PDA

View Full Version : they're behavior worsens

ensoul
May 23rd 06, 05:49 AM
Moe & Rudy, neutered year and half old, brothers indoor cats...we got
them at 8 months the had only lived at the SPCA and we did expect the
worse and we got it

used squirt guns, covered all the kitchen counters with pots & pans to
keep them off, use contact paper sticky side out on places they like to
stratch (yes they have 2 large starcthing posts and use them), use a
can filled with stones give a good shake to startle them abt 3 months
into they slowly settled down....any time we cover a place they starch
they immediately find a new place

now we're back to square one and worse because they're bigger, all my
house plants have been destroyed then knock then over, anything on a
stand gets knocked over...my husband is usually home being disabled and
he always squirts, but then they just do it when we go bed....we can't
let in our bedroom with us because of their bad habits

so they destroy house plants, window decorations, candle holders, tears
up towels and clothes, if the lid is lose on the trash can they will
climb right in, there is no way to lock the cupboards the regular climb
into some that have chemicals I try blocking it and they move that, the
get on top of the fridge, tonight one was on top of the closet door his
head touched the ceiling.....mind you last time I checked they weighed
at 18 lbs

they have toys which I rotate, we play with them regularly...at night a
light and the radio is left on and when they are left alone (which is
rare)

this is the 1st time I've had 2 cats, they're always fighting each
other, rarely get along, is it because there brothers? Sometimes when
they fight we seperate them, putting one in the spare bdrm for 10 - 15
min?

we live in a small 2 bdrm place, is possible our place is too small for
them? We love them dearly....even the vet has no ideal and there are
no medical problems....there's been no new changes at here and yet
there behavioral keeps getting wilder & wilder...I'm 47 yrs,,,,Had a
cat or she had me since I was never got rid of one them

it would break our hearts, we can't afford animal behaviorist, we live
on limited income, they've easily destroyed over $200 worth our things

would it be cruel to confine to the spare bdrm at night? of coarse
w/litter box, food, water, & toys....then again that would prob. set
off a rampage

please......any ideas to calm them down

ensoul

stan beck
May 23rd 06, 10:49 AM
Cruel would be not to feed them or allow them to go to the bathroom,
but to confine them to a bedroom -- it's merciful. Otherwise, you may
end of giving them away because of their destructive patterns. They
will keep each other 'company', don't worry about that. Were they
outdoor kittens before you got them?

Stan

http://Kitten-Pictures.com
Adorable Kitten Pictures

Wendy
May 23rd 06, 12:02 PM
"ensoul" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Moe & Rudy, neutered year and half old, brothers indoor cats...we got
> them at 8 months the had only lived at the SPCA and we did expect the
> worse and we got it
>
> used squirt guns, covered all the kitchen counters with pots & pans to
> keep them off, use contact paper sticky side out on places they like to
> stratch (yes they have 2 large starcthing posts and use them), use a
> can filled with stones give a good shake to startle them abt 3 months
> into they slowly settled down....any time we cover a place they starch
> they immediately find a new place
>
> now we're back to square one and worse because they're bigger, all my
> house plants have been destroyed then knock then over, anything on a
> stand gets knocked over...my husband is usually home being disabled and
> he always squirts, but then they just do it when we go bed....we can't
> let in our bedroom with us because of their bad habits
>
> so they destroy house plants, window decorations, candle holders, tears
> up towels and clothes, if the lid is lose on the trash can they will
> climb right in, there is no way to lock the cupboards the regular climb
> into some that have chemicals I try blocking it and they move that, the
> get on top of the fridge, tonight one was on top of the closet door his
> head touched the ceiling.....mind you last time I checked they weighed
> at 18 lbs
>
> they have toys which I rotate, we play with them regularly...at night a
> light and the radio is left on and when they are left alone (which is
> rare)
>
> this is the 1st time I've had 2 cats, they're always fighting each
> other, rarely get along, is it because there brothers? Sometimes when
> they fight we seperate them, putting one in the spare bdrm for 10 - 15
> min?
>
> we live in a small 2 bdrm place, is possible our place is too small for
> them? We love them dearly....even the vet has no ideal and there are
> no medical problems....there's been no new changes at here and yet
> there behavioral keeps getting wilder & wilder...I'm 47 yrs,,,,Had a
> cat or she had me since I was never got rid of one them
>
> it would break our hearts, we can't afford animal behaviorist, we live
> on limited income, they've easily destroyed over $200 worth our things
>
> would it be cruel to confine to the spare bdrm at night? of coarse
> w/litter box, food, water, & toys....then again that would prob. set
> off a rampage
>
> please......any ideas to calm them down
>

> ensoul

They sound like my Boots except, thank God, he doesn't claw the furniture.
He chewed wires, climbs on anything, eats plants, opens drawers and cabinet
doors, and is a truly loveable total pest.

Boots is now 2 1/2 and is improving. He no longer chews on wires and I was
able to leave the Christmas tree up for a week this year. Actually he is
settling down unless he's ****ed at me and then he acts out. If I'm working
and he thinks I should be paying attention to him he'll go knock over the
trash can in the bathroom or knock the clock off the shelf in the kitchen -
something like that to annoy me. I guess he believes that bad attention is
better than no attention. He also has a bud to play with although not a
littermate.

I don't think it would be cruel at all to confine them to the spare bedroom
at night. Heck they have a whole room to explore and will have food, water
and their box. Sounds like a plan to me as it's basically a waiting game
with these guys. We just have to wait until they get older and lazier. You
might want to try running a feliway diffuser. Expensive in the stores but
can be had for a lot less online. My guys do better when I have one running.
Not a silver bullet, but can calm down some of the rough play between the
boys.

My Boots has set in my brain forever why I will never adopt another kitten.
It's mature cats for me from now on. I need more like my Isabelle who is a
good girl and is just a tad annoying so she can keep her cat union card.

Barb
May 23rd 06, 04:42 PM
Moe and Rudy may be in their terrible twos right now. They will mature and
settle down. They sound adorable. Putting them in a bedroom at night with
water and a litter pan sounds like a good idea to me.

I do not keep live plants because cats eat them and then throw them up. I
have scratching posts both lying flat and standing upright. Cats have
preferences. My cats go up on the counters and onto the refrigerator and
even on top of the top kitchen shelves. What else are they going to do with
themselves? I don't ever put food on the counters, anyway. That's what
plates and cutting boards are for. One of my cats keeps climbing into the
kitchen cabinet where I keep cleaning supplies. I tell her not to but she
goes in there a lot. She is not going to open closed bottles.

I have an inexpensive plastic kitchen trash can which is very easy to clean
and has a top that swings open and shut. It seems like it is cat proof.

I hope you can come to grips with your 2 little furbabies.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

ensoul
May 23rd 06, 08:34 PM
Stan asked Were they outdoor kittens before you got them?

they were found abounded outside at approx a month old, I doubt they
have any memory of being outdoors

Lynn

ensoul
May 23rd 06, 08:39 PM
thanks, I have tried feliway, even used a refill so used for well over
2 months and it was above thier water dish, they have one those water
dishes with running water and love it

I've never had luck with feliway

my hubby says, too bad they're wasn't such a thing as no lethal barb
wire....he is being sarcastic, we would never harm them in any way

lynn

PawsForThought
May 23rd 06, 08:44 PM
I would recommend this book:
http://www.pamjohnsonbennett.com/

Cat vs. Cat (Keeping Peace When You Have More Than One Cat)
Publisher: Penguin Books New York, NY

Pam Johnson-Bennett's newest book, Cat vs. Cat is
a one-of-its-kind guide to setting up and maintaining
a peaceful multi-cat home. Cat vs. Cat goes where
no others have when it comes to solving the unique
challenges of living with more than one cat.

ensoul
May 23rd 06, 08:46 PM
thanks Barb and thanks all of you that replied....I really want to get
them one of those tall cat tree's, has to be heavy duty because of
their size and they are soooo expensive, neither me or my hubby are
handy at making thinks or have the tools even if we knew how

went to ebay and won the bid the postage was more than the cat tree,
had to cancel! tried again, asked the seller if it would support large
cats, was told no and now I'm flodded with cat tree's emails from ebay!

Lynn

P No Gree G O
May 23rd 06, 09:24 PM
Whew. I feel better.

-L.
May 24th 06, 05:29 AM
P No Gree G O wrote:
> Whew. I feel better.

No ****. I refused to read the thread simply because I couldn't stand
it.

-L.

PawsForThought
May 24th 06, 05:21 PM
ensoul wrote:
> thanks Barb and thanks all of you that replied....I really want to get
> them one of those tall cat tree's, has to be heavy duty because of
> their size and they are soooo expensive, neither me or my hubby are
> handy at making thinks or have the tools even if we knew how

Hi Lynn,
As a temporary measure, you could get one of the floor to ceiling cat
trees available at Walmart and Meijer. They're about $40 and should
support your cats. The perches are not that large though so that's why
I say a temporary measure. I have this tree and my cats start at the
back of the house, run full speed ahead, then pounce on to the cat tree
and it's none the worse for wear. They do this several times a day. I
also have a more expensive cat tree, but my cats seem to like this one
better.

Lauren

ensoul
May 24th 06, 11:09 PM
Lauren,

I haven seen those one's at Wal Mart (no Meijer's here) I really worry
if it would support them just weighed them, Rudy is 18 lbs and Moe is
21 lbs...I don't think they're big 'ol bodied would fit on the the
little perches, might not even support...gripes if they both were on it
at the same time, that would mean 39 lbs of moving weight!

I'm not making light of your offer and it is a good idea, TY

Lynn

PawsForThought
May 25th 06, 06:25 PM
ensoul wrote:
> Lauren,
>
> I haven seen those one's at Wal Mart (no Meijer's here) I really worry
> if it would support them just weighed them, Rudy is 18 lbs and Moe is
> 21 lbs...I don't think they're big 'ol bodied would fit on the the
> little perches, might not even support...gripes if they both were on it
> at the same time, that would mean 39 lbs of moving weight!
>
> I'm not making light of your offer and it is a good idea, TY
>
> Lynn

Hi Lynn,
Yeah, the perches aren't very big. They do support my cats but Mickey
is about 12 pounds and Meesha is around 8 pounds. That's why I was
thinking as a temporary solution. Another thought is to check Big Lots
if you have one in your area. They sometimes have cat trees with
larger perches but they're not the kind that go all the way from floor
to ceiling. The other one we have we got from DrsFosterSmith.com.
They have trees that also come in "deluxe" models that have wider
perches for larger cats. It sounds like your boys have lots of energy
and I really do think they'd benefit from some cat furniture. I know
in my house it's definitely saved wear and tear on the furniture. It
also provides more territory for the cats, although at first they might
be testing each other to see who is "top cat." :) Anyway, good luck
with your situation and I hope things work out.

Lauren