> The cat goes to the vet when I have reason to think he is dying or has
> rabies.
>
> If he surives another week though, I'll take him for shots.
>
> .. I suppose I could switch to my regular newsreader so I can block all
> the pathetic ASSHOLES out there like cybercat.
>
> Lose some weight cybercat. Everyone knows the abusers on the net are
> FAT pathetic slobs who hate themselves, drink heavily, beat their
> spouses and
> children, and screw their nieghbors kids... We know what your story is,
> so please.. keep out of it if you have nothing but your stupid ass
> NUKABLE american ****.
>
> **** off and die, asshole.

May 21st 06, 09:33 PM
wrote:
> I failed to mention there is shreiking and howling involved sometimes,
> like the kind you might get if you cut off a cat's leg with a dull
> knife.
>
> Also, my cat has - never - bitten his tail before in the 18 months I've
> had him .. but I do understand that your cat likes to play, and thank
> you for sharing.
>
> Also, he seems feverish, with a warm nose. Listlessness.. occasionally
> anxiety.
>
> Also, he is hiding a lot and won't go out and barely eats.
>
> If I hadn't read my original post, I too would think it it was just
> play. An itching tail I doubt could prompt a thrashing death-thrust
> tail attack replete with banshee howls..
> I really don't think a cat would make that much noise if run over
> slowly by a car. At times it's been quite like some absolute
> psychotic episode.. maybe he caught something from a postal worker or
> interior cabinet member.. I just don't know. To clarify further, when
> the cat was going for the kill in the truest sense, it was sometimes
> directed at the tail itself, and sometimes directed behind the tail,
> like an invisible enemy were there.
>
> It mimicks rabies in some respects, distemper in others, and also
> seems like niether. Neurologically, the cat is only very slightly
> shaky at times when sitting, like we would normally be if extremely
> sick. He seems dazed.

Sounds like you should take him, assuming he exists, to the vet.
If it is rabies, you may have urgent personal reasons for doing so.

If he doesnt exist, I would recommend him for a starring role in a
short story.

Matthew aka NMR
May 21st 06, 09:33 PM
He is a wantabe troll
He started posting in other cat groups using Grunt as a display name, He
showed his stuff sort of to say when I confronted him in alt.animals.cats

Just another pathetic loser trying to earn a troll rating

"Wendy" >

May 21st 06, 09:36 PM
Naw, if it was my kid I'd push him straight into the blender then mason
jars and be done with it.

The cat has the luxury of being supervised most of the day. His self
attacks can be, and are, controlled by
various kinds of attention. He is not self mutilating, but two days
ago his condition was grave and he could not be left alone.
If I leave him alone for a half hour he might bite a few times, but it
is not psychosis... he won't ijure himself.

The real question is whether or not he has rabies, not whether or not
I'd be nice to my kids if I had any.

Far be it for me to grock that there are no reasonable people on the
internet, despite the preponderance of evidence, I still come back
here.

May 21st 06, 09:38 PM
Hi Asshole.. I suppose I could keep you going all year if not decades..
but you do that for each other already... tit for tat .. jeeeesus. You
internet people are dumb as can be.

Matthew aka NMR
May 21st 06, 09:40 PM
> wrote in message

>> I failed to mention there is shreiking and howling involved sometimes,
>> like the kind you might get if you cut off a cat's leg with a dull
>> knife.
>>
>> Also, my cat has - never - bitten his tail before in the 18 months I've
>> had him .. but I do understand that your cat likes to play, and thank
>> you for sharing.
>>
>> Also, he seems feverish, with a warm nose. Listlessness.. occasionally
>> anxiety.
>>
>> Also, he is hiding a lot and won't go out and barely eats.
>>
>> If I hadn't read my original post, I too would think it it was just
>> play. An itching tail I doubt could prompt a thrashing death-thrust
>> tail attack replete with banshee howls..
>> I really don't think a cat would make that much noise if run over
>> slowly by a car. At times it's been quite like some absolute
>> psychotic episode.. maybe he caught something from a postal worker or
>> interior cabinet member.. I just don't know. To clarify further, when
>> the cat was going for the kill in the truest sense, it was sometimes
>> directed at the tail itself, and sometimes directed behind the tail,
>> like an invisible enemy were there.
>>
>> It mimicks rabies in some respects, distemper in others, and also
>> seems like niether. Neurologically, the cat is only very slightly
>> shaky at times when sitting, like we would normally be if extremely
>> sick. He seems dazed.
>>

> Sounds like you should take him, assuming he exists, to the vet.
> If it is rabies, you may have urgent personal reasons for doing so.
>
> If he doesnt exist, I would recommend him for a starring role in a
> short story.

the poster could definitely be the village idiot in any play

Joe Canuck
May 21st 06, 09:42 PM
cybercat wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>> I failed to mention there is shreiking and howling involved sometimes,
>> like the kind you might get if you cut off a cat's leg with a dull
>> knife.
>
> Aha! The problem is, his owner gets his jollies messing with nice cat people
> by posting bogus stuff in newsgroups.
>

> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

I'd suggest an owner switch and removal of the clothes pin off the cats
tail.

Rhonda
May 21st 06, 11:03 PM
Dying or rabies, those are the two options for the vet? How about just
very sick and probably needs medication?

Rhonda

wrote:

> The cat goes to the vet when I have reason to think he is dying or has
> rabies.

jmc
May 21st 06, 11:58 PM
Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed (5/21/2006
3:54 PM):
> The cat goes to the vet when I have reason to think he is dying or has
> rabies.
>
> If he surives another week though, I'll take him for shots.
>
> .. I suppose I could switch to my regular newsreader so I can block all
> the pathetic ASSHOLES out there like cybercat.
>
> Lose some weight cybercat. Everyone knows the abusers on the net are
> FAT pathetic slobs who hate themselves, drink heavily, beat their
> spouses and
> children, and screw their nieghbors kids... We know what your story is,
> so please.. keep out of it if you have nothing but your stupid ass
> NUKABLE american ****.
>
> **** off and die, asshole.

Methinks I smell a troll. If you'd spent even about 30 seconds reading
before posting, you would have know that this is the first, last, and
correct answer to your query, no matter what country you come from.
Personally, if somebody responded like this to my face, I'd walk away
and call the SPCA (or RSPCA depending on where you are). Sure, you
posted a nice, long post with good description of symptoms, but if you
*really* cared about your cat, it would have started with, "I have an
appointment with the vet..." or somesuch.

Instead, you reply with a huge amount of vitriol for a simple, logical,
and completely sensible suggestion.

I sincerely hope your cat doesn't die because of your cruelty and
inattention. Troll.

jmc

jmc
May 22nd 06, 12:01 AM
Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (5/21/2006 6:58 PM):
> Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed (5/21/2006
> 3:54 PM):
>> The cat goes to the vet when I have reason to think he is dying or has
>> rabies.
>>
>> If he surives another week though, I'll take him for shots.
>>
>> .. I suppose I could switch to my regular newsreader so I can block all
>> the pathetic ASSHOLES out there like cybercat.
>>
>> Lose some weight cybercat. Everyone knows the abusers on the net are
>> FAT pathetic slobs who hate themselves, drink heavily, beat their
>> spouses and
>> children, and screw their nieghbors kids... We know what your story is,
>> so please.. keep out of it if you have nothing but your stupid ass
>> NUKABLE american ****.
>>
>> **** off and die, asshole.
>>
> Methinks I smell a troll. If you'd spent even about 30 seconds reading
> before posting, you would have know that this is the first, last, and
> correct answer to your query, no matter what country you come from.
> Personally, if somebody responded like this to my face, I'd walk away
> and call the SPCA (or RSPCA depending on where you are). Sure, you
> posted a nice, long post with good description of symptoms, but if you
> *really* cared about your cat, it would have started with, "I have an
> appointment with the vet..." or somesuch.
>
> Instead, you reply with a huge amount of vitriol for a simple, logical,
> and completely sensible suggestion.

oops. I guess it wsn't a simple suggestion. Somehow I missed the rest
of it first time round. Still, I see from other posts this guys is a
troll, so no apologies.

> I sincerely hope your cat doesn't die because of your cruelty and
> inattention. Troll.
>
> jmc

Matthew aka NMR
May 22nd 06, 12:03 AM
"jmc" >

You will be Ok it has been one of those days for a lot of us

May 22nd 06, 12:27 AM
This is a fair question.
But how do we ascertain very sick? When I get the flu sometimes I am
'very sick' but if I go to the doctor knowingly having the flu, he
tells me to wait a few days.

This condition evolved relatively slowly, starting with occasionally
chasing his tail with some utterances. By the 6th day he was being
more distressed in doing this so my best assessment was that he could
be going crazy, but more likely he was extremely ****ed off about
something. In the two days where the intensity peaked I watched him
closely and kept him from hurting himself. You see, he wasn't
lying on the floor, unable to get up, or throwing up foam etc.. instead
at least half of the time he would be perched on the couch or floor
looking content, or rambling of to the dinner bowl to have a few
minutes eating. So the cat has been eating most of the time throughout
this, but less than usual. He has an appetite, the diarrea is gone
(with a change of food), the day of growling and hanging his head low
has come and gone.. and presently he still starts snapping at his tail
about every 20 minutes. One thin squirt of water and he stops. At
times he's been very playful, much more than usual for a rather stolid
cat.

I've been unable to conclude that my cat has something other than a
fairly common virus, in this case distemper. Most of the advice I've
seen on the internet says that you pamper the cat and hope for the best
in that case.

He will jump up 3 feet onto something if he wants to, and he's heavy
for a cat.

He still goes at his tail, but so far all day he hasn't made any
parcticular expression of pain like he did all day yesterday, and worse
the day before.

He is not "better", but appears to be getting better, however slowly.
Coming on slowly, leaving slowly, it sounds like it could be a virus.

Suffering is another reason to bring the cat, so two days ago I should
have brought him.. but today he is just annoyed and very uncomfortable
in a way that seems to compare with what humans normally go through.

If you could watch him closely, you would notice that it appears that
it's the very motion of the tail that incites him to snap at it. He
doesn't mind having his tail or back handled, so it seems that ''it's
all in his head''.

Actually though, the sum of it is I'm the only one here interested in
my cat, and you people are just a bunch of assholes who have absolutely
nothing to offer the situation but some form of ego-putrifying banal
critique for you care for nothing else but to be typical stupid jerks.

So I respond sincerely, and you couldn't give a rats ass about anything
but being an asshole.

Matthew aka NMR
May 22nd 06, 12:29 AM
Anyone else vote group PLONK

cybercat
May 22nd 06, 01:02 AM
"Matthew aka NMR" > wrote in message
> Anyone else vote group PLONK

I never plonk in public. :)

May 22nd 06, 01:03 AM
hehe.. like I really came here to associate with fools

CatNipped
May 22nd 06, 01:05 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew aka NMR" > wrote in message
>> Anyone else vote group PLONK
>>

> I never plonk in public. :)

Agreed, plonking in private is de rigeur! Matthew, go wash your hands young
man! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
> http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

May 22nd 06, 01:09 AM
whatever.. I'm taking him to the vet

May 22nd 06, 01:09 AM
whatever.. I'm taking him to the vet

Matthew aka NMR
May 22nd 06, 01:14 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew aka NMR" > wrote in message
>> Anyone else vote group PLONK
>>

> I never plonk in public. :)

You lie girl that nose is growing bigger ;-)

Matthew aka NMR
May 22nd 06, 01:26 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Matthew aka NMR" > wrote in message
>>> Anyone else vote group PLONK
>>>

>> I never plonk in public. :)
>
> Agreed, plonking in private is de rigeur! Matthew, go wash your hands
> young man! ;>
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Never thought plonking could become so formal

cybercat
May 22nd 06, 01:44 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Matthew aka NMR" > wrote in message
> >> Anyone else vote group PLONK
> >>

> > I never plonk in public. :)
>
> Agreed, plonking in private is de rigeur! Matthew, go wash your hands
young
> man! ;>

hahahaha!

Wayne Mitchell
May 22nd 06, 01:51 AM
" > wrote:

>Bouts of aggression against self (tail chasing with growling,
>hissing, vocalizing and tail biting). This behavior worsened gradually
>over 5 days, peaked two days ago (cat was insane about it), and now
>will settle for less than a minute of it at a time.
> Fits of tail-directed aggression can usually be stopped with several
>squirts of water
>Hyper Sensitivity. Rarely will flinch at slightest provocation.
>Occassioanally unusually playful (fiesty), like it would love to chase
>something.

On the off chance that you really have a cat with symptoms such
as these, and for the benefit of others who may:

Look up "feline hyperesthesia" and then get the cat to a vet.
--

Wayne M.

May 22nd 06, 04:55 AM
The imaginary vet thinks it's his imaginary glands inside his imaginary
butt.

It is most like this 'hyperesthesia' thing. I'm betting my 25 cents
(plus a nominal
vet fee) that the vet will win the contest with the most correct guess.

Rhonda
May 22nd 06, 06:06 AM
wrote:

> This is a fair question.
> But how do we ascertain very sick? When I get the flu sometimes I am
> 'very sick' but if I go to the doctor knowingly having the flu, he
> tells me to wait a few days.
>
> This condition evolved relatively slowly, starting with occasionally
> chasing his tail with some utterances. By the 6th day he was being
> more distressed in doing this so my best assessment was that he could
> be going crazy, but more likely he was extremely ****ed off about
> something. In the two days where the intensity peaked I watched him
> closely and kept him from hurting himself. You see, he wasn't
> lying on the floor, unable to get up, or throwing up foam etc.. instead
> at least half of the time he would be perched on the couch or floor
> looking content, or rambling of to the dinner bowl to have a few
> minutes eating. So the cat has been eating most of the time throughout
> this, but less than usual. He has an appetite, the diarrea is gone
> (with a change of food), the day of growling and hanging his head low
> has come and gone.. and presently he still starts snapping at his tail
> about every 20 minutes. One thin squirt of water and he stops. At
> times he's been very playful, much more than usual for a rather stolid
> cat.
>
> I've been unable to conclude that my cat has something other than a
> fairly common virus, in this case distemper. Most of the advice I've
> seen on the internet says that you pamper the cat and hope for the best
> in that case.
>
> He will jump up 3 feet onto something if he wants to, and he's heavy
> for a cat.
>
> He still goes at his tail, but so far all day he hasn't made any
> parcticular expression of pain like he did all day yesterday, and worse
> the day before.
>
> He is not "better", but appears to be getting better, however slowly.
> Coming on slowly, leaving slowly, it sounds like it could be a virus.
>
> Suffering is another reason to bring the cat, so two days ago I should
> have brought him.. but today he is just annoyed and very uncomfortable
> in a way that seems to compare with what humans normally go through.
>
> If you could watch him closely, you would notice that it appears that
> it's the very motion of the tail that incites him to snap at it. He
> doesn't mind having his tail or back handled, so it seems that ''it's
> all in his head''.
>
> Actually though, the sum of it is I'm the only one here interested in
> my cat, and you people are just a bunch of assholes who have absolutely
> nothing to offer the situation but some form of ego-putrifying banal
> critique for you care for nothing else but to be typical stupid jerks.
>
> So I respond sincerely, and you couldn't give a rats ass about anything
> but being an asshole.

Are you talking to me? If that last statement is what you got out of my
question to you, then there's not much I can say.

Okay, yes there is. Distemper, and it doesn't sound like distemper to
me, kills about 50% of infected adult cats. Cats with distemper lose
fluids very rapidly and have a much better chance if they are
hospitalized and on IV. If I suspected my cat had distemper, she'd be at
the vet immediately.

As for other illnesses, cats are very good at hiding their symptoms. If
you have a cat in discomfort or "going crazy" for any length of time,
it's best to get the opinion of a vet instead of a newsgroup. You can
analyze and talk about symptoms for hours, but it will still be a guess
unless the cat is examined.

As for wanting to make sure your cat is "very sick" before going to the
vet, that's up to you but it won't happen with our cats.

Rhonda

May 22nd 06, 07:09 AM
wrote:
> The imaginary vet thinks it's his imaginary glands inside his imaginary
> butt.
>
> It is most like this 'hyperesthesia' thing. I'm betting my 25 cents
> (plus a nominal
> vet fee) that the vet will win the contest with the most correct guess.

Interesting. The Hyperesthesia thing in milder form could be whats
bugging our cat, too.

Since its a Simese, I didnt register the yowls - its a pretty vocal cat
anyway. But it doesnt yowl when chasing its tail, only when chasing
imaginary monsters through the house. We havent had any problems with
imaginary monsters since this cat arrived. The resident mouse remains
untroubled.

P No Gree G O
May 22nd 06, 06:54 PM
wrote:

> I failed to mention there is shreiking and howling involved sometimes,
> like the kind you might get if you cut off a cat's leg with a dull
> knife.

TROLL O - METER

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
--------------------------------------
^

P No Gree G O
May 22nd 06, 06:55 PM
wrote:

> And you get your jollies boning mittens up the ass,

Glove abuse is everywhere!

Matthew aka NMR
May 23rd 06, 12:10 AM
Less his rating is down to a -2.5
"P No Gree G O"

cybercat
May 23rd 06, 02:15 AM
"Matthew aka NMR" > wrote in message
> Less his rating is down to a -2.5

Although, for entertainment value, though he wasn't witty,
it was fun watching all that impotent rage sputter forth while he melted
down. :)