PDA

View Full Version : Innova (and Other Foods) and Struvite Crystals redux

Rona Y.
May 26th 06, 07:41 AM
My cat has recently gone through a bout with struvite crystals. During
her last vet visit, it was determined that the crystals had dissolved,
but there was still some sign of infection. She was placed on a low
dosage of antibiotics to make sure the bladder walls had healed with no
bacteria trapped within. She is due for another check-up on the 31st,
at which time she may be placed on Metacam or Tolfedine and Glucosamine
to heal the walls.

Now about her food...

She was on s/d when she was first diagnosed, and after the crystals had
dissolved, she was placed on c/d. She no longer has to be on one of
the prescription diets, so I am looking for a suitable food for her. I
asked the vet (via e-mail) about foods, and suggested continuing on
c/d, or using s/o. I could also switch to one of the Purina products
for bladder problems, or find another suitable food for keeping Kitty's
urine acidified. My cat sitter (Kitty has been staying wth her while
my mother is on an extended trip) is now using Innova, and has
recommended it for Kitty.

I wrote to Innova and they sent me the following information:

-----begin paste----
Innova Adult canned--as fed values:
Phosphorus .33%
Potassium .24%
Magnesium .03%
Calcium .36%
Sodium .26%

Innova Cat Lite canned--as fed values:
Phosphorus 0.36%
Potassium 0.18%
Magnesium 0.026%
Calcium 0.59%
Sodium 0.1%

The pH level that our cat foods produce within the urine are 6.4 - 6.6.
----end paste----

The pH levels they say their foods produce is a slight bit higher than
the 6.2 and 6.3 or 6.4 suggested for maintenance (that I read somewhere
here).

I also found the following values, which are recommended for cats prone
to struvite crystals (posted by Jean B.): phosphorous 0.5-0.9, sodium
0.2-0.6*, magnesium 0.04-0.10. I think these are dry matter values,
though.

My questions:

Is there a way to change DM to As-Fed values? I thought I had read it
somewhere on rpch-b but I can't find it anymore. If the values posted
by Jean B. are DMV, what would the ideal struvite-preventing as-fed
values be for those nutrients?

Do the values for Innova canned foods meet the requirements for a cat
prone to struvite crystals? She has only had one bout of crystals, but
I'd really like to prevent another bout.

Phil P.
May 26th 06, 09:31 PM
"Rona Y." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> at which time she may be placed on Metacam

Rona, Metacam is a NSAID and used as a *one time only* , *subq only*,
treatment in cats. Its a very risky and dangerous drug for cats. I strongly
advise against using it in cats.

Phil

Rona Y.
May 26th 06, 11:37 PM
Phil P. wrote:

> Rona, Metacam is a NSAID and used as a *one time only* , *subq only*,
> treatment in cats. Its a very risky and dangerous drug for cats. I strongly
> advise against using it in cats.
>
> Phil

Thanks for that! I'll e-mail my cat sitter asap to let her know that
if the vet suggests Metacam, to say no. Luckily her appointment isn't
until Wednesday!!

Thanks again for the warning!

rona

zooman
May 27th 06, 01:05 AM
Rona Y. wrote:
> My cat has recently gone through a bout with struvite crystals. During
> her last vet visit, it was determined that the crystals had dissolved,
> but there was still some sign of infection. She was placed on a low
> dosage of antibiotics to make sure the bladder walls had healed with no
> bacteria trapped within. She is due for another check-up on the 31st,
> at which time she may be placed on Metacam or Tolfedine and Glucosamine
> to heal the walls.
>
> Now about her food...
>
> She was on s/d when she was first diagnosed, and after the crystals had
> dissolved, she was placed on c/d. She no longer has to be on one of
> the prescription diets, so I am looking for a suitable food for her. I
> asked the vet (via e-mail) about foods, and suggested continuing on
> c/d, or using s/o. I could also switch to one of the Purina products
> for bladder problems, or find another suitable food for keeping Kitty's
> urine acidified. My cat sitter (Kitty has been staying wth her while
> my mother is on an extended trip) is now using Innova, and has
> recommended it for Kitty.
>
> I wrote to Innova and they sent me the following information:
>
> -----begin paste----
> Innova Adult canned--as fed values:
> Phosphorus .33%
> Potassium .24%
> Magnesium .03%
> Calcium .36%
> Sodium .26%
>
> Innova Cat Lite canned--as fed values:
> Phosphorus 0.36%
> Potassium 0.18%
> Magnesium 0.026%
> Calcium 0.59%
> Sodium 0.1%
>
> The pH level that our cat foods produce within the urine are 6.4 - 6.6.
> ----end paste----
>
> The pH levels they say their foods produce is a slight bit higher than
> the 6.2 and 6.3 or 6.4 suggested for maintenance (that I read somewhere
> here).
>
> I also found the following values, which are recommended for cats prone
> to struvite crystals (posted by Jean B.): phosphorous 0.5-0.9, sodium
> 0.2-0.6*, magnesium 0.04-0.10. I think these are dry matter values,
> though.
>
> My questions:
>
> Is there a way to change DM to As-Fed values? I thought I had read it
> somewhere on rpch-b but I can't find it anymore. If the values posted
> by Jean B. are DMV, what would the ideal struvite-preventing as-fed
> values be for those nutrients?
>
> Do the values for Innova canned foods meet the requirements for a cat
> prone to struvite crystals? She has only had one bout of crystals, but
> I'd really like to prevent another bout.

zooman
May 27th 06, 01:31 AM
Hello Rona, I'm a former vet tech as well as a current animal
physiologist and zoologist. I have found an elegant solution to the
struvite problem in cats all species and sizes of cats. Plus I have
had a great deal of experience with this problem; and I have an 11 year
old "former" tom cat who is predisposed to the problem who has been
symptom free for 10 years since I put him on the regimen I shall give
you. One: First I have made it a point to give him water in such a way
that he cannot refuse generous amounts. This is done simply by giving
him about one teaspoon of his favorite canned catfood. Mine likes
Purina flavors. I take a fork and smash this as finely as I can in his
bowl to which is added about 1.5 tablespoons of water. This is also a
great time to sprinkle on top a dusting of your favorite dry vitamin
concoction. Second: After your kitty eats this, then simply feed her
Kirkland's Low Magnesium Premium Cat Food, available from Costco, an
amount which she will consume in about 12 -13 minutes. This product is
healthful and is inexpensive. Don't concern yourself if the kitty
howls for more; tell her that,"There is aways tomorrow". She will soon
devour her meal each and every day; she will not starve, she will
become feline trim, as she should, and you shall have trteated,indeed ,
eliminated her malady therapeutically at no great cost. Do NOT worry
about your kitty being hungry; carnivores can easily go as much as a
week or ten days without food so long as they have free access to a
water dish with clean fresh daily water, in addition to that which you
put in the food. Let me know how it goes. I can be reached at
(Take out the "nospam" from the email
address before you use it).

zooman
May 27th 06, 06:08 AM
The missing syllable in the truncated "polym" is obvious; it should
read "polymath"