PDA

View Full Version : My cat is scared of EVERYTHING.

xxStrawberryFieldsForeverxx
May 23rd 06, 02:41 AM
I have a 10 year old [in human years] cat. He's still VERY VERY youthful. He
was rescued from an alley with his brother, and brought over to my house in a
box. That must've been a very traumatic experience for him because he's been
scared of everything ever since then! He is pure black. His name is Midnight,
and he LOVES me. He sleeps on my bed almost every night and purrs the night
away and curls up by me, but when he gets out of my room, he zooms to the
door to be let out or fed. He cries when he's hungry, so we feed him and then
he disappears in the basement for hours, and then he is let outside where he
stays the entire day until he feels like coming in, so he latches himself to
my window crying and hanging there. He's scared of everything. Outside from
being purry, he jumps and runs when he sees his own shadow, or at a noise.
He'll cower and run. He is never around people unless they are sedentary and
sitting still in relative silence. But he'll only be around you if he's
sleeping or wants something. I don't know why he does that, but I really want
him to see that there is no danger for him anymore. His brother died in 2003
of Leukemia, and we can't get him tested because if he's positive, they have
to kill him and I can't kill my baby until it's absolutely nescessary...But
anyways, Can anyone help my psycho kitty? He just doesn't like anyone or
anything and runs at the slightest movement or noise. I'm wondering if there
is anything I can do for him.

Cassie.

Frank Pittel
May 23rd 06, 05:55 AM
If there's the slightest chance that he has feline leukemia you have no right
to let the cat out and possibly spread it to other cats. In any case keeping
him in should help over come his fears.

Frank

--

-------------------

Barb
May 23rd 06, 04:51 PM
Where do you live where a cat must be killed if he tests positive for
leukemia? Here cats can live many years under a vet's care with leukemia.
Do not let him run around outside.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

dgk
May 23rd 06, 05:58 PM
On Tue, 23 May 2006 01:41:22 GMT, "xxStrawberryFieldsForeverxx"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a 10 year old [in human years] cat. He's still VERY VERY youthful. He
>was rescued from an alley with his brother, and brought over to my house in a
>box. That must've been a very traumatic experience for him because he's been
>scared of everything ever since then! He is pure black. His name is Midnight,
>and he LOVES me. He sleeps on my bed almost every night and purrs the night
>away and curls up by me, but when he gets out of my room, he zooms to the
>door to be let out or fed. He cries when he's hungry, so we feed him and then
>he disappears in the basement for hours, and then he is let outside where he
>stays the entire day until he feels like coming in, so he latches himself to
>my window crying and hanging there. He's scared of everything. Outside from
>being purry, he jumps and runs when he sees his own shadow, or at a noise.
>He'll cower and run. He is never around people unless they are sedentary and
>sitting still in relative silence. But he'll only be around you if he's
>sleeping or wants something. I don't know why he does that, but I really want
>him to see that there is no danger for him anymore. His brother died in 2003
>of Leukemia, and we can't get him tested because if he's positive, they have
>to kill him and I can't kill my baby until it's absolutely nescessary...But
>anyways, Can anyone help my psycho kitty? He just doesn't like anyone or
>anything and runs at the slightest movement or noise. I'm wondering if there
>is anything I can do for him.
>
>Cassie.

Nobody is going to kill a cat because he is FLV+. You just keep him
away from other cats.

My Nipsy is scared of everything also. I took him to the vet yesterday
and he cried (loudly) the whole way there and back. This morning he
was just lying on a bed in an out of the way room feeling ****ty
because of the shots.

I have friends who don't believe that I have two cats because they've
never seen Nipsy. Any mildly loud noise and a streak of grey is
heading to the basement. That boy is just one big wuss.

Some cats are like that.

By the way, 10 is not young for a cat. Often cats look perfectly
healthy until they collapse from some condition. It's important to get
him to a vet just to check out his lungs and heart and general
condition.

Rhonda
May 24th 06, 04:53 AM
Your kitty sounds like a former feral. We have several -- each have
their own weird quirks that were ingrained in kittenhood.

The older they are when brought in, the harder it is for them to change.
Our cat that was about 6 months old when we caught her is scared like
yours. She stays under the bed most of the time but comes out at night.
When she walks through a room, she hugs the walls. It's a really big
deal to see her in a room other than the bedroom.

The easiest thing for other cats, like eat from the cat bowl in the
kitchen, takes major courage for Sweeter. We have adapted to her fears.
She usually sleeps with me and purrs up a storm. If there's a noise
though, she's back under the bed.

Our others were brought in at about 10 weeks old and they're much
better. They still have some strange fears but act a bit more like
normal cats.

Just do your best. Talk to him and coax him out, give him treats. Food
can work wonders for a former feral. Sit on the floor and read to him.

We chose to accept our cats as they are (after we got them out of the
closet) and go from there. I know others who do some tough love to try
to make the cats more brave. Maybe others have different advice in that
area.

Good luck. By the way, did you post before? Your story sounds familiar,
losing the brother and all.

Take care,

Rhonda

xxStrawberryFieldsForeverxx wrote:

> Can anyone help my psycho kitty? He just doesn't like anyone or
> anything and runs at the slightest movement or noise. I'm wondering if there
> is anything I can do for him.
>
> Cassie.

xxStrawberryFieldsForeverxx via CatKB.com
May 25th 06, 05:10 AM
I dont know if it was here... but when his brother was about to die...before
we had the sense to test him for anything at the vet..DUH... we posted here
to see if something could be wrong with JoJo, his deceased brother. At that
time, he was wheezing and losing weight and being really lethargic. Sadly
enough, we had to put him down to end his misery.

When we got him tested, they said we had to come back in like 4-8 weeks to
put him down because he was positive. We let him go 8 weeks to the very last
hour..minute.. to take him to get put down. Don't ask me why or who's rules
they were, but thats just the way it was and im scared to lose my cat until
he visibly shows signs of being sick. Thats harsh...but still.

In my room, Midnight is very sweet. He'll cuddle with me and purr and stretch
out on me, but the minute he gets out, he's gone. If I have food and he wants
it, he meows and tries to come closer to you but if you move slightly, he'll
run. Or if he doesn't want food thrown to him, he'll book it. He's just weird.
I suppose thats just the way he'll always be. I have read to him and I play
my violin for him sometimes and talk with him and I think it works because he
looks at me with those gleamy eyes and stretches his paws on me, as if to say
he's alright... you never know. Thank you, though. :)