PDA

View Full Version : Serious Constipation

May 22nd 06, 04:15 PM
Our cat has been back to the vet three times now over a period of about
2 years with serious constipation. Each time he's had a full enema and
has been OK but the problem has slowly crept back (this current time
being by far the worst) In fact the poor guys at the vets now, so wish
him well!

Overtime he's been fed moist food no dry at all), hand has been given a
paraffin based laxative whenever his problem looks like reoccurring,
but he's caught us out three times now and I feel terrible about it :(

A point of interest is that when he does pass something his stool is
rock hard (I really can't describe how hard it is), there is no mosture
in it all, which I guess is why he has so much trouble passing it and
is gettingn bunged up all the time. I'm pretty certain its diet
related, but he never seems to drink which can't help either.

I'm after some ideas really about how we can manage this. So far (from
the vet) we have high fibre food, lots of water and a glucose bassed
laxative to be administered daily. They said as a final solution he
could have part of his colon removed (apparently its too wide and
doesn't compact his waste enough), which I'm not keen on as it's a
massive operation and the side effects could be rather nasty for him.

We're getting frantic with worry about him so any suggestions would be
wellcome.

Many thanks

Sean

cybercat
May 22nd 06, 04:20 PM
> wrote

> We're getting frantic with worry about him so any suggestions would be
> wellcome.

Do you notice that he drinks a good bit of water, or not? (Hard to
judge, I know. I would guess that he cannot be drinking that much
with hard stools like that.)

I was just thinking that it might help to place several bowls
of water around the house (I have heard that this actually
results in them drinking more.)

Also, some cats really love to drink moving water, so
something like a Drinkwell fountain might encourage your
poor boy to drinnk more.

Some people also swear by canned pumpkin being a good
laxative.

Good luck.

DrLargePants
May 22nd 06, 05:04 PM
> Do you notice that he drinks a good bit of water, or not? (Hard to
> judge, I know. I would guess that he cannot be drinking that much
> with hard stools like that.)

I have to say I've never seen him drink. We've starting mixing water
into his food to try and up his fluid intake. Thing is anymore than a
dribble and he won't eat it :(

> I was just thinking that it might help to place several bowls
> of water around the house (I have heard that this actually
> results in them drinking more.)

Yeah we do this and change the water a lot as well to no avail.

> Also, some cats really love to drink moving water, so
> something like a Drinkwell fountain might encourage your
> poor boy to drinnk more.

I think this might be a course of action. He was a stray so I guess he
could find very fresh water all the time outside (he doesn't go out
now)

> Some people also swear by canned pumpkin being a good
> laxative.

Interesting, I'll look into that!

> Good luck.

Thanks he needs it :)

Gary Brown
May 22nd 06, 05:05 PM
> Our cat has been back to the vet three times now over a period of about
> 2 years with serious constipation. Each time he's had a full enema and

Our cat has had this problem for the last nine years. Water does help but
he will only drink whatever amount he wants (he is a cat after all).

We give ours a cocktail of 2-3ml lactalose (a syrupy liquid laxative) and
5mg cisapride (plus other meds for another condition) with each meal.
We also mix 1/2 teaspoon of Benefiber into his meal. He got a tablespoon
of pumpkin in his meal before we switched to Benefiber. He hated the
pumpkin. Benefiber is tasteless.

When he looks like he is getting plugged up I give an extra dose of
lactalose
and maybe squirt a few cc of water into him. He tends to stop drinking
water
when he's constipated - just opposite of what he needs. Even after all this
he still makes 3 or 4 trips to the vet a year to get unplugged. Be aware
that large, hard stools can stretch the colon and rectum which worsens the
problem.

Gary

DrLargePants
May 22nd 06, 05:09 PM
Gary Brown wrote:
> > Our cat has been back to the vet three times now over a period of about
> > 2 years with serious constipation. Each time he's had a full enema and
>
> Our cat has had this problem for the last nine years. Water does help but
> he will only drink whatever amount he wants (he is a cat after all).

Yeah, they know their own mind! I'll give a cat fountain a try, the
other cat will love it nothing else.

> We give ours a cocktail of 2-3ml lactalose (a syrupy liquid laxative) and
> 5mg cisapride (plus other meds for another condition) with each meal.
> We also mix 1/2 teaspoon of Benefiber into his meal. He got a tablespoon
> of pumpkin in his meal before we switched to Benefiber. He hated the
> pumpkin. Benefiber is tasteless.

What's Benefiber ?

> When he looks like he is getting plugged up I give an extra dose of
> lactalose
> and maybe squirt a few cc of water into him. He tends to stop drinking
> water
> when he's constipated - just opposite of what he needs. Even after all this
> he still makes 3 or 4 trips to the vet a year to get unplugged. Be aware
> that large, hard stools can stretch the colon and rectum which worsens the
> problem.

God, that's not what I wanted to hear at all :(

Thanks for the sugestions though

Buddy
May 22nd 06, 06:04 PM
It may also be plugged with hairballs. Why not try giving him
Temptation treats for hairballs, daily and see if that doesn't loosen
him up. If he only eats wet food, you probably won't see him drink
much. Adding some more water to the food is a good idea, if you can
get away with it. Try the Temptations.

Elizabeth Blake
May 22nd 06, 07:37 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Our cat has been back to the vet three times now over a period of about
> 2 years with serious constipation. Each time he's had a full enema and
> has been OK but the problem has slowly crept back (this current time
> being by far the worst) In fact the poor guys at the vets now, so wish
> him well!

The same exact thing has happened to one of my cats at work, Harriet. She
had the problem in 2004, went to the vet to get cleaned out, and all seemed
well. Then last year (August 2005) it happened again. Went to the vet,
they gave her an enema. She still wouldn't/couldn't go. Bring her back,
same thing. Finally they gave me a bottle of Lactulose stool softener,
which was nearly impossible to get into her. Apparently it tastes awful. I
went to the same stupid vet a total of 4 times before getting fed up, and I
took her to a cats only vet. They told me that the medication the first vet
prescribed wasn't a large enough dose and wasn't being given often enough.
They upped the dosage on both meds (Lactulose, and cisapride/Propulsid).
The Lactulose softens her stool and the Propulsid helps her to push it out.

> Overtime he's been fed moist food no dry at all), hand has been given a
> paraffin based laxative whenever his problem looks like reoccurring,
> but he's caught us out three times now and I feel terrible about it :(

Harriet was eating a mix of wet & dry. She definitely preferred the dry
food but she did also drink a lot of water. She has always loved water,
especially drinking it from her Drinkwell fountain. She does now get a low
residue dry food (to reduce the volume of her stools) and canned food with
no grain. The vet said all of the grain fillers, even in many canned foods,
just ends up as stool so less filler = less stool = easier for the cat to
poop.

> A point of interest is that when he does pass something his stool is
> rock hard (I really can't describe how hard it is), there is no mosture
> in it all, which I guess is why he has so much trouble passing it and
> is gettingn bunged up all the time. I'm pretty certain its diet
> related, but he never seems to drink which can't help either.

Yep, Harriet's were large and totally hard.

> I'm after some ideas really about how we can manage this. So far (from
> the vet) we have high fibre food, lots of water and a glucose bassed
> laxative to be administered daily. They said as a final solution he
> could have part of his colon removed (apparently its too wide and
> doesn't compact his waste enough), which I'm not keen on as it's a
> massive operation and the side effects could be rather nasty for him.

My vet (even the first one) took a totally opposite approach. They told me
to keep her on a LOW fiber diet, which would produce less stool. I guess
the laxative you have is Lactulose? Oh, and I now get Harriet's Lactulose
prescription filled at a pharmacy with the Flavor Rx system. She now gets
it chicken or bacon flavored and it's so much easier to medicate her now.
Both vets also mentioned the possibility of surgery if the medication didn't
work.

Harriet was at the vet last in September (that was the visit to the cats
only vet) and with the change in her diet & medication, she hasn't had to go
back since. Sometimes her stools seem a little too big/hard so I increase
the lactulose for a couple of doses. Right now she gets 3ml twice a day,
before meals, and Propulsid twice a day. I have to be careful not to
increwase the Lactulose too much, because if I give her 4ml she'll often end
up with diarrhea.

Harriet also doesn't always poop in the box but I'd rather she crap on the
floor than not go at all. Since her stools are generally firm (but not rock
hard like they used to be), it's easy to clean up. She's got 4 boxes to
choose from but I think if she's stressed she'll just use the floor.

--
Liz

May 22nd 06, 07:51 PM
On 22 May 2006 08:15:01 -0700, wrote:

>Our cat has been back to the vet three times now over a period of about
>2 years with serious constipation. Each time he's had a full enema and
>has been OK but the problem has slowly crept back (this current time
>being by far the worst) In fact the poor guys at the vets now, so wish
>him well!
>
>Overtime he's been fed moist food no dry at all), hand has been given a
>paraffin based laxative whenever his problem looks like reoccurring,
>but he's caught us out three times now and I feel terrible about it :(
>
>A point of interest is that when he does pass something his stool is
>rock hard (I really can't describe how hard it is), there is no mosture
>in it all, which I guess is why he has so much trouble passing it and
>is gettingn bunged up all the time. I'm pretty certain its diet
>related, but he never seems to drink which can't help either.
>
>I'm after some ideas really about how we can manage this. So far (from
>the vet) we have high fibre food, lots of water and a glucose bassed
>laxative to be administered daily. They said as a final solution he
>could have part of his colon removed (apparently its too wide and
>doesn't compact his waste enough), which I'm not keen on as it's a
>massive operation and the side effects could be rather nasty for him.
>
>We're getting frantic with worry about him so any suggestions would be
>wellcome.
>
>Many thanks
>
>Sean

Sean,

Try adding about 1/4 tsp of Benefibre to the wet food once or twice a
day. Also add extra water to the wet food to ensure he gets enough.
If worse comes to worse, the vet can give you a stool softener (but my
Katie hates the stuff).

Good luck!

Rob

May 22nd 06, 07:53 PM
On 22 May 2006 09:09:40 -0700, "DrLargePants"
> wrote:

>Gary Brown wrote:
>> > Our cat has been back to the vet three times now over a period of about
>> > 2 years with serious constipation. Each time he's had a full enema and
>>
>> Our cat has had this problem for the last nine years. Water does help but
>> he will only drink whatever amount he wants (he is a cat after all).
>
>Yeah, they know their own mind! I'll give a cat fountain a try, the
>other cat will love it nothing else.
>

>> We give ours a cocktail of 2-3ml lactalose (a syrupy liquid laxative) and
>> 5mg cisapride (plus other meds for another condition) with each meal.
>> We also mix 1/2 teaspoon of Benefiber into his meal. He got a tablespoon
>> of pumpkin in his meal before we switched to Benefiber. He hated the
>> pumpkin. Benefiber is tasteless.
>
>What's Benefiber ?

A powdered fiber supplement that many people take to stay "regular".
It's better than Metamucil because it has no taste whatsover and
dissolves completely in water.

PawsForThought
May 22nd 06, 08:15 PM
cybercat wrote:
Some people also swear by canned pumpkin being a good
> laxative.

I second that. Also, you could bake some squash and mix it into the
cat's regular food. What brand of food are you feeding?

It's also very important that the litterbox be kept clean, and in a
private out of the way location. If the cat holds it in, this will
lead to a constipation problem.

Lauren
(and Mickey & Meesha)
Raise Your Paw for Raw!

see my cats: http://tinyurl.com/8glfv

PawsForThought
May 22nd 06, 08:18 PM
wrote:
> >What's Benefiber ?
>
> A powdered fiber supplement that many people take to stay "regular".
> It's better than Metamucil because it has no taste whatsover and
> dissolves completely in water.

Just a word of caution with these powdered fiber supplements - if the
cat doesn't get enough water with it, it can actually cause
constipation.

Lauren
(and Mickey & Meesha)
Raise Your Paw for Raw!

see my cats: http://tinyurl.com/8glfv

Elizabeth Blake
May 22nd 06, 09:06 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> Some people also swear by canned pumpkin being a good
> laxative.

When my cat had diarrhea, I was told to give him canned pumpkin. Does it
work both ways? I gave it to him for two weeks, after he had diarrhea for
much longer than that, and it cleared up. Plus, he loved getting extra food
and would even eat the plain pumpkin if I let him. I now finally have
litterboxes that are easy to clean.

--
Liz

cybercat
May 22nd 06, 09:20 PM
"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>
> > Some people also swear by canned pumpkin being a good
> > laxative.
>
> When my cat had diarrhea, I was told to give him canned pumpkin. Does it
> work both ways? I gave it to him for two weeks, after he had diarrhea for
> much longer than that, and it cleared up. Plus, he loved getting extra
food
> and would even eat the plain pumpkin if I let him. I now finally have
> litterboxes that are easy to clean.
>
> --
Gosh I don't know, Liz! I had only heard about it as a laxative!

Buddy
May 22nd 06, 09:28 PM
My vet recommends pumpkin for diarrhea too.

jmc
May 23rd 06, 12:15 AM
Some additional comments/suggestions, my cat Meep also tends toward
constipation - getting her to drink enough is a constant challenge:

Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (5/22/2006 11:20 AM):
> > wrote
>
>> We're getting frantic with worry about him so any suggestions would be
>> wellcome.
>>

> Do you notice that he drinks a good bit of water, or not? (Hard to
> judge, I know. I would guess that he cannot be drinking that much
> with hard stools like that.)
>
> I was just thinking that it might help to place several bowls
> of water around the house (I have heard that this actually
> results in them drinking more.)

This worked for Meep. Try putting water near where he sleeps the most.
Make sure if you've got multiple stories, that you have water on each.

IF he's a shy cat, try putting water bowls in more private locations,
like inside a closet.

Make sure the water is changed daily. You might try putting an ice cube
in the water, some cats prefer it cooler. Meep comes running when she
hears me refilling her upstairs water.

> Also, some cats really love to drink moving water, so
> something like a Drinkwell fountain might encourage your
> poor boy to drinnk more.

I got a Drinkwell for Meep. She does use it, but drinks more from the
water bowl upstairs, in a more hidden location.

> Some people also swear by canned pumpkin being a good
> laxative.

I hear lots of cats like this, but unfortunately Meep isn't interested.

Good luck!

jmc

cybercat
May 23rd 06, 01:13 AM
"jmc" > wrote

> IF he's a shy cat, try putting water bowls in more private locations,
> like inside a closet.

And be SURE to take a glass of water to bed with you so you can
wake up to him drinking out of it! ;)

DrLargePants
May 23rd 06, 07:13 AM

> And be SURE to take a glass of water to bed with you so you can
> wake up to him drinking out of it!

LOL! Its the other one that does that !

vancats
May 23rd 06, 11:34 AM
My Siamese has the same problem,but I found something that worked for
him. The Vet. sugested 1 teaspoon of Metamucil(unflavored)aday, which I
break up to half teaspoon twice a day in a meat baby food. I mix it up
in a small amount and feed it to him on a spoon. Make sure that the
baby food doesn't have onion in it, and that it isn't to warm( I heat
the baby food up a little before mixing it). If it is too warm, the
Metamucil will thicken to a nasty paste which Kiowa wont eat. Chicken
seems to be the best flavor but each cat is different.
The Drinkwell Fountain is good too and a few small bowls of fresh
water place around the house also works. Kiowa has been on this program
for about 2 years and is doing good. I noticed that he drinks more
water since he has been taking the Metamucil. Best of Luck and I hope
that something works for your Fur Baby.

Leslie

May 23rd 06, 04:27 PM
On 22 May 2006 12:18:27 -0700, "PawsForThought"

>> >What's Benefiber ?
>>
>> A powdered fiber supplement that many people take to stay "regular".
>> It's better than Metamucil because it has no taste whatsover and
>> dissolves completely in water.
>
>Just a word of caution with these powdered fiber supplements - if the
>cat doesn't get enough water with it, it can actually cause
>constipation.

Absolutely. That's why I only feed wet food with added water. Thanks
for the clarification.

DrLargePants
May 24th 06, 09:00 AM
wrote:
> Our cat has been back to the vet three times now over a period of about
> 2 years with serious constipation. Each time he's had a full enema and
> has been OK but the problem has slowly crept back (this current time
> being by far the worst) In fact the poor guys at the vets now, so wish
> him well!
> Sean

Well he should be out of the vets today (been in since Sunday now),
he's had an enema and is apparently *much* better. We'll dicuss with
the vet tonight how best to manage his condition and take it from
there.

Thanks for all the sugestions and support !

May 24th 06, 05:12 PM
"DrLargePants" > wrote:

> Well he should be out of the vets today (been in since Sunday now),
> he's had an enema and is apparently *much* better.

Wonderful!

Do let us know how he does.

May 24th 06, 06:15 PM
"DrLargePants" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> > Wonderful!
> >

> > Do let us know how he does.
>

> Well he's in for another night as he's had *another* enema, but he's
> now passing normal stools so should be out tomorrow :)

He will be sooo happy to be home! Maybe a celebration is in order. Catnip
all the way around!